Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    :)

I liked the Matrix sequels too.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Don't get me wrong - I didn't think the Matrix sequels or the SW prequels were great.

They were OK. I enjoyed them.
  • All apart from Episode 1 though, right? Otherwise we can't be friends.
  • Next you’ll be saying that Highlander 2 ‘wasn’t all that bad’.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I honestly think The Phantom Menace is the best of the prequel trilogy just because the technology wasn't there yet to allow it to become an endless CGI sloggathon.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Phantom Menace has good bits but there's too much filler and the kid is annoying.

Was a pity losing Qui Gon and Darth Maul so early on - was shocked at that.

The 3 way light sabre fight remains the best fight of all the episodes.

Highlander 2 was dross for the record.
  • The prequels were bad.very bad.
    but I'm in Davy's camp here.they had SOME good elements. I too liked McGregor,I liked maul. I liked count drac....count dooku.
    I found nothing to latch onto in TLJ. What once were decent characters,now turned into cunts for the most part.

Also know what the prequels offered that these sequels dont?
    Some sort of contiuity. Three movies forming a trilogy to tell one overarching story.
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • davyK wrote:
    Highlander 2 was dross for the record.

Thank fuck for that. No need for a ban request. Carry on.
  • RedDave2 wrote:
    Still can't understand why last Jedi is seen as the film which broke star wars when there are the three pieces of pure drivel known as the prequels out there.
    i think it's poss easier to separate the prequels from the original trilogy because it's not really about the 'main' characters. the new films promised to bring back the old heroes.
    for me, star wars is the adventures of Luke Skywalker. so TLJ being effectively the sequel and the end of that, is more 'damaging' (for me) to that overall story.

Also, i agree that ep 1 is the 'best' (or more accurately, most tolerable) of the prequels.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Davy's post is wild. I actually prefer episode 1 to 2, because that second becomes far too bloated, self indulgent, and Lucas genuinely wants to do some of the tricks of his contemporaries, such as telling a love story. 2 is the real garbage fire and this hatred for 8 is wild
  • My favourite was the HYPE TRAIN leading up to Ep1. Much more fun than the actual movie turned out to be.
  • you might be right pop. it might just be the hype for Ep1 still burning away...in fact i was so hyped on it's release, i actually enjoyed it the first time i saw it. it was only really on subsequent watches i realised what a large percentage of it was stupid/annoying.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    Davy's post is wild. I actually prefer episode 1 to 2, because that second becomes far too bloated, self indulgent, and Lucas genuinely wants to do some of the tricks of his contemporaries, such as telling a love story. 2 is the real garbage fire and this hatred for 8 is wild

You know what? I'll give 1 a watch over the weekend. Has been a long time....
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    My favourite was the HYPE TRAIN leading up to Ep1. Much more fun than the actual movie turned out to be.

The "making of" Ep1 on the DVD/BR is a great watch.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I don't think it's on the BR but it is on the official YouTube.

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Ah - it's on the 2 disc DVD I have so I assumed it would be on the BR. My BR boxset has a couple of extra features discs so maybe it's on one of those. Will check.

It's a full on display of what can go wrong when you have too many resources.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Well. Watched Ep.1 again for the 1st time in ages.

Have to agree with @EvilRedEye - it looks better than the other two. It looks gorgeous actually. The Naboo design helps that out but its use of more real locations helps it a great deal.

Neeson was great. A full film of Neeson and McGregor would have been splendid.

The pod race is great fun but a bit too long (I think the disc version of the race is longer than the theatrical version) and the space hijinks toward the end look great too.

The big battle does have that War & Peace thing that Lucas was looking for. Once the action starts in this film it is rather good. 

The 3 way light sabre fight is superb. As I said before - best ever fight in all of them. What a shame we lost Maul.

But the main problem is the weight of its seriousness which sci fi just can't do - or at least can't maintain throughout a film. SW is hokum and that was forgot about.

Also there is just too much in the film.

The underwater sequence - didn't need 2 creature encounters - they are even resolved in the same way. One would have been enough.

During the pod race - didn't need the 2 repair sequences - one would have been enough.

Lucas just had too much he liked and it needed a strong will to chop the stuff that wasn't needed. There is a good film in there somewhere but it would have needed more discipline and less resources to bring it out. I don't think an editor could save it.

Narratively it didn't move as slowly as I remember - there's just too much to get through. It wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be though. It had to tell how Anniken is found and how Palpatine gets to be Chancellor and it does that - just a mite contrived with Lucas trying to be more grown up instead of more Flash Gordon.

Hate the exposition about midichlorians - we just didn't need that in the SW universe.

Jar Jar was annoying but not quite as much as I remembered. A bit less of him and more ear friendly linguistics would have helped. i can see what Lucas was doing in creating a full CGI character and maybe that went into the design. Still annoying.

The wee lad wasn't as annoying as I remember either. Some scenes are wooden but others aren't. When he is having fun (e.g. in the fighter) it's more agreeable.

Too much money in the bank doesn't help creativity. And these films are proof of that.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I think 2 is the most ostentatious and bad. Aside from some crap slapstick I don't think 1 is that bad.
    Poodoo
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    If I was gonna remake the prequels I think I'd rework The Phantom Menace into the Episode 0/prelude film it seems it was meant to be under Lucas' original scheme and do a new Clone Wars trilogy. It's the least fundamentally rotten and you could just about make Ewan McGregor work as slightly older Obi-Wan at this point.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Will move onto Ep3 tonight. I'm of the opinion that these could have been compressed into two films and they would have been rip roaring.
  • davyK wrote:
    Will move onto Ep3 tonight. I'm of the opinion that these could have been compressed into two films and they would have been rip roaring.

They could also just not have done them at all. Really, they add nothing to the original star wars trilogy and only did harm in my opinion. A single prequel movie might have worked.

SFV - reddave360
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    At the very beginning Lucas planned for five pre-ANH films!
  • The prequels could have been ok as a trilogy with a few tweaks. Have Anakin start off as a young man, already an ace pilot (none of this "oops I saved the universe" shite from the end of Ep 1). Make him from some war-torn world where he's been fighting his whole life but he's still basically a good guy. That would give him some backstory on wanting to bring peace to the glaxy through order rather than airy fairy Jedi bullshit. The Jedi take him in because he's too powerful to be left unchecked. Turn him into Vader (but still human) at the end of Episode 2 so it's like the dark Empire ending (it's like poetry, it rhymes!). Then Episode 3 is some sort of score draw where the rebels survive and cripple the Empire so it takes them a couple of decades to get back to where they are at the start of ANH, and Vader gets fucked up and turned into robo-Vader. 

New Anakin actor needed. New director. Less tedious conversations in corridors and meeting rooms. And Darth Jar Jar is now canon. Trilogy fixed.
  • Rogue One was better than any of the prequels or sequels (so far).
  • I have a mancrush on poprock.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    RedDave2 wrote:
    davyK wrote:
    They could also just not have done them at all. Really, they add nothing to the original star wars trilogy and only did harm in my opinion. A single prequel movie might have worked.

I agree with that alright.

If someone was going to watch Star Wars for the 1st time I'd advise to watch 4-6 and forget about the rest. Maybe watch Rogue 1 after that but only if you really wanted more.
  • davyK wrote:
    :) I liked the Matrix sequels too.

The Matrix sequels are among the worst films I have ever seen.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • You should try watching some really bad films.
  • Mostly try and avoid them. But I did once upon a time go and see Freddy vs Jason in the cinema. I blame my mate.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!