Society's Ills - A study in the perceived inequalities between the "haves" and the "have nots"
  • Moto70 wrote:
    mk64 wrote:
    You expect to be able to buy a house when you earn less than 60k. Why?
    I don't know many that earn that sort of money.

It would seem that our views are poles apart...

A lot of people would earn that between two. That's what is happening now. It's as much that other people have friends or partners to buy with which is continuing the buying power which is putting yoss back.

Just has to accept that the conditions are against your situation. But if you really wanted a house you would find someone to buy with.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Lord_Griff wrote:
    ...any person who takes on debt, and subsequently does not work out their tolerances to interest rate changes should take responsibility for their stupidity.
    Why do mortgages need to interest linked, what is the reason that they couldn't be done as a long term loan with a fixed interest rate from the off so those people that are too stupid to be able to predict the financial situation 2, 5 or 10 years down the line don't lose their homes.

People may suffer from stupidity with regard to their mortgages but they don't just walk in a supermarket and pick one the shelf, they are sold them by an expert who should maybe do his fucking job and see whether they can afford it 10 years down the line. Saying that I suppose the nice fat bonus he'll pick up for selling it in the first place maybe swings his decision.

For you to blame people losing their homes on their own stupidity makes you sound like a cunt.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    mk64 wrote:
    I don't know many that earn that sort of money. It would seem that our views are poles apart...
    A lot of people would earn that between two. That's what is happening now. It's as much that other people have friends or partners to buy with which is continuing the buying power which is putting yoss back. Just has to accept that the conditions are against your situation. But if you really wanted a house you would find someone to buy with.
    No they don't, a lot of people earn a lot less than £60k between them, in fact of my close friends I have less than a dozen that earn that much. Most people want to buy a house with a proper partner, to share that home with their family, not to invest all their money into something to share with acquaintances.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    The average wage in the UK is £26,500, so the majority of people in the country don't earn 60k between two.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    The average wage in the UK is £26,500, so the majority of people in the country don't earn 60k between two.
    ...and I'm guessing that average is somewhat distorted by the high earners. People around here are lucky to be on anything more than minimum wage with the more skilled not really earning much more.

In fact I'm on the brink of seeing if I can pick up an extra job at weekends to try and get some more money in.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Lord_Griff wrote:
    Also I have never uttered the words "greed is good" or any such cliches. You are clearly a deluded maniac.

Lord_Griff wrote:
    Focus on yourself. Strive to be better. Educate yourself. Identify what you are good at and what you enjoy. Align your working life with that and all will come good. Learn to spend less than you earn. Try harder at all things relative to your peers. Understand that you may have to sacrifice leisure time to achieve your goals

Pictures thread, page 132.
  • Moto70 wrote:
    mk64 wrote:
    I don't know many that earn that sort of money. It would seem that our views are poles apart...
    A lot of people would earn that between two. That's what is happening now. It's as much that other people have friends or partners to buy with which is continuing the buying power which is putting yoss back. Just has to accept that the conditions are against your situation. But if you really wanted a house you would find someone to buy with.
    No they don't, a lot of people earn a lot less than £60k between them, in fact of my close friends I have less than a dozen that earn that much. Most people want to buy a house with a proper partner, to share that home with their family, not to invest all their money into something to share with acquaintances.

House prices in Devon aren't the same as in london. Apples and apples etc.

Also it's not just about the salary if you have saved a fair deposit. People expect to own by 30 :/
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    So, to wrap the thread up the only people who think the current situation is fine and dandy are those in extremely well paid jobs that have somehow convinced themselves they are justly rewarded for their efforts because their efforts far outstrip the effort put in by the other 98% of the country.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Lord_Griff wrote:
    House ownership is not a right.

Why not? Why should it not be the norm that someone who works hard can afford to own their own home? Why should they be forced to instead pay rent to someone who already had enough money to buy a second or third or fourth property?
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    mk64 wrote:

Doesn't a mortgage go 3 x the highest earner salary + 1x the second income,so even if you did earn 60k between you the best you could get would be about 140k
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Why not? Why should it not be the norm that someone who works hard can afford to own their own home? Why should they be forced to instead pay rent to someone who already had enough money to buy a second or third or fourth property?

Landlords who more often then not fill them with DSS tenants then go down the pub and un ironically complain about how much tax they have to pay to support those dirty state scroungers.
  • The worst thing about this thread is Yoss getting lectured to move elsewhere when he has just got back from fucking Egypt.

There is also a lot of other bullshit being said but you know, "I'm alright Jack".
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    mk64 wrote:
    House prices in Devon aren't the same as in london. Apples and apples etc. Also it's not just about the salary if you have saved a fair deposit. People expect to own by 30 :/
    How are people meant to save a 'fair deposit' when house prices are as they are. I have just enough disposable income to be able to buy my games and have some nights out, without doing these I could live a life of misery for several years to then find out that my stupidity didn't allow me to think that I may be in an even worse situation now than the predicament I was in 10 years ago when I started saving for the deposit on a house that I can't afford actually afford a mortgage for now.
  • Mod74 wrote:
    Lord_Griff wrote:
    Also I have never uttered the words "greed is good" or any such cliches. You are clearly a deluded maniac.

Lord_Griff wrote:
    Focus on yourself. Strive to be better. Educate yourself. Identify what you are good at and what you enjoy. Align your working life with that and all will come good. Learn to spend less than you earn. Try harder at all things relative to your peers. Understand that you may have to sacrifice leisure time to achieve your goals

Pictures thread, page 132.

How you have equated the two as being the same is ridiculous. I am not wrorng fellow forumites?
  • Moto70 wrote:
    Lord_Griff wrote:
    ...any person who takes on debt, and subsequently does not work out their tolerances to interest rate changes should take responsibility for their stupidity.
    Why do mortgages need to interest linked, what is the reason that they couldn't be done as a long term loan with a fixed interest rate from the off so those people that are too stupid to be able to predict the financial situation 2, 5 or 10 years down the line don't lose their homes.

People may suffer from stupidity with regard to their mortgages but they don't just walk in a supermarket and pick one the shelf, they are sold them by an expert who should maybe do his fucking job and see whether they can afford it 10 years down the line. Saying that I suppose the nice fat bonus he'll pick up for selling it in the first place maybe swings his decision.

For you to blame people losing their homes on their own stupidity makes you sound like a cunt.

I was apportioning blame. The years who sold inappropriate shit are also to blame. Don't call me a cunt.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    My family/social time is not directly equatable to a wage per hour.

People here aren't asking for Ferraris or hot and cold running hookers, they are simply implying that things may be amiss if a working man can not only not afford to support his family but still cannot afford to buy his own home if his partner is also working yet somebody's daughter can afford to splash £31,000 on some drinks for her and her mates on a night out.

If ever the rich need a spokestwat it seems like there are a few here that could step up to the role for them...

I said makes you sound like a cunt not that you are a cunt. There seems to be a lot of people not listening/reading properly in this thread.
  • Lord_Griff wrote:

Tell that to Thatcher.
  • Twats not years. Having phone probs.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Lord_Griff wrote:
    Twats not years. Having phone probs.
    Autocorrect can be quite the bugger at times...
  • n0face wrote:
    Lord_Griff wrote:
    Tell that to Thatcher.
    There's some other things I'd rather tell her.

The thing is, before the whole owning your house is a reasonable ambition for all thing came about, and people were happy to rent, rents were generally a far smaller percentage of the weekly wage. Nowadays saving for a deposit can be pretty difficult given that one person might be earning just to cover rent and bills. And it's not surprising people want to buy given how much is going to the landlord every year, and that you might have problems living anywhere decent when you retire.
  • What an utterly depressing thread. I'm amazed that any rational functioning adult can buy into the whole 'you can be what you want to be with hard graft' bullshit. 

I had a chat with a student a few weeks back to ask why he'd done so badly in his exam compared to everyone else in the class and to see why he'd missed a few lessons. He cagily said he'd been ill before the exam and subsequently. Fair enough I thought and offered him help with the rest of the course. 

Since found out that after his dad died 2 years ago; his mum lost most of the estate to a secret mistress. Mum has since been diagnosed with terminal cancer. Finances are so tight that the student has been bunking school to moonlight for the removals firm that he did his work experience for to pay for food for the family. This has been going on throughout the 2 years of his GCSEs. Since I've found this out I've had quite a few chats with him and the school has supported the family in receiving both government and charitable help. I've got Childline involved as well and they told me that this type of thing is becoming more and more frequent in the current economic situation. Kids with huge potential are finding that we don't all have an equal chance of success. 

It's easy for people in privileged positions to look down on those in truly dire situations and pontificate about how the world is your oyster if you play your cards right. That your situation is solely down to your lack of effort and drive. 

And belittling Yoss for wanting to live where he grew up shows all the empathy skills of a prize twat. Why don't we just stick Yoss and all the other poorly paid losers in a walled-off ghetto. At least we won't have to look at them whilst we're living the dream. 

The current situation is fucked for the majority. Belittling them for failing to graduate to the upper echelons is ass-clownery of the highest degree.
  • There are certain things that are determinable. Cost of living. Likely changes to the cost of living. What you earn. What you want in life. How much your want, costs. What you need to save to achieve what you want. What tolerance you have to changes. The effect of those changes on your plans. What slack you have. What you enjoy doing. What, if anything, you need to put in place in order to get to where you want to be. What time horizon is appropriate. Factor those in and surely you would have a better chance of achieving what you want than if you aimlessly plodded along.
  • Nobody is belittling anyone. Nor looking down on anyone. Yoss wants to live where he grew up. Fine. But he can't afford it. He may be able to afford at some point. But there are numerous things he can't do like all of us. Where does the blame lie? How can other people do more things than him(us)? It is just not fair...
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Well, if you weren't belittling me before, that 'it's just not fair' line certainly tipped you over the edge.
  • I am sorry if you felt belittled. It was not my intention.
  • I responded to the diddums line Griff which came across as belittling, although granted it wasn't directed at me. It's an emotive issue and it's easy to misinterpret tone. 

The amount of inequality I've seen in the London schools I've worked in has been staggering. For some there is no easy way out, even with hard graft. I guess my view is skewed by these experiences.
  • Stopharage. I went to battersea technology college from year 7-11. Worst school in London consistently for those years. Check it out in the league tables.

It's a multitude of factors in every individual case but I yes I stick by my belief that people can achieve far more than what would otherwise be expected of them through some sort of self for filling prophecy.

Griffs point about things being in constant flux was an interesting point.

There seems to be a lot of people bashing landlords with little reasoning. I'd argue but I can't be arsed
  • Not letting tenants do anything to the house is a big fucking reason to bash them.
  • You mean well, mk, but most of your posts make a better case for luck than labour. 

And dont get me started on landlords, although I really do want to come back to this conversation.
  • Landlords suffer from a far greater sense of entitlement than any benefit claimants i've ever encountered.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!