Gadgets, Tech, etc.
  • Nexx wrote:
    Lord_Griff wrote:
    Anyone got an Amazon Echo or the google one?

I have the Echo. The voice recognition works great but I'm really only using it as an alarm clock and music player at the moment.

I'm intending on picking up a pair on black Friday (Nov 25th). Amazon always heavily discount their own tech on black friday.
  • Anyone know how you are suppose to install or get nordvpn to work with kodi? I've installed openvpn on kodi, not sure about the nordvpn bit. Had a Google and nothing concrete came up. Is it the same as installing a vpn on andriod I.e. download openvpn then the nordvpn andriod files add username and password and away you go?
  • GoPro Hero+ LCD Screen Full HD Action Camera £149.99 tomorrow at ARGOS down from £249.99. Is it worth getting? Misses wants one.

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/argos-deals-live-tomorrow-23-11-amazon-firestick-24-95-amazon-8gb-fire-tab-29-99-2553105?page=2#comments
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    A friend used go pros for recording his roller derby. They're pretty damn good, decent picture, very resilient, was with him when he ditched a drone into the sea. Admittedly the gopro was in a fancy case thing, but it survived no problems
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Scotswahey wrote:
    I just smashed fuck out my Sony Xperia z3 screen. Dont buy a Sony... terrible phones. Anyway to get it fixed with a genuine Sony screen is 95 quid!! I'm almost tempted to get a cheap phone instead. Is Samsung really the only alternative?
    Mother fuckers advertised it as waterproof! I'll never buy Sony again.
    It is isn't it?
    Nah man. I had it under a few inches of water for less than 10 seconds. It was bricked after that. All the ads lead me to believe that you can use it underwater, pictures of people using it underwater to take photos. They even promote a how great their physical camera button is because you can't use a touch screen under water. Apparently they later changed their small print and said you shouldn't ever try to use the phone underwater and if the phone is water damaged they won't honour their warranty.  Investigated this with Trading Standards and they said my contract was with whoever I brought the phone with and how they promoted the phone, not actually with Sony despite their ads. Turns out the eBay store I brought it from has closed down... It had a few thousand positive reviews too. Sony don't want to know at all, they said yeah sure, read the updated warranty, send your phone and the tech will investigate it. If they think it's my fault I'll have to pay for a new phone or £35 to have my phone sent back. I don't understand why they never emailed or communicated their change in policy especially since I registered the phone with them since day 1. Fuckers.

That's strange, I tested mine in the bath and it worked fine.
  • Roku or amazon firestick? Asking for a friend.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I'd say Firestick as it's pretty easy to hack, and then sideload all your requirements and I'm ignorant of what a roku is nowadays. I know they used to be half decent for streaming music from phone to HiFi with, but nowdays I'm clueless
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • This is a present for grandparents I think, so hacking is unlikely!
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    then conversely but equally they've likely heard of amazon and won't need to leave their walled garden, which is likely prettier than the roku garden

I don't use either, all guesswork and speculation
  • Do they have smart phones or a tablet they are happy operating? Chromecast might be an easier option, if so.
  • They have a tablet but I think they're quite incompetent. They'll probably think I'm invoking spirits or something and would rather have a single device do a single thing.
  • Not sure if there is a specific thread but this one will do.

Can anyone provide some guidance regarding broadband providers? I've been with Sky for years, but we watch Sky tv less and less and I'm thinking of cancelling. I'm not worried about a tv package anymore, just a fibre connection. Any suggestions, positive reviews? Thanks.
  • They're all shit.

I found IDNet to be great for rock solid performance and stability, but you get what you pay for.
  • Virgin totally depends on where you are, they can be great or diabolical. Their customer service likewise swings between either extreme.
  • Virgin's TV box thing is utter, utter shite. So if you are going to get a TV pack I would avoid.

Edit: should probably read your whole post. Facepalm.
  • I have Virgin, personally. It's mostly okay.

With pretty much everyone, they seem to increase the price after 6 months, so check that.
  • Okay. Also, about to buy HDR tv. 50hz or 100hz? Both models I'm looking at state 400hz motionflow, but native refresh rate of 50 or 100. This is the only difference I can see between the two models but the price difference is £130.00. Does 100hz make that much difference?
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Skondo wrote:
    Not sure if there is a specific thread but this one will do. Can anyone provide some guidance regarding broadband providers? I've been with Sky for years, but we watch Sky tv less and less and I'm thinking of cancelling. I'm not worried about a tv package anymore, just a fibre connection. Any suggestions, positive reviews? Thanks.

Plusnet are good. I've had very few issues with them, and when I have their customer service has been top notch.
  • Third recommendation I've had for PlusNet. Thanks Goober.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    If it says motion blur, sports refresh, flow picture then ignore the number. Somewhere it should have a true panel refresh rate, rarely higher than 120Hz. Surprised you are getting a 50/100 though, normally 60/120 so it scales better for movies at 24 and is just that little bit faster in general
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Regarding Virgin just bear in mind you can get a broadband only, as in no phone line, they just don't shout about it.
  • cockbeard wrote:
    If it says motion blur, sports refresh, flow picture then ignore the number. Somewhere it should have a true panel refresh rate, rarely higher than 120Hz. Surprised you are getting a 50/100 though, normally 60/120 so it scales better for movies at 24 and is just that little bit faster in general

I'm looking at a couple of 2016 Sony models. Native refresh rates are 50 or 100 Hz.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    It's look at our the same way as you do the computer or consoles. If you're generally pretty happy if the games machine will pump out a steady 30fps then there's little point asking the telly box for more
  • b0r1s wrote:
    Regarding Virgin just bear in mind you can get a broadband only, as in no phone line, they just don't shout about it.

When I signed up with them, it was cheaper to get the phone, too.
  • Just Philips hue'd the living room, bedroom and room upstairs. Fucking quality. Love being able to control it off the phone, change colours and add wakeup timers. Now I just need an Amazon Echo so I can be a lazy bastard and get Alexa to turn the lights on and off.
  • We've collected 9 of them now since Christmas, 6 dimmers, a tap & a motion sensor. It's addictive.
  • Yeah whole house is Hue'd. Wife was massively sceptical to start with but she loves them too.

Best uses so far is bedside lamp slowly turns on (red) in the morning, much better than a screechy alarm, and also we can turn the kids lights off at night if they are still awake, reading or something.

I recommend the dimmer switches, really makes a difference having a physical switch as well.
  • This motion-activated toilet nightlight ss2.jpg
    [ul][li]
    [/li][/ul]

IllumiBowl 2.0 is the genius night light that clips onto the rim of your john and makes it glow with all the colors of the ROYGBIV. You'll be vibing on this light show so much that you'll never want to relinquish the throne.
    Buy now: $12.99 for a limited time only

A simpler toilet light designed like a traffic light ss3.jpg
    [ul][li]
    [/li][/ul]

Don't care to turn your trips to the toilet into a midnight rave? This stop-and-go Motion-Activated LED Toilet Light ensures you never again pee on the seat or fall into the bowl, thanks to one simple feature—it turns red when the seat is up, and green when the seat is down.
    Buy now: $11.99, reduced from $19.99

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!