Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    Actually Daniel Ahmad (@zhugex on twitter) who is a games market analyst (mostly for China and south Asia ) who is a good interesting chap to follow on the old twits mentioned that Microsoft have actually made big cuts in their Xbox division, which is partly why there's been a lack of real first party games.

I think it goes further back than that - they refused to commission a single-player Fable due to a move to games as a service right at the start/before the Xbox One life cycle.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    That still smarts.
    Get schwifty.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    Whereas Destiny is now pretty much the biggest franchise in gaming.

SFIV counts too, how many new characters and outfits did they flog after the game came out? That's GaaS right there.

Surely FIFA and still COD and GTAV are bigger? I have NO CLUE if that's true but if Destiny is the biggest thing in gaming that's wild. GTAV I'd say is basically a service now.
    I guess Warcraft too?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Raiziel wrote:
    That still smarts.

Seriously. Granted the end of 3 is PISH but 2 is a top one from last gen
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    Whereas Destiny is now pretty much the biggest franchise in gaming.

SFIV counts too, how many new characters and outfits did they flog after the game came out? That's GaaS right there.

Surely FIFA and still COD and GTAV are bigger? I have NO CLUE if that's true but if Destiny is the biggest thing in gaming that's wild. GTAV I'd say is basically a service now.
    I guess Warcraft too?

Warcraft certainly and GTAV. Presumably even something like Overwatch.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    So does that mean destiny is pretty much not the biggest franchise in gaming ;)
  • Yossarian wrote:
    I don't think I read it...

Okay
    Right guys, I've fucking held back from going into this with both barrels cocked, loaded, and with my finger on the trigger, but its gotta be done, I'm sick of this shit. 

The PS4 may well have the cuntpad, the cunt OS, the cunt wifi, but you know what that breeds? It breeds us, the cunt gamer. Living with so much cunt day in, day out, it turns you into the deepest, darkest cunt of death. You become a cunt so rotten, so diseased that even Saville would think twice about fucking it. But to become this cunt, you transcend mere cunthood. You become King Cunt. A cunt for the ages. The cunt that all other cunts look up to, that all other cunts believe in on the 25th December when they put their stockings up by the open fire and we just piss pure cunt into them, and come the morning, those ordinary everyday cunts fucking bathe in our piss cunt juice. They don't understand our secret, that to become King Cunt you need the Sir Cunt of all consoles, the PScunting4. 

Without that you can swim in a fucking river of piss cunt but you'll never be a true, red-blooded King Cunt. We get to play Bloodborne with its cunted framerate and its cunted loading times. We live the cunt life day to day, one eye on the broken cunt wifi, one eye on the streets. We got targets on our back because everyone wants to be King Cunt, even the Bone users as they cry their lowly cunt tears as they boot up Sunny D Overdrive and realise that something so bright and chaotic will never give them a throne on King Cunt Mountain. They're cunts that are lacking, they're cunts that Rolf Harris would fuck without a second thought. They're bang average cunts. 

Also I received this anonymous PM from someone revealing what these ordinary, average cunts do day to day: 
    jgYgRYY.png

G1QEpPH.png 

I changed the names because I respect my sources, but you can clearly see the two biggest Bone fanboys have a lob on for Sony, they wanna be King Cunt so bad but we look down on their average cuntishness, they just don't have it about them. Turning into sado-masochists in the hope that Yoshida will welcome them into the fold. They've lost the fucking plot, lads. Desperation seeps from ever pore. 

tl;dr, PS4 is King Cunt 4eva

This is marvellous :D
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'll get off my bullshit now
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    OUT OF THE FUCKING WAY KESTLA
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'm back on my bullshit.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    So does that mean destiny is pretty much not the biggest franchise in gaming ;)

Perhaps, I don't think that Activision have been releasing sales figures, but I suspect that it's in the top 5 at least.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    But yes, I don't think that Games as a Service are inherently bad, and they're pretty common these days too, most games will try to find some future monetisation options to try and offset the increased costs of development.

There are new risks, of course, but when done well, they can be great.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Yes, but where are the first-party games as a service driving Xbox One purchase intent?
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    But yes, I don't think that Games as a Service are inherently bad, and they're pretty common these days too, most games will try to find some future monetisation options to try and offset the increased costs of development.

There are new risks, of course, but when done well, they can be great.

Warcraft and Diablo stand as prime examples. I'd reckon there may be some bigger ones than those mentioned, DOTA and CSGO probably edge destiny off the top 5. Nothing wrong with them when done properly, just don't release an unfinished game and call it a service.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Destiny was always going down the GaaS route, it wasn't a last minute change of approach.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    But it was also unfinished.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    EvilRedEye wrote:
    Yes, but where are the first-party games as a service driving Xbox One purchase intent?

I'm not sure I understand the question.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Hmmmmmm I think he's saying if Xbox as a company are about the GaaS then why aren't there any First Party ones.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Although I'm not sure that hits the point of GaaS.
  • SF4 was in a damn arcade. It's not a service...
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    Hmmmmmm I think he's saying if Xbox as a company are about the GaaS then why aren't there any First Party ones.

The Forza games are GaaS with all of their car packs. Halo was too through loot pack sales.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    SF4 was in a damn arcade. It's not a service...

I agree.
    Yossarian wrote:
    regmcfly wrote:

The Forza games are GaaS with all of their car packs. Halo was too through loot pack sales.

I agree.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message

Arcade games are the original games as a service.

But more seriously, games which keep offering new content over the course of their lives (beyond a couple of DLC packs) in exchange for money are by many definitions, Games as a Service.

How many add-on packs were released for the base SFIV, including both new characters and new outfits?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I'm sitting in front of my Bone at home and I count over 50 add-ons. Were they all free or something?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:

Arcade games are the original games as a service.

But more seriously, games which keep offering new content over the course of their lives (beyond a couple of DLC packs) in exchange for money are by many definitions, Games as a Service.

How many add-on packs were released for the base SFIV, including both new characters and new outfits?

My interpretation of GaaS is stemmed I guess in my years of playing Warcraft, or my time with Q3A - early 00s pc where I think that's the case. I don't see a few costume packs as a service. And I don't think a season pass makes a game a service.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I suppose it's how you define it to an extent. I'd agree that a season pass for a couple of pieces of DLC doesn't count, but costume packs are exactly how Team Fortress makes its money, surely that does?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Yes, but sfiv comparatively had far less. What about sfv where you can (theoretically lol) earn the costumes without paying? Is that not just grinding?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!