Wii and Wii U
  • I just don't care.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Eurgh. They need to adopt modern placement of A/B X/Y if they want to make it in the non shit console market.

Going back to the classic Ninty button placement feels like aids.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I doubt any legal hot water, those lettered buttons are laid out same as Nintendo did with the SNES, which was two gen before MS even put CE into the Dreamcast

Also did you know that Nintendo are the only guys allowed to use an actual cross for the d-pad?
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Frosty wrote:
    Eurgh. They need to adopt modern placement of A/B X/Y if they want to make it in the non shit console market.

Going back to the classic Ninty button placement feels like aids.

Dude, those buttons are the modern way round, even PSVita (most recent launch) has them that way round. O=affirmative, X=Negative, except we gimped them round the other way in the west

"I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Arent they the only company who can use an octagonal surround for the analouge stick too?

Also i liked the gamecube pads idea of having a master button (A) surrounded by secondary buttons. I find in most games I will hold my thumb over the master or positive button by default so having it central played well for myself
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    g.man wrote:
    I just don't care.

It's better than the 3DS anyway, but no more surprising than the Wii.
    The Wii was very different at the time when it was demonstrated. I just look 
    at this Nintendo thing, I wonder when the iPad will drop to < £300.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Frosty wrote:
    Eurgh. They need to adopt modern placement of A/B X/Y if they want to make it in the non shit console market.

To be fair, they've used the same placement since the early 90s. Consistency is nice.

Regarding the number of GamePads you can use, I'm thinking it's still one. If you look at the pictures of the Pro controller and compare to the GamePad, the former has four lights along the bottom, a la the Wii remote, while the latter doesn't. Would suggest to me that the Wii U can sync with up to four Pros but only one GamePad.

I'm impressed with the hardware. Nintendo now need to nail three things:

1) Price. Make it too expensive and it'll pull a Vita and sell like a punch to the knackers. IMHO, £250 is the absolute maximum they could get away with.
    2) Games. All the hardware in the world means nothing if you've not got the games. (Jaguar says hello.)
    3) Demo units. This is going to be a hard sell to people without getting it in their hands. Every shop in the world needs to have a demo machine in it.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Oh, and if it doesn't come with a version of Pac Man Vs built in, someone at Nintendo should be fired.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • They've already stated they won't be releasing details of either a price or launch date at E3.

regards

g.man
  • Nothing I saw has put me off, but then I don't really think there was much info on offer there.

The controller mark 2 was leaked a couple of weeks back which stole some of their thunder.

All that social stuff is just blah. Will I be able to play online in a LIVE-style way?

Show me the games now please.
    Gamgertag: JRPC
    PSN: Lastability95
  • Didnt watch. Was there F Zero? Or can I carry on bleating about being deprived
  • Blue Swirl wrote:
    Built in video chat?

Like the 360's had for years.
    Blue Swirl wrote:
    Built in social features?

Blue Swirl wrote:
    Clickable sticks?

Blue Swirl wrote:
    A web app that means you can interact with your friends even if they're not on their Wii U?

Like the 360's had for months.
    Blue Swirl wrote:
    Full compatibility with all your Wii games

Like the 360's had since launch.
    Blue Swirl wrote:
    even saw a guy who's fairly big in the fighting game community tweet that the GamePad has too many buttons. It's the exact same number of buttons as a 360/PS3 pad, you imbecile.

It has ONE MORE BUTTON!  A 360 pad has back, start and the guide button in the middle.  A PS3 pad has select, start and the PS button.  This has select, start, home AND POWER.  One button too many.
    Blue Swirl wrote:
    The only thing that's worrying me is that there was no mention of being able to use more than one GamePad at a time, and with the Pad Pro announced too, it's looking less likely.

Yeah, that's a bit of a problem.

Like g.man said, welcome to 2006!
  • Ok, I'm perhaps overdosing on the cynicism a bit, and I do need to watch the full presentation after dinner.  But I'm a bit worried that all the features that caught people's eyes were things that were missing from the Wii rather than things that are really new or interesting.  If it's true that this is only as powerful as a current-gen console, then I really think they're missing out. 

One GamePad still looks like a miss, really.  Four Swords!  Pac Man Vs!
  • Looked nothing new to me, other than it had a screen on the controller.  I certainly won't be buying one.
  • Sigh... Show me the games and then we'll talk.

Plus, like it or not, this WILL be going up against the next gen consoles which WILL be significantly more powerful. It doesn't need to be AS powerful as current gen, it needs to be MORE powerful to compete. 

Simple really.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Nintendo.... Im sorry but I think I've just outgrown you.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    I wanted specifications dammit, was one of the things I bought Edge for in the early years. DRAM, SCRAM, PRAM, bus and all that jazz.
    Things can only get better.
  • POWEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRR!!!
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Nintendo.... Im sorry but I think I've just outgrown you.

Yeah. That's how it feels to me. 

Trouble is, I'm starting to wonder if the target demographic is just as jaded as we are with the idea of a fat Italian (call it as seen), running around a psychotropic landscape, facesitting anthropomorphic mushrooms in an extremely suspect effort to save an unelected head of state, with an appalling approach to personal security.

That shit is quite fucking ghey*. : P

*Fuck sake, how do I trollface?
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • My opinions haven't changed.  I still think the whole thing is odd but will be buying one as soon as it gets its first price cut.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    My opinions haven't changed.  I still think the whole thing is odd but will be buying one as soon as it gets its first price cut.

I will probably do this also. And then immediately regret it
  • :P  capital p
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    JRPC wrote:
    Lol. nincontroller-610x343.jpg
    Are they not going to find themselves in some sort of legal hot water over that?

After they came up with the analogue stick and rumble?  I'm sorry, but I had to lol at that.  I'll now read the rest of the thread.
    Get schwifty.
  • The zombie bit of the video was brilliant; actually very funny, and I liked the attempt to show integration.  Now, if the social stuff works well with the game frozen, a bit like the menu on a 3DS, they're on to something there.  I'd love to be able to pause a 360 game and open Kinect chat in the background to talk to OctoG123.  Or at least Tweet something via the guide.

In fact, Microsoft should do that.  Why can't I dictate Tweets to Kinect and post them from in game?  You can have that one for free.
  • Tried to watch the presentation but the voice made me too sleepy. From what I saw I have determined the following:

1.) Iwata is small and has a funny accent when speaking english

2.) Both controllers look good, and the tablet looks comfortable enough - although it has a whiff of "my first tablet" about it.

3.) All the social stuff really doesn't grab me. It's not bad but I have a laptop and a tablet and an ipod and a smart phone and while I dont mind having another machine which will join that list, it sure aint a selling point.

4) Nintendo still think we're all nerds. And we probably are, seeing as how we are commenting on an e3 presentation.
    SFV - reddave360
  • I like the social stuff, but I looked at it and just wished I could have it on a console I'll actually play, as detailed above.  And Iwata is indeed small; that was the first thing I noticed.  We're all closet racists.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    RedDave2 wrote:
    Tried to watch the presentation but the voice made me too sleepy. From what I saw I have determined the following: 1.) Iwata is small and has a funny accent when speaking english.
    You'd probably sound like a knob trying out a bit of Japanese.

Anyway, welcome, dude.
    Get schwifty.
  • isanbard
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Hiplo
    Xbox
    isanbard
    PSN
    DAQster
    Steam
    Isanbard
    Wii
    3DS 0361-6861-4525

Send message
    So you can buy a 360 controller for it too? I've got one already attached to the 360 Ninty…

I can see this living on current gen ports till the next MS/Sony launches but that seems to have admitted defeat on the tablet USP before it's even arrived. It all seems a bit odd and will need a lot of explaining this week to make it any clearer.
    Would be nice to hear some dev chat about how easy it is to port/code for too. All I've heard rumours of to date is that it isn't all that powerful but XBox400 levels of beef and Mario/Zelda/the rest could do for a year or so before the next lot roll out.

Gone from zero real interest to a 'maybe' for me.
    GT: isanbard PSN: DAQster DS-FC: 0361-6861-4525 AC: Bumdirt
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'd like to know what people are expecting of the 720/ps4 to see the comparisons. I'm not interested in "more power". I want the systems with the best games. Getting a Wii late and playing Skyward Sword, Mario Galaxy, Xenoblade Et al suggests that the best exclusives (bar Mass Effect) were on the Wii.
  • g.man wrote:
    I just don't care.

You're a badman g.
    Ross Kemp Investigative Journalist
    Skullfuck yourself into a fine mist

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!