Where next for online MP FPSes? (The next big thing?)
  • "if you build it they will probably fuck off"
  • I can't read the word "Rome" without it sounding like the stupid Pinball FX pronunciation anymore.
  • Tempy wrote:
    Shit, for real Temps? That's a bit fucked.

He still does good vids though according to pals. Truth is I really don't watch a lot of youtube crit these days.

Meh, I've gone off his stuff somewhat. His more recent works have felt like crit for the sake of crit, and the "insight" has felt forced and vague. I don't know what it was, but it got to the point where I'd watch a video of his and not have any idea what the specific content of it actually was - it was edited well, and read earnestly, but said absolutely nothing.

I don't know whether that was because he got bigger and so felt forced to churn stuff out with regularity regardless of whether he actually had anything interesting to say (a fate that also befell Paragon DS), or whether it's because the relative shortness of his vids doesn't actually lend itself well to providing concrete examples and analysis.

Whatever reason, I can't be arsed with him anymore.
  • Mentioned in the d2 thread, a lot of YouTube crit ends up like that. (funnily enough, his spiel about steam curration and the crap on there probably applies to youtube game crit too.)

Sorting the wheat from the chaff is so hard.

I also wince every time an otherwise serious sounding crit talks about Gamers. I find the identifier weird. Where a film crit might say "the viewer" there's far less baggage, and generally, in film and lit crit, there seems much less worrying about identifying the sub group, "the viewer" just means people.

"gamers" seems to have some sort of different connotation.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    The hands.
  • Tempy wrote:
    Shit, for real Temps? That's a bit fucked.
    He still does good vids though according to pals. Truth is I really don't watch a lot of youtube crit these days.
    Meh, I've gone off his stuff somewhat. His more recent works have felt like crit for the sake of crit, and the "insight" has felt forced and vague. I don't know what it was, but it got to the point where I'd watch a video of his and not have any idea what the specific content of it actually was - it was edited well, and read earnestly, but said absolutely nothing. I don't know whether that was because he got bigger and so felt forced to churn stuff out with regularity regardless of whether he actually had anything interesting to say (a fate that also befell Paragon DS), or whether it's because the relative shortness of his vids doesn't actually lend itself well to providing concrete examples and analysis. Whatever reason, I can't be arsed with him anymore.

Earlier stuff was rooted in far more interesting non-games criticism which is what stuck out to me, but populism and a-vid-a-week won out over that. He still puts graft in, writing music for each episode etc, and he's a good writer, but Mark Brown is about the only person who does something that I think you can't find done better in writing.

The only reason I stopped making stuff is I ran out of things I thought were worth saying, and my confidence in my own writing is totally shot at the minute. My drafts folder and my captured footage folder are embarrassing messes of half thought ideas.
  • Gamers just sounds weird to me.

Players, or the player
  • It was never a savoury term and that gateshit put the final boot in. It's entirely pejorative in 2017.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Nerds.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Score-eyes.

@Tempy — wait for RDR2 and video about this. Final sentence.

What's odd about mainstream criticism is the way it defaults to best-in-class for its bearings, be that games, TV, or whatever. It should be clear to most how short the big guns are falling of their potential. Cage is still in work...

I read a piece from Gillen roughly about No Man's Sky in Jan's PC Gamer, and it says that he left them in 2003! I don't know if he still plays anything much, but I miss the dandy old badger.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!