Currently Playing
  • Facewon wrote:
    Various Lego games. Am I a dumb ass or are there some drastically poor moments of signposting?

No. You're not alone.. sometimes it's very poor on what your supposed to do. I assume the kids that spend hours on it are just happy bumbling around until they hit on a solution.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Absolute Drift is killing me. Feels like Trails, but dropping you at the crazy tracks straight away. Handling is so tough to get sliding.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Is that the Zen thing?  What I played was fun, but I stopped playing because getting good seemed too far out of reach.
  • Yeah. Very clean look, I get down with driving games in that view generally, thought it'd scratch a trials itch. But I'm well shit.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Prey. Feck me the loading times are horrendous.
  • Ori and the Blind Forest. After a few months of not playing this I'm back in and wondering why I left this alone, it is just sublime and easily one of the finest games I have ever played. Everything is so beautifully done, every now and again it hits me hard like no other game has.

It would be useful for games like this to have a quick recap attached to your save so you can remember certain mechanisms you have unlocked as it did take me about an hour to rework out how you air dash.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Haven't touched Ori in quite a while.
    Was making progress but then got stuck in an area with endless spikes. Not sure how to get out of it either.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Avoid the spikes.
  • Facewon wrote:
    Absolute Drift is killing me. Feels like Trails, but dropping you at the crazy tracks straight away. Handling is so tough to get sliding.

Heh, this was another one I rinsed. One of those easy to pick up, tricky to master games. I found switching between manual and auto gearboxes helped with some tracks, I think I might have dumped the auto altogether. You can then hold it in second or third and get controlled drifts without the auto taking you in to fast. It's all about the angle you take into the curves/corners too, and respecting that multiplier, although the game does cheat you occasionally on what constitutes a drift. I thought it was good fun, although as per, the more difficult challenges were frustrating, the night tracks with no barriers especially so. Not sure what you mean about it being hard to get sliding, I thought it was harder to keep in a straight line! Handbrake I guess.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • In addition to Detroit I’ve got a few other bits on:

— Okami (Switch)

I finished the PS3 HD version in 2011/2012 (!) - seems perfect for the Switch in what little I’ve played so far - my only complaint is that the right stick camera control feels a bit slow, and the ‘click analogue’ stick to center isn’t ideal - not sure if you can alter the controls but I’ll look into it.

— Lumines (Switch)

This took up most of my flight both to and from Portugal last week - I hammered it on PSP so it felt weird to initially be so terrible at it then pleasantly surprising to get back into the groove of it. And also - Shinin’ is still the best song ever.

— Chrono Trigger (DS)

I put a few hours into this yesterday having bought it a few months ago and put it in a drawer - I remember getting quite a way through a ROM version of it in the late 90s. Holds up so well - beautiful art, great combat and a brilliant soundtrack. It’s also interesting hopping between the Switch and DS - The latter feels much more durable.

Played a bit of Dead Cells on the flight last week but not enough to have a real impression - my concern is that the whole restart thing won’t be compatible with me but I’ll put some more time into it at some point and see how it goes.
  • Eric wrote:
    Ori and the Blind Forest. After a few months of not playing this I'm back in and wondering why I left this alone, it is just sublime and easily one of the finest games I have ever played. Everything is so beautifully done, every now and again it hits me hard like no other game has. It would be useful for games like this to have a quick recap attached to your save so you can remember certain mechanisms you have unlocked as it did take me about an hour to rework out how you air dash.

Loving the Ori love.  

A 'previously on...' segment is something that would've helped me stick with few games over the years, Metroid on GC being the prime example.  Even just a text log of what you achieved in your last few sessions.  It takes me a long time to wade through bigger games as I don't tend to find them as addictive as the smaller ones, so often drift away for a bit before returning, only to discover that the recollection of what I'd been doing is vague.  I'm playing more at the mo, so it's not as much of a problem for me as it was a few years back, but I'm all for the recap thing.
  • Shame ori will never make it to the switch
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • There's an air dash in ori? What?
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    COD Blackout beta. Loads of fun. Not as tense and considered as PUBG but it's tons of fun and smooth as silk. I really like it.

Tempted to buy a Cod game for the first time in ages.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Yeah its a quality game. Not for me in the slightest but if you like your BRs its well worth it.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    It was really good. Not only is it smoother and better looking than PUBG, they've sorted the inventory stuff so it actually works well with a pad.

The armour stuff is odd, level three goons take a lot of hits and I'm shite at spotting who's wearing what, but the biggest bugbear for me is not knowing what the fuck each weapon does. They've all got daft names, there are a lot of them, and there's no indication of what class they are so I can't be sure what each one will do when I pull the trigger. The three burst thing is awful, I'd rather not pick that up again. I should probably get my head around it with a little more play time and a browse of the interwebs.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    You can just look at the ammo type but I get where you're coming from.

Played a few solo games earlier. I really like it. It's bloody addictive.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    How long’s the beta open for?
  • Presumably until five minutes before I've finished downloading it...
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Wolfenstein II, pass the pad with a mate while I watch the football.  Early days yet, but at this point it's crap.  Doesn't help that it crashed, then by the time we reloaded the update file I initially declined had downloaded, meaning that we had to start an entire chapter again.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Aye Wolfy 2 is terrible
  • Just been playing some Wolfenstein: The New Order today. Tried playing it a while ago but was really put off by the 60FPS cap (with drops and judders below that for some ungodly reason..). Got around to trying id5 Tweaker with it which can uncap the FPS amongst other things, massively improved gameplay experience now, still drops down every so often in busy scenes, but only to 80 or so. The rest of the time it holds up around 140, which is just lovely. Has caused at least one glitch so far, where an enemy clipped through a fountain, causing me to need to temporarily set it back to 60 to progress.

If only Bethesda's Elder Scrolls/Fallout could be made to work properly at higher frame rates...
  • hunk wrote:
    There's an air dash in ori? What?

Well the Y button when enemies are close type thing.
  • A few more 100s in my slow inexorable - but enjoyable - march towards 100% in Yoshi's Island - damn and blast those monkeys' eyes tho, skinning would be too good for those hairy Japanese bastards. 

Also Yakuza 0. Properly funny goofy (interspersed with some poignancy) side-stuff ended this morning. Very cool game; glad I took a punt on it having not got on with the 6 demo.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    100%-ing any of those monkey levels? I think that's where I gave up on the idea.....
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Eric wrote:
    There's an air dash in ori? What?
    Well the Y button when enemies are close type thing.

Ah, the ground pound.
    Thought I missed an ability.

Picked this up again after a 6 month hiatus.
    Making progress like crazy again. I think I might be nearing end game. I unlocked the wind and the only way is up?
    The dodging sequences are annoying me tho. I much prefer the exploration parts of the game. I also stumbled onto a dimly illuminated level with lots of blind jumps. Not sure if that's worth persevering.
  • I found that area too, but couldn't work out what I was doing. I was hoping that if I completed a certain area it may illuminate up. If not I'll be adjusting the brightness.
  • davyK wrote:
    100%-ing any of those monkey levels? I think that's where I gave up on the idea.....

Got 98 on another one just then. Will just leave it there.

Amaze game no question but I don't enjoy the character movement and stop-throw-thing happens-start again flow of its gameplay (plus I don't have the time-readies) enough to devote to it.
  • Eric wrote:
    I found that area too, but couldn't work out what I was doing. I was hoping that if I completed a certain area it may illuminate up. If not I'll be adjusting the brightness.

There's a light switch hidden in the level. Once illuminated you can use a map fragment to fill in your map. Huge area underneath which still needs exploring.
  • Actually really enjoying ori atm. After unlocking most abilities the game really opens up allowing you to explore at your leisure.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!