PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    I do, but clouds are bullshit.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Oooh, latest Raspberry Pis are beefy enough to run DVS vinyl playback and scratching: 
    http://pideck.com/
    http://xwax.org/

• any recommendations for in-ear bluetooth headphones to go with my iphone 7? 

Don't want to spend a fortune..
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    If you don't want to spend a fortune, then you've already flubbed up something chronic by getting an iPhone 7.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Really depends what you mean by "a fortune". I was looking into Bluetooth earbuds a while back and there didn't seem to be anything particularly good under a ton.
  • Oh, prices have dropped a bit. There are probably better ones now, but these were my top two before:

Jaybird X2, £90 - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00NJMXETK/

Outdoor Tech Orca, £50 - https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00KONCDVM/
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I'd be waiting for the reviews to come in on the EarPods, myself. The jury's still out on how good they are as actual headphones, but there's definitely some cool tech being packed in there. Fuck knows what the wait will be, but I'm sure Apple will want them out this side of Christmas.
  • AirPods. Apparently EarPods are what they call the wired ones.

Given the history Apple have with earbuds, I'd say it's a safe bet they're not going to touch other similarly priced wireless buds for quality. Plus, they're looking like they'll be around £200.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Still in love with these ones, I now know that they obviously got it so right when they launched them three years ago that they have not bothered to replace them in the range

http://www.sonymobile.com/global-en/products/accessories/stereo-bluetooth-headset-sbh80/
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    AJ wrote:
    AirPods. Apparently EarPods are what they call the wired ones.

Given the history Apple have with earbuds, I'd say it's a safe bet they're not going to touch other similarly priced wireless buds for quality. Plus, they're looking like they'll be around £200.

Ah yes, Airpods.

But they should be cheaper than that, they're launching at $150 in the States, we're not yet at the point that $1 > £1.

And sound quality has traditionally been an issue, but seeing as they've bought Beats since they last released Apple-branded headphones, I would hope that this has improved, even if not that much.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    The simple fact of the AirPods automatically switching to mono when you take one out of your ear is almost enough for me to want to buy them on its own, TBH.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    But they should be cheaper than that, they're launching at $150 in the States, we're not yet at the point that $1 > £1.

I could be remembering incorrectly, but I thought Apple were significantly hiking our prices now? Weren't people complaining about the new MacBooks being a fair few more pounds than they are dollars?

Even if not, £150 is still fairly premium for some Bluetooth earbuds.

And sound quality has traditionally been an issue, but seeing as they've bought Beats since they last released Apple-branded headphones, I would hope that this has improved, even if not that much.

Yeah, not that much would be my thoughts on it.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Beats aren't bad headphones. They have too much bass and they're definitely overpriced, but the actual sound isn't bad* if you're a teenager who likes too much bass, not like the old Apple headphones which sounded tinny as shit.

And price-wise, it could end up as $1 = £1, but I'm not aware of any prices that are currently lower in dollars than pounds.

* I should say, I've only ever tried the originals, I have no idea about the subsequent ones.
  • Yeah, that's my point. What I understand is that they got a name from the original ones being alright, then the quality fell through the floor. Word was that Apple bought them mainly for the name. Of course, this is all hearsay; I've not looked into it myself.

I guess I stand corrected on the prices. Wonder where I got that idea from.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Seems like the new Beats aren't that terrible: http://www.trustedreviews.com/beats-solo-2-review
  • Fair enough, I'm full of wrong today.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I'll change the subject, then. A Ted talk on the growing digital security divide: https://www.ted.com/talks/christopher_soghoian_your_smartphone_is_a_civil_rights_issue
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Seems like the new Beats aren't that terrible: http://www.trustedreviews.com/beats-solo-2-review
    Reads like much less than 7 out of 10.

Come with g if you want to live...
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    The CNET review reads very seven out of tenny:

https://www.cnet.com/products/beats-solo-2/
  • Don't think so. Old ones were shit. These are marginally better but still useless to anyone without cloth ears, doesn't equate to a 7 in my book.
    Also I've tried them out, and can confirm that they are fucking rotten. :)
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Beats are actually dreadful. Frequency reads like a ski slope and the build quality is a furphy, there are actual weights inside to make it seem like they are meatier then they really are. Do not buy. Solo2s seem to be the only ones that are bearable, but the ones I've heard are bwah bwah bwah bass that completely crumples the higher frequencies while being bloated and fuzzy anyway. If Apple were serious on SQ they'd buy Beyerdynamic or something.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I am shocked that Skerret would hold such an opinion. Shocked!

But most of the opinion around the Apple/Beats deal is that they were after the streaming business, not the phones.
  • The Beats hate may seem like trite snobbery but they're one of the few products of that level that actually deserves it. They truly are awful, awful headphones.
  • I have used worse but the sound quality is nowhere near on par with the price.
    So yeah, they are either shit or overpriced, or both, depending on how you look at it and which model.

My other concern with those Airpods is the shape. From the first pics they looked to be very similar to the normal ones which werent particularly good at staying in your ear (granted some may have had a different experience). This obviously has potentially much more expensive consequences without the wires. I would probably prefer something with a strap like Cocko linked to. Drop one of those pods on the tube in rush hour and you are fucked.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Even What Hifi gave the studios a positive review:

http://www.whathifi.com/beats-dr-dre/studio-20/review
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I have used worse but the sound quality is nowhere near on par with the price. So yeah, they are either shit or overpriced, or both, depending on how you look at it and which model.
    Pretty much, although I'd say it's a stretch to say that they are shit, overpriced certainly, but not shit. The original Apple in-ear headphones were shit and they were chucked in with iPods, the headphones you can pick up for a fiver in train stations are shit even at that price, if Beats were being sold for a fiver they'd be objectively better than anything at that price range. Still not great, but they'd be considered a damn sight better than the competition. So, overpriced: yes, shit: no.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    It's also worth saying that they deliberately go for a coloured sound, they aren't there to act like a pair of monitors, they're there to try and make music sound better than it otherwise would. Now, by all means you can object to that line of thinking, I know I do which is why I go for Shures, but following that path doesn't make them shit. When I was a teenager, I would never dream of buying a pair of headphones without the magic words 'bass boost' on the packaging. I'm now older and wiser and prefer to hear music closer to how it was intended, that wasn't true back then. This is the market Beats are aiming for and they do it very well.
  • That is what I might by how you look at it.
    At £150-£200 they are pretty shit in comparison to their peers. They are very good in comparison to the freebies you get with most phones, Beats will sound good to most of their customers as they will have jumped from junk pack-ins to Beats.
    I think the ones packed in with the OG Gameboy were better than iPhones ones.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    They aren't shit if you like the sound profile, even in comparison to their peers.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!