• Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    They aren't shit if you like the sound profile, even in comparison to their peers.
    I question the wisdom of liking the sound profile, but some people enjoy overpowering bass, if so, Beats are great for them.

Edit: quoting myself for page turn bug.
  • You hit the nail on the head with your "bass boost" comment. Bass has long been misinterpreted as the be all and end all of quality, probably because it has long been difficult to produce strong bass cheaply and on a small scale. It has been the lead of marketing campaigns for ages.
  • Lol. I thought you had even started arguing with yourself then.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Beats sound profile is done better by VModa (or even Velodyne) at a better price so I don't think that argument holds water, plus with faaaar superior build quality. Beats are a style and marketing success, little more. Several cans do what they do better than they do it, it's just exposure. I've never seen another pair of VModas in the wild (bar my own), but seen plenty of Beats.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Apple earphones have always been shit.  Beats are overpriced and slightly less shit.  Shiny hard placky in the ear is uncomfortable.

So mediocre, overpriced and irritating to wear? Take ma moneh.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Thank you everyone for the advice, it led me to shortlisting and I went with Sony SBH-80 Stereo Bluetooth Headset' by Sony in the end
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Good choice in my opinion, very comfortable, you forget that they're their after a couple of seconds. They have APTX so it sounds as good as it can, quantum leap forward from standard bluetooth, though I imagine all have APTX nowadays otherwise you should just bin them

Battery life is a minor gripe as you can't carry a spare or charge whilst listening, easily mitigated by keeping a pair of cans at work and at home, and if you're taking a long journey then you generally know ahead of time. I say that they still charge within around 40 minutes
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Anyone after a serious pair o' open cans should get these.

Basically a Sennheiser HD650 with a different paint job and a different cable (though it's detachable so aftermarket/alternate cables are a go) for US199+shipping ($15 or thereabouts).

For the price, that's pretty farking ridiculous.  HD650 is famously scalable (i.e. the better the gear you put through them the mroe you get) and still after 13 years a goto reference for loads of audiophangots.  All things considered, by far the best value for money of any can around.  Will definitely benefit from amping, particularly tube if you go that route or balanced if you're Brooks and get the requisite cable.  These will go fast.  Massdrop has been a bit shite of late bar the Fostex THX00 delights but this is a proper goodun.  Drop opens 6am PT Tuesday.

Skerret™ Seal of Approval applied.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
  • Hmmm looks good, my pair HD 555s have served me incredibly well over the last 10 years or however long it's been. Now might be a good time to get a fresh pair for late music production sessions, though I really need some that have a very flat response, are these considered to be quite flat?
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    HD600s are a better bet if you want neutrality; these are thicker in the midrange and have a bit more mid bass. Very pleasant but not terribly flat.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Also a bit rolled off at the top, though they don't lack for detail.
  • Stealth marketing, they're moving into munitions.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Surface to air sungs.
  • Their next galaxy will actually be a super unstable large hadron collider (with curved screen, obviously) that will literally make galaxies by destroying our own. That's how science works, right?
  • Sounds legit.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Galaxy C4
  • Hey not sure if this is the right thread but I need advice on getting a new computer. I'll need it mainly for usual browsing and spreadsheets and it will need to be able to handle about video editing. Usually I have about 1 - 2 hours of footage which I chop down to 1 - 5 minute clips. Any recommendations. I think I should stick to a desktop maybe? 

My Lenova Yoga 3 Pro is starting to melt down. It switches itself off randomly and won't come back on (I assume until it's cooled down.)
    aaaaaAAH FA-SHION!
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    That was pretty much Tempys original Taoist for his new build, not sure where that chat took place but he seemed pretty happy with what he got, but either way I'm sure the guys have got some ideas
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • If you're not building it to be a gaming PC then you needn't get a particularly high end GPU, GTX 1050ti would probably be as high as you need to go.

CPU is probably the most important thing for video editing, RAM is important for that too I think.

What's your budget?
  • Is £700 with a monitor a good build? (Shit I'm so tempted by VR right now too...)
    aaaaaAAH FA-SHION!
  • Are you asking if you can get a good build for that, or if a particular one is good for the money? I don't know the answer to either, but you'll need to post the specs and shit if it's the latter.
  • Hmmm. I guess I'm asking what kind of CPU should I be looking for? I guess I can figure out the rest.
    aaaaaAAH FA-SHION!
  • Heh, I don't even know what numbers a fast one should have!
    aaaaaAAH FA-SHION!
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    High numbers.
  • Is that important? I thought it was big numbers you needed.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Big too. Big and high and you're golden.
  • I just smashed fuck out my Sony Xperia z3 screen. Dont buy a Sony... terrible phones. Anyway to get it fixed with a genuine Sony screen is 95 quid!! I'm almost tempted to get a cheap phone instead. Is Samsung really the only alternative?
    The next generation doesn't start until MAG comes out. 

PSN: Naemuckle
    STEAM: Naemuckle
  • Don't buy AMD at the moment until Zen architechture is released (sometime next year), get an Intel i7 of some sort if you can.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!