Currently Playing
  • I dunno. Having too much fun to notice the geography!
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    The main thing holding me back is having not finished SMG2, let alone got anywhere near 120 stars or green star shizzle on either 1 or 2. Should I resolve that first, or ok to mix and match??
  • I would finish both of those as priority. Amazing videogames.
  • Mario games are all the same really so you'll be fine to mix and match.
    The Forum Herald™
  • I'm playing GTAIV. I'm always playing GTAIV.

I begin with good intentions. It's early morning, the bright sun sits low in the sky. I know it'll stay sunny all day because it always does. When I step outside, the buildings across the street are bathed in orange light. A cop chases a biker down the street. I wonder if they are on a twenty-four hour loop, they always seem to be running down this street at this time.

In front of me sit a bright red Italian sports car, angled toward the city and an almighty heap of America's finest muscle car, facing the sea. I jump into whichever car catches my imagination, tune the radio and cruise, marvelling at the city, still fresh after all this time.

Skyscrapers contrast with the blue sky above me, flames shoot from industrial chimneys, waves lap against urban beaches. The radio seems clairvoyant, so often the music matches the view. Driving these diverse and busy streets feels meditative. I choose routes that take in favourite roads, sights and jumps, still occasionally chancing upon an unfamiliar road or short-cut, or a previously unnoticed landmark.

Inevitably a long straight tempts me to push my speed a little higher. Driving within the speed limit is easy but push it beyond that and you need skill. The city's cars handle beautifully, their characteristics unique enough that there are very few I'm not tempted to drive when the opportunity presents itself.

I'm always moving, I never having to double back. On the highways I weave between traffic and execute handbrake turns at speed. Away from the main streets there's always an alley or a path through the trees, some planks left in a skip that make a useful ramp. On a motorbike the possibilities multiply, curbs and steps become jumps and new routes open up. Even more skill is required and if I'm heavy on the throttle or time things wrong the resulting crashes are hilariously brutal.

At speed, I'm driving on a knife edge. Clip a wall or a car at the wrong angle and things go wrong pretty quickly. Impacts make a mess of these perfectly designed cars, bending them into twisted shapes, bumpers hanging loose and smoke billowing. Sparks fly and showers of newspapers fly through the air.

Enough damage and the smoke turns black, small flames licking around the engine. It's time to seek out a traffic jam, or better yet a petrol station. Dump the car, retreat to a safe distance and wait for the flames to engulf the rear wheels. A chain reaction begins, cars detonating, smoke and flames everywhere. No heat though, this is considered an accident and no police intervention is required.

By this point good intentions turn bad and all bets are off. Maybe I careen into another car but it was the other driver's fault. Maybe I'm crossing the road to liberate a parked car and I end up somersaulting over a bonnet. Maybe somebody speaks to me with a potty mouth. Blows are exchanged, sometimes worse. I speed off in another car and within seconds I'm pursued.

However this ends up, it's unlikely to be pretty but I'm already looking forward to the next sunny morning.
  • Halo 4. I'm shooting stuff.
  • I do the shooting stuff, too.
  • It just doesn't inspire flowery speech.
  • There's nothing about Halo 4 that inspires flowery speech. It is rather pretty though.
  • I dunno, you could easily write a similar missive about multiplayer experiences
  • I'm all about the flowers.
  • @Tempy. Should have qualified my statement by including the word campaign.
  • You're putting yourself through needless misery there. It's very boring.
  • I'm playing The Wolf Among Us at home and Minish Cap when not. I'm enjoying both, particularly the former which further cements Telltale as kings of point and click.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    You're putting yourself through needless misery there. It's very boring.

Probably an NGJ piece on why playing Halo 4 campaign is, in some way, an attempt to atone for the sins you have committed on others by entering some sort of purgatory presided over by a disturbingly sexualised AI.
  • I thought completing The Order was punishment enough.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Skondo wrote:
    I thought completing The Order was punishment enough.

Pffttt, hell is an eternity. Five hours will pass like a cock-dangling QTE
  • Subbax
    Show networks
    Facebook
    andrew.henderson
    Twitter
    Subbax
    Xbox
    Subbax
    PSN
    SubAxe
    Steam
    Subbax

Send message
    Invisible Inc. Much like Tempy says, it's fantastic.  I'm almost at the end of my first beginner run through and will crank it up afterwards.

Unlike Tempy, I am definitely not invincible. I can only take out a +1 armoured enemy so avoidance is the key. I can't wait to go through on higher difficulty and unlock more people. I wasted a few missions by doing them in the wrong order. I won't make the same mistake twice.
    It's a goddamn snoozefest out there.
  • Glad you'r enjoying it! Recently I've gone one of two ways: Getting ruined in the first level, or breeze through to get ruined on the last level. It's a rogue so they'll always be the hardest, I just need to get better. Are you just using Decker and Internationale?
  • Subbax
    Show networks
    Facebook
    andrew.henderson
    Twitter
    Subbax
    Xbox
    Subbax
    PSN
    SubAxe
    Steam
    Subbax

Send message
    Yeah, it's still first run through. Bought it yesterday so haven't had too much time.
    It's a goddamn snoozefest out there.
  • we've had trippy for a while
  • Oh. Haven't bumped into him/her yet. Hi Trippy!
  • Hi, (stone) Chalice! Pleased to meet you.
  • bibidybobbidyboo
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @martingwilliams
    Xbox
    bordude
    PSN
    bibidybobbidyboo
    Wii
    bordude / bibidybobbidyboo

Send message
    Hi Trippy, welcome to the forum!

Don't worry about spelling my name, I usually don't bother.

Bibdsflkjdslkfhwqrhqhflkhkf
    Twitter: Mr Three-Dee@martingwilliams
  • Hola! Ever been to the Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique at Harrods? Second only to the Princess Diana shrine.
  • You should warn people before they look that up; I've just been sick in my mouth.
  • Sick with jealousy. I'll be the Belle of the Ball.
  • I'm not currently playing it, but has anyone played Anarchy Reigns? Is it worth the HUGE £3-5 that it'll cost me to get hold of or will it just harm my feelings towards Platinum?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I've got it. It's shit streets of rage.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!