Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Nah this is miles better.
  • First time playing Super Metroid and it is quite possibly the best 16 bit era game. I just regret not playing this back in the day.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    It's bloody good , isn't it?

Lucky to have played it back in the day.  What I don't like about Super Metroid is that it fucked up Castlevania which has tried to copy its template ever since.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Disagreed.
    Symphony of the knight is one of the best examples of the genre yet. It adds an rpg overlay to super metroid's exploration template. One that has been reused recently in From Software's Dark Souls series.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Circle of the Moon was great too.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Does anyone have Eternal Darkness for GameCube they'd be willing to sell or lend
    The Forum Herald™
  • hunk wrote:
    Disagreed. Symphony of the knight is one of the best examples of the genre yet. It adds an rpg overlay to super metroid's exploration template. One that has been reused recently in From Software's Dark Souls series.
    SotN also gets a bad rep for being a copy of the Metroid formula IMO. It has obvious similarities but the best aspects of it are all its own.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Bob wrote:
    Does anyone have Eternal Darkness for GameCube they'd be willing to sell or lend
    Yes
  • davyK wrote:
    It's bloody good , isn't it? Lucky to have played it back in the day.  What I don't like about Super Metroid is that it fucked up Castlevania which has tried to copy its template ever since.

Super Metroid created the formula, the Castlevania series perfected it.

I wouldn’t say it fucked up the series, anything but however the pinnacle of the franchise is Order of Ecclesia which is a sublime blend of the traditional Castlevania formula and the Metroidvania structure.
  • Surprised by that. Always thought Castlevania was doing something a bit different and never played Metroid at its own game. Also thought Ecclesia was a particularly weak part of the series.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I've still never played a Castlevania.  But Dawn of Sorrow and Lord of Shadow are now staring at me...
  • JonB wrote:
    Surprised by that. Always thought Castlevania was doing something a bit different and never played Metroid at its own game. Also thought Ecclesia was a particularly weak part of the series.

I didn’t even bother with Ecclesia. Got bored part way through Portrait of Ruin. It was getting tiresome by then.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    I've still never played a Castlevania.  But Dawn of Sorrow and Lord of Shadow are now staring at me...

Both are great. Enjoy.
  • JonB wrote:
    Surprised by that. Always thought Castlevania was doing something a bit different and never played Metroid at its own game. Also thought Ecclesia was a particularly weak part of the series.

It’s follows the template but has massively expanded upon that, that was apparent in SOTN as well as the subsequent sequels. It took a a while to adjust to Super Metroid because in comparison to even SOTN which only came out a couple years after many of its mechanics and design aspects feel inferior. Any suggestion this is simply a copy is way of the mark, if anything the 2D Metroid series has some serious catching up to do. As for Ecclesia, well I personally think it is fitting that it is the last true entry in the series. It’s a perfect blend of the old and the new formula and the controls, design and art are just perfect.

• Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Super Metroid is untouchable and you can all stop this silliness right now.
  • Super Metroid is untouchable and you can all stop this silliness right now.

My man.
  • They're just very different beasts, once you get beyond the basic thing of an open area with bits that are barred off till later.

The level design in SM is far more intricate - every screen serves a purpose - and it's more skill based, especially when you want to collect all the extra bits and bobs.

SOTN is brilliant for exploring and constantly rewards you with new gear, areas and enemies. I also like that it's a bit rough around the edges, and almost doesn't give a fuck what order you do things in later on, while later Vanias of that sort are too streamlined.

Both fantastic, and among my favourite games, although I had SM in my top 10 and SOTN just outside it.
  • Metroid: Original adventure exploration template.
    'Vania: Added rpg elements and gear to the mix.
    Souls: Introduced crafting and beat 'em up mechanics to the genre.

To argue which is best is mostly personal preference. I've enjoyed the evolution of the genre and Hollow knight seems to be a return to 2d form. Sticks mostly to the metroid template with souls like fighting mechanics whilst ditching the rpg parts. Highly recommended.
  • Ori in the Blind Forest is a Metroidvania of sorts, and it would would definitely be in my top 10.  It's light on exploration though - despite areas being off-limits while you wait for ability unlocks, you rarely (if ever) stumble on a head scratchy progression moment.  It's more of a skills based platformer with a Metroid-lite template and kinda linear adventuring - probably why I like it so much.  SM had more of the 'okay I'm stumped' feeling you might get from a point and click, which is one of the main reasons I've always bounced off it.
  • I found Ori a bit too by the numbers, pretty visuals aside. Guacamelee is the best of the also rans for me. SM is the best I’ve played but never got round to SOTN so what do I know.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    B says I need to play Ori after Super Metroid, I just don't really like the look of it.

Played a couple of the gba / ds Castlevania's, never tried SotN so can't really compare.

I'm close to the end game in Super Metroid now, am just in a room with 3 enemies that give out the small energy recharge balls, as I was almost out. Takes ages and my hand still hurts, maybe the 3DS isn't that great after all for Snes games, as the dpad is so low. Think 2 energy tanks and maybe 1 ammo upgrade is all that I've left.

This game is so full of atmosphere, and it's different than in any Castlevania I've played. You're on your own, in a world that you don't know. You've no idea which part of the environment might hurt you, what will be ok to just walk through. Some enemies are there just to annoy you, some hurt you, there are enemies that don't pay attention to you at all, are just doing their own thing. You need to learn all this, learn to be in that world while trying to make your way to who knows what. Feels very Alien to me, in a good way.

Only the other day, while backtracking for power ups, I realized that
    Spoiler:

I love it, and I think DS is right.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Nina wrote:
    I think DS is right.

Mantra to live ya life by
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    hunk wrote:
    Disagreed. Symphony of the knight is one of the best examples of the genre yet. It adds an rpg overlay to super metroid's exploration template. One that has been reused recently in From Software's Dark Souls series.

You have no idea how much a crushing disappointment SOTN was to me. I always loved the tightly focussed linear experience of Castlevania and when I started playing this and saw all that bolted on RPG related stuff/guff my heart sank. To turn such a tight game into a bloody run-of-the-mill-that-everyone-else-does-explorathon was a sin.

It got a shit PAL port as well on PS1 which didn't help as it played with huge borders - even larger than usual - but I would have ignored that if I had liked it.

I nearly wet myself when I found it pre-owned in GAME for £12 with the soundtrack and artbook in immaculate condition. I really tried to like it. But it just gathered dust on my shelf until I offloaded it a couple of years ago after several attempts at playing it.  Then the series jumped to the GBA - a platform I despised because I couldn't see the screen. That was the end of it for me. By the time the SP came around I had lost all interest.
  • I experienced the ps version on a modded psone/ pc emulation so no borders for me. Glorious full screen 60hz is the way to go. I emulated the gba castlevania's in virtualboy. Not a bad way to replay old titles, it also plays surprisingly well on an android phone.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I have a GBA player for my Gamecube. Have an SP too. I suppose I could give one of them a try.
  • davyK wrote:
    You have no idea how much a crushing disappointment SOTN was to me. I always loved the tightly focussed linear experience of Castlevania and when I started playing this and saw all that bolted on RPG related stuff/guff my heart sank. To turn such a tight game into a bloody run-of-the-mill-that-everyone-else-does-explorathon was a sin.
    This was after about, what, 10 versions of the older style Vania? It needed a new direction by then. And what SotN did was still quite original at the time.
  • Just bought this for $2.50 on vita
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • Just bought this for $2.50 on vita

American PSN?
  • There aren't that many games using the metroid vania template. There's a reason for this, it's hard to implement right and it takes a lot of work. Hell, even dark souls got toned down level designs after the first game; designing interlinking worlds is hard and it's even harder in 3d.

Metroidvania games are adventure exploration games, not arcade games. You have to be in the right mindset to tackle them. They are not arcade style experiences, jump in jump out for a quick fix. It's more like zelda without the fixed overhead view. Go in expecting an arcade game and you'll be dissapointed yeah.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!