Currently Playing
  • Having a wonderful time playing co op with my four year old, and he is enjoying it too. Disneyland Adventure and Pixar Rush are two very simple games that have minimum gameplay, but the simplicity makes it perfect for kids. Lots to do and the visuals are excellent, both of mine love just wandering around Disneyland and finding the characters. But the king in our house at the moment is Sonic and SEGA Racing Transformed. Jensen adores it and is improving every time we play.

I played a few hours of Disneyland Adventures in co-op recently.  It's an odd game, especially without Kinect, but the wonkiness didn't impact on the fun - just hugging/high fiving Cinderella was entertaining enough for my daughter.  The river rapids and lighthun-minus-lightgun sections were the highlight for me, but she preferred the first Peter Pan stage.  Will probably get back to it soon, we haven't tried all the events yet.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    Thimbleweed Park. Oh my god, it's so boring! It feels like there's so little 'game' at the moment that I'm not sure if I can make myself go back. A few moments have raised a chuckle but mostly I just think 'I understand that reference' or wonder if that bit that seemed like a joke but wasn't funny was supposed to be a joke...

Anyway, I plan to give it one last session and if nothing doing then move on. Downloaded the demo for Yoku's Island and keen to try that.
  • I was really disappointed in Thimbleweed Park. It felt needlessly complicated, struggled to maintain it's coherence across all the characters and just didn't grab attention at all.

They should've done a better job of restricting what you can do with each character in each chapter. I spent a long time going through a bunch of stuff only to find I couldn't progress any further until two chapters later - which I didn't know until googling so spent ages just thinking I wasn't getting it.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    Good to know it's not just me as I'd seen largely positive reviews. I'm only a couple of hours in but needlessly complicated certainly rings true. I can't see me finishing it at this point but will persevere a while longer.
  • All the reviews I saw said it was a bit naff, you're obviously reading the wrong things.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    Apparently so. Think Eurogamer, Polygon & RPS were fairly positive and that’s about as much as I read in all honesty.
  • The Inpatient.

Fuck me. I might actually cry.
  • Prey (2017). It's a bit good this one.
  • Scout wrote:
    Prey (2017). It's a bit good this one.

Got this. Haven't got past the tutorial. despite getting futher than that in the demo.
    The Forum Herald™
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The two daughters wanted to play some games last night so we ended up with the Wii booted up playing these:-

Beat the Beat Rhythm Paradise. Superb 2 player modes - a riot. Had forgot how much fun this is.

Bomberman Blast WiiWare version. Feature rich and stoked with modes and options. Again - forgot how good this was - this rivals the mighty Saturn Bomberman. I'm guessing the Switch game is based on this.

Quiz Show King 2 Another WiiWare stalwart. It's a bit slicker than the original (though still dodgy) - this even had online back in the day which let you create your own questions and share online.  It's funny as ever - this was the first game I ever saw with Mii integration and it's still charming.

Dr Mario WiiWare version coded by hardcore puzzle kings Arika. Slick presentation and addictive as ever. This had a great online mode back in the day with plenty of people active :(
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK wrote:
    Beat the Beat Rhythm Paradise. Superb 2 player modes - a riot. Had forgot how much fun this is.

Playing the peas on forks minigame with my sister and her kids is one of my mp highlights of the last ten years.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Some of the endless co-op modes are a hoot too.  :)

The one where you have to keep up a ball between you and your partner is another highlight.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Only rhythm game I ever got on with is elite beat agents
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I have completed Book 1 of Ken Follett's The Pillars of the Earth. It is getting good. My own bishop wants me dead and there is a closing scene of him looking grimly into the fire reflecting in his eyes which is pure Hellfire.

• Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    There's an achievement for repeatedly stealing food and cutlery from the bishop called Friar Tuck that still has me giggling.
  • Been playing that dead brown game

• Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    How brown is it?
  • I have provided a video for assessment.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    Yoku's Island Express. Oh man, this is good! It's so full of charm and wonderful details, on top of solid mechanics and a fantastic sense of exploration. I can see this being one of those rare games where I'm going for the 100%.
  • Just no
    The Forum Herald™
  • Donut County - lightweight but wholly lovely
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I am thisclose to impulse buying that.
  • Crash Bandicoot 2

Was going ok until and incredibly long into the screen level
    The Forum Herald™
  • Bollockoff wrote:
    I am thisclose to impulse buying that.

If you think you'd like it then your probably will. The story is bobbins and there's no challenge but the central mechanic, graphics and music make for a soothing experience. So far I'd rate it Kata out of Katamari.
  • Yoku's Island Express. Done nearly a couple of hours and it's all a bit disappointing so far. The level design is basic and the pinball elements just aren't very interesting. No real craft or imagination as yet.
  • JonB wrote:
    Yoku's Island Express. Done nearly a couple of hours and it's all a bit disappointing so far. The level design is basic and the pinball elements just aren't very interesting. No real craft or imagination as yet.
    aha
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • The Messenger.  Fantastic game but the controls are threatening to get a bit fiddly now.  There's an unlockable downward slash that seems to have muddied the waters a bit, I think I'd prefer not to have it at this stage.
  • I’ve been playing a lot of For Honor recently. I got the free version and then the season pass on top so i have access to a bunch of characters and have unlocked some via the grind.

It’s a really startlingly unique take on the fighting game, that has a lot of flaws around balance. It highlights a lot of my problems with the genre too, in that most attacks fall within the 4-600ms window for reactions, and it can be very hard as a slowpoke to react well to incoming attacks. Coupled with the stamina system and the very low health pools of characters, it can be very hard to get even a foot in the door.

Unfamiliarity with the large list of characters, which is only set to increase, is difficult too. Even the worse characters tend to have something unique that’s hard to deal with, be it a delayed unblockable, a built in soft feint, or a hard to read grab.

Despite all that, I have really enjoyed the past 20 hours with it. I am starting to settle into some form of competence with a few characters, including the Shaman who is really good fun. She has the ability to apply bleed to her enemies, which damages them over time, and whilst they’re bleeding she can gain health back from successful attacks or perform a high risk leaping attack where she bites their throat out. Learning the ins and outs of her has been a lot of fun - the game has a formal system for cancelling into feints, as well as a soft feint system where some moves can be feinted by performing a specific move in its startup window. For the shaman that means soft feinting heavy attacks into a bleeding stab that can come from any of the three directions, or feinting into a grab, where you can safely perform the throat bite.

Overall, it’s a really smart and interesting game full of balance problems, and basic fighting game literacy issues for me as a player, coupled with atrocious reactions which means I am always susceptible to being guard broken.

The 4v4 modes can be a lot of fun though, especially the Gears of War style elimination mode, which is my favourite mode for 4v4, even if people are rarely honourable at the end. The heavy time and knowledge investment have made it a lot like Rainbow 6, but it’s also probably one of the best catered for online games of the generation. Constantly added to and refined over time, really robust servers, but full lots of nuances and details to learn, so played only by a niche and dedicated group.

It’s also an incredibly looking game - character models are stunningly rendered and animated, maps are a god damn visual feast and range from ruined castles at dawn, frosted viking settlements and rain-slick Japanese temples. The fact it was free to own for a period is ridiculous, and I can see myself getting the new Chinese warrior DLC. Massively underrated hit of a game.
  • I really rate For Honor.
  • Oh, thanx for that temps.
    Sounds like my type of game.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!