Cricket Thread - Crickets (Tests, ODI, T20)
  • Hopefully stokes and root can stick around a bit, get England through this tricky spell, push the lead to 200 then go full bazball for a bit, get the aussies in late on today
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Balls to that vela. The lack of any enthusiasm for scoring that session has meant England have been in control since. Sheer doggedness (tactics lol) meant Australia managed to catch up with first innings score but England are clear favourites and have been since that terrible Marnus morning

Call it what you like but Cummins and the Aussies have had no answer to England since the first ball at headingley
  • Watch Australia batting play for draw again as soon as they’re back in. Sorry rain won’t save you this time
  • What I will say: Lyon loss has been arguably the biggest impact on the series - the conversation would be very different I’m sure without that
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Well then. You've got to hope that's too much for the ozzies', surely? But stranger things have happened...
  • It's a high total, but they also have 2 days. Presuming Anderson doesn't make a century anyway.
  • Stuart Broad is retiring after this game. Seems mad given that he's still a young man.
  • Nah, we've got this.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Such a shame about the rain in the last year. Imagine if this was to actually decided the Ashes.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    Such a shame about the rain in the last year. Imagine if this was to actually decided the Ashes.

I feel like who ever wins this test are the real winners. Taking them home on a draw because of rain should feel like a loss for the aussies. This test could go either way though so may the best team win.
  • Did 2009 feel like an Australian win? Same situation.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Suppose. But still.
  • The results are the results. Obviously England would probably have won the 4th test and with current form they're definitely on top. But I'm sure there's a long history of series that could have gone the other way, this is just the most recent.

I'd love to have seen if Australia could have batted out 5 sessions though, because it does happen occasionally. Especially by teams like India.

I'm genuinely surprised that Broad is retiring. I hope Warner gets out to Anderson instead out of spite.
  • Vela wrote:
    Did 2009 feel like an Australian win? Same situation.

I dunno, I didn't watch that series. I haven't watched cricket for years but this has captured the imagination because its been so entertaining and competitive.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Classic Anderson
  • Cupatay wrote:
    Vela wrote:
    Did 2009 feel like an Australian win? Same situation.

I dunno, I didn't watch that series. I haven't watched cricket for years but this has captured the imagination because its been so entertaining and competitive.

There have been plenty of entertaining series including the Ashes in England (and one series in Australia, but most of them tend to be lopsided).

Australia at least has enjoyed some great contests between India and South Africa at home and overseas, with the exception of the incident that will go unnamed.

The problem with bazball focus is that it's only England playing it. It's not saving cricket just by virtue of it being popular in one country. India have already been awesome to watch with Kholi and Ashwin, although they seem to be undergoing a generation transition too.

Saving cricket would mean a resurgence of investment and development in West Indies, South Africa, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and New Zealand. And expansion.

Bazball can't and won't achieve that, it will simply cause the other two big teams to adapt to it.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I need more rain for my 2-1 bet to come good. It's settle for an England win. Ozzy victory is clearly the worst of both worlds and they're not really looking like wobbling, alas...
  • Funkstain wrote:
    Watch Australia batting play for draw again as soon as they’re back in. Sorry rain won’t save you this time

Go on...
  • Haha yes it's a complete turnaround, fair dos.

Who would've thought Australia would come out suddenly remembering they're the number one test team in the world and playing so differently from almost every other innings in this series? Not me. It feels like a trap!

We'll see how it goes today - if there is enough time, there's still a long way to go. But fair play to Aussies if they pull this one out of the bag, what a comeback from the previous two tests, thrashing the all-time successful run chase at the Oval by over a hundred runs
  • It's cos the aussies are just natural spoilsports. previously, they'd already secured the ashes so didn't give a toss about this test. Then Broad announces he's retiring and everyone hopes for a big glorious finale for him, so of course the aussies decide to just bat through to win the game without losing a wicket.
    utter bastards! ;)
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • I'm not going to count any chickens because a lot can happen in 3 sessions, but it is set up very evenly with 249 runs, 10 wickets, two injured bowlers, a record run chase, potential rain, a 5 day old pitch and a last Ashes dance for a few players, in addition to Broad.

Hopefully it gets the epic day it deserves, whatever the result.
  • Broad and Anderson are just teasing us before going five for each today.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Maybe we'll get a tie, rather than a draw. That'd be fun.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    Maybe we'll get a tie, rather than a draw. That'd be fun.

Only if it's decided by countback of dot balls
  • No idea why he reviewed that. Just wasted a review, there was no chance of winning that.
  • Not with the swing of the second new ball
  • It's got a fucking wire in it. Check out the movement
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Three down! Here we go! Ozzy dominoes!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!