Where next for online MP FPSes? (The next big thing?)
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    I_R wrote:
    BC2 had better audio than BF3 imo, not to everyone's taste, but much more pronounced with lots of echo, guns went bang basically and there was all sorts of other stuff going on in the background. It was never great as a game play aid unfortunately, but BF3 seems very muted in comparison and has been plagued by audio bugs for most of its life.

BC2 had amazing positional audio. Wearing headphones I could pinpoint someone using audio easier than visually. BF3 was OK with that, but not quite as good imo.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    @daviedigi
    PSN
    daviedigi
    Steam
    daviedigi
    Wii
    poo

Send message
    Mod74 wrote:
    I_R wrote:
    BC2 had better audio than BF3 imo, not to everyone's taste, but much more pronounced with lots of echo, guns went bang basically and there was all sorts of other stuff going on in the background. It was never great as a game play aid unfortunately, but BF3 seems very muted in comparison and has been plagued by audio bugs for most of its life.
    BC2 had amazing positional audio. Wearing headphones I could pinpoint someone using audio easier than visually. BF3 was OK with that, but not quite as good imo.

bf3 and turtle beaches is gun fire audio heaven.
    im sure bc1 and 2 were the same pretty much.
    psn/steam:daviedigi

raziel once wrote..."davie's to nice for this forum"!
  • They went with a slightly OTT aesthetic for BC2 which suits the game. For BF3 they dialled it back for more realism, which again suits the game.

I'm sure there will be more larger than life BC games as there will be more BF :)
    Today is the shadow of tomorrow.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Yes, the audio is pretty great in the Battlefield games, shame 3 didn't really pick up from where BC2 left off. That fixed turret in the desert map was my favourite, you'd fire at a chopper and the echo would come rolling over the dunes back at you a second or so later. Love it.

Anyway I'm bumping this thread as I've just been having a natter with Iain tonight about where FPS games are heading. I've started to get back into BF3 recently, but only because we're playing it like you would CoD or one of the other run and gun games as the once excellent Rush mode just isn't as good on the maps of Battlefield 3.

It's been fun, but it's not what I'm really after, there's an itch that isn't being scratched by games like this. The popularity of CoD has seen DICE try to ape the fast paced, twitch shooting, non stop carnage and to be fair to them and EA, it's sold well so it must be appealing to the masses. 

There must come a time where a developer wants to stand out from the crowd and deliver a slow paced, tactical game though surely? The pendulum has to swing back at some point doesn't it? I'd love to play a game where you need to consider your tactics, communicate and work together as a team to complete an objective. Someone needs to bring out a hardcore (hate that term but I'm struggling for an alternative) FPS that does for online shooters what Demon's Souls did for RPGs.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    I hesitate to mention it again, and it's not exactly slow paced either, but TF2 on PC is great.  It's free you know, and has pretty modest sys reqs.
  • I have the Orange Box. I haven't once tried TF. I might give it a go tomorrow.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I might be on my Jack Jones wanting to slow the pace down, but it's all starting to feel the same to me lately. Sprint there, shoot that guy, he respawns and shoots you in the back, you respawn and reciprocate. Meh.

I may also be delirious with lack of sleep too mind. Look at the time.
  • TF2 is slower than that, especially as the Heavy or Engineer. Especially the Heavy.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    pantyfire wrote:
    I have the Orange Box. I haven't once tried TF. I might give it a go tomorrow.

It was laggy as all hell (hello Valve game) on 360 when I tried it the once. In fact it put me off for years, it was only getting a new PC made me look at games I already owned again and it grabbed me.
  • I never had issues on the 360 personally, but I know others did. People broke the server limits too, so we got proper PC sized games on it as well.
  • @Mod, I will give it a go.

@Sparks, you are not alone, the slower, more thoughtful pace is what drew me to the console Battlefield games in the first place with Modern Combat. I still play BF3 with that slightly slower approach now.
  • I wonder if the change of pace is already afoot. Blops2 feels considerably slower than the last Modern Warfare I played in 2. Weightier player movement and the chaos has been dialled in a touch, however, it invariably still becomes a headless chicken act of running around a mazey warren shooting one guy in the back whilst another lines you up to do the same. I believe Acti have the power with the CoD brand to alter playing tastes and it's clear they're loosening the reigns slightly, but it remains to see how far they'll let IW and Trey 'innovate'. Pace wise, BC2 had it spot on, but it also had the scope, Rush in BC2 still felt like an evolving battle despite its immediate intent. It was a shame that Flashpoint's MP modes never catered as perspective and pace was spot on in the SP.

Playing BF3 and Blops2's respective DM modes reinforces to me though the importance of 60fps. In DICE's world, the engine chugs along at 30, whilst feeling ready to capitulate at every turn, however MW purrs along as smooth as butter smeared over Jessica Alba's thigh. This has to be the benchmark and should be in the next gen... 60fps that is, not Alba's thigh... OK Alba's thigh also. EA's not too distant comments regarding Frostbite 2 having been developed more with the next gen in mind does make me wonder if they can dial up the framerate or if for their introductory titles, be it BF4 or fingers crossed BC3, we're looking at 30fps to begin.

Biggest hope I have is major advances in netcode or somebody to solve the riddle of lag compensation that doesn't hand all the advantage to Joe USA or Johnny Half Meg.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Iain reminded me last night that Frostbite 2 was supposed to be made with the next generation of consoles in mind, but I think that's just EA opening their mouth and letting the wind flap their tongue about.

Are they just taking an educated guess at the specs for next gen consoles? Going off Battlefield 3, it feels like more was taken out of the engine than added, we lost most of the destruction seen in BC2 but gained some shiny torches to put on the end of our guns. Seems like a poor trade off to me.
  • It always feels like the engine is asking too much of the hardware in BF3 so it was no surprise to me when EA flapped, I'd claimed as much myself previous. I've no doubt it's as good as the OG Frosty, just not on this hardware, cometh the next gen and we might see full destruction again. Bit of a con job is BF3, shiny on the outside, held together with double-sided tape and prayers on the inner. A mock up for BF3.5- sorry BF4.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • I'm pretty certain that new hardware will manage to cope with BF4 quite easily, re-using the engine without too many changes makes sense. Apart from worrying about getting more grind and choke-points, I'm sure that the number one priority for DICE(!) will be 64 players, which then stretches the net code yet again.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Dice can swivel until Bad Company 3 gets made.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Paul, have you played ARMA II?

Now that's measured.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I had something about Arma and Socom in my original rambling post but cut it out because it made even less sense. I've not played either.
  • Played TF2. Never again.
  • A rollerscating bouncy mess happened. Not my cup of tea.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    360 or PC?

It is a bit bouncy, depending what class you use. I fekkin love Minecart though.
  • I just wanna roll with TA again. :(
  • We where on BF3 a week ago. Had some good games.
    Obviously it was the same without Mod, Pabs or Webbins.
  • I keep meaning to jump on but the substantial patch holds me back. Is the very latest patch out now? I didn't want to d/l one gigopatch only for another one to rear its head.
  • The final expansion is released in March apparently.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I don't think I know of anyone, online or otherwise, who's has ever said he dislikes TF 2 if they've played it on PC. It's that primal level of fun.
  • I HAVE SEEN THE FUTURE OF FPSs.

oh hell yes!

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • 1:59, oh my.

That looks amazing.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!