Where next for online MP FPSes? (The next big thing?)
  • wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    Mod74 wrote:
    [ I don't believe for a second players/teams don't camp a spot whilst waiting for a weapon to spawn.

Not true mate. I've never been a Halo Pro but I can assure you that in any FPS DM game at a high level no one would camp a weapon spawn. They'll cycle back round to it based on its spawn time.

Edit: Exception being old school KOTH style maps but they are very specific tbf.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Knight wrote:
    Start with rockets in Halo? Yeah that's not going to work. Face you're in, I can't be bothered anymore.

Why? Because they're massively OP and whoever holds them has a huge advantage?

If you want to include a weapon in your game it needs to be balanced. Slow load/fire/switching/movement/ammo count. All weapons needs elements of risk and reward, as you're suddenly so keen to bang on about.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Roujin wrote:
    Olimite wrote:
    n0face wrote:
    @Olimite, could some company not just produce 'netcode' and out source it like a graphics engine?
    I have no idea, but I'm assuming not otherwise it probably would have been done by now.
    GGPO for fighting games says hi.

I have no idea what you just said. Care to elaborate?
  • wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    Mod74 wrote:
    Knight wrote:
    Start with rockets in Halo? Yeah that's not going to work. Face you're in, I can't be bothered anymore.

Why? Because they're massively OP and whoever holds them has a huge advantage?

If you want to include a weapon in your game it needs to be balanced. Slow load/fire/switching/movement/ammo count. All weapons needs elements of risk and reward, as you're suddenly so keen to bang on about.

On PC it was common to have mods/game variants where you spawned with rockets/had rockets only. Fun for a few minutes but very quickly tiresome, lacked any real skill, people getting blown up constantly, rockets flying all over the place etc etc etc. It really doesn't work as (I think) you imagine.

• Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Take the Halo chat into the Halo thread unless it's relevant to the topic. This thread was actually quite interesting to start with.
  • Weapon spawns on the Halo's i've played are a deathtrap to camp in. Even the sword in the pit was a grenade trap. There were gaps at the top of the walls that you could easily frag through to clear the room. Camping there for long periods of time was stupid and you'd get fucked by an opposition who weren't shit.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Mod74 wrote:
    [ I don't believe for a second players/teams don't camp a spot whilst waiting for a weapon to spawn.
    Not true mate. I've never been a Halo Pro but I can assure you that in any FPS DM game at a high level no one would camp a weapon spawn. They'll cycle back round to it based on its spawn time. Edit: Exception being old school KOTH style maps but they are very specific tbf.

Right, I don't mean stand in one spot hiding behind a crate. I do mean cycle in and around the area waiting for a spawn.

If you've got the skill to keep track of when exactly something will spawn in great, but don't forget Halo isn't exclusively played by Pro players. You can't say something works great when it's just the Pro's playing.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Olimite wrote:
    Take the Halo chat into the Halo thread unless it's relevant to the topic. This thread was actually quite interesting to start with.

My fault, I should be able to remember the 'mention Halo in a vaguely negative way and a siren goes off around the globe' rule by now.
  • wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    Mod74 wrote:
    Mod74 wrote:
    Not true mate. I've never been a Halo Pro but I can assure you that in any FPS DM game at a high level no one would camp a weapon spawn. They'll cycle back round to it based on its spawn time. Edit: Exception being old school KOTH style maps but they are very specific tbf.

Right, I don't mean stand in one spot hiding behind a crate. I do mean cycle in and around the area waiting for a spawn.

If you've got the skill to keep track of when exactly something will spawn in great, but don't forget Halo isn't exclusively played by Pro players. You can't say something works great when it's just the Pro's playing.

I've already said I'm no Halo Pro mate, my high level FPS days are well over. Point is even for me and my noobness, I'd never camp a power weapon, your just asking to get fragged. For me any FPS DM that has a design that lets you get away with dawdling in one area/spot is either poorly designed or b) designed to be played that specific way which makes it something I wouldn't want to play anyway.
  • Olimite
    Roujin wrote:
    @Olimite, could some company not just produce 'netcode' and out source it like a graphics engine?
    I have no idea, but I'm assuming not otherwise it probably would have been done by now.

GGPO (Good Game Peace Out) is a type of 'netcode' middleware. It was produced initially to allow PC gamers using mame roms to play together online.

Since then it has gone on to be recognised in the community as being better than many of the developers own in house efforts for fighting games this gen.

Several fighting game developers now use the GGPO middleware to handle the online gaming aspect of their games.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • @Oli: GGPO is some kind of fightans net code that you can play all sorts of things through.

@Mod, power weapons do have disadvantages, example: rocket launcher has only two shots per clip and takes an age to reload.

Your suggestion of being able to choose a weapon at spawn is nice, but how do you promote movement in a team deathmatch without objectives? Surely it just becomes a meat grinder when one team gets the high ground/best area to defend?

Edit: trying to move away from Halo here
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Interesting stuff there Roujin, but I take it it's easier to develop that for a straight 1 v 1 fighter than it is for a 16 or 32 player FPS. I'd love net code to be something I don't even have to think about when playing an FPS.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Fun for a few minutes but very quickly tiresome, lacked any real skill, people getting blown up constantly, rockets flying all over the place etc etc etc. It really doesn't work as (I think) you imagine.

Quake MP still has the most balanced Rocket Launcher of an FPS. Splash radius and damage is just right and the rocket speed is fast enough to make it insane in skilled hands. I love watching trick shot videos with it.

2:50 is a decent place to start with this.

• Mod74 wrote:
    Mod74 wrote:
    Right, I don't mean stand in one spot hiding behind a crate. I do mean cycle in and around the area waiting for a spawn. If you've got the skill to keep track of when exactly something will spawn in great, but don't forget Halo isn't exclusively played by Pro players. You can't say something works great when it's just the Pro's playing.

I think your complaints are fair mod but only at lower levels of the game where people aren't that skilled or familiar with all the obvious and easily manageable tactics - the camping for power weapons etc. It wouldn't make sense to make changes because some shit people do shit things in a game though. These sorts of tactics do NOT win games and even serve as a disadvantage if the opposing team are any good so surely it just adds to the balance and sense of strategy.
  • wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    Your suggestion of being able to choose a weapon at spawn is nice, but how do you promote movement in a team deathmatch without objectives? Surely it just becomes a meat grinder when one team gets the high ground/best area to defend?

It just ends up a clusterfuck of rockets flying around.

I don't get why (other than the odd 5 min of fun) people would want it anyway. Surely half the point is you play to get better, not spawn with instant kill, no aim weapons.

• Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    @Mod, power weapons do have disadvantages, example: rocket launcher has only two shots per clip and takes an age to reload. Your suggestion of being able to choose a weapon at spawn is nice, but how do you promote movement in a team deathmatch without objectives? Surely it just becomes a meat grinder when one team gets the high ground/best area to defend?

Valhalla_spartankillsdeaths--screen.jpg

What do you mean, becomes?
  • How about heat spots for BR, sniper and such on that map to compare?
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Roujin wrote:
    Olimite
    Roujin wrote:
    GGPO (Good Game Peace Out) is a type of 'netcode' middleware. It was produced initially to allow PC gamers using mame roms to play together online. Since then it has gone on to be recognised in the community as being better than many of the developers own in house efforts for fighting games this gen. Several fighting game developers now use the GGPO middleware to handle the online gaming aspect of their games.

That sounds decent. Cheers.
  • wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    Bollockoff wrote:
    Fun for a few minutes but very quickly tiresome, lacked any real skill, people getting blown up constantly, rockets flying all over the place etc etc etc. It really doesn't work as (I think) you imagine.

Quake MP still has the most balanced Rocket Launcher of an FPS. Splash radius and damage is just right and the rocket speed is fast enough to make it insane in skilled hands. I love watching trick shot videos with it.

2:50 is a decent place to start with this.

Can't argue with that. Movement in Quake was always the killer though.

• Also Mod seems to be complaining about competing for things, in a competetive game. Mod is not alone in this, many people have the same opinion that devs shouldnt forget that a game isn't only played by the pros but also by 'normal' people. 

But how can a dev produce a competetive game where normal and 'pro' players have an equal footing? Normal players and skilled players can't be on an equal footing in a competetive game. Because the point of the game is to determine who is best at the game.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • So the future of FPS should have no power weapons, no kills streaks, no score line as this can be exploited in a 'rich get richer' sense, no advantage to skilled players.....
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Black Ops 2 uses a league system now much like Starcraft. That goes someway to seperating pros and noobs casuals.
  • Giving everyone the same gun just gives skilled players more advantage. In Halo you always have a chance of picking up a power weapon, however slim, that will enable you to kill someone more easily. In a game with a single weapon, the best players will simply ream you into oblivion, every time.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Although that said my pro playing CoD mate has made an alternative account he won't play until christmas day so in his own words he can mow down all the kiddies getting it for christmas.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    So the future of FPS should have no power weapons, no kills streaks, no score line as this can be exploited in a 'rich get richer' sense, no advantage to skilled players.....

Obviously not, but it should cater to people who don't spend what feels like every second of every day playing.
  • HeatMapValhalla.jpg

Heat map for all kills on Valhalla, ever. So using the Laser on the hill is likely to get you killed, risk/reward for LoS. Other killzones are the bases and two heavy choke points. Pretty standard MP fair really.
  • it's horses for courses, innit...for me, that quake vid bollockoff posted just looks awful, it's like a video montage of my online PC shooter history (with me being the people being killed at insane speeds with no idea how or why it happened).
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    it's horses for courses, innit...for me, that quake vid bollockoff posted just looks awful, it's like a video montage of my online PC shooter history (with me being the people being killed at insane speeds with no idea how or why it happened).

I wish I could glasgow kiss through the internet and out someone's monitor.
  • Olimite wrote:
    So the future of FPS should have no power weapons, no kills streaks, no score line as this can be exploited in a 'rich get richer' sense, no advantage to skilled players.....
    Obviously not, but it should cater to people who don't spend what feels like every second of every day playing.

How should they be catered to? Lower skilled players should be given some sort of advantage to help them keep up with players who are better? How is that going to help?

At the core of any non-cooperative online multiplayer system is that you are competing to win. If you play with people who have more knowledge, experience, or raw skill than you, you will likely do worse than they do in a given game.
  • Olimite wrote:

Don't think I've ever got past lv25 in any cod game as I resent getting killed by people with better stuff than I have access to because I haven't played it for three months straight. Weapon spawns are better than loadouts as it comes sown to more skill and luck rather than grind.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!