SAVE THE PIKMANZ (Pikmin 3)
  • Day 5 for me, really starting to open up the multitasking elements of the levels. So much to do on some days and so many casualties to avoid.

Already the scope for each area I've seen seems to be a big increase over Pikmin 1, which I only completed on Wii not that long ago. It's a very pretty game too.

In a hypothetical world, this game would be perfect for multiplayer with 2 other people, 3 tvs, 3 Wii Us and a wii remote each, working together on massive levels.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Up to the second boss, but not happy with the number of casualties so I shall be trying again.

The lighting and detail in this game is lovely. Transparent effects, water, up close views of larger enemies.

My only fault with it is that Pikmin return to the area where they collected a trove of items from, which means when you move on, some of them end up getting left behind in dangerous places. And leaving them to die at night is untenable.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Vela wrote:
    My only fault with it is that Pikmin return to the area where they collected a trove of items from, which means when you move on, some of them end up getting left behind in dangerous places. And leaving them to die at night is untenable.
    That is initially annoying but could be extremely handy for speed-running and, as you can send a spare leader back to get them later on, I reckon the pros outweigh the cons.
    I'm on day 15ish and it just gets better and better. The bosses don't get any easier btw; I've sustained losses on all so far and my first attempt at the latest was a massacre.
  • What control methods are you chaps using ?
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • Vela wrote:
    That is initially annoying but could be extremely handy for speed-running and, as you can send a spare leader back to get them later on, I reckon the pros outweigh the cons. I'm on day 15ish and it just gets better and better. The bosses don't get any easier btw; I've sustained losses on all so far and my first attempt at the latest was a massacre.

That's a fair point re: speedruns. It's just a matter of breaking habit and remembering where I left them/sent them, rather than assuming they all went back to base camp. With multiple leaders it is less of a problem.

I just beat the second boss tonight. Took a few retries due to leaving a group of ten pikmanz somewhere on the map, but then figured out the boss strategy quite quickly.

Lock on - > rush is a devastating attack strategy.
    Kernowgaz wrote:
    What control methods are you chaps using ?

Wii remote/nunchuk with gamepad as map. I use that to send captains off on their own with smaller squads whilst using the other. Handy feature.
  • I'm still using gamepad only, though I'm tempted to try wiimote.
  • Do it. Makes it so much easier to aim where to throw them I find.
  • Yes, much better, thanks.
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    There's nowt wrong with the pad if you're using ZL to lock on properly.
  • I do find moving and aiming with the same stick (on gamepad) a little cumbersome, compared with the ease of the wiimote, which allows you to move in one direction whilst pointing in another, for example.

Strangely, though I've only ever played Pikmin 1 & 2 with a GC controller, the implementation of the same controls on the gamepad seems somehow clunkier. I never had any particular niggles with the previous games.
  • This game's genius on so many levels. Definitely the best-looking Pikmin to date, though that's to be expected on a current gen console, I guess. Still, there's so much charm in the Pikmin's animation and the attention to detail is astounding. I remember Edge commenting on how low-poly the terrain was (or maybe it was Eurogamer) but it just makes everything else pop. The visuals would've been way too busy otherwise, and that would've been to the detriment of the gameplay. 

I've got the same gripes with using the Gamepad that most of you have had. It's a handy tool when you're trying to keep track of wayward Pikmin, though. And coupled with a Wiimote and nunchuk it makes for a far less frustrating experience when sunset nears.

I'm also digging the new characters. I think I prefer them to the Olimar/Louie combo.

I've got a feeling this is one of those rare games I'll jump right into after the campaign comes to a close. I'm also itching to give the multiplayer component a go. Have any of you given it a try yet?
    3DS friend code: 2809-8024-1882
    AC: New Leaf: James (Ardis) 
    Wii U: BennyProfane
    Switch: SW-4893-5168-5693
  • I haven't tried any of the multi yet.

I have beaten I guess what are the first four bosses. Single figure casualties from each too, pretty chuffed with that. Of course, that is after several retries because I don't like mass failure.
  • Also: the 4th boss bonus item is hilarious.
  • Sooo many dead Pikmanz :( :( :(

Fifth boss is eeevil.
  • I haven't been counting bosses but I did my first no-death-boss yesterday.
    Spoiler:
  • Exactly my experience so far, and on that boss igor
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    These key rings have appeared in the Nintendo star catalogue (at least, they did over here):

5159-51f22d598f628.png

5158-51f2248268796.png

Very cute I think, thinking of getting the one on the orange.

Also still considering if I actually want a WiiU for my birthday in two weeks, mainly for this game (and Monster Hunter). First one gave me loads of stress with the time limit, and I didn't finish it, but that doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it. I just couldn't kill any more of those little guys, and decided enough was enough.
  • I've got a Wii u, I've never played any pikmins but love all Nintendo shizzle.  Is this the bizzle?
    Today is the shadow of tomorrow.
  • Really not sure where that bizarre language is coming from please excuse me.  Ahem anyway is the game good what what?
    Today is the shadow of tomorrow.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Re: time pressure, Pikmin 3 is like the little bear's Pikmin compared to daddy bear Pikmin of Pikmin 1 and the mummy bear's Pikmin of Pikmin 2, if that makes any sense at all. It's Goldilocks, it's a Goldilocks analogy, OK?!??!?
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • And snagrets are the big bad wolf who wins and kills all the three little pigs, then the bears, goldilocks, eats red riding hood, decapitates the axeman and then invades every other fairy tale to crush your hopes and dreams.

Then he shot bambi's mother.
  • @nina its a peach! I don't know if that affects your decision. I like the strawberry but prefer yellow pikmin.

(also: I got a pink pikmin letting from game)
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Re time - it plays a factor in how Long you have each day to do stuff (about 15 mins) but there's so much fruit you won't run out of juice giving you a game over state.

In contrast, in Pikmin 1 you had iirc 30 days to get 25 parts. After 30 days OLIMARS AIR RUNS OUT
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Speaking of time, I haven't had much to play this but after this weekend, during the last week of my holidays, I'm gonna aim to finish it. I've just popped the second boss on about day 8
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Re time - it plays a factor in how Long you have each day to do stuff (about 15 mins) but there's so much fruit you won't run out of juice giving you a game over state. In contrast, in Pikmin 1 you had iirc 30 days to get 25 parts. After 30 days OLIMARS AIR RUNS OUT
    Yeah, but it was hardly a punishing deadline as the game could be 100% in as little as 9 days (even without losing any pikmin).
  • Is there a day limit on this or is it when you run out a fruit juice ?
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    No day limit. Rumours are there's enough fruit for 100 days
  • Just did something rather important in the third zone that opens up. Well, beat the boss at least.

This has had somewhat of an unexpected coincidence ...

Spoilers:
    Spoiler:
  • Completed this yesterday. A little on the short side, but quality from start to finish.
    3DS friend code: 2809-8024-1882
    AC: New Leaf: James (Ardis) 
    Wii U: BennyProfane
    Switch: SW-4893-5168-5693
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Yeah, listening to 8-4 podcast and they say there's only 4 worlds.

They've said it's a 12 hour Crit path tho, that's about average, innit?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!