Elite: Dangerous
  • You're quite right to tbh. I love my Vive in the same way I loved my Spectrum but it's going to be so much better in 2 or 3 years time.
  • Vastik
    Show networks
    Twitter
    curiousmachine
    PSN
    Curious__Machine
    Steam
    CuriousMachine
    Wii
    Jammy

Send message
    Found it's quite risky to hyperspace jump while multitasking, have almost burnt to a crisp a couple of times by not pulling up quickly enough when you drop to Supercruise and are heading straight into the heart of a star :D
  • :D
    I get a slight moment of panic every time I come out of jump and bam there is a gigantic star dead ahead lol
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • Just picked this up from cex for £32 quid (had vouchers to be used, hopefully I'll get a chance at firing it up tonight).
  • So got as far as 2nd tutorial mission. After crashing into azeban city multiple times I got inside. Then couldn't figure out where the landing pad was or how to deploy landing gear. Got bored and turned it off. Good times.
  • In the voice of William Shatner (optional paid-for mod)

"All your people must learn before you can reach for the stars!"

Or you know, maybe go play something else which isn't a soulless dirge .
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Or just don't play it you. Some of us enjoy it.
  • I'm just going to pepper this thread with Shatner Star Trek quotes now cos it seems apt:

“Worlds are conquered, galaxies destroyed — but a woman is always a woman.”

And a shit game is always a shit game. Spot on Kirk lad.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Well I did have a 21 hour day so probably wasn't the best time to try it. Will give it another bash (literally).
  • It's a grower, take some time to play through the tutorials and then just spend a while in the game getting to know how your ship feels. It didn't grip me straight away but once it did, wow.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Thought I'd dip my toe back in and went through the tutorial again as a refresher, only I can't complete the advanced combat training mission. Keep being ganked instantly when the two other ships show up, dunno what you're supposed to do there. Chaff doesn't work, tried fucking about with the power settings etc but that seems to make things worse whether you favour shield, weapons or and sacrifice a bit of engine power. I've failed about six times on the trot.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    You know, we may never learn how to insulate manned space craft adequately against stellar radiation which is by far the biggest hurdle in interplanetary travel so at least we have Elite D to mimicry those boring bits we'd miss out on that pad the beauty.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Taken from Shatner's Twitter.
  • @sparks.
    I did that but I can't remember how.
    The pips to various systems is something you constantly juggle. So when you are not actually firing throw all pips into shields and engines for tighter turning then when you zero in pips into weapons.
    There's an old technique were you just orient to face a ship then slam the engines into reverse and fly backwards shooting the enemy. Dunno if that would work.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Give it time,watch some introductory YouTube vids and get space truckin.ive only flown about 10 missions but man this game is a grower.ive not yet fired a shot in anger! It feels like what I imagine flying an intergalactic space ship would feel like. I do hope they sort out the PS4 sleep issues soon.
  • Vastik
    Show networks
    Twitter
    curiousmachine
    PSN
    Curious__Machine
    Steam
    CuriousMachine
    Wii
    Jammy

Send message
    Yeah, i've enjoyed it immensely so far. Just love the atmosphere and the simulationeyness.

A few data delivery missions and a spot of Navigation Beacon wanted level hunting has got me a fancy new Viper MkIII.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    FSD'd into a neutron star system last night. Scary thing.

Also gotten the hang of fuel scooping and had a balls to the wall job retrieving trade data with my cargo scoop as it was falling into a gas giant. Mainly because i'd rammed it bodging the first two runs.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Argh it's gripped me.

Close to my first mil and I'm just upgrading my Sidewinder for lack of direction atm. I'll probably go multi-purpose as I fancy some exploring on top of combat. Mining apparently gives less creds than you'd think unless you have top tier cargo capacity ships.
  • This thing is a timesink!!!
    Said Id have a quick go last night. Did a data delivery and then decided to finally do some combat so I hopped over to the nav beacon and camped. Takes a while doesn't it?
    I initially found a wing of 2 fairly high level wanted crims, but there were wings of good guys engaged. I thought Id get my 1% damage in so I opened fire too and they rounded on me and took me out in about 15 seconds. (Im flying in an Eagle).

I went back and picked on some easier prey. I took out a Sidewinder easily and then a hauler that had no weapons :D But cos my guns are so weedy it nearly escaped before I took it down. I did though and I cashed in! Checked the clock and its well gone 1:30am. Sigh. Im thinking of saving up for a Cobra MkIII.

Any tips for making quickish money?
    Bounty hunting seems decent.
  • For me I ran some data delivery missions on a loop until I had enough to upgrade my jump drive and fuel tanks, this opened up more missions as I was now able to jump further. These paid more so I saved up and upgraded my cargo hold. Started accepting more delivery missions until I saved enough to buy a Cobra. From there I teamed up with Elmlea and we started running bounty hunting missions together, then the money started rolling in!

Oh also buy a discovery scanner and run it at every system you jump to, eventually you'll start discovering more objects, you can then sell this data to the universal cartographics option in the menu when you dock at space ports.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • I made about 100m from normal bounty hunting ringed planets. Go to a high res sure and basically act like Philip Hammond, sniping kills after the big boys have engaged the pirates. You can get upwards of 150k for a large ship participation kill. You don't have to get the final shot on the ship just enough to register as a kill participant. 
    This was all in an Adder. I then bought a Asp Explorer, which was a absolute belief of a ship, fast marketable, enormous jump range, decent hard point locations. But then they nerfed that ship a little it's now a good ship. 

The above took about a year. 

I then made about 600m in a few weeks by gaming the system. 
    First it was skimmer missions on a planet - get as many skimmer kill missions as you can by taking them and then quitting and loading into another instance i.e. Open play/solo/private and taking more. Do this until you have 20missions at the same location and then fly off to the planet and kill the skimmers, from your ship using missiles. This was on average being me about 30m per run. But it's obviously very grindy and against the spirit of the game. 
    The other thing is data delivery missions, get a decent rep in a system then take 20 short hop data delivery missions as above by board hopping then deliver them all at once.
  • I got a federal corvette and a fer de lance out of the above exploits. 
    The fer de lance is an absolute joy to fly in combat.

Think what you will of exploits but when you've been putting the time and hours in over at least a year and barely made 100m there's no way I'm waiting 4 years to get a chance of flying a nice ship.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Gd tips thx.

Peeps big up long haul passenger missions for big bux.
  • Google data delivery exploit and skimmer exploit. The skimmer might have been nerfed and you need horizons for it but as far as i am aware the data one still works. I used it to federal rank up as well, which is another ludicrous grind. 
    They have specific locations and system states for them to work efficiently but they work.
  • I heard you can get bucks from passenger missions but they can be a utter pain in the arse. 
    Passengers with really picky foibles that demand to get of half way through a several hour jump plan or passengers that Dena and to be taken to a different location way off of your route.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    And illegal passengers that make stations fire on you hilarious/not hilarious.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    The most existentially crippling night yesterday as i picked up a massacre mission harmless rank but the system only contained high intensity conflict zones so off i go anyway. Within seconds of choosing a faction something slams into my backside and takes out my engines. There I am alt-tabbing while drifting in the middle of this crunchfest working for how to fix this. Rebooting the ship systems is meant to help and oxygen goes offline hud turns off while that's all happening then it boots then nothing fucking works including the fucking shields and i blow up.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    For a change of pace i decided to buy a cheap hauler and go all mining. Cheap laser, 3 bin refinery and drones for collection (no shields but don't tell the open game griefers). Made my way to an ice ring world and spent 3 hours running out of single use!!!!! Drones and trying to collect cargo like a heron trying to catch a basketball. How the fuck do you make money out of that.
  • Lol. Mining is for a certain mindset. Vegans basically. 

For conflict zones, if you have anything less than a tricked out python, conda, ferdy, corvette then you are going to get nailed. 
    OR you have to play it extremely cagey. 
    I.e. Go to the outer edge of the zone look for a straggler or seriously injured ship, or one that is being gang banned, snipe it and run, don't get drawn back into the main zone. 
    Getting a number of kills like this will take a while. 

If you do have a tricked out ship you can dominate a zone and turn it one sided fairly quickly.
  • Jeez I found that out the hard way.even a low conflict zone is too much for my Eagle.yet the mission required me to only be mostly harmless

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!