Where next for online MP FPSes? (The next big thing?)
  • Nope, no pink lasers. The fucking n00bs.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Briefly camp the power weapon positions to collect them then go and camp somewhere more defensible afterwards. Rinse and repeat. It's not rocket science dear.
  • Mod74 wrote:
    Yeah, whatever. I've seen enough posts about the importance of holding a power weapon (three on this page) to know it's important enough to change the way players approach a map and the penalty for not doing it is huge. If you think that's balance you're living in la la land. Because team A was unlucky/unskilled/uncoordinated enough to lose the initial encounter they're disadvantaged in subsequent ones. A disadvantage which is then rolled up into the next power weapon spot. It's a mobile killstreak. Bleat about how little I know but I know it's the tactic that the game encourages and players (again on this page) defend it by saying it's the way to win.

1) If there were no power weapons in Halo there'd be no reason to move. It's staggering that you think power weapons promote camping in Halo. They were necessary to stop camping. Provided they're placed well they make people go to vulnerable parts of the map and fight in awkward positions. It's idiotic posts like these and your condescending attitude that makes me think you're trolling when you talk about Halo.

2) If you outskill/out coordinate the enemy team you should be rewarded for it, do you not understand the basic element of risk vs reward in games? You seem to be saying that rewards are bad which is a mind blowingly dumb position to take. Go and read Sirlin.

3) The power weapon advantage DOESN'T carry over to the next power weapon. That's the beauty of the system. It's not a snowball rolling down the hill mechanic. It provides a real reward to win the opening skirmishes and if you use the reward well it gains you an advantage in kills/map control/ability to get objective for a while but in 2.30 minutes time you won't have rockets anymore and it'll again be an even fight.
    GT: Knight640
  • Plus you can kill the guy with the power weapon and use whatever ammo is left in it, reward for beating a tougher opponent.

Which is what sucks about ordnance in Halo 4, you turns corner and a guy could have anything from a plasma pistol to the ludicrously powerful incinerator.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Go and read Sirlin? Ok Will Hunting, thanks for your guidance.

Actually forget it. I knew mentioning Halo would be like telling a group of 6 year olds the animal man was visiting school today.

Halo is and always has been perfect. Close the thread. No need to discus the future of FPS because Nirvana has been achieved.
  • Knight, how do you not get this? Mod is simply saying that teams camp in numerous places around the maps. They do this by moving around the map and choosing the best places to camp, before moving around the map again.

Camping now means moving around the map.

WHAT IS GOING ON?

EDIT: Halo has got plenty of issues. The thing people get irritated by is that you keep being all reductionist and silly.
  • It isn't perfect, but it is one good system that can work if tweaked appropriately and is a better core system than layers of unlocks and perks.
  • There's a red laser.
  • Go and read Sirlin? Ok Will Hunting, thanks for your guidance.

Actually forget it. I knew mentioning Halo would be like telling a group of 6 year olds the animal man was visiting school today.

Halo is and always has been perfect. Close the thread. No need to discus the future of FPS because Nirvana has been achieved.

Are you for real? You have no idea how stupid you sound to anyone who has any idea about Halo at all. It's embarrassing. You're like a 6 year old telling an Oxford maths professor why 2+2 = 5.
  • I remember pink. But I gave up after 2 days because I kept falling off platforms to my doom.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I would buy everyone a current mid-spec PC and 1000 starter gold on Tribes. And this thread would die.

Mod74 wrote:
    I knew mentioning Halo would be like telling a group of 6 year olds the animal man was visiting school today.

I resent that comparison with what was one of the happiest times of my life at primary.
  • Frosty wrote:
    There's a red laser.

That is so nearly pink
  • So, er, does anyone quite like the idea of "pay to win" FPS games gaining ground in the future? My reactions and avaialble free time will never again match a 14 year old's, but my bank balance can be used to pound him into the ground.
  • Mod74 wrote:
    Briefly camp the power weapon positions to collect them then go and camp somewhere more defensible afterwards. Rinse and repeat. It's not rocket science dear.

Even if we ignore the silliness, what is your alternative for games based on smaller teams and smaller maps? Because I'm all ears.

As has been pointed out, the weapons don't spawn in safe locations. All of the best halo maps have had the big weapons in the riskiest spots, and they spawn with (mostly) not enough ammo to sway the entire result, and if you go for one power weapon at the start, you're probably neglecting another which will counter it.

Your original post compared kill streak rewards to power weapons on maps and said they're effectively the same evil: It's a patently absurd statement. All these games are based around competition. Someone is going to lose, and their is going to be a reward, this is inevitable, I'm really not sure what the alternative is.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    No power weapons and no killstreaks.
  • Counter Strike? :P
  • So you start with a gun and you shoot each other? Jesus, that gets old quickly.

I've played plenty of halo with only BRs/DMRs etc, and it's fun for a time, and SWAT currently has a big pop on H4, but I'd go fucking mental if there were no weapons to pick up, mix things up.

So that's no close range weapons either, that's no snipers, that's no rockets.

It's just bang bang bang for all eternity. Jesus, I'm losing the will to live just thinking about it.
  • Tempy wrote:
    Frosty wrote:
    There's a red laser.

That is so nearly pink
    Not pink enough for my liking though. Ffpss(future first person shooter s) need more pink.

Twin needlers was one of the most joyous things ever back in halo 2 and I was heartbroken when they took it out in 3. Is it back in 4?
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Even CS has the killstreak reward in the form of the AWP.

Frankly, online FPS games without overpowered match swingers are boring. If there's an element of risk to them like Quake does (Quad Damage spawns were always the most fiercely contested spots) and apparently Halo, it's fine.

Even TF2 has them in the form of Uber and Kritzcharges. In comp play those decide the match 90% of the time.
  • Also, presuming we have no power weapons, what sort of maps are we playing on? And where will people go? And when a team gets a lead, and they have some high ground or some inevitable bit of map advantage, why would they possibly ever move? And what you could the other team do without any weapons to mix things up?
  • Fine. In Halo (not necessarily in other games) that would massively disincentivize map movement. Presumably you also remove vehicles? Because they allow 'the rich to get richer'. And we wouldn't want maps that include flow and coherence to the maps so there's actual map control I assume? Because whoever has map control is just 'going to get richer'. Trying to remove all reward from games is a) impossible (because someone's gotta win) and b) foolish (because risk vs reward is GOOD game design).
  • Oi, keep up, knight.
  • Facewon wrote:
    So you start with a gun and you shoot each other? Jesus, that gets old quickly.

I've played plenty of halo with only BRs/DMRs etc, and it's fun for a time, and SWAT currently has a big pop on H4, but I'd go fucking mental if there were no weapons to pick up, mix things up.

So that's no close range weapons either, that's no snipers, that's no rockets.

It's just bang bang bang for all eternity. Jesus, I'm losing the will to live just thinking about it.
    Surely this is the point of playlists?

if I had my way we'd go back to the halo 2 model but that's probably just nostalgia for my youth talking.
  • Quite, my jibe at SWAT wasn't meant to suggest it should be removed. I played a game of it yesterday, got bored, and I never need visit it again. Everybody wins.
  • wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    All of the classic FPS games had power weapons (usually an RPG being the major one). What made the games so good was the constant wrestle for control due to fixed weapon spawns. It encourages movement and combat especially on a well designed map. It's certainly what I miss in Halo 4 as I've always thought Halo was the closest thing to the deathmatch games of old. I'm sure this has all been discussed before anyway.

Edit: Fuck this thread has moved quick!

• Facewon wrote:
    Oi, keep up, knight.

Whoops, should have tagged you in ;)
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Facewon wrote:
    So you start with a gun and you shoot each other? Jesus, that gets old quickly. I've played plenty of halo with only BRs/DMRs etc, and it's fun for a time, and SWAT currently has a big pop on H4, but I'd go fucking mental if there were no weapons to pick up, mix things up. So that's no close range weapons either, that's no snipers, that's no rockets. It's just bang bang bang for all eternity. Jesus, I'm losing the will to live just thinking about it.

I didn't say you couldn't have them. Let the player choose what to bring to the fight not have a Benny Hill rush for the stuff they're good at using. I don't believe for a second players/teams don't camp a spot whilst waiting for a weapon to spawn.

You can argue it encourages player movement, sure, that's one approach. You could also argue it creates hot spots for action (which I'm sue the heat maps would bear out). What I prefer is starting a game with the weapons I like not hunting for them and then being able to play to the best of my abilities. Removing killstreaks would remove some of the incentive to camp with them.
  • Start with rockets in Halo? Yeah that's not going to work. Face you're in, I can't be bothered anymore.
  • Facewon wrote:
    Quite, my jibe at SWAT wasn't meant to suggest it should be removed. I played a game of it yesterday, got bored, and I never need visit it again. Everybody wins.

haha I personally could play nothing but SWAT forever if I had to. The option for something else is nice though.

not that I even play halo any more...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!