Cricket Thread - Crickets (Tests, ODI, T20)
  • Never in doubt!
    Spoiler:
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Took about ten attempts from Crawley and Duckett, but finally Joe Root succeeds in chopping onto his stumps.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • 3 dropped already >.<
  • Bollocks, I hate Wednesday test starts. Never remember they are on.
  • It's Thursday!
  • Almost Friday for Vela

Anyway I'd say this is actually slightly even. Bowling conditions excellent, overcast damp. If Ali and Brook can kick on (well, Ali: Brook came on to the field already kicking), I'd be interested to see the Aussies batting on this surface. Maybe even getting some Anderson swinging for old time's sake?
  • The Fonz is in the crowd
  • Jesus

Slow down Brook
  • Crikey I love Brook when he's confident like this, what a shot
  • That's an expensive dropped catch from earlier
  • And we have to take the bad with the good. His confidence means he plays riskier shots, and that means sometimes he'll give his wicket away, but without it we don't get scoring a near half century in a dodgy situation in a final Ashes test in 40 balls
  • Off to bed now. England will either be all out for 300, or score something obscene like 450 by stumps.
  • I think it's more like they'll get 200-250, or something obscene. 300 would be pretty good from here on this pitch. Would like to see a few overs bowled at Aus openers tonight given weather forecast?
  • Well there we go. Not bad at all after being put in to bat. Now for about 2 hours at them in the dark early evening...I'd say a successful day looks like getting them 80odd for 3 or 4?
  • Happy with that day, so long as Australia has better batting run than the last two tests.

Brook being dropped cost 80!
  • thank fuck Marnus was caught. almost single figure strike rate. can't play test cricket like that anymore buddy. aus team trying to make a point - that 'old school' test batting beat bazball - hopefully will be shown up. get smith and khawaja out in the next ten overs or so and we're favourites I reckon
  • Funkstain wrote:
    aus team trying to make a point - that 'old school' test batting beat bazball

It has
  • Bit early to say no? Wouldn't say that Aus have batted as slowly as this, or anywhere near, in any of the other tests?

This isn't Waugh-era batting is it, or even Ponting. It's stodgy crap. Not saying it's not the best idea for Aus though - they clearly don't have the skills for fast scoring, and they know England are a spinner down, so knackering the seamers and making hay after lunch / tea is sound tactics. Or even just continuing like this - "get me out then" - as a draw also "wins" for the Aussies. Just boring as fuck
  • Vela wrote:
    Funkstain wrote:
    aus team trying to make a point - that 'old school' test batting beat bazball

It has

Yeah but cricket is the real loser.
  • Just smith to go - then let's laugh at Head and Marsh trying to play it safe as clearly these are captain's tactics, and we get batting with a slight first innings lead under the sun go go go
  • Broad will clearly be happy with that approach.
  • Perfect after lunch start. Aussies backed into a corner due to ludicrously slow, bullshit scoring in the morning session. "ooh so great we haven't lost too many wickets!" but mates you're still over 150 behind and now look. Rubbish tactics, rubbish entertainment. Wish I'd stuck a bet on England to win now, put my money where my typing is
  • 7 wickets at tea. aussies 90 odd behind with 3 wickets left.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Smith gone, that should be it now.
  • (It wasn't)
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Funkstain wrote:
    Bit early to say no? Wouldn't say that Aus have batted as slowly as this, or anywhere near, in any of the other tests?

This isn't Waugh-era batting is it, or even Ponting. It's stodgy crap. Not saying it's not the best idea for Aus though - they clearly don't have the skills for fast scoring, and they know England are a spinner down, so knackering the seamers and making hay after lunch / tea is sound tactics. Or even just continuing like this - "get me out then" - as a draw also "wins" for the Aussies. Just boring as fuck

It's not Waugh or Ponting (or even Clarke era) batting, but it's also not a typical innings either. It's quite clearly batting with a strategy that was meant to suit either the pitch or the stage of the game. Whether it succeeds or not will be known in 2-3 days.

It's not a case of bazball vs 2 runs per over. It's a case of bazball vs a team that naturally varies it's strategy.
  • Separate to that it was also some good tight bowling, some devilish ball movement, and batsmen valuing their wickets by not chasing wide balls that got them out last time.

Not that I saw the 2nd and 3rd sessions. But I assume that it wasn't a slogfest by the scorecard.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!