Currently Playing
  • I never really got the Dark Souls as Metroidvania idea. There's a few doors and keys but no new abilities to learn that open up new areas, and not a lot of backtracking.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I loved both Zelda AlttP and Super Metroid. But I was done with that type of game once I had played them. Didn't want any more.
    JonB wrote:
    You have no idea how much a crushing disappointment SOTN was to me. I always loved the tightly focussed linear experience of Castlevania and when I started playing this and saw all that bolted on RPG related stuff/guff my heart sank. To turn such a tight game into a bloody run-of-the-mill-that-everyone-else-does-explorathon was a sin.
    This was after about, what, 10 versions of the older style Vania? It needed a new direction by then. And what SotN did was still quite original at the time.

Well...SOTN came after 4 or 5 (with a few reduxes/remixes on the side) so not exactly that many  but I know what you mean. Maybe it needed to move on a bit but I was disappointed with the direction. More could have been made of the 8 way whip control and the swinging sections in 4 to create more complex areas to navigate whilst retaining the assault course feel of the game. More could have been made of boss fights. A few new weapons with levels/enemies to match. Alternative routes maybe as per Rondo of Blood. Keys as per Rebirth. The exploring bit was just a big turn off - I just couldn't be bothered with the grind.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • JonB wrote:
    I never really got the Dark Souls as Metroidvania idea. There's a few doors and keys but no new abilities to learn that open up new areas, and not a lot of backtracking.

I can buy Dark Souls the First as a Metroidvania but the series, as a whole, has been cashing cheques off the quality and structure of that game for too long now. It’s the exception, not the rule.

Demons, Dark 2, Dark 3 and Bloodborne have all done hubs and / or teleportation. Dark 1 is the only that approached actual Metroidvania.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I can't stop playing Golf Clash. Got 2nd in the beginner league. Get me.
  • Just bought this for $2.50 on vita
    American PSN?
    Ya
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • Just bought this for $2.50 on vita
    American PSN?
    Ya

Cool. Was worried you had bought it from a PAL region. The PAL SotN version on the PSN store is actually really nasty.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Even on vita?!
  • Yeah, found I couldn't go from the silky smooth U.S version to the much slower Pal one. Felt like Alucard was running through mud the whole time ... on ps3 + Vita.
  • tbh I have so much to get through on Switch not sure when I will get to it but not played a castlevania to my shame
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • I've only ever played the PAL version and not been bothered by it.

I just don't tend to notice this stuff I think.
  • That sort of stuff can be a case of ignorance is bliss. If you don't know it could be running differently or haven't seen it running differently, then you just deal with it at face value.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • All laptop at the moment.

I'm playing cryptark. Rogue-lite apparently. Short campaign, but no guarantee you can finish it, as you have a strict budget and failing a mission costs lots of money. Space twin stick shooter. Looting spaceships and space stations. Looks lovely. I am struggling to adjust to timed missions though. My recent played games are all big explorathons.

Hob. Definitely growing into something really great. Minor performance issues aside. Combat is balanced just right and there's some nuance. The puzzling is pretty clever. And it just let's you play. There's basically nothing like a full cut scene. They use old school in game camera tricks (think start of silent Hill the first) most of the time. And they do it well.

Destiny 2 (pc) I heart 60fps.

• It's pretty easy to get sucked into pool/snooker games, especially on handhelds.  Much like golf, in that respect. I sank a few hours into International Snooker on Vita for example, and that was under £2.  Hustle Kings feels pretty much perfect at this stage, loving the feel of the game and the constant variety in the career mode.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Facewon wrote:
    That sort of stuff can be a case of ignorance is bliss. If you don't know it could be running differently or haven't seen it running differently, then you just deal with it at face value.

The scales fell from my eyes with Dreamcast. 60Hz mode was a real eye opener. After a while I became quite angry about it; especially considering the less than generous pricing we were hit with in Europe.

There was never an excuse for it. Even back in the Atari 2600 days there were attempts to minimise the impact of the different refresh rates. Some of the early 1st party games are at least on a par with their NTSC originals. There are notes on how to code games for both standards in the developer documentation of the day. Activision for example just didn't bother.

PAL operates at 50 Hz compared to NTSC 60Hz, a 17% reduction. If game play speed is based on frames per second, it will slow down by 17%. This can be disastrous for most skill/action carts. If the NTSC version is designed with 2 byte fractional addition techniques (or anything not based on frames per second) to move objects, then PAL conversion can be as simple as changing the fraction tables, avoiding major surgery on the program.
  • Yeah, I'm with you. Chipped psone4lyfe.

I once wrote a review for an Activision Bball game for a mates Mag. Ripped it for letterbox action and no 60 option. They stopped hitting us up with freebies. Lol.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I got a boot disc for my PS1 that lets me play imports and it also can be used to force PAL games into 60Hz but not all of them work. Ps1 isn't really a platform I'm was into - I only got one after N64 and Saturn. I still have a few nice games for it though.
  • Tell me you have Xi? (devils dice.)
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    Even on vita?!

Yup. Absolutely horrid port.
    JonB wrote:
    I've only ever played the PAL version and not been bothered by it.

I just don't tend to notice this stuff I think.

I rarely tend to notice this kinda stuff either but SotN was so bad, IMO, that it I couldn’t do anything but notice it. I hadn’t even played the NTSC version at the time - I knew the PAL port was horrid just from playing the PAL port.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I'm now intrugued - so tge vita does 50hz pal or 60hz ntsc depending on the download version? Did not know that. Why not just have it did the better one independent of store?!?
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    I'm now intrugued - so tge vita does 50hz pal or 60hz ntsc depending on the download version? Did not know that. Why not just have it did the better one independent of store?!?

I think it’s due to licensing in the regions.

So, if the game had a shitty PAL port on the PSOne there’s a chance you’ll get that same shitty port on the Vita, unfortunately.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Facewon wrote:
    Tell me you have Xi? (devils dice.)

I do indeed. Have a few other gems such as:-

Bishi Bashi Special, 
    Kurushi & Kurushi Final
    Vib Ribbon
    In The Hunt
    Power Diggerz
    Tempest X3
    R4 & Wipeout 2097 (x 2 + 2 consoles and linkup) Have two of those twisty Namco controllers too.
    Wipeout 3SE
    Puchi Carat (special edition with paddle controller)
    RType Delta
    Darius Gaiden (JP import)
    Xevious 3DG+ (ditto)

+ prob a few more that I can't remember right now.
  • Resi 7 arriving right on cue for Halloween.

Too tempting to just keep playing FFXII though.
  • Quick go on Resi 7 and woah, motion sickness. Quite often happens to me when I start a new first person game though, and usually stops once I adjust.

Like the look of the game anyway. Creepy shit.
  • Subbax
    Show networks
    Facebook
    andrew.henderson
    Twitter
    Subbax
    Xbox
    Subbax
    PSN
    SubAxe
    Steam
    Subbax

Send message
    Is the 1v1 in Golf Clash actually against another person or one of those ones where it's just the AI?
    It's a goddamn snoozefest out there.
  • Shadow of War has grown on me the last few play sessions. There is way, way too much going on during the game but I have taken more a streamlined approach to the game, focusing purely on the main missions and side challenges without worrying too much about the orc army aspect until later in the game. My main issue at the moment is the ridiculous amount of orcs in every area.

Also started Quantum Break yesterday and really enjoyed the opening moments. It looks excellent and the story has been enjoyable tosh so far. Gunplay is solid and the time control powers are great to use.

I then also played a small amount of The Turing Test. It is very portally which is no bad thing.
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • Current GOTY list. So short that 12 is better than 6 is defo on my worst of the year...
    1 Hollow Knight PC
    2 Destiny 2 Bone/PC
    3 Pyre PC
    4 Hob PC
    5 Echo PC
    Cryptark PC
    12 is better than 6 PC
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Subbax wrote:
    Is the 1v1 in Golf Clash actually against another person or one of those ones where it's just the AI?

Other people. I just beat someone that looked like Tom Selleck. Maybe it was actually him?
  • Is  it free to play?
    The Forum Herald™
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Depends how much you value your spare time. :D
  • Facewon wrote:
    Current GOTY list. So short that 12 is better than 6 is defo on my worst of the year...
    1 Hollow Knight PC
    2 Destiny 2 Bone/PC
    3 Pyre PC
    4 Hob PC
    5 Echo PC
    Cryptark PC
    12 is better than 6 PC

Cryptark may or may not go past echo, but I'll definitely point out that there's a big gap from it to 12. 12 basically broken. The rest on that list are varying degrees of outstanding to very good to good.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!