Where next for online MP FPSes? (The next big thing?)
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Mod, the problem you're having is that what you're describing isn't representative of what those of us who play Halo experience. It's almost impossible to lock down all of the power weapons in the initial rush, and even if you do, all of them either have very little ammo (Splaser, Rockets) or can be easily countered if you know what you're doing (Shotty, Sword, Snipes). So this idea of the rich getting richer from the power weapons in Halo simply doesn't exist, so you shouldn't be too surprised when people argue it.

FWIW, I did always feel that there should be a marker to show where power weapons are on the map to help newbies, but beyond that I thought the weapon spawning system in Halo was fine.
  • wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    There's always players of different skill, but FFS half of the issue here imo is people wanting to good at something off the bat rather than learn the mechanics and practice.
  • I just don't know if you can cater to the pros and the casuals if you make a competitive FPS, and if it isn't a competitive game then it isn't a game is it?
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I compete with the AI on XCOM to see who's luckier.
  • Halo 3's ranking system was pretty much on the money. It needed a few tweaks here and there, and people abused it as much as they could, but by and large you could rely on it to play some close fought games in Ranked or gamble on Social. Reach failed for a number of reasons, but there's certainly a case to be made that the killer blow was to have such a poor ranking system.

I don't mind the XP systems too much, though I'm not a huge fan of them, though I do feel all players should start with the same tools and that individual skill or team work should be the deciding factor, not who has unlocked the better Perks.

Moar integration for clans, plz. Team kits and everything.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Roujin wrote:
    Olimite wrote:
    So the future of FPS should have no power weapons, no kills streaks, no score line as this can be exploited in a 'rich get richer' sense, no advantage to skilled players.....
    Obviously not, but it should cater to people who don't spend what feels like every second of every day playing.
    How should they be catered to? Lower skilled players should be given some sort of advantage to help them keep up with players who are better? How is that going to help? At the core of any non-cooperative online multiplayer system is that you are competing to win. If you play with people who have more knowledge, experience, or raw skill than you, you will likely do worse than they do in a given game.
    Yup, and it's up to the match making system to get players of a similar level playing together. it worked a treat in Halo 2, I'm not sure what's gone wrong since.
  • 4 seems pretty tight, had some ludicrously close matches last night. Ordnance destroys the chance of a comeback though [something about power weapons]
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    Mod, the problem you're having is that what you're describing isn't representative of what those of us who play Halo experience. It's almost impossible to lock down all of the power weapons in the initial rush, and even if you do, all of them either have very little ammo (Splaser, Rockets) or can be easily countered if you know what you're doing (Shotty, Sword, Snipes). So this idea of the rich getting richer from the power weapons in Halo simply doesn't exist, so you shouldn't be too surprised when people argue it.

I'm not saying it's possible to lock down weapons every time, nor doing so guarantees a win. I'm saying that that's what everyone tries to do because you've seen the consequences of not doing it so the game has trained you to do it. Don't try and pretend you or anyone else will start a game and just ignore them. It's already been stated coordinating power weapon pickups is a skilled way to play.

It's the perks/weapons/killstreaks altering the way people play a game and moving it away from a pure position/aim/shoot/kill mechanic I dislike.
  • Bollockoff wrote:
    it's horses for courses, innit...for me, that quake vid bollockoff posted just looks awful, it's like a video montage of my online PC shooter history (with me being the people being killed at insane speeds with no idea how or why it happened).
    I wish I could glasgow kiss through the internet and out someone's monitor.

Since i'm fairly certain that you can't, i shall say "bring it on!" ;)

out of interest, was it cos i said 'horses for courses', or that i don't like quake MP?
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Nothing has gone drastically wrong really, the players who are better than you in your skill brakcet will still beat you.

Reach had a worse method for assessing player skill than 3, so you got games with wider skill gaps. The only difference is that in games with better methods for matching players of similar skill the games are closer, therefore more fun for both parties, however the better people will still beat you.

EDIT: @Sparkeh
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Roujin wrote:
    Olimite wrote:
    So the future of FPS should have no power weapons, no kills streaks, no score line as this can be exploited in a 'rich get richer' sense, no advantage to skilled players.....
    Obviously not, but it should cater to people who don't spend what feels like every second of every day playing.
    How should they be catered to? Lower skilled players should be given some sort of advantage to help them keep up with players who are better? How is that going to help? At the core of any non-cooperative online multiplayer system is that you are competing to win. If you play with people who have more knowledge, experience, or raw skill than you, you will likely do worse than they do in a given game.

No, sorry, I meant something like an 'anti-ranked' match to combat the 'win at all costs' players. I come across them on Fifa all the time who utilise weaknesses in the game's programming (not bugs) to gain an advatage over opponents.
  • Olimite wrote:
    Roujin wrote:
    Olimite wrote:
    No, sorry, I meant something like an 'anti-ranked' match to combat the 'win at all costs' players. I come across them on Fifa all the time who utilise weaknesses in the game's programming (not bugs) to gain an advatage over opponents.

You can remove the score I suppose and just let players play a 15 minute game with no winner or loser decided.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    Bollockoff wrote:
    it's horses for courses, innit...for me, that quake vid bollockoff posted just looks awful, it's like a video montage of my online PC shooter history (with me being the people being killed at insane speeds with no idea how or why it happened).
    I wish I could glasgow kiss through the internet and out someone's monitor.

Since i'm fairly certain that you can't, i shall say "bring it on!" ;)

out of interest, was it cos i said 'horses for courses', or that i don't like quake MP?

Heh, for me it was when you said being killed at insane speeds. I frakking loved the old DM games, hopping and skating around at mach one and pulling off insane shots - marvellous!

• Play Tribes: Ascend then, you literally skate!
  • wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    Mod74 wrote:
    It's the perks/weapons/killstreaks altering the way people play a game and moving it away from a pure position/aim/shoot/kill mechanic I dislike.

Forgive my possible lack of attention and I'm genuinely not looking to be an arse but isn't this different to how youe started?

Either way, on that point I agree with you :)

• Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    To be clear, I wasn't having a pop at Halo 4 matchmaking as I've not played it enough, I had the Battlefields in mind when I wrote that. Match making seems to be nonexistent in those games.

I thing Face should knock up a list of fundamental requirements to create a winning FPS formula and have it in the OP. A good matchmaking system and reasons to roam the map being the first on the list.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Since i'm fairly certain that you can't, i shall say "bring it on!" ;) out of interest, was it cos i said 'horses for courses', or that i don't like quake MP?

You just watch me try.

And the latter. Though i'm sure some here would kill you for the former.
  • Yeah good rank based match making is one of the keys to a good FPS for sure. You want games to be tight. Losing by one kill is usually more fun than winning a landslide victory.
  • Knight wrote:
    I'm trying to think of a power weapon from H3 which spawned in a place you actually wanted to stay in... there was sword in The Pit (which was badly positioned) but then I'm struggling. Mod seems to have some crazy idea of power weapons in Halo where you sit and camp waiting for it to come up and then sit and camp in the same place once you've got it... it's almost like he's never played the game.

snipes on the pit. S1 and S2
    snipe and shotty on guardian
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    Play Tribes: Ascend then, you literally skate!

I've heard good things from some players I used to play with about Tribes but i cba sitting in front of a PC anymore tbh.

I have a bit of a checkered history with FPS DM anyway, I very nearly lost my job and my marraige over it - never again. Quite happy slouched about with a beer on the Sexbox.

• Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Forgive my possible lack of attention and I'm genuinely not looking to be an arse but isn't this different to how youe started? Either way, on that point I agree with you :)

Not really
    Mod74 wrote:
    I remember now why I gave up on COD past MW2, people camping all day to get the killstreak that pushes them to the top of the scoreboard. It's the 'rich get richer' thing that ruins it. I'd actually put Halo's rush for the super weapons and 'lock this area down to control the pink laser' in the same category.
  • wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    Mod74 wrote:
    Forgive my possible lack of attention and I'm genuinely not looking to be an arse but isn't this different to how youe started? Either way, on that point I agree with you :)

Not really
    Mod74 wrote:
    I remember now why I gave up on COD past MW2, people camping all day to get the killstreak that pushes them to the top of the scoreboard. It's the 'rich get richer' thing that ruins it. I'd actually put Halo's rush for the super weapons and 'lock this area down to control the pink laser' in the same category.

Ah got it. :)

It was the comparison with the 'Halo rush' as you put it which isn't the same thing at all.

Short term memory dude, age I swear ;)
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Mod74 wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:

I'm not saying it's possible to lock down weapons every time, nor doing so guarantees a win. I'm saying that that's what everyone tries to do because you've seen the consequences of not doing it so the game has trained you to do it. Don't try and pretend you or anyone else will start a game and just ignore them. It's already been stated coordinating power weapon pickups is a skilled way to play.

It's not that it's not possible to lock down the power weapons every time, it's that it's almost impossible to do so. At a rough estimate of all the games of Halo I've ever played, I reckon that in far less than even 1% of them, one team manages to lock down all of the power weapons. As I say, this is a problem which barely exists.

Fair play, if you just don't like the mechanics, then you don't like the mechanics, that's fine, there's no need to justify it by claiming issues which barely ever crop up.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Not really
    Ah got it. :) It was the comparison with the 'Halo rush' as you put it which isn't the same thing at all. Short term memory dude, age I swear ;)

Halo power weapon 'management' is a less egregious phenomenon than kill streaks which I why I added it as a related afterthought. I don't particularly like the mechanic but I don't hate it like the COD killstreaks.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    My ideal FPS would be a Battlefield 3 sized map with CoD levels of detail in the buildings and with only 2 game modes, Conquest and S&D'esque but with completely random spawn points for both the teams and the objectives. Tie this in with completely random generated maps and just a handful of weapons and I'd be happy.

Actually there was absolutely no point in me posting this as it will never happen.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    Mod74 wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    I'm not saying it's possible to lock down weapons every time, nor doing so guarantees a win. I'm saying that that's what everyone tries to do because you've seen the consequences of not doing it so the game has trained you to do it. Don't try and pretend you or anyone else will start a game and just ignore them. It's already been stated coordinating power weapon pickups is a skilled way to play. It's the perks/weapons/killstreaks altering the way people play a game and moving it away from a pure position/aim/shoot/kill mechanic I dislike.
    It's not that it's not possible to lock down the power weapons every time, it's that it's almost impossible to do so. At a rough estimate of all the games of Halo I've ever played, I reckon that in far less than even 1% of them, one team manages to lock down all of the power weapons. As I say, this is a problem which barely exists. Fair play, if you just don't like the mechanics, then you don't like the mechanics, that's fine, there's no need to justify it by claiming issues which barely ever crop up.

You're not saying the attempt to lock them down never happens are you? Because it's only both teams attempting it that prevents one team from actually doing it. If one team didn't contest the weapons the other team would have a lock down.

It's the altering of gameplay that I dislike, not the success rate of the endeavour. At best it forces people into a power weapon stalemate. Power weapons are 'balanced' because both teams play by the 'rules'. In which case why fucking have them...oh yeah, because it makes things more interesting and moves the game along. If we're talking about the future of FPS lets think of some better ways to make the game interesting and keep it moving without having to resort to plonking super weapons on the map.
  • wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    Mod74 wrote:
    Not really
    Ah got it. :) It was the comparison with the 'Halo rush' as you put it which isn't the same thing at all. Short term memory dude, age I swear ;)

Halo power weapon 'management' is a less egregious phenomenon than kill streaks which I why I added it as a related afterthought. I don't particularly like the mechanic but I don't hate it like the COD killstreaks.

It's not related at all.

I share your hate on the COD stuff though, I was always happy with a simple 'Monster Kill' or 'Godlike' etc for hitting a streak.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    @Mod, fair enough, but the thing with the power weapons on the map is that it does offer many risk/reward moments throughout the game, and ones which can bring a whole team together. I can't think of any other way of doing that in a Slayer match.

I reckon that the future of FPSs is likely to be fundamentally the same mechanics, but with extra stuff added on top, such as being massively multiplayer and persistent worlds. Essentially, whatever Bungie are doing.
  • If you are talking about the future of fps games then are halo and cod even relevant?

Like doom and quake their time will end. I wonder what ideas will supplant theirs.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!