Where next for online MP FPSes? (The next big thing?)
  • I don't play these games much. I find the matchmaking rubbish and there are no chances to play a game you can enjoy if you are a 'noob' because campy, snipery bitches.
    I remember pk someone in far cry that was camping. I got hung when i posted about it on the maroonum.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Moto: This thread is about the direction the FPS genre is taking/going to take. That Halo 3 still maintains a solid -ish population, despite the popularisation of the COD model and also having had a sequel (itself 2 years old), is noteworthy. That game, and that style, is evidently still popular. I guess.

This basically. Halo 3 is still my go to game. It annoys me greatly that 343 don't support public stat tracking for it, even though they are still taking the details.

I mean, look at that list. There is a ton of COD, and some COD like. The COD is above that though. So why try and beat it at it's own game? Halo 3 is showing than an aging game is still carving out a successful niche. Halo 4, if it had the confidence in it's core game could have regained the population that deserted Reach.

Long term, I don't believe that the players who like how COD plays will stick with Halo, and unless changes are made, the Halo players will be playing 3, and certain modes on Reach.
  • Quick question not about Halo. I hear that Homefront patched itself into a decent game but by then the population was gone. Is there still anyone playing on PS3? Enough to make it worth giving a go?
  • That list makes me wonder if there's space for anything new at all now.
  • I_R wrote:
    That list makes me wonder if there's space for anything new at all now.

I don't think there will be anything revolutionary until at least 6 months into the next gen tbh.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    My guess is the two teams that created COD and Halo will have a good crack at it.
  • Is dem Bungie thing coming this gen or next?
    Or do we not know?
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    It's next Christmas I think. So, we assume at least one next gen console, possibly two.
  • Mechwarrior Online would be something I'd like more of.

What? Hawken? Dude fuck Hawken Mechwarrior is here again to restore the status quo of giant robot combat simulator-lite in an FPS stylee.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Mod74 wrote:
    It's next Christmas I think. So, we assume at least one next gen console, possibly two.

Yeah screams next gen. New IP from one of the biggest studios has to be on a new console surely, the console units it will shift will mean MS and Sony will be keen.
  • -The first game will be an Xbox 360 and "Xbox 720" timed exclusive. Before you ask, yes, the legal contract says Xbox 720.

Link
  • I_R wrote:
    That list makes me wonder if there's space for anything new at all now.
    Minecraft, you can shoot arrows.

• Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    There's a Minecraft style Halo thing in the indie games section isn't there? Anyone play it?

Maybe some bedroom fiddler will create the next big thing? It seems more likely that they'd concentrate on the core gameplay and map design etc. leaving shite like levelling up to unlock pieces of armour or other baubles for the bigger developers to waste everyone's time on.
  • I've got it, was good fun. Hardly anyone playing it and everyone that was seemed to be amazing when I gave it a go so I didn't stick around for too long though. Will give it another go at some point, they're releasing updates all the time I think. Would be great fun if we got a few of us here together on it and played customs... I assume they're possible.
    GT: Knight640
  • It strikes me that this thread has developed into trying to solve a problem that largely doesn't exist (in terms of what the vast majority of the gaming community want to play).

A valid point. And well spotted, but I figure my motives are semi transperent.

Only having one game in town is a problem, IMO.

It's speculation to guess why people are playing or not playing stuff, but a large part of it seems to be: Everyone else is playing it. So much flows from that. You could have the best netcode in the world, but if no one is playing, the game will be forced to make bad matches and the game will suffer through either uneven skill or bad connections. That, to me, is more than half the battle.

That's a tangent. To get back to the quote above, lets assume that everything being a CoD alike is a problem: What other ways of doing things are there? And what would we like to see?

There's fatigue with the series from us in here, but I'd guess there's a gazillion juniors coming through the ranks that will make the drop offs unnoticeable.

Bungie's effort will be interesting. almost certainly confirmed as an MMOFPS, so it'll have unlocks and what not, and customisation out the wazoo, that's for sure, the question is going to be how the gameplay is structured around that.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    I'm guessing "epic space battle". It'll probably be like Dust 514 except made by a developer that knows how to make FPS games.
  • Mod74 wrote:
    I'm guessing "epic space battle". It'll probably be like Dust 514 except made by a developer that knows how to make FPS games.

Yeah, that's pretty much the consensus guess. The most recent speculation article I read said it felt like halo, but it was kinda cool in that you could run into other groups of players. No idea how it's structured though, open world, open world until a battle ensues, who the fuck knows.

I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Just remembered it while in the WiiU fred.

Timesplitters 4, if it ever happened, could have a big impact. At the very least it will be a new visual style to what we have had for the past 5 years.
  • If it ever got made, which I doubt, they'd dark and gritty it.
  • Nooooooooooooooooooooooo I wanted throw remote mines on a humanised cactus.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    @daviedigi
    PSN
    daviedigi
    Steam
    daviedigi
    Wii
    poo

Send message
    There were a web page a few years back asking what system fans would like the next splitters on, why they couldnt do multi~platform i dont know but it aint showed uo for any.
    Think splitters is dead really for shame.

We all know the future of modern fps's now then...Right?
    Bad company 1!
    psn/steam:daviedigi

raziel once wrote..."davie's to nice for this forum"!
  • daviedigi wrote:
    We all know the future of modern fps's now then...Right?
    Bad company 1!

Davie you have been added to my 'Would save during the apocalypse' list.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • daviedigi wrote:
    TThink splitters is dead really for shame.

I know, I know, sob

Never forget though right? Never forget...
  • All about four player co-op against as many Edwina bots as possible on the disco map of Splitters future perfect. Shotguns only. CHAOS.
  • It had that silly factor that is missing now.

I would like to see a Ratchet and Clank with MP too.
  • It had that silly factor that is missing now. I would like to see a Ratchet and Clank with MP too.

Get tae
  • Why did goldeneye work in mp?
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • It had that silly factor that is missing now. I would like to see a Ratchet and Clank with MP too.
    Get tae

Do elaborate.
    There isn't a silly FPS and R&C is a great series that could be a hoot playing against mates.
  • I love Ratchet & Clank and don't want multiplayer shoehorned in.

Get Crytek to make a new Timesplitters.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!