GOTY 2012 - The Walking Dead
  • I agree.  Rather bizarrely the official website FAQ features a note saying that multiple play throughs are recommended.  Not sure what good could come of that.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    What? WHere are you lot upter?

Blurts. Not 'blerts', that Joey Barton fuck can't spell for humbugs.

edit: re: fez pc. what?" again
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • No Fez PC as of yet. Pending.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    That's probably my fault. I thought that Arkadey was talking about the actual GotY not Fez which we were talking about at the time, this was half caused by having just jumped out of the TWD thread....!
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    00000946.png
  • The difficulty with The Walking Dead is that, as game, it is horrendously hamstrung by the narrative and, as a narrative, it is shambolically shackled by the gameplay.

I have read claims that it is a game because you are pressing buttons and controlling the main character.  In that respect, it is no more a game than a model railway where you push a red button and step back to watch the toys trundle along their predetermined paths for ten seconds.  TWD does a better job of maintaining the illusion of interactivity, but that's all it is; an illusion.  And at times that 'gameplay' does its best to break the story.

As a story, I'm two episodes in and all I've seen is derivative plot bordering on widespread plagiarism, the poorly acted lines delivered in the stilted way  videogame dialogue usually is.  Given various posts here and tweets I have read giving a little too much away, I'm reasonably confident that I know the full outcome, but right now I'm baffled as to why people care.  The film and television threads suggest that people here enjoy interesting stories told by talented actors, and TWD would struggle to be further from.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    To me, its a hark back to the old point and clicks, with an engaging story (agreed, poorly acted, but on their budget, which i don't know but I'm guessing at, they couldn't do much better. FACT.), a fucking wonderful 'lil lass I grew to care for, and a bunch of protagonists/characters I wanted to punch to fuck.

All in all, its a game, its presented as a game, it is a game, its not a book, its a game, which you boot, go through the menu and play. Its a game, in much the same way Broken Sword/DoTT and such are.

And I still haven't moved on in Episode 3, not through boredom, but through being committed to other stuff currently. Its one I'm looking forward to booting up and playing again.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Also re: is it a game nonsense. Doom isn't a game 'cos all you really do is walk back/forward/left/right and click shoot. Am I right?

Am I fuck. Its a game, as is TWD. Is Pong a game just because you move up and down a screen? Sure fucking is.

If you sat there not pressing a thing, it ain't a game son.
  • I think interactivity is the definition of what makes a game - you get some level of input. But the amount of input is irrelevant. It can be frequent high speed input like a bullet hell shmup, tactical and thoughtful input like a srpg, or choice level input in a text adventure analogue like Heavy Rain (I use HR as an example since I haven't personally played TWD).

It doesn't matter how simple or minimal the input is, so long as it is meaningful within the context of the game. If TWD operates as a story based on branching choices that need player input, that's as much a game as is deciding where to move your troops in an Advance Wars map.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • The amount of input is extremely relevant, otherwise switching on my kettle is a game.
  • adkm1979 wrote:
    The amount of input is extremely relevant, otherwise switching on my kettle is a game.

But how do you win or lose??

TWD won me over because I get totally sucked into anything with even an ounce of immersion.  It did that because it gave me at least the illusion of choice when I didn't really have it.  It made me care about the characters, made me think of Lee as "me," made me think about what I was saying to them.

The fact that a simple point and click game at heart had me agonising for ages over who to give food out to, and left me in genuine floods of tears at the end has to say something.
  • Am with Andy here, for the most part. Went in with reasonable expectations but it just don't work.

I think choice-em-ups are a legit interesting game design category, though I'm not convinced they're immediately more appropriate to fill with cutscene-y type narrative schemes than any other videogame. Gap between emotional realism and mechanism is still pretty stark.

It's interesting that the most hallowed pointyclickies of yore were comedies.
  • adkm1979 wrote:
    The amount of input is extremely relevant, otherwise switching on my kettle is a game.

What system do you play kettle on?
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    One that runs using kettle chips.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    FUCKING WINNER
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Vela wrote:
    What system do you play kettle on?
    I've got a Bosch kettle!

advantage-styline-black-kettle.jpg
    Elmlea wrote:
    adkm1979 wrote:
    But how do you win or lose??
    He wins if it was already turned on at plug, he loses if he only flicked the kettle on without checking the plug.

Win = Hot water
    Lose = Cold water
  • Getting cold water when I wanted hot would elicit a strong emotional response from me. GOTY?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    KOTY
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    Getting cold water when I wanted hot would elicit a strong emotional response from me. GOTY?
    I might play this tonight, has anybody got any suggestions for some tense background music I could play while 'playing' this?
  • Moto70 wrote:
    Tempy wrote:
    Getting cold water when I wanted hot would elicit a strong emotional response from me. GOTY?
    I might play this tonight, has anybody got any suggestions for some tense background music I could play while 'playing' this?

A fire alarm.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Collins define game as

a contest with rules, the result being determined by skill, strength, or chance

How many, how often, and to what level do any of those apply in TWD?
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    That's a bit disingenuous as Collins provides multiple definitions for the word 'game'.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • What about videogame, as most single player games aren't really contests also are we still arguing this
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    EvilRedEye wrote:
    That's a bit disingenuous as Collins provides multiple definitions for the word 'game'.

I'm not trying to be disingenuous, it's the definition from the 28 listed that applies in this discussion.

I think TWD is a game. However as I said many pages ago it's barely a game.
  • Mod74 wrote:
    Collins define game as

a contest with rules, the result being determined by skill, strength, or chance

How many, how often, and to what level do any of those apply in TWD?

There is the chance the game won't bug out on you.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Mod74 wrote:
    I'm not trying to be disingenuous, it's the definition from the 28 listed that applies in this discussion.

It isn't though, it's the first, 'an amusement or pastime'. In fact Oxford even uses 'a computer game' as the example in its equivalent definition.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    So TWD is a game because it's an amusement or pastime?

CASE/THREAD CLOSED

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!