SAVE THE PIKMANZ (Pikmin 3)
  • I've finished it and still don't understand why there's a specific hierarchy.
    Spoiler:
  • Oh. Well I did the same.
    Spoiler:
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Browsing for info on Pikmin 3 speedruns I was amused to note that it is possible (with minor glitches) to complete Pikmin 1 in an insane 6 days!
  • Started on zero death run now and have made it through to day 6 so far and will be on boss no. 2 tomorrow.

In homage to the game I've also been searching out some of the more obscure fruits from my local purveyors which I have never tried before, just out of curiosity, because it occurred to me - watching my pikmin scurrying around collecting stuff the other day - that I've never eaten a fresh apricot. That didn't turn out to be particularly exciting but fresh papaya with a squeeze of lime hit the spot. Now, where can I find a guanabana?
  • Games make you healthy.
  • Yeah, except that my wife injured her neck playing pikmin the other day when a lobster jumped out at her and gave her a fright.
  • That's worse than the Resident Evil hallway dog!
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Finished this today, it was ruddy marvelous. Lost around 200 of the little blighters on the last level alone.

Only thing I was disappointed about was the somewhat lax leader boards where I can't compare scores with friends.
  • I started playing Pikmin 2 (Wii version) this evening. Lovely little game so far, only 3 days in. I note the caves are not subject to time limits? Wow, this might change things entirely.

Now I get to find out Louie's motivation for

(Pikmin 3 spoiler)
    Spoiler:
  • I didn't really click with Pikmin 2 for some reason.  Back on board with 3 though & loving it.  I reckon I am about halfway through it.  Lost a fair few Pikmin, but loving it.
  • So, I'm about 12 hours into Pikmin 2 now. It's hard to keep respectable numbers of black and white Pikmanz.

I have finally cleared all of the Valley of Repose. And most of the second area. Just started on the third one. I assume like Pikmin and Pikmin 3 there are going to be 5?

Some of the caves are easy. Others are fundamentally brutal. Especially when you lose 30 in the first level.

My new strategy is to send one captain (Louie, mostly) off on hist own to scout out the map. Some enemies are handy because they spit out homing rocks, so you can clear most of the map out without even taking any pikmin into combat.

18 days in and I have nearly 10000 dollars too.
  • If you need more white/purple pikmin you can revisit relevant caves as many times as you need to, to collect more, using candypop buds to maximise yield. Also, as the game auto-saves between each cave level, you can always restart if there's a massacre.
  • Oh, I have restarted many times. Some of those massacres are just ... unspeakable.

Especially that damn rolling queen in the Frontier Cavern. Dear god no.
  • Day 19 - 0 deaths. It's not especially tricky... until the final boss I suspect.
  • Final boss would be definitely doable without deaths, but you need to plan and react pretty well. It's a good clever battle I find.

In Pikmin 2 news, I'm currently about 80% done. Got 2/5 of the treasures on the final area, and done one of the three caves.

Of course now I see I need to go and farm about 60 more purple pikmin to carry one bit of treasure.
  • ...now I just need to go back and do the same again but in 10 days this time.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I should finish this this weekend
  • Found the time today & put this baby to bed. Really enjoyed the game, last level was a bitch(due to me trying to rush it) but a work of design genius, infact all the levels were surperbly designed.  Miles better than Pikmin 2 for me & a nice bit of Ninty software gold.  Seems the old man can still make 'em.
    rl35.jpg

Gotta say kudos to that, even if I had the time to really focus on this title I reckon I would lost a few on the end battle.  I wont publish the amount I lost on my suicide play through(just wanted it off the pile) as the Pikmin Society may want words with me.
  • The final battle's actually a lot easier once you realise that...
    Spoiler:
  • Reg quick someone's muscling in on your thread...
  • I know. Gonna change it.
  • Still need to play this.
  • Gamermike wrote:
    Still need to play this.

Might be my favourite game on WiiU which is saying quite a lot. Mission platinum levels are ridiculously hardcore.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Gamermike wrote:
    Still need to play this.

Me too. It was my freebie from Nintendo, and I've started it twice but never got more than a few days in.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    What the fuck has been going on with my thread.
  • I started one after failing to find one using search. Changed to Pikmin 4.
  • Has anyone tried for a platinum medal on the missions? I'm addicted to the treasure ones but fuck are they hard. You need to collect all the fruit on the level within the time limit for a platinum. If nobody has played it for a while you got a few free when an update went live.
  • Nobody? You really should - it's my favourite bit of the game.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    I'm just happy when I complete the mission. I can't do RTSs to save my life.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!