Where next for online MP FPSes? (The next big thing?)
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    How on earth did I miss the original Grezzo?
  • There must come a time where a developer wants to stand out from the crowd and deliver a slow paced, tactical game though surely? The pendulum has to swing back at some point doesn't it? I'd love to play a game where you need to consider your tactics, communicate and work together as a team to complete an objective. Someone needs to bring out a hardcore (hate that term but I'm struggling for an alternative) FPS that does for online shooters what Demon's Souls did for RPGs.

I think we need to be careful what we wish for, and/or be clear what we're asking for.

Are we talking purely about player movement and kill times?

Or are you talking about more involved objectives? Or a combo of both?

I think I'm in agreement with you, but I'm not sure what ideas will have what results.

A game with near instant kill times can make for slower gameplay if there's an objective involved. A game with bullet sponges can lead to charging in like strafing headless chickens. What do you reckon is a happy medium?

Do we think BFBC2's Rush mode is complex enough as far as an objective goes?

Are you after larger maps? Larger maps obviously require more players, but still leave the pace a bit more considered, for the most part. Apart from Splinter Cell's Spies v Mercs, I struggle to think of smaller map MP that doesn't decend into frantic action pretty quickly.

My hopes are basically pinned on Bungie's Destiny, BFBC3 and a pipe dream that there'll be a Halo spin-off change in tack that sees a Rush mode equiv in the Halo universe.

I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Facewon wrote:
    Apart from Splinter Cell's Spies v Mercs, I struggle to think of smaller map MP that doesn't decend into frantic action pretty quickly. .

The now extinct Halo 2v2 games were on tiny maps and weren't frantic at all when played well. They were very considered, tactical and stand off ish. The weapon balance made it almost like chess and the tactical cohesion was essential to winning.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    I'd like to see some proper ballistics and weapon usage in whatever the next scenario of FPS's brings.

Bunny-hopping no-scoping sniper rifles should react accordingly, ie they should offer the same accuracy and recoil. Likewise pistols shouldn't be more likely to score a critical hit than a crouched, scoped assault rifle, a shotgun shouldn't be killing people from across the map and so on. Also I'd like to see more 'hardcore' games in so much as friendly fire is always there, there is nothing to promote teamwork to the current batch of LIVE gamers.

TBH though I can't see them changing anything, the publishers are so terrified of losing players though this is exactly what has been happening on my FL...
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    BF3 tried to do ballistics by the numbers. They're still adjusting them.
  • We can hope for COD to struggle in the transition to a new generation. That would open the market up a bit. The lack of mod tools for BF3 is starting to look pretty disappointing now, we'd maybe have been on our way to a hardcore sim and a BC2 clone from modders by now if it had.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    I've never understood the need to have such a massive selection of weapons, why do you need more than 2 variations of assault rifles?
  • For the Pokemon crowd. Got to collect them all.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Even two's pushing it for me. But then I generally avoid Assault Rifles in FPSs.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    S'all about the boomsticks.
  • The thing is with using real world ballistics is, that all bullets, from just about any firearm (pistol to sniper rifle), and at most distances, can kill in one shot.
    It all depends on where on the body you are hit.
    Maybe a FPS taking into account organ areas etc...?
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    The biggest variable when talking about wounds from firearms is what calibre of round is being fired. Size of the bullet matters most. Not what gun it is.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Bollockoff wrote:
    The biggest variable when talking about wounds from firearms is what calibre of round is being fired. Size of the bullet matters most. Not what gun it is.
    I thought velocity was more important?

I think that ballistics is a really interesting subject and especially terminal ballistics.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Bollockoff wrote:
    S'all about the boomsticks.

Handcannons for me. A Magnum/Desert Eagle/whatever stupidly overpowered pistol you have is usually my go to gun.
  • Yup and with assault rifles there is really only 2 types 5.56 and 7.62.

Theres a few more on the sniper side of things, but they are much of a muchness apart from the overkill .50 calls.
  • Moto70 wrote:
    Bollockoff wrote:
    I thought velocity was more important?

To an extent, you want to penetrate the body, then have the bullet dump all its energy quickly inside the body, for max damage. Too much velocity and it just pops out the back leaving a nice neat hole that can be easily patched up.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I heard that these days armies are provided with ammo designed to wound rather than kill as a wounded soldier is a greater drain on your enemy's resources than a dead one. Although that could well be bollocks.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Moto70 wrote:
    Bollockoff wrote:
    I thought velocity was more important? I think that ballistics is a really interesting subject and especially terminal ballistics.

Generally, bigger calibre = more propellant = higher velocity. Having a longer gun barrel is important as well and if you fire the same calibre from a rifle rather than a handgun you'l get much faster muzzle velocities. But what size of wad you're firing is the primary concern.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Anyone see that 'expanding foam' system for treating wounds?

http://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/2012/12/14/3654524.htm

ergh.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    EDIT: @Bollockoff:

I know how ballistics work, I was just pointing out that your comment was a bit too vague.

Also disregarding the velocity side of things the size of bullet is still not the most important thing because you have to take into account the bullet's mass along with the type (flat, hollow-point, etc) when determining its wound inflicting prowess.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    I heard that these days armies are provided with ammo designed to wound rather than kill as a wounded soldier is a greater drain on your enemy's resources than a dead one. Although that could well be bollocks.

The real world variables of what hit you and where make designing a bullet to do this a bit hard. It's all a bit random. People can survive point blank shots to the head from a .45 pistol, then get killed by a tiny .22 rimfire ricochet.
  • it also depends on whether you're a key character in the action or some random goon....
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    True, but if you did want to cause injury rather than death, you know which one you'd be handing out to make it as likely as possible.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Mod74 wrote:
    Anyone see that 'expanding foam' system for treating wounds? http://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/2012/12/14/3654524.htm ergh.
    It makes sense I suppose, most people don't realise that US soldiers used to use a super-glue spray to seal wounds before they could get the injured to hospitals.

I had my knuckle glued in '89/90, it had split and you could see the tendons moving about but rather than stitch it they glued it, it healed lovely and you can't see the mark it left unless you look really closely.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    True, but if you did want to cause injury rather than death, you know which one you'd be handing out to make it as likely as possible.

True.
    But you need a bullet with enough poke so that you aren't the dead one.
    You don't want to run the risk of just tickling them, so a bullet has to be a certain size and velocity to penetrate, once it does penetrate then any size is lethal.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Moto70 wrote:
    EDIT: @Bollockoff: I know how ballistics work, I was just pointing out that your comment was a bit too vague. Also disregarding the velocity side of things the size of bullet is still not the most important thing because you have to take into account the bullet's mass along with the type (flat, hollow-point, etc) when determining its wound inflicting prowess.

Bullets of the same calibre will pretty much always have the same mass. Use this for a helpful example.

2045d1322151894-perspective-handgun-cartridges.jpg

Two of the most common rounds in the states for civilian use is the 9mm and .45 round. You can tell which is going to hurt more. Whether you're using snub-nosed and FMJ ammunition is important too, but still, the size of the bullet you're being shot with is the most important factor.
  • Well I'm aroused, I don't know about anyone else. Say snub-nosed again...
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Facewon wrote:
    Apart from Splinter Cell's Spies v Mercs, I struggle to think of smaller map MP that doesn't decend into frantic action pretty quickly. .

The now extinct Halo 2v2 games were on tiny maps and weren't frantic at all when played well. They were very considered, tactical and stand off ish. The weapon balance made it almost like chess and the tactical cohesion was essential to winning.

I don't know if I'd describe it as being played well. ;) I'll grant you it was a slower pace, and I'll grant you it could be very "considered," but "stand offish" is a dangerous feel to aim for. In both H2 all the way to Reach, I always found 2v2 had a bit of a fun plateau. It'd be fine early as you rinse through muppets, it'd be at it's best ranks 20-30 where it didn't just decend into a camp fest, and then once you cracked 30+ just wake me when it's done.

Part of the problem being that if bungie hadn't tweaked the map specifically for 2v2, there was too much reliance on powerweapons. Could definitely be awesome, no doubt, but needed TLC that it didn't always get.

FYI: H4 doubles will be in rotation in one of the upcoming weekly updates.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • I find the greatest fun had from a online fps is in the initial period before everybody learns all the lines of sight and you don't know what's round the next corner. The early days of CoD4, BF1943, and BfBc2 all felt like brilliant pitched battles with real panic and flow to the battles. I'd like this to be recreated somehow, perhaps procedural generation.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!