Currently Playing
  • Sounds like it's a Platinum game.
  • LtPidgeon wrote:
    Modern Warfare (2019) Campaign. It's excellent.
    You know, I might just start that tonight. I just jumped into MP and never touched the campaign.

Did you? I love it. Looks incredible, quite varied gameplay. Think i am nearing the end now. It does what it says in the tin really, it is modern warfare, complicated, horrific.
  • Outer Wilds.

I’ve been to the moon and basically looked around my own world. I love it so far but I’m worried it’s gonna get too complicated and I’m gonna miss too many clues on what to do and when. For now though it feels glorious.
  • Djornson wrote:
    Did you? I love it. Looks incredible, quite varied gameplay. Think i am nearing the end now. It does what it says in the tin really, it is modern warfare, complicated, horrific.

Not yet, I haven't been playing much recently. Maybe this weekend.
    PSN: LtPidgeon - Live: Lt Pidgeon
  • Outer Wilds.

I’ve been to the moon and basically looked around my own world. I love it so far but I’m worried it’s gonna get too complicated and I’m gonna miss too many clues on what to do and when. For now though it feels glorious.

Outer Wilds has, in my opinion, one of the very best systems for keeping track of the clues you’ve found. While the text you find in the environment is often personal messages, referring to individuals, the ship’s log keeps a summary not of the exact text, but of what it all means, and how it slots into what you’ve already discovered. It also explicitly tells you if there is more information to be found at a certain location.
  • Even with all that, I found the game very difficult to get through. The main reason for me was that I would finally make it somewhere but didn't quite obtain all I needed to know out of the place, I knew there was more there, but fell victim to environmental hazards there over and over or just ran out of time/fuel/oxygen. Certain areas can sap your will after a time.

Despite all that I carried on, and boy am I glad I did. A wondrous experience. You must carry on!!!
  • I refuse to carry on in the basis it is no longer fun
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • Andy wrote:
    Outer Wilds. I’ve been to the moon and basically looked around my own world. I love it so far but I’m worried it’s gonna get too complicated and I’m gonna miss too many clues on what to do and when. For now though it feels glorious.
    Outer Wilds has, in my opinion, one of the very best systems for keeping track of the clues you’ve found. While the text you find in the environment is often personal messages, referring to individuals, the ship’s log keeps a summary not of the exact text, but of what it all means, and how it slots into what you’ve already discovered. It also explicitly tells you if there is more information to be found at a certain location.

You might like to watch Danny O'dwyer's video on the making of the game, it's quite fun. Apparently the clue system only had the planet element until quite close before launch. Super BunnyHop did a fun video on it too, cos as a game it's one of the few non-space sim games that attempts to model physics in a realistic way: e.g. cos everything is on a sphere, if you jump you are actually jumping in a similar way to how we jump in real life. Also gravity is in effect at all times, if you leave your ship idle at the edge of the galaxy, over time you will move closer to the sun. It's sort of fascinating, you can tell the devs really cared about this shit.

No huge spoilers in this video.

HUGE spoilers in this video

The game is such a weird thing. Flies in the face of convention on so many levels. It's interesting seeing people click/bounce of it, especially with the controls, cos I guess they're not expecting this simple looking game to be containing an incredibly accurate model of our universe's physics within it.
  • Need to watch that Bunnyhop one. Some guy.
  • Darksiders 2

Really enjoyed the first one and while I had a bash at the PS3 sequel I'm pretty sure It got eclipsed by PS4 ownership. Anyway it looks lovely on switch. The Fantasy Cartoon graphics look lovely blown up on the big screen and it's the same chunky mix of Zelda-esq dungeons and God of War combat (although it fits Death as character a little less well than War IMO).

Anyway already got past where I left off and I'm in the middle of the first dungeon. There's already quite a lot going on with XP, upgrades,  upgradeable weapons, currency and collectables.. but still.. I'm enjoying it's old school pleasures.
    The Forum Herald™
  • @bob check the ds2 thread for me waxing lyrical about possessed weapons. So awesome.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Facewon wrote:
    @bob check the ds2 thread for me waxing lyrical about possessed weapons. So awesome.

Oh will do
    The Forum Herald™
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    One Finger Death Punch 2. So simple but so much fun. Ploughed through the first couple of maps already, lots of great new power ups but otherwise pretty much more of the same which is fine by me.
  • Arrrrrgh! Haven't bought it yet as I'm still waiting for the EU eshop release. Tried multiple times tweeting the devs to no avail. Might just Xbox it in the meantime.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    Yeah, that's what I did. Might double dip still.
  • Link's Awakening 

Happy with it on the whole.  The dungeons are particularly enjoyable so far.  Just about to use the nightmare key on the boss door in the Angler's tunnel.  It's a bit choppy though, been playing mostly in handheld mode since the opening sections and it's ramped up the judder of late.  It looks lush but - to my layman's eye - not good enough to cause a first partly game to creak under the weight of the visuals.  Doubt I'll get it finished before Ori arrives so it'll placed on hold imminently, but I'll definitely finish it.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Outer Wilds - had an opening sesh but not really feeling it. As I think others have said, the perspective flying is a bit weird, and the jump on release thing is doing my head in. Don't I'm gonna give it much more love, at least in the short term

Yoku - I'm finding this a fairly pleasant experience. Yes it's meandering, and there are paths that may or may not be worth taking, and the "story" is guff and the pinballing not great, but there's enough between it all to keep me content

... But then ofc Ori arrives overnight, and that will trump all.
  • Oops I haven't posted your game yet.  Today.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    Yoku - I'm finding this a fairly pleasant experience. Yes it's meandering, and there are paths that may or may not be worth taking, and the "story" is guff and the pinballing not great, but there's enough between it all to keep me content ... But then ofc Ori arrives overnight, and that will trump all.

The trouble is you spend currency on the paths not worth taking.. i found the whole thing including the pinballing very frustrating.
    The Forum Herald™
  • I enjoyed the pinball aspect, thought it made for an enjoyably laid back experience if you're at peace with the hit & hope element the genre can bring.  The layout and progression were secondary to the screen to screen action.  It's not a great Metroidvania in terms of design by any means, but (pinching Muzzy's words) the meandering was pleasant.  Really enjoyed pinging the little guy around, but it's fairly easy to criticise.
  • I don't think it does enough with the pinball element to get away with the laborious structure. It's all just a bit flat and underdone.

Me, I've switched between intensely playing Nioh 2 last week and Murder by Numbers before and after. They're pretty much exact opposites on the gameplay spectrum.

More on Nioh 2 later (the review embargo lifts tonight). MbN is Phoenix Wright style visual novel + picross, and while it's not doing anything really special, the characters are fun and the ultra laid back vibe is pleasing. Picross with cheesy muzak is a winning combo.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    Outer Wilds - had an opening sesh but not really feeling it. As I think others have said, the perspective flying is a bit weird, and the jump on release thing is doing my head in. Don't I'm gonna give it much more love, at least in the short term

Yoku - I'm finding this a fairly pleasant experience. Yes it's meandering, and there are paths that may or may not be worth taking, and the "story" is guff and the pinballing not great, but there's enough between it all to keep me content

... But then ofc Ori arrives overnight, and that will trump all.

The jump on release is something you should never have to use again once your put your suit on. And you will have your suit on from the moment you get on your ship. It's a non issue. I'm amazed so many took issue with it.
  • Unravel again. God it makes me want to spend more time with my kids. I spend a lot of time with them but it makes me want to spend every waking second with them. And then they wake up crying and i change my mind.
  • Started the first Ori game due to the sequel coming out. Overall I like it a lot, only issue for me is the manually creating checkpoint aspect which has caught me out more than a few times. I guess I've gotten used to auto-checkpoint systems where if I die I only get reset a little, rather than this which is acting like a proper save system. So I have to keep reminding myself to save before a tricky looking section!
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • It's a really smart system once you get used to it. Although if you upgrade enough it becomes too generous towards the end.
  • Cosby wrote:
    Yeah, that's what I did. Might double dip still.

Hah, ended up downloading it at 1am last night as I was still wide awake. Didn't sleep til after 4am lololol

What a bloody game.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    The Norwood Suite.

It's a really weird hotel. 
    With some weird guests. 
    It has a solid soundtrack. 
    I'm liking it.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    JonB wrote:
    It's a really smart system once you get used to it. Although if you upgrade enough it becomes too generous towards the end.
    You can save in bad places on low health though iirc. Which can be bad news...
  • <wrong thread>
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • What a bloody game.

Adding a quick video to show it off in case anyone's interested.

You just feel like a god. Lost count already the amount of times I've nailed the final rush of bad guys ending a level having me burst out into laughter, kinda like how you do when the release of tension into happiness on a roller-coaster happens. It's just too much fun.

Two buttons. All the bad guys. £7.49.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!