Elite: Dangerous
  • Vastik wrote:
    Yeah, I found space stuff so disappointing in NMS, this has loads more depth/simulation vibes.
    This is kind of what I was talking about when I was talking about (and being derided for) NMS lacking a sense of scale.
    You and me both. In the end though I thought NMS did have some sense of scale. The planets were what let it down IMO. But space navigation etc was awful. Hell, how space looked was terrible.
    Elite feels more authentic....
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • Last night Elm and I met up in a wing and went out bounty hunting together. So much fun, we spent a good hour or so hunting down our targets, having one of us pull them out of supercruise then take them out together, splitting the earnings down the middle.

Never tried bounty hunting before but it was great fun and the combat feels fantastic!
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Yeh, you want to ditch the sidewinder and the eagle as quicky as possible to be honest. 
    They aren't any cop. 

Adder and Viper are decent-ish starter multi-role ships that you can buy with your starting bucks, with the vulture being, all told, a nice bounty hunting ship but that's 4.5m. 

Don't forget you can store modules and lasers you have bought before selling a ship, then transfer then to the new ship if it has the relevant mounting points.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Vastik wrote:
    Yeah, I found space stuff so disappointing in NMS, this has loads more depth/simulation vibes.
    This is kind of what I was talking about when I was talking about (and being derided for) NMS lacking a sense of scale.
    You and me both. In the end though I thought NMS did have some sense of scale. The planets were what let it down IMO. But space navigation etc was awful. Hell, how space looked was terrible.
    Elite feels more authentic....

I remember hoots of derision at the claims NMS looked bland, not at the scale stuff. There was a discussion about scale which was put to bed when the game released and the planets were found to be massive, not little Mario Galaxy planetoids.

I also vaguely remember someone going on about "a lack of majesty" or some other intangibly subjective nonsense at the time, but the scale stuff wasn't an issue.

Now there's this authentic chat, when it was clear to everyone from the very first reveal, never mind the rest of the hype prior to release, that authentic space travel and imagery was given the heave ho in favour of a heavily stylised 70s sci-fi fantasy epic theme.

I'm pretty sure Elite was mentioned many times throughout the NMS thread whenever anyone was hoping for an authentic space sim, good to see some of you are finally getting the chance to enjoy it now, but knocking NMS for not being Elite is missing the point a bit.
  • Vastik
    Show networks
    Twitter
    curiousmachine
    PSN
    Curious__Machine
    Steam
    CuriousMachine
    Wii
    Jammy

Send message
    I loved the way NMS looked, those vibrant, stylised retro sci-fi worlds were great. 
    Just wanted more substance to the flying around bit.
  • Vastik wrote:
    I loved the way NMS looked, those vibrant, stylised retro sci-fi worlds were great.  Just wanted more substance to the flying around bit.
    Yup totally agree.
    Back to Elite, do all players start around Eravate? Or is there a set of starting systems?
  • I think everyone starts in the same place.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Edit: never mind.
  • Every time I go to play elite I remember I have never quite sorted out my flight stick control layout or keyboard hot keys, then I can't remember how to retract my hard points or something, then I spend an hour dicking about on the menus then I turn it off.

Really should get voice attack working.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Elite D is quite a ways down my pile of shame get to list but this shit is pushing it up.

• Amazing :)
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • I have my first Elite story.
    I took on a mission  to find and salvage some data in Eravate and then return it. So I jetted off to the system and poottled around for a good 15 minutes. I get an update to try searching around Eravate 2. Off I toddle. I see the signal of what I need to collect. I drop out of frameshift and deploy my cargo scoop. I lined up the salvage and had it dead centre. At the last second it suddenly veered off course, struck my hull and was destroyed. I didnt get he mission failure message so I kept checking to see if it had respawned. 15 minutes later and no joy. So I abandoned the mission and returned to dock.

HOW DO YOU LIKE THEM APPLES NMS???????

One thing that bowls me over in this is the sheer scale of some of the (extra)solar systems. Some of those planets are waaaaay out there.
  • Take a trip out to Hutton Orbital, it's well worth it.

Handy mission hint, drop into the solar system, then lock onto the Navigation Beacon, approach that sucker and scan it (select it from the target menu in NORMAL space) and then you get more precise info for the mission location.
    Also those missions that say a certain person will be in an area at a certain time, I think are bollocks, I've completed them all earlier than the time stated by scanning the nav beacon and heading to the destination it coughs up.
  • pantyfire wrote:
    Take a trip out to Hutton Orbital, it's well worth it. Handy mission hint, drop into the solar system, then lock onto the Navigation Beacon, approach that sucker and scan it (select it from the target menu in NORMAL space) and then you get more precise info for the mission location. Also those missions that say a certain person will be in an area at a certain time, I think are bollocks, I've completed them all earlier than the time stated by scanning the nav beacon and heading to the destination it coughs up.
    Super tip cheers Ill do that. Any idea what those unauthorised beacons are for?

The feel of this game is very different, its sort of like a job. A space trucker.Its very relaxing yet clinical in a way. It really hammers home the sheer scale of space and the feeling of isolation. Its a rather splendid beast.
  • Fucking Hutton Orbital... Bring a book or something.
  • Long way is it?
  • I managed to hang out with the daughter, have a bit of brekkie, fold the laundry, hang up the next basket-ful and had a text chat with some mates during the supercruise.

Yeah, it's a long way. 

Had a criminal mastermind who wanted to go there and I got refused by the station three times before docking. I was bricking it a little. And it totally wasn't worth what he was paying.

Also, howya Wookie? Long time!
  • Goddamit.

It's a rite of passage.
  • I WENT TO HUTTON ORBITAL AND ALL I GOT WAS

actually you need to find out yourself...
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    They should do what Eve did and have a browser and music player built into the ship, for those long stretches. A dashboard Spotify app would be great.
  • Funny, I was wondering why that isn't in more games. I remember Project Gotham or one of those (MSR?) having the option to play the music off your hard drive on the radio. Am I right in thinking that the sound went all crappy in tunnels?

Anyway yeah. Spotify built in would be a nice touch, as long as it didn't have ads.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Deep Space Nine deal with Twitch.
  • I managed to hang out with the daughter, have a bit of brekkie, fold the laundry, hang up the next basket-ful and had a text chat with some mates during the supercruise.

Yeah, it's a long way. 

Had a criminal mastermind who wanted to go there and I got refused by the station three times before docking. I was bricking it a little. And it totally wasn't worth what he was paying.

Also, howya Wookie? Long time!

I'm good thanks mate! How are you? It has been a long time :)

• Mental note, stop reading this thread cause you guys are making me want to buy the game.
    Q. Anyone using the thrustmaster flight stick on ps4? Does it improve the controls?

One last question, anyone here been beyond beagle point?
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    you guys are making me want to buy the game. 

Don't. it's shit.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Curmudgeon. It's great.
  • I play this in VR sometimes and for about three seconds once I was genuinely convinced I was going to die alone on an inhospitable planet in the back arse of the galaxy. It's still my favourite VR moment ever.
  • It must be totes amaze in VR.
    Almost worth buying the rig for alone.
  • pantyfire wrote:
    It must be totes amaze in VR. Almost worth buying the rig for alone.

It can be but the resolution can be awful, When it's 4K per eye I doubt I'd do anything else. It still can amaze mind. Going about in a SRV for the first time is proper amazing until you want to vom.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I'm holding out for that hi def vr Elite. Not going vr until that's possible.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!