State of Decay
  • Webbins wrote:
    I've only done the first hour; tutorial intro, set up first base, survey point, scavenge mission, didn't seem buggy to me.  Polish is not triple A, but coming off the back of a recent playthrough of the ported original it's a definite step up in quality.  It's probably very much a retread of the original with a few new ideas thrown in but I'm enjoying it so far, didn't want to stop.
    hmmmm... tempting.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • That's not to say I won't encounter any over the course of the game, but the original had it's fair share of glitches, none of which were game breaking.  This at least looks a shit tonne better.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-one/state-of-decay-2

68 on metacritic.
    User meta 5.5

based on the time I’ve spent with it so far, about 10 hours or so, it feels like that intention has been clouded by antiquated ideas about what keeps players invested in a videogame. This is less an undead apocalypse, and more a town of timers, clocks and, unfortunately, bugs.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/05/17/state-of-decay-2-review-in-progress/

(and if your wondering why the interest from me its becouse a mate rang me up asking if a game can make his xslim overheat, i didn't know so i looked it up and seems theres been a number of complaints of this.)

Id leave it a while g till bugs are ironed out properly, looks fun when it works.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Didn't make it on last night but I'd be more inclined to take the opinion of the people that have played it on the forum than some website. Especially seeing as you've been playing co-op games with them for years.
  • It did make the old vapour chamber rev up I noticed. I imagine it's been poorly optimised and the Boner X is brute forcing the performance.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • I’ll have a go of this with some forumites at some point but solo it’s very very dull
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Did you play the original?
  • nope
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Wow, what is with the controls? Why would they not just go with tried and tested one stick cam one movement?! Might have lost me already with it.

Fixed it, had some weird issue where both sticks did EVERYTHING in terms of movement and camera. Weird.
  • Not sure what you mean, the camera seemed fine, standard. At least the option is there to remap every button, should be a given with every game. I was tempted to remap run to the left stick click but as it's a hold to run I defaulted back.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Webbins wrote:
    Not sure what you mean, the camera seemed fine, standard. At least the option is there to remap every button, should be a given with every game. I was tempted to remap run to the left stick click but as it's a hold to run I defaulted back.

It is.

https://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/accessories/customize-standard-controller-with-accessories-app
  • I know that, that's system level. It should be remappable (?) at game level. Remapping at system level affects all games.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Run on a paddle be any good?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Webbins wrote:
    I know that, that's system level. It should be remappable (?) at game level. Remapping at system level affects all games.
    Fair play. I kinda thought that might have been what you meant after posting.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Late night on this then, I'm shattered.

Need meds but there's 2 of my community with quests. Plus the gun shop I've noticed. But I really need meds. A aaargh.

I like it.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Bug report anyone? Some zombies spawned right in front of me once, but that was because we were testing how far away we can get from the host before the tethering kicked in and they spawned in to mark Franny's return. We didn't reach the limit so it must be quite big. I almost got stuck behind a fence while climbing down some rocks, but I got free. Later on I saw there's an option in the radio menu to get you unstuck, might come in handy if you're like me and like a bit of off road hiking/rock scrambling.

And that's about it. It's rough around the edges no doubt, but a million miles from the unmitigated disaster illiterate fanboys want you to believe, nor is it the [10] that the counter illiterate fanboys are suggesting. It's very much in the mould of the last game, a proper take on the zombie survival thing, if you had fun there you'll have fun here. It's very familiar actually, the only additions being the blood plague mechanic and glorious MP, which was a good laugh with three of us capering about last night and something I pined for in the original.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    A game trying something a bit ambitious and different is always going to be a bit janky. See Fallout 3, Skyrim etc. I'd plump for more of this kind of stuff than more run of the mill 3rd person games any day of the week.

Looks nicer than I was expecting. The loop has me in it's clutches now though, and I just want to be cracking on with it right now. 

Not sure about the door slam thing. I could seem to do it when driving, and when we had an AI character in the car they were doing it. When I was a passenger it didn't want to do it at all. Bug maybe?

I did a lol when a zombie was clinging onto the side of the car so I just drove close to a lamp post and splatted it off.

The main bug I found was doors looking open but I couldn't go through until I opened them again.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    I almost got stuck behind a fence while climbing down some rocks, but I got free.

There's an option in the menus to free yourself from getting stuck. Almost like they know it'll happen :)
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I see you didn't bother reading all of my post. Typical Franny.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    It's early, screw you hippy.
  • The best addition is the option in the menus to reset yourself if you become stuck. It's like they expect you to become stuck lol. Not needed to use it yet. Not had any bugs yet.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    That is a good option. Thanks for enlightening us Wibbles.
  • What do you do if you get stuck on the scenery, cos I spend half my life stuck on scenery?
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    partridgeshrug.gif
  • Definitely more peril to this over the first.  Stamina is really affected by tiredness, nearly got caught out earlier but managed to limp home with zeds hot on my tail.  Resources still seem plentiful, less vehicles though, and the community is a little more taxing to keep chilled.  Could really do with a better base but the opportunity to relocate as in the first game has not presented itself yet.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Aye really enjoying it. Always something to do, something you need. Easy to get caught out by the zombies that initially seem too easy to deal with. I live the gameplay loop though.

Some graphical bugs, the torch shadows are doing my head in. Npcs standing blocking doorways is frustrating too. They need to make you able to push past.
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Love the no nonsense co-op in this. Fits it perfectly, and means people can't fuck up your progress by nicking your stuff etc. I'd even be inclined to play with randoms, SHOCK HORROR.

Gonna crack on in my community later, get some upgrades done as I haven't looked at that yet.

Xbox might not have a billion exclusives, but it's sure getting the interesting ones.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I need to provide water to my settlement. Are there a few ways to do this or only by using a water outpost?
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    Not sure yet, I keep joining others and neglecting my own base!
  • I've not found water a problem yet and I've not found it as a resource so thought it was a given. There's hydroponics to build but I think this relates to your garden. I think the watchtowers must be bugged as I've built one but no frigger uses it. First game wasn't an issue.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!