Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I have a well tricked out viper. Even then, two medium bandits are about the most I'd take on by myself. Had a few very close scrapes.
  • I'm getting into this again. I like to spread it between VR and monitor. Both look amazing for different reasons.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    pantyfire wrote:
    Lol. Mining is for a certain mindset. Vegans basically.  For conflict zones, if you have anything less than a tricked out python, conda, ferdy, corvette then you are going to get nailed.  OR you have to play it extremely cagey.  I.e. Go to the outer edge of the zone look for a straggler or seriously injured ship, or one that is being gang banned, snipe it and run, don't get drawn back into the main zone.  Getting a number of kills like this will take a while.  If you do have a tricked out ship you can dominate a zone and turn it one sided fairly quickly.

Yeah it was a burn but a healing one. I just figured if a station was offering me a low-ranked mission they'd be low-ranked opportunities.

It's pretty good though that modules can be sold for no loss. Encourages experimentation. I'm just gonna convert the hauler into a racked up transport and give trading/exploring a go.

What manner of people enjoy mining? Jesus. At least in Eve Online the economy is so player driven there's a demand for that work.
  • It's definitely better looking on the Vive since some update but still lacking compared to a monitor. It really can take the breath away in VR one minute and go to meh 2 minutes later, and it's the difference between atmosphere and visuals. This might be the most atmospheric game I've ever played in VR and also one of the ugliest. When it's 4K per eye, as I've said before, it's going to be unbelievable. 

It's hard to describe, but everything is kind of heightened in VR, so when it's bad it's extra bad and when it's good it's amazing. The sound design feels stunning in VR, especially the echo inside the stations, which is nearly as good and awe inspiring as the silence in space. Room scale visuals don't have to be good, but seated stuff, especially a game as slow as this, needs great shinies.
  • Interesting vr insights thanks. 
    Have you tried walking around your cockpit? 
    I saw some posts on the ed forums saying people get up and stretch their legs and have a little still around their cockpits, using the free look camera mode I guess.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Are the co-pilot chairs only of use to Horizons people?
  • To be honest I don't know if the other players avatars appear in your ship or not. 
    I don't really see the point of this job sharing feature either it's not as if elite is a knockabout fun with your mates type of game.
    If there the space equivalent of raids that could only be done with a crewed up set of ships or something then yeah, but...
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Yeah some proper cooperative missions would be grand. Some GTA heist stuff mayber where different players in a wing have to be different ships for different roles. Break someone out of a prison station.

Did my first passenger mission last night for a cool 470,000 creds for not much trouble on the requests (she just wanted some consumer electronics, though they were contraband in her destination system which was hairy) and about 200ly there and back. I can't figure other kinds of runs can beat that cash.

Also bought Horizons. Bring on cartwheeling out of control down ravines for 5 minutes like I did in the tutorial.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    So much of this game is [10] best space game of awl tyme but the ambition is incredibly narrow in scope for an open world game.
  • Yup.
    The simulation part of it is excellent, just the right balance between sim and arcade, so you feel like you are using some skill to fly about. the actual 'game' parts of it are a bit lacking, it needs more content and you need to be able to interact with the simulation in more meaningful ways.
    The next expansion might space legs. But if there's nothing to do/interact with when you get out of your ship then what's the point?
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    They need a large team of artists. There's very little difference in feel between the three superpowers. Having slightly different ship varients between them would add diversity without having to design faction specific craft. Drastically different approaches to commerce, law-breaking etc. With the Empire allowing self-slavery you could imagine taking on mining jobs-supply runs in place of fines.

It's weird seeing Feddie gunships for sale in an Empire port.
  • But the imperials have the sleek silver 1950s style ships like the cutter and the federation have the slab sided office blocks style ships.
  • It's a pretty small team isn't it? And it's still got another 5 years of content. The Horizons update was a Biggie but I'm assuming similar scope for the next yearly one.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I guess i'm Han Pretendo thinking i'd seen most of the ship classes. Not even glimpsed a clipper.
  • pantyfire wrote:
    To be honest I don't know if the other players avatars appear in your ship or not. 
    I don't really see the point of this job sharing feature either it's not as if elite is a knockabout fun with your mates type of game.
    If there the space equivalent of raids that could only be done with a crewed up set of ships or something then yeah, but...

They do! Elm and I met up and shared a ship. Was great fun. I did the guns whilst Elm operated the flight controls.

Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Is there a way to make the map work a bit better? I'm finding it very hard to search around more than a small distance from where I am, as the stars are too far away from the grid plane. Is there some way to change the grid plane?
  • The map is beautiful but a nightmare to use, just go here instead put in what you are looking for and then text search the system or station name in the game map and plot a route. 
    https://eddb.io/
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Easier on pc as you can just use the keyboard to search.
  • voices wrote:
    Is there a way to make the map work a bit better? I'm finding it very hard to search around more than a small distance from where I am, as the stars are too far away from the grid plane. Is there some way to change the grid plane?

On Xbox you can press X to switch the zoom to go up and down through the grid
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Zoom doesn't really help select far off stuff though. I was trying to go through and work out where all the old systems I knew from Frontier were, but I couldn't quite remember all the names so it was a pain.

I'm on pc, but playing in VR. Searching works, but relies on you knowing the name, and also requires me to take the headset off.

First world problems I know, but the map is really limited. At the very least it should let you plot a custom route (unless I've missed how you do that).
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Why do you need to out of interest?

There options to change routes to most economical and fastest in one of the map tabs.

Realising what players mean by "the bubble" when you zoom out and actually see how small the area of inhabited galaxies is was another Elite moment.
  • Map is practically broken in VR
  • n0face wrote:
    Map is practically broken in VR

It gives me vertigo.

• I'd like to plot a custom route so that I can go to one place via another.
  • Vastik
    Show networks
    Twitter
    curiousmachine
    PSN
    Curious__Machine
    Steam
    CuriousMachine
    Wii
    Jammy

Send message
    Map is definitely something i've struggled the most with so far. No idea how to reach mission destinations if route plotting fails. Guess I need a ship with a better jump drive. 

Been enjoying just hanging around the start area so far, so it's not too much of an issue yet. Swapped my Viper MkIII for the Cobra MKIII, which is cool but sloooow at turning in dog fights.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I've been dog fighting in an Adder so it's all like tokyo drift now i'm cobra'd too.
  • I`m trading slaves in Imperial space. Classic elite, love it, though you need permits for all the old school frontier trade routes. Boo!
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Did anyone pledge to a faction for any particular reason? I'm indecisive.
  • In general, don't, it just causes problems down the line if you run into NPCs pledged to a rival. 
    But if you do, pledge for Aisling Duval, you need to get to a certain level and maintain that level for x amount of weeks to then be able to buy the prismatic shields which are meant to be pretty bloody good. 
    https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?t=180630&p=2782266#post2782266

You are probably better off putting the effort in to unlocking and ranking engineers tbh.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Yeah I started my 24 jump trip to the engine lass last night.

Realised how horrible the underside hardpoints on the cobra are. Literally cannot put fixed weapons there without one having blocked line of sight.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!