The Grizzly Badger Tail. CH40 The DJR
  • I could email you the full version if you want coleslaw
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Is that my new nickname? :D
  • Sounds good.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Yep, sounds good to me to.
  • Chapter Nine point Five

Blu smiled and then looked back down at the tablet in her hand. She admitted that seeing what happened to Yoss had put her on edge. She had only gone to the camp for a minute once Yoss had been moved away.

She had spent so long by herself that she still found it slightly unsettling to be in a crowd for so long. She also could feel the nervousness and anger whenever there were too many forumites around. She also, to her surprise, felt some wandering eyes over her as well.

Being at the side of things seemed to be easier for everyone in terms of social acceptance. Lonely took to the crowd like a stray dog to a pack. She wanted to tell him to stay away, but he knew them all so well, it would be unfair. She was surprised at how jealous she was of his acceptance. She kept it buried though because he needed it more than she did.

She did not wish to do anything to make him unhappy.

She found herself running her fingers through her hair not for any practical purpose and wondered for a second what it would be like if Lonely stroked her hair.

She felt very protective of Lonely.  She would have attacked Petey in a second if he had been the slightest bit aggressive towards Lonely. She was happy that things seemed to be smoothed over.

He was talking to someone else now. It looked like MK.

She looked down and the tablet, touching it gently around the side.

‘How do you deal with them?’ she shared.

‘I’ve never had to. I don’t intend to either.’ KRS replied.

‘Even the ones that hate me can’t help but stare at me. It’s very uncomfortable. I’m not some piece of meat.’ Blu shared.

‘You’re an attractive looking individual in a place based around gaming. You have to expect some attention’ KRS replied.

‘Is that why you have manifested yourself in this form?’ Blu shared.

‘I have always preferred to be judged on my skills rather than my assets if you know what I mean. I’ve been around so long that I think most of them forget. I have no intention of adding an extra complication to my existence here.’ KRS shared.

‘Maybe I made a mistake.’ replied Blu.

‘No, I think you made a choice. You don’t have a real you as far as I’m aware. So it’s acceptable.’

‘Thank you, you have been helpful.’ Shared Blu.

There was a pause of a full second between them.

‘Revel will take me back to the camp if you want to be alone. He slobbers a bit but he has his uses.’ replied KRS.

KRS emitted a whistle that had revel bounding over to collect her.

‘g.man please’ said KRS.

Revel picked her up carefully and bounded up the beach back to No Subject.

Blu sat and watched him run past Lonely, who dodged out of the way without even looking.

He was becoming more aware of his surroundings subconsciously now. Blu knew that it was only a matter of time before he would stop restricting what he could feel around him. There was no point limiting yourself when this place was all that you had. You might as well live as much as you could.

Being left in pieces and abandoned had taught her that.

Live as much as you could.

For as long as you could.

Blu was concerned that living on here wasn’t going to be that long unless they resolved the situation on the island.

The only other thing that concerned her was that Brooks had gone off radar.

She had kept an eye on him while he had been skulking about the beach.

She had managed to sense him all the way to the start of the Silent Cartographer. Then he had walked outside of her vision.

She needed to speak to him about Yoss. She had a feeling that Yoss’ change of appearance wasn’t a million miles away from Brooks and his regular changes.  It was very frustrating.

Lonely said goodbye to MK and made his way to sit next to Blu.

He touched her for the briefest moment on the face and they shared for a couple of minutes.

It was the first time that Blu asked him to repeat himself. She was concentrating on the feeling of his hand on her face.  

She had never just stopped and felt what his hand was like, and it shocked her that she was even interested in details like that. Three days was obviously far too long to spend in the company of these people.

She kept that to herself.

‘I can feel the spambots now. They will be arriving at the perimeter soon. The first wave anyway.’ said Blu.

‘What do you think will happen to us?’ asked Lonely.

‘I will fight to keep us safe I assure you Lonely. I would be a shame to lose you. You make this place bearable.’ said Blu.

She smiled at him.

Elmlea came running over to the couple.

‘The sentry guns have just had multiple contacts. It looks like it’s Game on.’
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Super!
  • Soon. With the pie of fatness
  • I was being carried around in a dog mouth. Ew. Otherwise, lovely.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Holy shit it's better than all of Halo
  • I don't know if that is good or bad.. But thanks reg.
  • krs wrote:
    I was being carried around in a dog mouth. Ew. Otherwise, lovely.

I brushed my teeth.. :-(

• With bacon flavoured doggy toothpaste, or one of those weird dentastix?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Outlaw wrote:
    With bacon flavoured doggy toothpaste?

He prefers the cat flavour.
  • I fear I'm running out of superlatives - another brilliant entry.  May your tail always wag, and the cats always be slow.
  • Thanks guys. Another part by the end of the week.
    Promise.
  • Sad cat am best for chewing.
  • Chapter Ten

Monkey headed of into the forest in his robot suit and towards the impending surge of spambots, Shabby joined him in his mini gear solid shortly after.

Someguy had left Face watching Yoss and had gone to join the RPG group. MattyJ and Sas greeted him warmly and they spent time organising their spells and practising some offensive magic.

The Dark Souls team had the pleasure of Djornson’s company. DJR was organising the team as best as he could, discussing tactics with Stone Chalice and Subbax. Speedhaak had joined them, in his most useful way possible. He was still floating around being cheeky and causing chaos where he could. They decided to hold their ground where they had fought their last battle, along the beach and just down from the castle. The Christmas tree was now a pile of ashes that seemed to be a part of a forgotten past.

The Halols made their way into the forest behind the hub towards the Shmupper hanger. The Battlefield team headed by Davie and Webbins headed up the opposite side.  Gonzo headed up the path right behind the hub itself.

Gunn stood with Mod and Petey. Beano was sitting over the other side of the camp with Tin Robot, who was trying to soothe Beano’s blackened eye as best as he could.

G.man was sitting down on the log near the campfire but stood up when Blu and Lonely approached.

They were always holding hands, he noticed. Lonely had let him into the secret that it was more than just a visual sign of affection for each other. They were talking. They had probably ‘shared’ more in the walk from the beach to No Subject than most people did in a week. It was more obvious they were a couple. It was the little things. The shared looks between each other. G.man thought he saw Blu squeeze Lonely’s hand as they approached the campfire.

Elmlea was keeping his distance on order to give them some space.

Revel was sitting next to g.man. KRS was sitting to the side quietly observing and making mental notes. In a tablet lying around doing nothing kind of way.

Gunn turned the laptop around so the new arrivals could see the display.

The image on screen was a semi-circle with the sentry guns dotted along the circle. There was a number above each particular one that represented the ammo left in each gun. The secondary number represented the weight currently assigned to the unit. The weights had been adjusted according to the surface the sentry gun was embedded in.

The group watched in shock as the ammo started to deplete quick rapidly.

‘I already have Gamerluke and Ramsteelwood replacing the ammo as quickly as they can. We should be able to hold them off at the perimeter for as long as we need to.’ said Gunn.

‘It looks like they are hitting hard around the Minecraft and Halo zone.’ said Mod.

‘That was where I saw Brooks heading to.’ said Blu. She didn’t want anyone else to know how far she had seen him after he had gone out of sight. She didn’t feel it was the right time to announce that little tidbit of information.

‘Is Workid still out near the summit?’ asked Blu

‘Yeah, still keeping an eye on things as far as I know.’ replied g.man.

‘Is there any way to listen to what the spambots are saying?’ asked Blu.

‘I’m assuming he could drop a radio into the throng and see what is being said.’ said g.man.

‘Why do you ask?’ questioned Mod.

‘I think the numbers of spambots are going to escalate rapidly.’ said Blu.

‘The Forum address is getting shared out by now. Ever spammer is going to hit us.’ said Lonely

‘We will be getting the attention of every web developer and SEO agency spammer in India.’ Added Blu

‘That will swell the numbers considerably.’ said Lonely.

G.man smiled to himself. They were talking together, almost like one person. It was fascinating.

‘I’m concerned if we get the attention of China, then what we have now will pale into insignificance.’ said Blu.

‘We will never get back to the control floor if that happens.’ added Lonely.

‘This is getting worse and worse.’ said Mod.

‘The Halo zone is down to less than half across seven guns, take a look at it.’ said Gunn, grinning slightly.

Gunn was right, the numbers were dropping below three hundred across that small arc.

‘I thought you said the ammo was being replenished?’ said Elm.

‘It will, it will.’ said Gunn.

It got down to one hundred and fifty before it jumped back up again.

‘I’m already working on increasing the capacity, don’t worry!’ said Gunn.

‘That was too close.’ said Petey.

‘Ok, let’s check with Workid and see where we are. I really don’t know what else we can do.’ said g.man.

‘I don’t think any of us do and I don’t see why you feel the need to lead g.man.’ said Blu.

‘I don’t know. I just want everything to be sorted out. I’m starting to hate this place.’ replied g.man.

‘I don’t think you are alone either.’ said Elm.

‘We still can’t confirm that dying means logging out, If we knew that then at least we some of us could get out.’ said Petey.

‘Those that have a choice could get out.’ said Blu under her breath.

‘Poor Reg.’ said Revel.

There was a silence for a minute as they thought of their fallen friend.

‘Do you think that Nexx and Dubs will be able to break through?’ asked Blu.

‘You saw me talking to them?’ asked g.man

‘I saw you wishing them good luck. That seems to be an unnecessary requirement considering how deadly they will be as a team. It was why I kept Dubs locked in the plane for as long as possible. I do not envy those that meet him on the path up the mountain.’ said Blu.

There was an uncomfortable silence in the group. It was strange that Blu had decided to remind them of who she had been.

‘I’m sure they will be fine. At least, I hope they will be fine.’ said g.man.

‘I haven’t seen Tempy either. Last thing I heard, he was convinced Reg was still alive.’ said Elm.

‘Brooks thought he had maybe taken his body somewhere to bury it.’ said g.man.

‘We can’t have people wandering off chasing ghosts because they want to be involved on some crazy back story with a more than obvious reveal.’ said Lonely.

‘I haven’t decided what’s happening with that just yet.’ said Revel.

‘An obvious Reveal, you daft mutt.’ said Lonely.

‘Oh, okay.’ said Revel.

Skade, who seemed to have nothing better to do than running around telling things to people, ran up to the group.

He caught his breath for a second.

‘Davie and Webbins are engaging the Spambots head on.’ He said.

‘They’re doing what?’ asked g.man

‘They figured since the guns won’t fire at them, they would have some fun.’ replied Skade.

‘Why didn’t you just radio us?’ asked Blu

‘Kind of got Vimto on the radio.’ said Skade looking at Blu with a red face.

‘I’ll get hold of them’ said KRS.

Her screen lit up for a second, there was the noise of gun fire and the drone of the spambots.

‘Webbins, where are you?’ said KRS.

‘We’re having a spot of fun here!’ shouted Webbins

‘You weren’t to engage unless the sentry units fail, please return to within the perimeter.’ replied KRS.

There was more gunfire.

Then there was shouting.

Then there was the drone of the spambots offering the latest Nikes.

KRS’ screen went blank.

‘I’ve lost them.’ said KRS.

‘Try Davie instead!’ said g.man

‘I’m getting nothing but Spam drone.’ replied KRS.

KRS then received a message.

‘It’s from Facewon, Yoss has managed to escape.’ said KRS.

Lonely looked at Blu and touched her hand.

She shared that she couldn’t see him, he must have run off into the jungle.

‘Right! I want everyone not out at the perimeter here where I can see them!’ shouted g.man.

The group split out and started to call to anyone who wasn’t involved in the defence of the perimeter.

They gathered together around the No Subject campfire, some of the forumites had some kind of weapon, most of them had dropped whatever they had to go to the rallying point.

There was a blast of light roughly fifty metres from the camp.  Lonely looked at Blu.

All of a sudden, gathering in one place did not seem like the best bit of thinking.

Blu grabbed Lonely and pulled him away from No Subject and pushed them both down so they hit the ground with a thud.

Lonely shouted out as he twisted his knee as he landed.

Blu turned to see Daviedigi run towards the crowd, stripped to the waist.

He was infected.

He was smiling.

He was firing the two guns he was carrying into the screaming crowd.
  • Breaking bad am us.
  • Only complaint is that there's not enough me in it.
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • Things is hotting up!

great stuff dawg

g.man
  • Sasukekun wrote:
    Only complaint is that there's not enough me in it.
    there will be. Loads. Patience.

• Thanks G. ;-)
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    WHERE IS TEMPY

WHERE IS MY BODY
    OMG
  • i think it's fair to say it was worth the 10 chapter wait for my scene stealing cameo there.  i was loading the guns with panache!  if it wasn't for me, you'd all probably be dead.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    We* all probably will be dead, you should have put bullets in you fool.

*well, all except for that super-cool Yoss character who's probably off punching trees in the forest or something. When's he coming back?
  • lol.  everyone knows panache is more potent than mere bullets! ;)
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • You might disagree with this next bit then.

I do need some more ideas of how you guys would like to be involved.
  • Chapter eleven

The gunfire was cut short after what seemed like a week and a half.

Blu looked up from where she had pushed herself and Lonely.

The silence was followed by the wails and cries of the injured.

She lifted her head slightly so she could see if Lonely was injured. He was already looking in her direction and his face was pale with a look of complete shock in his eyes.

There was the crackle of the fire at No Subject, there was also a slight sizzling as well, where blood had splattered close enough to start to cook and reduce.

Blu leaned over towards Lonely and she held him close to her. He was physically shaking with fear. She checked him over again and again to make sure that he was unhurt. They had managed to get at least ten feet away from the carnage but she had to make sure.

She looked around at the scene at the campfire itself. Tin Robot was already leaning over someone and furiously compressing on their chest. His arms up to the elbows were splattered with blood where he had already helping the other forumites in the team.

Someone lying to the left of him was missing the bottom part of their left leg. There was a pool of blood below where the leg should have been.

She remembered she had covered Lonely as the bullets were flying. She also remembered feeling several thuds as some of them hit her back. They had simply fragmented when they hit. She knew when to allow things to be real for her and when they shouldn’t. It was something she had to make sure she shared with Lonely so he could do the same thing. It was unfortunately too late for many of those around the campfire.

Tin Robot was now shouting at the top of his voice for someone to help him.  G.man had appeared beside him and was stroking Liveinadive’s head, trying to keep him calm while he was shouting out in extreme pain. It was Skade that had lost the leg.

Frantic, Jimmy the Lips and Olimite had been all shot in the chest. Frantic was able to talk. Jimmy was unconscious. Olimite was screaming and thrashing around. Moto70 and Goober were doing their best to hold him down.

Elmlea was holding Dynamite Ready’s hand above his head where his fingers and hand had been shot off. He also had a couple of bullets in his stomach and was slowly bleeding out.

The only other person that was away from the central carnage campfire was Ramsteelwood. He had run back to camp to load up on more ammo and report to Gunn and had been shot in the head. He was lying near the side of hub. Mod was next to him. He was drifting in an out of consciousness. The bullet that hit him had passed through Stopharage’s spine before imbedding itself just above Ram’s right temple. It was the only reason the top of his head hadn’t been blown off.

Blue Swirl and Metagonzo had been hit in the neck.

Standing at the edge of the clearing with a grin on his face was Yoss. Standing next to Yoss and holding a hand cannon the size of Wigan was Dark Soldier.  Davie was lying at Yoss’ feet. Yoss had snapped his neck so his head was facing the wrong way round. Yoss had cut him open and had removed his heart, which was now lying next to its owner’s body with a bite out of it.  For his final act he had removed the skin and hair from the top of Davie’s head and was now wearing his new ‘wig’ and laughing hysterically. Davie was as dead as a door nail.

Yoss was asking Dark Soldier if he had done well while smiling inanely.

Blood was slowly dripping down his face while he smiled.

Dark Soldier pushed the gun at Yoss’ head in a motion to fire.

Elmlea ran up to DS and shouted at him to hold his fire and for a second it looked like he was going to pull the trigger. He looked at Elm for a second and then smashed his gun against Yoss’ head which made him fall to the ground.

‘I don’t see why he gets to live! He just killed Davie.’ said DS

‘Who had gone rogue and was shooting up the camp.’ replied Elm.

DS removed Davie’s hair from Yoss’ blood soaked head. He placed it gently on Davie’s head.

‘You deserved a better send-off mate.’ said DS.

Yoss was tied up and a dazed Facewon was shouted at.

Tin was in a race against time to help as many people as possible.

It was another two hours of time before most people were made comfortable, or at least given enough of something to make them drift off into a troubled slumber.

Blu and Lonely helped where they could. Blu seemed to be able to calm the most anxious patient and even the likes of Roujin and Optimark and to concede that she helped to improve the situation.

Gunn’s laptop had taken a bullet and so need to be replaced. Luckily the sentry units were mostly autonomous except for the need for ammo replenishment. Gamerluke was blaming himself, he said Ram had mentioned ‘picking up some more panache’ before running off without giving him a chance to go in his place.

Superfly and Gunn were blaming themselves for not increasing the capacity on the units form the beginning.

Mod and Beano were blaming each other.

It wasn’t long before some of the others returned from their positions in the perimeter.  Webbins turned up twenty minutes after the shooting had stopped. He had slight concussion and couldn’t remember what happened to him.

There was no trace of infection in him so he was allowed to help where he could.

Bollockoff was missing. He had headed out with Davie and Webbins and somehow disappeared in the midst of the confusion.

‘Bloody fool is probably out there trying to find another way to deal with the spambots, like he said in the church.’ said Goober.

He said this more to himself than anyone else.

Tin looked exhausted. G.man sat next to him smoking a cigarette and nursing a hot drink. The camp was extremely quiet, except for the very slight sound of gunfire in the distance. Workid had called in to advise that the first of the Chinese spambots were starting the come through.

Gunn and Mod were monitoring the sentries on his laptop.

KRS had a massive crack across her screen and she had several dead pixels.

The whole situation was very Empire Strikes Back.

A small group was gathered around the campfire.

‘Ram’s got hours to live if he is lucky. You know this though.’ Tin said to g.man.

‘If I can get to the control room, I can activate the badges again. We then just log them all out.’ said Petey.

‘I don’t know if you failed to notice what happened but we just got our asses kicked by one of our own.’ said Goober.

‘That’s not helping Goober.’ said Mod.

‘More help than you. We aren’t any closer to getting to that bloody control room than I am of growing udders.’ Goober replied.

‘I heard that.’ said Kow, eating some Kendal Mint Cake.

‘Shut up you two. I don’t need bitching, not now.’ said g.man.

‘I’m still in shock about Davie.’ said Elm.

‘I’m not. He asked for it.’ said Revel.

‘I don’t think anyone deserves that to be honest.’ said Elm.

‘Seriously, check out page one of the thread. It’s all there.’ replied Revel.

There was confusion and some time was given for those that are now going back to page one to see what Davie really said.

‘Yossarian saved us.’ said Lonely.

‘I don’t think it is safe enough to let him go free.’ said g.man.

‘Dark Soldier said that he’s been out among the spambots. They ignore him completely. Maybe we could get him to go up to the control floor?’ said Elm.

‘That’s an idea but it needs either me, Beano or Mod to go up there. Not to mention repairing the console in the first place. I originally thought of taking Gav because he would have all we need to repair it’ said Petey.

‘How long would it take for Yoss to even get up there? How do we know he isn’t going to go hat stand if someone says the wrong thing to him. He might not even help if he did get on to the control floor. I don’t know.’ said g.man.

Blu and Lonely were holding hands again.  Blu waited until there was a natural break in the conversation before she spoke.

She coughed to make sure she had everyone’s attention.

‘I have an idea.’ She said quietly.

Everyone turned to listen what Blu had to say.

‘Now, hear her out before you say anything please.’ said Lonely.

‘When Yoss changed, he really changed. It was almost like he glitched out the system. When Davie was infected, he changed physically as well.  He kept the guns though. He already had the guns he was carrying.  The guns didn’t appear from nowhere. So when you get infected, it somehow has an effect on how you see yourself. You physically change to suit your new personality.’ said Blu.

‘I think I know where this is heading.’ said Gunn.

Blu smiled at him.

‘I’m still lost and have no idea what any of you has been on about. Oh. There’s a bullet hole in my thermos. That’s wick.’ said Kow.

‘I don’t either,’ said Beano.

‘I do. Intrinsic Field theory?’ said Mod.

‘I got your intrinsic field theory right here.’ said Beano.

‘Really?’ said Mod.

‘You want to fill the rest of us in Blu?’ said g.man giving Beano and Mod a Paddington Bear Stare.

‘My hypothesis is that if we let the injured get infected in a controlled manner it should alter their intrinsic field enough to remove any potential life threatening injuries. We then just need to keep those infected secured until we are able to figure out how to remove the infection or we are able to access the control floor.’ said Blu.

‘I can’t allow you to move any of the forumites. You could kill them.’ said Tin.

‘I’m proposing we let Yoss point out the infected spambots and we let them in here.’ said Blu.

‘You don’t even know if he knows which ones are infected!’ said Goober.

‘I agree with Goober. This sounds like total madness. They will wipe us out! Even if we could get them in, get them to infect the guys, what’s to say they won’t start doing a Davie on us?’ added Elm.

‘Blu says as long as they don’t have weapons then that shouldn’t happen.’ said Lonely.

Elm looked at G.man.

‘You’re thinking about it? You are seriously thinking about it?’ questioned Elm.

‘I’m out if options Elm. I’m not about to let another badger die on my watch!’ shouted G.

‘So just say we do this and for arguments sake it works and we, and I use this in the loosest sense of the word, help those poor bastards, then what?’ said Elm.

Blu looked at Lonely. She then looked at the group around her.

Lonely nodded at her, smiled and squeezed her hand.

‘I tried to say this earlier in the church, but I was interrupted.’ Blu started.

She glanced at Petey quickly then looked away.

‘When I used Petey to build this place. It didn’t just happen. I messed around with it for hours, trying to get it looking and working just right. It meant dumping whole loads of information somewhere. Old parts of the Blurum, which in turn had old echoes of the Maroonum.  I also took back-ups, just in case I made mistakes. A copy of this place. With all the working bits. So we could test it. Make sure it worked. Once I finished this place. Well I called it Badger Island. It was for you lot, so that seemed fitting at the time. I was very angry.’ said Blu.

‘Why didn’t you say something before?’ asked G.man.

‘Five season arc.’ said Revel.

Everyone looked confused for a second.

Blu continued.

‘There’s a control floor there as well.  I must admit, I’m a bit messy when I’m emotional so it could be anywhere. I do have a rough idea. I know Petey could get it linked up and we could start up the spam filters, reactivate the badges and get you all home.  It makes more sense to take the fight to where there isn’t one. Where we aren’t fighting against the tide.’

‘So, it is like here but with all the bits you discarded?’ asked Mod

‘It’s about twenty times the size of here. It’s where I think Brooks went.’ replied Blu.

‘So let me get this straight. We get Yoss, who has gone west of the moon, to pick infected spambots to let into the camp to infect the victims of Davie’s attack, then secure these guys who will possibly be stronger and deadlier than their normal selves and then pack everyone up across to the other island that contains all the parts that you discarded when you were psychotic to find a copy of the control floor to allow Petey to reactivate the Spam filters so we don’t get shut down and disappear into oblivion. Which no doubt will contain its own dangers and surprises that will test us to our limits?’ asked Kow.

‘Pretty much.’ Replied Blu.

‘Bear Island it is then.’ said g.man.
  • So
    much
    blood
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • Holy shit Rev!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!