Currently Playing
  • Those were definitely the best 2.
  • I... I'm quite intrigued by MK, despite never having bought one.
  • I'll give you a fiver towards it if you lend it to me at some point in the future.
  • I downloaded the last one on Game Pass and found it completely impenetrable.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Yes but we're talking Tiger here the mandem who got his ass beat by Daigo
  • Poongko!

You were watching when I was all about to peace him out on stream and the mugged me off big time, weren't you DS?
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Yeah man was hype as fuck
  • I still cry about it. 

To be fair, I was getting lucky  by being an unpredictable scrub. But still...
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I downloaded the last one on Game Pass and found it completely impenetrable.
    That was me too. I'm not a fan of a fighting game with so few quarter circle rotations.
  • I should probably download that one to see if I can be doing with the mechanics. I've also thought the MK & Injustice games looked too stilted but the visceral smacks are starting to appeal more and more.
  • I'm enjoying MK11 but I wouldnt whole heartedly recommend it.
    It's got microtransaction bullshit coming out its ears.

It doesnt effect the story and I dont believe it effects vs. Its also all cosmetic, however cosmetic includes Fatalities (although each character starts with 1) and Brutalities.

It's always there though, every match a bunch of currencies and items. The tower system is totally built around it as well which provides the long term SP content.

Frost is also day one DLC and Shao Kahn a preorder bonus, although the codes for Khan are in the first shipment of copies, just look for the sticker on the box.

I think everything can he unlocked through play not pay but I cant say how long it takes as the game is currently firing currency at me like nobody's business, I strongly suspect this will slow down.

It is good, despite the bullshit though. Plays much the same as 10 but the X Ray combo moves are now limited to one per match and called "fatal blow". Instead of weighing them up vs powered up attacks you now get the opportunity to use Fatal Blow when lower than 30% health.
    It's a fun dynamic as a player on the ropes suddenly becomes more dangerous, meaning gung ho tactics to finish them off could lead to losing a massive chunk of health if they catch you out.
    Powered up attacks have a meter and are executed by pressing RB/R1 at a certain point in the move. For example press it as Scorpion is pulling his foe close and he will do an extra hard follow up hit leaving them stunned. Other moves require the button pressed in striking etc.

The new Krypt is excellent in it's presentation, really satisfying for long term fans. Again though almost every chest is a bunch of crafting shit amongst other, useful or interesting stuff.

Its Mortal Kombat at the end of the day. If you dont like it this wont change your mind.
    If you do or are curious and haven't played MKX just get the XL version of that, unless you absolutely want to play online as lobbies will be dead.

Also dont buy if you cant handle normal to large sized breasts on women or black rights.
  • What are you playing it on?
  • Stilted is a good word for Injustice and Mortal Kombat, from an outsider's pov. Killer Instinct on Bone, aka the forgotten exclusive, seemed a bit more fluid but I only played the demo.
  • Don’t do it, Tiger! Get an ArcSys game instead!
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I can't find my HRAP now!
  • A quick edit on my longer post.
    Frost is available for purchase with real money (£4.79) but can also be unlocked by playing a chapter in Story as sub zero.

Why anyone would pay a fiver is beyond me. It took me an hour or so to get to that chapter. Now just replaying it, will take another 10 minutes or so.
  • Dangerous Driving. I'm starting to enjoy this now and the Spotify integration is a lovely feature, not sure why it isn't implemented more often.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Having a grand old time playing through the XCOM2 expansion, War of the Chosen, which is less a basic content expansion and more of a comprehensive reworking of the whole game.

It adds a lot to your plate though, making the early months feel quite fraught in comparison until you start to hit your stride and take advantage of all the new mechanics. Some of the best stuff is simple, such as the way you can use individual factions to sped up intel gatherings, healing and building, sending troops on missions to secure assets, and applying special buffs each month.

The added special units are a mixed bag. The Templar is just insanely good on normal, a total melee tank that gets stronger the more kills it gets, especially useful as I rolled the Bladestorm ability which lets them get melee overwatch.

The Skirmisher is a sort of all rounder that with a few weapon mods and skills becalmed a great source of single target damage, whilst the Reaper is a stealthy mid range utility unit able to drop explosives and had a chance to stay concealed after each attack. What’s nice is that none of them are split skill trees, with them unlocking skills via ability points which you earn on level up and by pulling off things like flanks, attacks from above, and other random things.

The additional stuff for regular squaddies is great too, the bond mechanic where two soldiers soldiers who go on missions together form a bond is great and lets you gift an action per mission to their comrade. The secret great thing is their ability to share random skills with each other that can be purchased with ability points, meaning you can get some tasty things like Rangers with Serial - at least I think this is what is happening, it could just be random skill generation on level up. Either way it’s great.

Combat hasn’t been overhauled much but they have added the ability to see what your targets are at the end of a move so you can see if a flank is successful or not, and the ability to reliably farm PCS and weapon mods via the faction missions is great. To do so you need to send troops away as well so you never feel like you are secure, which is also reinforced by the fact that troops can get tired after missions and if you keep bringing them out they’ll get Darkest Dungeon style negative traits.

The final big change is the chosen themselves, three elite aliens that mirror the three factions - the Assassin, the Hunter and the Warlock. All of them stock to a specific region and have the ability to turn up and ruin your day during a mission. Luckily unlike the Alien Rulers from the base game DLC they aren’t insane and don’t get a move every action you take. They have set turns but they can do more than your regular grunts, summon enemies, use some pretty scary abilities, as well as having their own buffs and weaknesses. The assassin can disappear, stun grenade troops, and has powerful melee abilities. The Hunter is a ranged sniper with the ability to mark a unit who then. reds to bolt out of the cone of fire, and the Warlock is a powerful support psionic who can shut down half your team if you aren’t careful.

They have a lot of character and voice lines (similarly the faction leaders are great for this too, Riker, Troi, Q and Whorf provide voices) and they really spice up missions - knowing they can turn up means you need to tailor your squad to make sure you can make them retreat before they gain momentum, and as the game progresses they level up and increase their abilities whilst shoring up their weaknesses. Eventually you even get to hunt them down and on killing them you snag their weapons which are brilliant unique upgrades that it’s worth giving your top troops.

All in all it’s a comprehensive update and has a lot of character, which sort of tempers the stress of the game firing a billion things at you every two minutes. There are even a few new enemy types that riff on previous enemies, but they feel slightly fairer and better tuned than some of the elite enemies in the base expansion - the nanomachine Spectres are a choice example, assassins that can knock out and clone one of your troops, but are fairly fragile in close quarters.

I’m nearly done with it, especially as i’ve found my footing and taken out two of the chosen. Should probably have waited and posted it as a Just Completed, but there we go.
  • Yes. Turns the game into a much more comprehensive package. There's also the lost zombie things of course, although they're a bit of a non-event in the end.

It's a shame it ran so poorly on the PS4 though. I'd like to try it again on Ironman, but it's far too unreliable.
  • Oh yeah, the lost! They’re ok, I like it when a sitrep (oh, another new thing!) says they’re in a “very difficult” mission, because it means it’s actually “very easy”

Shame about the running stuff, yep, it really was an ambitious game to get running on the PS4 I think, there’s a lot going on under the hood and it looks quite nice. After 7 hours on it yesterday my PC was wheezing.
  • Doesn’t run that great on PC either
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • LivDiv wrote:
    I'm enjoying MK11 but I wouldnt whole heartedly recommend it...

That's a good write up, and reflects my thoughts pretty closely.  

I guess the silver lining to the egregious microtransaction systems, it seems, they're pulling it back a bit after the backlash.  

Really annoying that they've gone down that road; apart from that stuff I appreciate the effort Netherrealm put into the single player side of their games.  Story mode seems great so far too, hitting some really entertaining notes early on.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • Silke
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Silke Neryn
    PSN
    Silke_Neryn
    Steam
    Silke Neryn

Send message
    Well, not really playing yet but I've waited seven years and now it's just hours left.

It's a world of truck drivers.
  • MgsV
    Jesus, that intro. No idea wtf is going on except that I probably should play ground zeroes first.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Nah you're fine.

(as in, plot. A great wee taste though)
  • I loved ground zeroes, the intro to that is awesome Duhhh Duh-Duh-Duh
    Gamertag, PSN, NNID: mikemsp            3DS code: 3668 - 8117 - 9395

Currently playing: Bone
  • hunk wrote:
    MgsV
    Jesus, that intro. No idea wtf is going on except that I probably should play ground zeroes first.

Some people die in a helicopter crash, that’s about all you need to know really.
  • At some point when I'm not full of excellent beef stew and average wine I will explain to you all the insane complexities that are the Mortal Kombat 11 currency and unlock systems.

It is so complex I think they have actually fucked up their own gouging microtransactions systems.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!