Where next for online MP FPSes? (The next big thing?)
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    The last two or three CoD games have been pretty good at adding stuff beyond the game though. Whether that's DLC or services they have set a high bar even if the game itself is more or less the same thing.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Just read a post in the Battlefield 3 thread by Davie that suggests the new Scavenger mode has lifted ideas straight from Halo with power weapons on the map, the best stuff placed in the high risk areas etc.

Seems like the future of FPS games is to assimilate the competition until every game is basically the same, just with a slightly different setting.
  • Why no PvP Minecraft system yet?  That's what I want as the next big competitive multiplayer thing.  A mod for Minecraft that splits you into teams at opposite ends of the map, with a flag or something to guard.  A timer starts, like 7 game days or something.  Use that time for building and reconnaissance.  

Make a fort to house your flag, riddled with traps and reinforcements.  Mine like crazy for the raw materials.  Build weapons and hand them out.  When the timer expires, strike out and find the enemy.  Killing them means you can grab their stuff, but how will you take down their castle?  Mine in with diamond picks?  Create some piston-powered lava throwing device?  How about ideas to defend yours, traps that dump lava into rooms or flood rooms full of water, turning out all the lights in the process?  Buckets of lava to pour over walls at intruders?

So much possibility because of the open nature of it, so that's what's missing in a modern FPS to me.  All the maps are entirely pre-planned and beautifully balanced, but what if they had a little bit more adjustability?

Also, another thing I'd like to see is proper team recognition.  You got a bit of it in L4D2 Survival mode, where it'd record who you were with when you set your leaderboard times, but surely they can do more than that?
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Someone posted a thread which was basically a Minecraft/Worms mash up. I'll try to find and bump it, hang on.
  • May as well put my comment here; I remember seeing that, but it's not quite the same.  It's just an FPS with deformable scenery, but none of the stuff I think would make a Minecraft PvP game exceptional.  Complete freedom to mine and build your own base, your own routes, your own equipment, and then entirely free choice over how to attack the enemy.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Isn't that what that game described? Apart from the kit bit, but you'd assume mining then making a canon or something would be part of the plan.

Fucker to balance.
  • Is it?  I thought there was less to it when I read about it.  If so, it's what I want, although I still want to try PvP Minecraft.
  • Couldn't we just all have a fight in minecraft?
  • n0face wrote:
    Couldn't we just all have a fight in minecraft?

Yeah, but with RULES.
  • That actually sort of exists right now - Eskil Wotsit's Love. Base-building and landcrafting, team vs. team, FPS. Even looks really nice.
  • Just watching THE gun fight in Heat.
    Got me thinking, gun sfx in FPSs has improved loads but it still isn't quite there.

The sound coming out of the gun is spot on in most games but the way that sound interacts with the environment is non existent.

Rarely is there any reverb or stiffling based on where the player is situated.
    In a canyon or a cupboard the sound produced is the same.

Take for example Ragnarok on Halo 4. While I can hear my gun and others to varying degrees, if I stood at a base I would barely hear the centre of the map. Weapons of the caliber used even in loadouts would reverberate around that entire valley very loudly.

There was a good article on the BBC site not long ago about the sound of war, the most notable sound throughout the decades demonstrated in audio clips was the distant echoes of machine gun fire.
    When I am next on a computer I will try and find a link.
  • @live I think our Mr Hologram is the man to discuss that with.
  • Interesting.
    It is something that isn't discussed in too much depth really.
    Music gets a lot of attention sfx normally get "sounds amazing" but not much more in depth analysis.
    BILLYYYYY!
  • Wasn't that BF3s while shtick.
  • Helloooo!

I tend to steer clear of these next gen type threads as it can get a bit tempting to spill beans. And after getting a bit involved with the old AvP thread on the old forum I'm not going to say what company I am currently working for.

Suffice to say, Liveinadive I am with you on the distant weapon sounds in halo, they are lacking. Pretty astute observation, and you're right sfx is not often commented on.  I do love the close up stuff mind!  Some of my favourite sound design in years !  

There are very few games that get this right, but the knowledge is slowly spreading. More and more studios are clocking that you have to do 1st person firing sounds, and then make several 3rd person versions of the same sound that are played back at different levels according to how distant you are.  Just turning a sound down and putting some reverb on does not make a sound feel distant!  You actually have to use recordings of weapons taken from different distances.

I did a weapon recording session recently with about 22 guns and just over 60 channels for the recordings. That was a lot of mics to set up!

Consoles already have the ability to switch audio content depending on distance, it's very easy. Making the content itself is a different matter and many studios either don't prioritise that amount of detail or can't fund it.  I was surprised that Halo 4 didn't do it considering they obviously spent a ton of cash on the visual effects and lighting.  And their audio is extremely well produced.  Priorities eh.

Dice have been pioneers in this and I can't wait to hear what BF4 sounds like, I'm sure it will put the rest of us to shame.  Other devs will hopefully embrace this level of quality and allow their audio staff to go wild with weapon audio design, but it's not necessarily tied to next gen hardware improvements, it's more a perception thing.

I can go into plenty more detail about specifics if you'd like me to put my dev hat on, I usually don't have it on here cos I just wanna take the mickey out of Knight but I'm always happy to talk about audio :)
    Today is the shadow of tomorrow.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Did you do the sound in Sniper Elite V2? If so, and as I said at the time, it's flipping ace. The shot is like a thunderclap played through AC/DC's sound system. If you didn't do it pass my compliments to whoever did if you get the chance.
  • I seem to recall them going on about how important the weapon sounds were, but obviously they only meant to the player themselves.
  • Cheers for that Billy. I might start a sound specific thread as to move it away from here where it isn't totally relevant.

I had no idea that is what you did for a living. Can't blame you for not unveiling the company or game you are working on. Incidentally I know a guy that worked on avp too, only a tester though so doubt you would know him.
  • If I recall Billy's name correctly, I know where he works. And I have to say that I'm really excited for your game.

Of course if I'm not recalling correctly, it might be shit.
  • Mod I worked on sniper v2 a little before a load of us got laid off yes, I was prototyping the sound of the bullet time effect so that was partly mine.  Can't take too much credit though I worked on it for only a short time and others were on it for ages after me.

@Dante I know where you work too!!!!!
  • Are you excited for my Game?
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Mod I worked on sniper v2 a little before a load of us got laid off yes, I was prototyping the sound of the bullet time effect so that was partly mine.  Can't take too much credit though I worked on it for only a short time and others were on it for ages after me.

Well I'm sure whoever worked on it after you didn't add anything meaningful to it so you get full credit.

Really enjoyed that game you know, proper little guilty pleasure. The thrill of triggering the sound was one of the main things that kept me playing and didn't once get old.

Sounds like I'm kissing arse now so I'll shut up and let "the sound" have the last word.

Bonus
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CySX_d8kXU&t=210
  • I spent several days making the bullet time firing sound as big as I could, I think they just use the one version for every slomo shot as you can hear the pattern of the shell bouncing on the floor is identical each time.  The crazy gorey impacts is someone else though. Listening back to it now is funny, it's a long time ago I did that stuff.

It is a fun little game, hope they get to do another even though they laid me off, I'm happy with where I ended up. And would hate for more Brit studios to close even if they aren't the best on the planet.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    @daviedigi
    PSN
    daviedigi
    Steam
    daviedigi
    Wii
    poo

Send message
    Are you excited for my Game?

hahaha.
    psn/steam:daviedigi

raziel once wrote..."davie's to nice for this forum"!
  • I always get excited about entering your Game Dante!
  • Funny you guys mentioning h4 ragna. Because it was the difference in sound on h3 Valhala that stood out even in the beta. That distant firing thing was done well, IMO (for the time).
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Yeah I was about to say I'm sure I remember there being distant sfx in H3. Like Face, Valhalla sticks out to me, the sound of the hog firing in the distance is almost burned into my memory.

I hadn't even noticed it was gone in H4!
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • At the risk of stating the obvious, distant firing isn't just an aesthetics thing either. If you do it well you provide another indicator for the player about where fights are taking place and how many people are engaged. In Halo especially (where fights are more prolonged than in a game like COD) this is massively helpful. H4 appears to have ripped that particular player skill out of the game for the most part unfortunately.
    GT: Knight640
  • BC2 had better audio than BF3 imo, not to everyone's taste, but much more pronounced with lots of echo, guns went bang basically and there was all sorts of other stuff going on in the background. It was never great as a game play aid unfortunately, but BF3 seems very muted in comparison and has been plagued by audio bugs for most of its life.

Devs seemed positive at the start of the generation about console players moving to surround sound, remember when you used to hear about the lossless audio tracks on PS3 games. We're starting this generation with Nintendo not bothering with an optical out on the Wii-U.
  • Halo 3 did have superb sound, absolutely correct, it stands out still as one of the best, but it came out in 2007. We haven't seen nearly the same progression in sound that we have in graphical elements (imo obviously).

Knight is spot on too, it absolutely gives a tactical element to a game. Perhaps that can be developed further to actually hinder a player in certain situations. Ear ringing and muffled sound after surviving a blast, or even turrets drowning out the sound of team mates, for me, that would increase my engagement with the game much more than adding another 10 frames per second.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!