Currently Playing
  • @Moot sorry it didn’t work out for you on Vita. It’s not an easy game at the best of times, it’s very demanding a bit like Trials in that you need to be throwing those inputs exactly when they are expected, and any messing up of commands will see you floundering. Haven’t touched a Vita in years but I suppose the stick is probably ill suited as you say. Maybe one day it’ll come out on another platform.

I’ve been grinding away at Hard on Wonderul 101 after finishing normal a few nights ago. Fuck me, it’s a brutal game. Absolutely love it though. Some the Alfheim equivalents in this game are absolute pad breakers - one of them last night took me 2 hours of concentrated effort to beat, but I managed it. Should probably file a report in the Just Completed thread, but it’s such a great game, Kamiya really is a special director and his team at Platinum seem 100% behind him. It’s utterly chock full of references to other games too - some of them are blink and you’ll miss it like the nods to Revengeance and Bayonetta, but others are far more obvious - it gets away with an extended nod and wink at Punch Out that works really well.

One thing that I imagine will put some folks off is how obtuse it can feel in the combat department. Nearly every enemy has a few tricks and weaknesses that the game just flat out refuses to tell you - it’s all about experimentation and working out how your Unite Morphs can prevail against certain foes, but also how their size and shapes can cause issues in certain circumstances The drawing also works really well, with only a handful of instances where it gets muddled, but cancelling and redrawing is usually fine - adaptation is good too.

If there’s one thing that a ton of games could learn from Kamiya then it’s his eye for spectacle and escalation, and his willingness to undercut himself with humour. It’s all clearly routed in his love of Super Sentai style shows, but some of the fights in this game build tempo ins ridiculous manner, aided by a few really choice tunes - there’s a song that plays called Tables Turn, when you start to get the upper hand in a boss fight and it does more for pulling you into the moment then any amount of AAA graphics whizz can ever manage. It’s also cute and instantly obvious that the QTES all map onto your previous experience with drawing the combat shapes making them easy to pull off and satisfying to boot. Definitely an all-time with a totally out there combat system that’s like nothing else (except maybe a dash of Okami - even then it’s not a one to one map) which further cemented Kamita and Platinum’s A team as leagues ahead of pretty much any studio that’s doing character action stuff. It’s a slim field, but I guess that makes sense, because why try and imitate the studio that consistently hit it out of the park every time they make one?
  • Tempy wrote:
    @Moot sorry it didn’t work out for you on Vita. It’s not an easy game at the best of times, it’s very demanding a bit like Trials in that you need to be throwing those inputs exactly when they are expected, and any messing up of commands will see you floundering. Haven’t touched a Vita in years but I suppose the stick is probably ill suited as you say. Maybe one day it’ll come out on another platform.

Been thinking about it since so tried to grab it on Bone, only to discover it's a previous gen game (also not a BC offering). I assumed the Vita version was coss-play with PS4, but it's only on PS3. Didn't realise it had been around that long, doesn't look it. Shame.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Tables Turn sounds like the street fighter 2 song.
  • I've lost some of my mojo, can't seem to settle on anything at the moment.  Probably because I've got so much down time at the moment, I'm a bit worn out with games.  I have to get to work roughly three hours before any work arrives (via taxi from Canary Wharf) just so my department can give the semblance of an impression of being busy. 

Toki Tori isn't usually my sort of thing, but I've finished the first world and it's very well designed.  Problem is I'm up for this sort of thing in theory, but pondering over solutions to intricate puzzles brings out my lack of patience and tends to have me itching for arcade thrills after half an hour or so.

So I played Not a Hero for a bit afterwards, which is one of my favourite games this gen (I played on PS4) and has the best cover system in any 2D shooter imo.  Simple and rewarding, plus it's pretty mean in places with its complete lack of checkpoints and I love it.  Was £2ish when I grabbed it on Switch, bargainous.
  • MO:Astray.

Odd 2d side scroller/puzzler. I did my usual and not read up much, so I'm only going on early days, so can't tell you story. It's SF. It's alien planet I think. Humans being infected and turned to zombies/monsters. You are a blue blob with someone talking to you.

Its odd. And as mentioned elsewhere, reminds me of some other recent odd 2d things. Dandara and rainworld. Graphics better than both of those and control much tighter than rainworld.

Music and aesthetic is totally my jam. Puzzles are clever and checkpoints are everywhere.

The way it's telling the story so far is very promising.

Very well done. Bar a couple of sign posting missteps.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Brilliant. Now that something else I’ve gone and bought just because it looks great. I can’t help it.
  • Booted up Dying Light again (in between re-watching the first series of The Walking Dead, for the feels) and after the ropey start, enjoying it once more. One of the few games to get breakable weapons right and I like the scavenging system too. Apparently I logged 38hrs during my first playthrough when it was released over 5 years ago, but never saw the end credits.  I do hope the sequel emerges from development hell sometime soon.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Nine Parchments.

Nearly at the end of this in local co-op. Brilliant.
    Needs some real planning and you need patience because friendly fire is a massive possibility. As is regening health on a big enemy. Feels like there was gonna be a bit more psot release support that didn't end up happening in spots, but it let's you customise heaps Anyhoo, even if ui sucks pretty bad.

Thoroughly recommended for anyone with an itch to co-op a diablo-lite clone, but wanting something fresher.

Many lols have been had. And when you nail teamwork or crossing Beams it's awesome.

4 player would be mental.
    Facewon wrote:
    We can do small visits at the moment so actually played some local co-op today.

Have mentioned this before, but nine parchments is a bit of a diamond in the rough. Really really pretty. Action/wizard Iso view thing. Up to 4 player co-op. 2 player is crazy enough.

Its USP is that all the different damage and shield types, including health regen work on both allies and enemies. Purple enemies shoot death, and take damage from green health spells. Same element means enemies are completely immune.

Any beam spells can be combined by shooting across each other.

There's numerous deaths, things can go wrong very very quickly, but you can also hammer things quickly if you get things right.

Brilliant stuff.

• I started Control last night and played up to the first boss encounter. Remedy are one of those developers that I don't rush to buy their games, but when I do I really enjoy them (Alan Wake and Quantum Break especially). They're really good at building a game around a combat loop.

The story side of this looks like it has more promise than Alan Wake and Quantum Break - which were, for me, passable but also a little weak.

Looks cracking on PS4 Pro too, although I'd imagine the PC version with RTX on is eye-popping.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    The Outer Worlds. Played it at launch, didn’t get far and it just didn’t grab me, looking for something different to play on Gamepass and I think I’m hooked. It really is the game Fallout 4 should have been. Forget that base building crap and let me do quests, level up with perks and shoot stuff. Another game to finish then before Control.
  • I started playing Anthem tonight and it's really just very great at being decidedly average isn't it.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • So it’s... good?
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Syph79 wrote:
    I started Control last night and played up to the first boss encounter. Remedy are one of those developers that I don't rush to buy their games, but when I do I really enjoy them (Alan Wake and Quantum Break especially). They're really good at building a game around a combat loop. The story side of this looks like it has more promise than Alan Wake and Quantum Break - which were, for me, passable but also a little weak. Looks cracking on PS4 Pro too, although I'd imagine the PC version with RTX on is eye-popping.

Recently started this too - my first Remedy game.  Really need to try more of their stuff; I'm liking this too.

Love the setting, not sure I've seen anything quite like it in a game before.  I'm terrible at 3D shooting games so I die alot but the more abilities that open up, the more I'm enjoying it and the less I'm dying.  

Playing on PC and can JUST get it to run at 60fps on low graphics settings.  I periodically switch to high settings to see what it would look like on a decent computer lol.  Really good stuff.

Also enjoying Persona 5 Royal on PS4 after a very tedious first few hours.  These games have such an enjoyable routine to them once they get moving.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • I have regular Persona 4 on the PsS4, I gave up at the first dungeon because the tedium of getting there was high. Worth it, should I fire in again?
  • Tempy wrote:
    I have regular Persona 4 on the PsS4, I gave up at the first dungeon because the tedium of getting there was high. Worth it, should I fire in again?

Did I miss something? Vanilla P4 on PS4?
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    So it’s... good?

I'm enjoying it, but I think it tried to play it was going to be this huge deal, and it kind of isn't. It's very destiny with worse gun play. The flying is awesome and fun. And it's a spectacle, but a total victim of hype and seemingly plagued technically.
    I rented it, so I'm gonna stick with it.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Tempy wrote:
    I have regular Persona 4 on the PsS4, I gave up at the first dungeon because the tedium of getting there was high. Worth it, should I fire in again?

Did I miss something? Vanilla P4 on PS4?

I meant P5, iPhone typing errors a plenty this morning
  • Ah. I mean PS5 is good but I don’t rate it as strongly as Golden. I’d argue it’s still worth a pop, though.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I heard P4 on PS4 and ran here as fast as I...

..oh.

Tempy'd again.

P5's dungeons get better from my experience.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Got bored a bit at the bank and now wonder if I can go back. Too much water under the bridge.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    I should really start P3. Might be ready for that after Before the Storm.
  • MO: Astray. As per thread now. It's great. As many spikes etc as Ori, and the double jump works like the hooks in Ori, but doesn't freeze time, but completely different structure. Completely linear, with each screen a puzzle, and checkpoints out the wazoo. There's been a couple that have had cheap final bits (ie, Oh I made it, and suddenly it turns to getting over it) but they're minor so far, and there's been some good head scratchers. 

AC Odyssey. Nice and big and pleasant.

Cities: Same as above, mostly. Had to do a mod audit to sort some performance problems, and back on track. Have a city at nearly 100k, and we're really fine tuning it now. Move it Mod is so best.

Slay The Spire. Slowly getting the new char up to high ascensions. Just monstered Ac6 with a snecko, deva, retain deck. (Establishment to the rescue.)

Nine Parchments: Final couple of bosses. Chimera up first. It's a mofo, and many failures, but great great co-op game.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Fair play to @moot_geeza, Splasher has been great so far...
  • It gets better as it goes along, so this bodes well.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I'm trying to collect the dudes rather than speeding through. Is that a mistake? Collecting seems to unlock stuff, while speed doesn't??
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Missed one dude cos he kinda died... Which then meet the bonus at the end was impossible too. Lesson learned.
  • You need about half of the dudes to get into the final door. Can't remember the number but you can see it early on. Otherwise they're optional.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Yeah discovered per-level speedrun thing bus the shoulder buttons. Got a good with 0.19s to spare, phewf.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Ooh just got the second power-up, and yes fun times

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!