ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Time Crisis (hundreds of pounds spent on that game)
    Typing of the Dead (just to be a dick)
    Point Blank
    Some movement sensing thing in Sega World Bournemouth, you could duck and take cover, was super fun, if a on gimmick pony, but all light gun games are a gimmick anyway
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • The pump-action reload in Space Gun was brilliant. Arcade classic.
  • 1. Time Crisis 2
    2. Point Blank (or 2 whatevs, I cant remember the difference)
    3. House of the Dead 2
    4. Dead space Extraction
    5. Time Crisis 3
  • Virtua Cop
    Virtua Cop 2
    Point Blank
    Duck Hunt
    Probably Time Crisis but I've never really played it.

Really want to play that Gungeon lightgun cab.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    1. Virtua Cop
    2. HOTD Overkill
    3: Ghost Squad
    4. Confidential Mission
    5. Shoot Away (Namco clay arcade machine)
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • There where a couple of the old physical Namco shooting galleries emulated in one of the Time Crisis games. Either 2 or 3.
    They were great fun.

Edit: a quick google and it looks like it was Time Crisis 2 on PS2.
    It had Shoot Away 2 and Quick & Crash.
  • 1. Silent Scope
    2. Time Crisis
    3. House of the Dead Overkill
    4. Die Hard Trilogy
    5. Lucky & Wild
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:
    There where a couple of the old physical Namco shooting galleries emulated in one of the Time Crisis games. Either 2 or 3. They were great fun. Edit: a quick google and it looks like it was Time Crisis 2 on PS2. It had Shoot Away 2 and Quick & Crash.

Shoot Away is in my "100 best" thread entry. An arcade experience I have yet to repeat. There's rose tint I'm sure but it was helped by the fact that it has a great 2 player mode and my mate and I were evenly matched.
  • Duck Hunt
    Time Crisis
    Time Crisis 2
    Point Blank
    Point Blank 2
    Virtua Cop
    Virtua Cop 2
    Operation Wolf
    Lethal Enforcers
    Lethal Enforcers 2
    House of the Dead
    House of the Dead 2

That's all you need really.
  • Distinct lack of love for Ready, Aim, Tomatoes in here.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Haven't listed Operation Wolf - but that was a hell of a coin eater in the arcade. Loved that game.

Technically it isn't a light gun game - it's actually analogue stick aiming - but I'd still include it in the genre.  Just shy of my top 5.

Surprised at the lack of Ghost Squad love.
  • Duck Hunt Time Crisis Time Crisis 2 Point Blank Point Blank 2 Virtua Cop Virtua Cop 2 Operation Wolf Lethal Enforcers Lethal Enforcers 2 House of the Dead House of the Dead 2 That's all you need really.

No.

It's a good list and all, but you also need, Laser Ghost, Space Gun, Confidential Mission, Vampire Night, Ninja Assault, Police 911, House of the Dead: Overkill, Starsky & Hutch (flawed but genuinely fun), Project Horned Owl, Operation Thunderbolt, Dead Space Extraction, Ghost Squad, Crypt Killer and Elemental Gearbolt.
  • Ooh.
    Totally forgot.
    Die Hard 2 from Die Hard Trilogy.
  • Oh sorry Andy, missed that in your list.
  • Ok here's a weird one...

https://www.analogue.co/dac/

A digital to Analogue converter, designed by Analogue who did the Mega Sg and the Super Nt so you can use them on a CRT or pvm.

I'm not sure whether this would work with a PS4 or why you would want to but mental reverse engineering on action!
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Virtua Cop 2
    Point Blank
    HotD:Overkill
    Time Crisis
    Ghost Squad

Restricted to one entry per series, but I don't think the above would change anyway, aside from Virtua Cop pushing GS out as it slots in between PB and Overkill.
  • Is this the place to discuss emulation?

I have an NVidia Shield that I've just put a new version of Hyperspin on, and the tutorial mentions the MAME 2010 core. This is not available to install from the repository but various other MAME cores are. How do I go about installing the MAME 2010 core to the Shield?

Also, I have a Pi3b that I have RetroPie on. I found there to be quite a bit of lag when using my joystick or pads.

Can anyone offer some real world advice on which platform is best for mostly old school arcade games like Scramble, Commando etc? I also use RetroX on my Shield but for some reason Scramble does not work?

I'm looking to get these set up properly with scanlines, but after a lot of reading, it all seems to be a bit subjective. Are there any definitive resources for this kind of thing that I'm not aware of?
    PSN: LtPidgeon - Live: Lt Pidgeon
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Might not technically be the right answer, but I found LaunchBox fixed all my emu issues, had previously been juggling RetroArch and SHMUPMame before. It has an android release as well, and I found it pretty intuitive to get going on, free version but I might pay at some point for the extra box art and library organising stuff
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • cockbeard wrote:
    Might not technically be the right answer, but I found LaunchBox fixed all my emu issues, had previously been juggling RetroArch and SHMUPMame before. It has an android release as well, and I found it pretty intuitive to get going on, free version but I might pay at some point for the extra box art and library organising stuff

Brilliant, I'll have a look for that. Thanks.
  • LaunchBox on Android seems like a pain in the arse. You have to fanny about with it in Windows and then export it for Android. I really wish I hadn't bothered with this Shield as MAME support seems to be lacking.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    There are 3 emulators that I have found to be satisfying.

MAME - the original daddy. For old school raster arcade games it is hard to beat. I use a build that is purposed for 32 bit shmups but it runs the older stuff like Donkey Kong etc just fine.

NESTER - for NES games. Lovely. There's a build for Dreamcast too which works great.

Stella - peerless for 2600 game emulation. Can add phosphor effects etc. It's also a valuable game dev tool as it has a superb debugger that I have used to amend ROMs to work at full speed on a PAL machine. Is a winner when combined with the Harmony cartridge.

I have no idea as to how well these are supported on handhelds. An old PC slapped into a media case with the requisite controllers and front-end are all I'd need.

The nicest front end I've used was an old one called ArcadeOS which is optimised to be used in a cabinet. Was a splendid thing but I think it only runs in DOS sadly.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Sorry Pidgeon, I only did it on Windows and it was pretty great, never tried the android side myself just saw it had android version :(
  • Not really for me but apparently modern games look great on CRT's

オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Remarkable Retro, thanks for sharing. It's a pretty big news for pc gaming. The fact you can drop the resolution so low and bump up frame rates and ray tracing means that you don't actually need that powerful a pc to run even the latest games.
  • cockbeard wrote:
    Sorry Pidgeon, I only did it on Windows and it was pretty great, never tried the android side myself just saw it had android version :(

No worries! I found a workaround to get Scramble working on Retrox with a decent crt filter on it
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Not really for me but apparently modern games look great on CRT's

Heh. People only realising CRT is better now?

Sheesh.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I have decent doubles of PAL Saturn games if anyone wants them for the price of postage.

In case with manual. Working fine.

Manx TT - DVD style snap case - slight water damage on the insert.
    Pro Pinball The Web
    Athlete Kings

PM me if you want them.
  • I would love Manx tt davy if ok?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    No probs. It's best with the analogue controller. PM me your address and I'll figure out postage.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!