The return of: Call my bluff (entries time)
  • I thought the speed of sound was generally +700mph?
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Totally made up with Storph' and Nox' owning their institutions.

Excellent fred all.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I thought the speed of sound was generally +700mph?

768mph according to wiki. ELM LIED TWICE!
  • Pretty sure it changes with altitude, or rather, temperature.

Also great thread, enjoyed it lots.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Changes with height doesn't it?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    What, the frequency with which lies tumble from Elm's lips?
  • Doesn't it get faster the higher you go though, as the air is thinner?
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    I thought you had to put a tornado into top speed which isn't quite speed of sound but by pointing the nose down and using gravity you hit it.

I presumed the piss was when out of the barrier and not during as the speed was told, taking a piss at sub 700mph is pretty impressive.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Nah Tornados are fast, like mach 2+. I'm not 100% sure but I think it's the temperature rather than the altitude that really matters, the colder (and so higher) it is the slower the speed of sound. Or something. Maybe.

Edit: I used to live near RAF Cosford, Tornados in supersonic low level flight directly over my house was a part my childhood. *Flash* 'Wow' *BOOOOM* 'Awesome!'
    Where there are less particles to vibrate and bounce off of each other?  Extrapolate that out to a vacuum.
  • adkm1979 wrote:
    4.  Me and some of my mates once pinned a stripper to the floor and ripped off her clothing against her will.[/b] The stripper was a violent custody who had already resisted arrest and assaulted the three female Police officers tasked with putting her in a suicide suit.  There being no other female officers on duty, and her having been warned several times that this would happen if she continued to resist, the sergeant and two of us had to enter the cell to assist the female cops.  I was, thankfully, at the head.

Bit puzzled by this one. Why does being violent necessitate ripping someone's clothes off? Sounds a bit punitive.

Edit- because i didn't know what a suicide suit was, but now i do.
  • Yeah, it's not that being violent necessitated that (although violent custodies will often be given alternate clothing for various reasons) more that her violence necessitated the use male officers to carry that out, which obviously isn't ideal.

The rest of that story is that, while she's screaming, and gnashing her teeth, and spitting, and swearing, and lashing out, and generally behaving like a wild, rabid animal, she looked at me, stopped completely and asked, "Are you the only gay in the village?"  I had a laugh with her about it, and the others were able to finish the job without her going bananas.  She then needed to be a constant supervision, because she was madder than a box of frogs, and since I was the only one who'd been able to build a rapport with her, that was my job.  Scary lady.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    adkm1979 wrote:
    violent custodies will often be given alternate clothing for various reasons

Shits and giggles?
  • If they are so violent that the custody officer can't go through the welfare questions, which includes questions about any history/thoughts of self-harm/suicide, then the cell block have to err on the side of caution and grade them as high risk.  That means they'll be in a suicide suit.  There's also the fact that, if they're violent, they're more likely to be inclined to use clothing as a weapon.  That means they'll be put in a suicide suit.  Then there's the fact that a violent custody cannot be properly searched, so removal of clothing is the safest, easiest, and only certain way to ensure they have nothing on them.  Then you get things like needing their clothing for evidence.  Now, we don't need the clothing of anyone who is violent, but we need the clothing of people who have committed what may turn out to be a serious assault, or a sexual crime, and for fairly obvious reasons these are the crimes associated with violent custodies and high risk custodies.  Even of those who strip willingly, a great many think we take pleasure from getting them to remove their crispy, stinking socks, or look at their poorly-wiped arsehole.  I've heard more horrific stories from female cops of the things they've seen.  I've always said, you get used to angry men shouting at you, you get used to be alone in a room with a body for a while, you get used to loads of stuff, but you never get used to the smell of people we deal with.

I'm one of the few people in the world who has been on both ends of a strip search, so I have more empathy than most, but you'll struggle to find a cop who doesn't find the whole process disturbing.
  • For those who don't know (hopefully most) a suicide suit is a pair of shorts and a t-shirt made from quilted blanket material.  Near impossible to tear up, and impossible to fashion into a weapon or noose or eat without being torn up.  They're not called suicide suits in front of custodies, for obvious reasons, and are just called 'blue suits' at work, but I figured that was meaningless to anyone else.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Well this thread got dark
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I want a suicide suit. They sound natty.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I want to be buried in a suicide suit for irony
  • That was in reply to Yoss.  If it had been in reply to you, the thread just got even darker.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Holy shit
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Imma wear one whilst strolling along Beachy Head.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Imma wear one whilst strolling along Beachy Head.

Give it a month and they will be wearing them in shoreditch!

He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Are Onesies winter suicide suits?

No, it gets slower as you get higher, but due to temperature changes rather than just density, as the changes in density are cancelled out by decreases in pressure, if I remember right. For a constant Mach number, you'll be flying a much lower indicated air speed at altitude, but IAS is based purely on the number of molecules hitting your jet, so is much lower at height. It's still valid as a speed as it's those molecules that give you aerodynamic control, but it's no longer an accurate representation of how fast you're actually moving through the block of air you're in; for that you need TAS, or true air speed. 

Anyway, I work in knots, so the speed of sound at sea level is 660kts.
  • beano wrote:
    I thought you had to put a tornado into top speed which isn't quite speed of sound but by pointing the nose down and using gravity you hit it. I presumed the piss was when out of the barrier and not during as the speed was told, taking a piss at sub 700mph is pretty impressive.

I've done that in a Hawk; flown in a straight line at 48 500ft, waited until M0.85, then pitched over at 0G (as at 0G there's no lift, so no lift-dependent drag) until 60 degrees nose down, and then accelerated on to about M1.05. That was the first time I was supersonic and it was terrifying. 

The Tornado could do it fine without a dive, and it was designed for it, so once you got out of the transonic effects it was pretty benign.
  • Also FFS, my stories involved kissing a fairly famous singer, and pinching the ass of the future Queen, and you're all talking about the speed of sound??
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Anyone would think we're a bunch of geeks or something.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!