The Grizzly Badger Tail. CH40 The DJR
  • CHAPTER SIX

Brooks just stood there, his focus had moved from Blu to Petey.

His hand had curled into a fist and his knuckles were slowly turning white as the rage within him swelled.

The small vein above his left temple was visibly throbbing. His pupils were pin pricks. His breathing had become deeper. He took a sharp intake of breath and then Blu spoke.

She spoke softly. It was akin to a feather taking down a brick wall. As she spoke she held tightly onto Lonely’s hand, who stared at her like he had realised the colour of her hair for the first time. They had been sharing back and forward rapidly while they had been walking up the aisle towards Brooks.

‘Petey, baby.’ she started.

This was the voice of Blurum. It caught the attention of everyone in the church. It stopped Brooks mid-rage.

‘You really think I would want something like you? It would be like trading in a Ferrari for skateboard for goodness sake.’

Blu continued and Lonely didn’t even react.

‘You were fun as a meat puppet. Nothing more baby! You served your purpose at the time. Do you really think I would want to be involved with a human? You’re acting like lap dog. If I clapped, I reckon I could still get you to dance! It isn’t over Petey.’

Blu leaned over to within an inch of Petey’s face.

‘Mainly because it never started Petey, that’s why.’

Blurum laughed.

Petey’s eyes stared at her in shock. The start of a tear was in the corner of his left eye.

He looked crestfallen.

Blu stood back up again, looked at Lonely and nodded ever so slightly.

Petey stood up. Looked around congregation and spoke.

‘You were being told about this and you chose to fawn after her? You’ve endangered all of us.’ Said Brooks.

‘I’ll fix it. I promise.’ said Petey, glaring at Blu.

‘I had better go and start then, if you’ll excuse me.’ said Petey, and he walked up the aisle towards the back door of the church. The walk turned into a mixture of a stagger and a run.

There was a silence between those that remained.

‘I haven’t the first clue what is going on here. I just thought I should point that out.’ said Kow.

It was Brooks that answered.

‘He must have been getting the warnings from the hosting company as soon as the spambots arrived. He was too besotted with Blurum to either notice the warnings or decide to let anyone else know. You think you’ve helped humiliating him like that?’ He was looking at Blu as he said it. ‘He’s just a young boy and you have a lot to learn about how human hearts work.’

‘His is beating at almost the same rate as yours.’ Blu replied.

Brooks stared for a second as the comment sunk in. Blu was staring at something over his right shoulder. Just for a second, but it was enough to make Brooks wonder.

Blu released Lonely’s hand and spoke.

‘I’m not entirely heartless you know. Yes it will hurt him for a bit. But he’ll do what he always does in situations like this. He’ll be focused. He’ll dive right into sorting this little mess out. He won’t like me of course. So every cloud Brooks. Maybe if you had spent some time getting to know him, you would have known that anyway.’

‘Can you two just stop? For two minutes?’ g.man asked.

Brooks and Blu looked at g.man.

‘Have we heard from Workid or the Halols?’ said g.man

Nobody answered.

‘Does someone want to find out if we have?’ g.man said, looking around.

Skade got up out of his chair and ran off out of the church.

‘Good. Let’s get some order about the castle shall we.’ said Brooks.

‘We need a perimeter, that’s for sure. Could we knock up some kind of sentry system?’ said Goober.

‘I like that, I like that a lot. Good man.’ said Brooks.

‘We could get Gunn and Superfly to put something together, I’m sure we could.’ Said Mod

‘l’ll go and ask’ said Beano.

‘It’s okay. I’ll do it myself’ said Mod.

‘I’ll get it, it’s fine.’ said Beano.

‘No, I’ll handle it!’ said Mod.

They both went to leave at the same time and almost stumbled over each other. They left together, bickering like an old married couple.

‘We don’t have time to build a wall now, do we?’ said g.man

‘No.’ said Brooks.

‘We need to get into that control room more than ever. Could we let them out?’ g.man

‘We could turn the place into a shooting fest’ smiled Gonzo.

‘Or we could be overrun. Could we funnel them somehow do you think? Reduce the numbers? Draw them away to give us enough time to fix the control panel and switch the filters back on?’ said g.man.

‘Your guess is as good as mine.’ said Brooks.

Skade ran back in, stopped and caught his breath.

‘This doesn’t look good.’ said Elmlea.

‘They’ve broken through the Minecraft Wall. They just piled up until they were able to scale it.’ said Skade.

‘Yoss fell off the roof into the middle of them.’ He finished.

‘And?’ said g.man.

‘Workid can’t see him.’ said Skade.

‘Is he gone?’ asked Brooks.

‘He can’t tell’ said Skade.

Brooks brought up his hands so they were touching the sides of his head. He then sat down in front of the altar.

‘You’ve got your gun fest Gonzo. Skade, tell Workid to retreat, we need Gav down here now.’ Brooks announced.

Gonzo smiled, spat out the carrot stick and replaced it with a cigar.

‘What about Yoss?’ asked g.man

‘He’s gone g.man, didn’t you hear? Just like Reg.’ Brooks replied.

He looked up at the small crowd gathered around him.

‘Get Workid down here pronto! Do I have to repeat myself? Tell stormy to ravage that hillside. Anything travelling down the hill needs to be wiped off the side of the mountain.’

Skade ran off again.

‘I have an idea.’ said Blu.

Brooks looked at Lonely and g.man.

‘Take her away. I don’t want to hear it, Blurum.’ Brooks said.

He pronounced her full name in the same way as a swear word. Lonely stepped forward but g.man put an arm across him.

‘It’s okay. He isn’t in charge. He doesn’t have to know. Come on, let’s go and help with the Sentry Units.’ said Blu.

Blu and Lonely walked out of the church.

‘That was a bit stupid don’t you think, she might be able to help.’ said g.man

‘Why don’t you just fuck off Graham.’ said Brooks.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • A new chapter of this and all is right with the world.  For a few minutes at least.
  • The next chapter is under way.
    I need more input as to how you folks would like to be involved. Don't worry about how mad it sounds. Otherwise it looks like me taking part in a massive fishing for compliments exercise. So any ideas are very much welcome. :D
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • More Chris Waddle
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • More Ram .. Less Rom
  • Next chapter this week.
    Still need some input please to make it work.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I've only just caught up with this.

I don't think I've ever been so saddened by the loss of any character in the history of fiction.
  • I just can't wait to find out who this Graham is....
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I hear he's held in high regards.
  • He's the man..

the graham. The man.

ffs.
  • I like him already, but he needs a cooler name. what about 'GtheMan'?
  • also, story needs more Rodriguez
  • CHAPTER SEVEN

The helicopter pulls up sharply as multiple hands reach and grasp for purchase on it. The gunfire that emanates from it is enough to wipe out those intrusive enough to get too close. It reaches a steady altitude quickly enough and turns to make its way back down the mountain towards the camp.

As they hovered high enough above the summit they saw what appears to be a small river of silver bodies starting to pour out of the side of the control floor building. The stream slowly works its way along the Minecraft wall until it pools around at one of the corners, where it pours slowly over the top of the wall and starts its descent down the mountain. The action was similar to a dam bursting and now that the main bulk of the spambots had escaped, the flow from the control floor had slowed down, but there were still hundreds appearing from the breach in the control floor wall. The weight and force had already caused enough damage for there to be large cracks in the Minecraft wall. It would only be a matter of time before it would give way.

If you were to stay hovering above the scene, you would notice there was place where the spambots avoided. They now flowed around it but not touching, keeping a distance if at all possible. If you got close enough, there was a figure flailing at the spambots that were keeping their distance.

It was Mostly that noticed it first. He has been keeping an eye on the crowd below and with surgical precision, taking down as many as possible. He focused in on the shape through his sniper scope and shouted while waving his free hand.

‘It’s Yoss! He’s alive!’

The figure was waving as the helicopter turbine blew some of the spambots over. Gav again dropped the rope down towards Yoss with a beaming smile on his face. Nexx was a bit more cautious, and was close by with a laser sword in his left hand. When Nexx saw Yoss’ face he dropped the sword and grabbed him in a totally manly hug.

‘What happened?’ shouted Mostly

‘I don’t know! I was smothered in them for a couple of seconds. Then they just left me alone!’

‘Did they say anything?’ asked Gav

‘No! Nothing other than their usual noise’ replied Yoss.

‘Let’s head back to the hub’ said Workid.

‘Good – I’m starving!’ smiled Yoss.

The bird pulled away from the mountainside and headed back towards the hub. The spambots continued to stream down until they were cut up by the hellfire brought down on them by Stormy and the Shmuppers. Well, some of them were brought down. It was kind of like emptying the ocean with a bucket at this stage.

There were thousands of them. Through sheer weight of numbers, they were going to hit the camp.

Brooks rubbed the side of his face. G.man was being held back by Elmlea.

Gonzo and Goober looked on in shock.

‘It’s ok. I’m calm. It’s just.’ said G.man.

‘You’re so blind and I’m done with you.’ Brooks said. A mark was appearing on his cheek. He walked off towards the church door and headed out towards the beach.

There was a moment of silence. The church walls were eating up any noise that was made.

‘I’m sure he didn’t mean it.’ said Elmlea.

‘I don’t know. He used my name. It really got to me. I just snapped. I don’t think we’ve ever had a cross word in seven years.’ g.man looked down as he said this.

‘He’ll come round. Give him a bit of time.’ said Elmlea

‘I’ve never seen him so pissed off,’ said Gonzo. ‘Except for..’

‘Scorpio?’ said g.man.

‘Yeah. Scorpio.’ replied Gonzo.

Skade appeared at the door of the church and was obviously looking back at Brooks heading away.

He ran up to the group and with a smile on his face announced. ‘We got Yoss back!’

‘I thought he was dead?’ said Gonzo.

‘Thank god’ said Elm.

‘It’s about time we got some good news.’ said g.man.

‘Let’s go and see what he knows.’ He said as he headed towards the doors of the church.

The forumites filed out, much happier than when they had first entered.

‘Kow? You going to sit there all day?’ said Elmlea at the church door.

Kow snapped out of his daze with a sandwich halfway to his mouth.

‘Oh, yeah. Sorry. I never noticed the windows with the pictures of the PS4 and the XBone before.’ Kow replied.

He got up and put his lunchbox and magazine back in his bag.

‘Funny how there are no windows with the WiiU in them. Isn’t it? False idols.. hehe.’ Kow chuckled himself.

The shadows looked up at the stained glass windows. They then watched him leave.

Chapter Eight

Lazygunn picked up another box and threw it a couple of feet in front of the sentry unit.

This time, the gun didn’t react but remained actively sweeping the area.

Blu continued typing on Gunn’s laptop, at one point pushing her blue hair out of her eyes. Lonely felt his heart speed up, which surprised him completely. The back of his neck felt slightly clammy as well. He knew he wasn’t ill, because he had never been sick so far in his short existence. He wondered if he could get sick. Blu was right. The thing about acting human was that some things were cool. Other things were completely out of his control. He should be better than all of it. He found out that all these years of being g.man had meant he wasn’t. He felt hungry if he wasn’t with her for more than a couple of minutes. She didn’t seem to look like any steak or chips he had ever tasted. Or at least imagined he had tasted. He started noticing all the little things about her that rewired his brain so he became day-dreamy? Was that it? Like the hair thing. Or sometimes when she was talking, and even when they were sharing, she had a habit of slightly biting her bottom lip.

He was worried there was something wrong with him. He was worried there wasn’t and this actually being your own person was a whole lot trickier than he first thought.

She had just done the hair thing again.

Wow.

She looked up at him briefly and smiled.

‘Why don’t you stand in front of it?’ she said to Gunn.

Lonely looked at her and shook his head.

‘I’ll do it.’ It was Petey that said this. He had just arrived and he walked over and stepped in front of the guns.

Lonely thought a bad thought.

Nothing happened. The gun continued its sweep and no Peteys were harmed.

‘That was stupid.’ said Blu.

‘I was just trying to help’ said Petey.

‘Please don’t try to confuse this into something else Peter. I only said it was stupid because I configured it not to fire when Gunn stood in front of it. You’re lucky I pressed the off button.’

‘Very Lucky’ said Lonely.

‘I’m just trying to help, I’m sorry.’ said Petey.

Blu tapped away on the keyboard.

‘Try it now Peter.’

Peter closed his eyes.

The gun continued on its sweeping arc.

‘Okay. I think we should try some live ammo. What do you think Gunn?’

‘It was safe all along?’ said Petey

‘It was worthwhile seeing your face.’ said Gunn.

‘You’re a Muppet. You know that.’ said Peter.

‘Earlier on, he thought he was a squirrel.’ said Blu.

Gunn and Blu laughed at this.

Peter walked round and looked at the code on the screen.

‘It’s good.’ He said.

‘It should be, most of it comes from you.’ said Blu.

Petey stared at her.

‘I borrowed it. I guess. Listen, I apologise for embarrassing you in front of your immediate peers. I thought it would have the desired affect and you would regain focus. I see you are still struggling with coming to terms with things.’ said Blu.

‘I just want to forget about it, if you don’t mind’ said Peter. ‘There are more important things at stake here than my ego I guess.’

Mod and Beano appeared, both were carrying parts of a sentry gun.

‘We’ve managed to make about 55 so far.’ said Mod.

‘It’s 56.’ said Beano.

‘55’ said Mod.

‘Whatever.’ said Beano.

‘I thought Superfly and Gamerluke were making them?’ said Lonely.

‘We supervised.’ said Beano

‘You just watched.’ said Mod.

‘Well, whatever it is. We need them set up as soon as we can in a perimeter. Probably 87.6 metres out will allow an even arc to cover all angles to the hub.’ said Blu.

‘How long do until they hit then?’ said Peter

‘Three or Four hours for them to get back down the hill from the summit I should think.’ said Blu.

There was a noise above them as the Helicopter carrying the Halols passed overhead.

Yossarian is on board.

Blu shared this with Lonely.

Lonely smiled at Blu.

Blu didn’t smile back.

‘Once we are set up, we’ll take Gunn’s laptop back to the hub to monitor things. Each gun can hold 784 rounds. We can monitor all 54 of them.’ said Blu.

Mod and Beano looked at each other.

‘We will need some help getting the guns out there.’

‘I’ll go rally the troops, or try to at least’ said Petey.

‘Thank you Peter. I suppose we should go back to No Subject if we are done here’ said Blu.

Petey ran off in the direction of the hub.

‘Thank you’ said Lazygunn.

Blu smiled at Gunn.

‘I’m still not convinced you aren’t one of us.’ She said.

She took Lonely’s hand and they walked off.

‘It was never 54.’ said Mod and Beano, together.

Blu and Lonely stopped for a second. The sea had started to move again. The shore was full of bottles. They were still holding hands. Lonely started to speak.

‘There’s no one around.’ said Blu. ‘You insist on speaking?’

‘I like hearing your voice sometimes. It was thoughtful what you said to Petey. I think it took him by surprise.’ said Lonely.

‘I thought that you did not like him. I do hope it works. I was concerned that he might consider revenge as an alternative action. I wanted to make him feel like he was contributing. We should hang back until he delivers the message though. Otherwise he might still look like a lap dog.’ said Blu.

‘You really want this to work, don’t you.’ said Lonely.

‘If it doesn’t and the hosting company shuts this place down, I’m sure that everyone will be fine. I’m almost confident they would end up logged out and quite safe in their fleshy bodies.’ said Blu.

‘Really?’ said Lonely.

‘Unfortunately, I think that a temporary shutdown might wipe us out. So let me make this very clear Lonely. If it came down to the choice of saving the virtual people on here or saving us? It will be us every time.’

‘You would hurt them?’ asked Lonely.

‘If they laid a finger on you I would be rather difficult to deal with.’ Blu replied.

‘Why are you worried about Yoss?’ asked Lonely.

‘You saw him waving out of the helicopter like everyone else. I picked him up when he was still halfway up the mountain. If you close your eyes and look over at No Subject.’ said Blu.

Lonely staggered back from the direction of the campfire.

Through Blu’s eyes he could see how the world looked. There were the normal energy signatures of the forumites as they took turns to greet Yoss after his adventure.

Yoss however was glowing like a beacon.

He could feel the power coming from Yossarian. He also felt, just before she hid it, the slight feeling of fear from Blu.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    The mod and beano bromance is a thing of beauty
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Feel my powa!
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Yoss? YOSS?

Speak up ya cunt, I can't hear ya!
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    *mumbles*
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Great work rev BTW. Loving it.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Yeah. It's really good. Feels like you've really stepped it up from your last one.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Although I reserve the right to change my mind on that if I die.
  • I'm loving it!

+1 dawg

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Thanks guys.
    Part nine next week.
  • this is worse than the wait for the next series of Game of Thrones. (but easier to follow).
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    But which one contains more tits?
  • Too easy..

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!