Resident Evil
  • Kow wrote:
    Well into this now and it's really great. Proper Resident Evil with great atmosphere and fantastic graphics. I'm continually almost out of ammo and health and so doing a lot of running away, which is how it should be. Definitely an early game of the year contender.

Use the stimulants pretty much as soon as you get them, you wouldn't believe how much stuff there is around. Though even then there's still not enough.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Yeah, I've used them a few times during boss fights and discovered tons of everything squirrelled away.
  • Kow wrote:
    Yeah, I've used them a few times during boss fights and discovered tons of everything squirrelled away.

After finishing the game and hitting some criteria, though I'm not sure what, I've got some specs equipped that show you everything throughout the game which is ace. Though madhouse difficulty is nuts with Jack.
  • JUST COMPLETED CROSS POST
    Horror is back baby, it's good again! Awoouuu (wolf Howl)

I would never have got around to playing this if it wasn't for the magic of piracy (ok my flat mate bought it too so I could probably have pestered him to let me play it too) but I am glad I took some time to play it anyway, because it's great. Capcom have really learnt from their failures, and this is probably going to slot in alongside Resi One and 4 as a highpoint of the series.

It's a real re-invention of the series, and the best first person horror game I've played. It makes survival horror combat work well in first person. It has a tight claustrophobic environment that rewards exploration and a decent-ish memory. It... has scares and tension. What the fuck happened? It's lots of clever game designed stuffed into a package that deserves your attention. Get over your heebiejeebies and play the damn thing. It's reverent to the legacy of horror, and it's own history as a series. It has a bizarrely compelling plot that has a good ending, and ties smartly into the series at large. 

I liked all of the boss fights, I liked that it had the ability to scare me, I was totally drawn into its dirty grotty pocket universe, I loved the weight to the movement and combat, I even warmed to bog standard filler enemies that the game had no choice to fall back on towards the end. 

Re the end: Minor Spoilers

A lot of people have complained the final chapters run out of steam, or lose the tension and resource scarcity of the first two thirds of the game... but it's a Resident Evil game, you kind of have to anticipate that there will always be a bit that involves slaughtering a bunch of enemies in a big rush. Also there is a large part of that final section that has you reduced to a survivor with no offence, and I found that one of the better sections overall. A change in location was welcome, and it was great that I actually felt harried and put upon for the first time in a few hours.

Bigger spoilers!
    Spoiler:

Overall, I'd say a solid 8, would have loved to see it in VR, that might have tipped it to a 9? Especially some of the final moments. I think everyone should play it, it's fuckin' great, a slap to the chops of horror, and I hope they just leave the series well alone for a good long while and bask in how brilliant a game they've managed to put out. It's one of the best experiences in horror for a while, and it leaves Alien: Isolation in the dirt by realising that instant kill monsters aren't actually that scary: running is scary, doors that lock on one side are scary, having to wait until an enemy is inches away from your faces before taking that last shot are scary. Yeah, it's good. Much to love. Congratulations done Capcom.
  • Anyone thinking about madhouse difficulty I'd seriously recommend:
    Spoiler:
  • Bit of a spoiler that I'd have thought?
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • g.man wrote:
    Bit of a spoiler that I'd have thought?

Didn't think it was G but spoilered just in cases.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Must be on the home stretch of this now and it's great all the way through so far. It's Resident Evil 1 reimagined, which is exactly what I wanted. There are even a couple of corridors in the house which seem to be almost lifted from the first game - long corridors with corners in strange unnatural places, probably that way originally due to the fixed perspective. I was expecting a dog to come in a window at any point.
  • I'll get this for a chalice
  • It's it PT scary?

Not sure my nerves could take a full game of that.
    Gamgertag: JRPC
    PSN: Lastability95
  • JRPC wrote:
    It's it PT scary?

Not sure my nerves could take a full game of that.

No not really, lots of jump scares and fear just wandering around but it's not the same type of fear, more American horror teen flick. But ace.
  • PT is what, 45 minutes long and gave me a "no thanks" and an *inaudible* whereas Resident Evil 7 is 8 hours long has more scares.

Ultimately it is different from PT because it's a full game rather than sliver of a teaser, is more about being pursued and put under duress by enemies than spooked by boogies, and lets you fight back, even if it's just to slow your aggressor down.

It's closer to the sections of Alien: Isolation with the Working Joes in as opposed to the eventual dull instadeath Alien.

I wrote a pretty big summary further up the page too.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Was gonna play this but watched so many speedruns of it that all shocks and horror have been negated.

Looks a cracker though.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Likewise. Just finished. Thoroughly enjoyed it all the way through.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    What I need now is a proper Silent Hill reboot.
  • 100% done now. Three playthroughs, all achievements, stonkingly awesome game.
  • I watched my friend play through this on the B I G T E L L Y over the weekend. The early moments are surprisingly excellent still, and it never whilst it never hits those heights again, they're heady enough to make up for some of the lulls. He also remembered to read lots of the notes that I forgot to read, meaning I have a much better handle one the story now, even if it is fairly simple.
  • There's a lot to admire but I'm not sure I loved this overall. I did like the return to the smaller scale of the first Resident Evil and the atmosphere and graphics can be exceptional. I also loved the sound design and in particular the safe room music.

It made me properly jump three or four times and the hairs on my neck stand up, and had some imagery that will stay with me for a long while
    Spoiler:
    Like many I wish it had stuck to the house and surrounding environs and those were the strongest sections. I think Jack exemplifies my problem with the game
    Spoiler:
    Also, if I'm about to be killed in a horrifically brutal manner and my gun has no bullets, please let me pick up bullets even though my backpack is full. You fucks.

It's reignited my interest in RE but for me RE4 is still best, hopefully if RE7 is RE1 then RE8 will be RE2.
  • What's the melee like in this game? It won't be condemned origins levels of awesomeness, but still, is it heavy, visceral, weighty? God I loved condemned. Best launch game ever.
  • Not much in it really. As per Resi tradition, you only ever get a knife which is for quick, weak slashes.
  • legaldinho wrote:
    What's the melee like in this game? It won't be condemned origins levels of awesomeness, but still, is it heavy, visceral, weighty? God I loved condemned. Best launch game ever.

You get
    Spoiler:
    and if you finish a playthrough in under 4 hours you get a circular saw which is fun but still not meaty enough for you.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    There's no melee, except for smashing boxes.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Ok, there's melee if you're some kind of nutter.
  • When I watched my pal play it I had to agonisingly watch him die over and over as he just refused to block, despite how large most of the enemy wind ups are. Incredibly frustrating listening to him complain about how a boss was knocking him over and not giving him time to reload despite the fact he was refusing to block. Madness.
  • I never used block once.
  • IDIOT

It's so frustrating to watch.
  • I impulse bought this at cex (had vouchers). Can't get the game to download, FML this is why I just don't buy games anymore

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!