Westworld - Full Of Spoilers
  • For sure the insurance liability waiver is going to be a long one.
    The Forum Herald™
  • poprock wrote:
    This is kind of what’s bugging me about the show. Maybe it’s not as clever as everyone’s trying to think it is. Maybe it’s just a straightforward sci-fi about AI and consciousness.

Sure, but HBO has pumped millions into it and without two timelines it makes no sense. It's not at all straightforward.

Reason I cried spoiler over timelines is because I'm sure it will be revealed this season.

• Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I watched that video you posted in the TV thread Gonz, if the two versions of Lawrence didn't confirm it the two different Westworld logos surely did.
  • Yeah aye we see the Westworld logo in the present too, when the crew goes to sublevel 83 which is cold storage. And apparently producers tweeted that in this show. Even the logos are important.

Once you see it, you can't unsee it.
  • If you're not sure, just Rewatching ep 2 with william, old logo, totally difft people staffing Westworld, and then watch him pick his hat. Just how long it takes.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    @Gonz all of this I have completely not noticed. Mainly because I've had the show on, but not really been watching it as much as I should. I don't find it's a show that I'm hooked on, so I end up on my phone only half watching it. It's obvious I've missed a lot of visual threads.
  • I was the same m8, until ep 3 when I realised some stuff made zero sense. I was thinking ok there must be VR going on, looked online, saw the timelines posts, was like wotevs, watched 4 and was like aha, then I watched EPs 1-3 again and it made sense.

I'm with G about whether this is a good way to do a show. The actual show has to be interesting, and for me that only just about happens because of Hopkins, Ed Harris and Bernard. Everything else seems below par.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Agree with most of that, I'd even say Hopkins is almost dialling it in. Harris seems to be having a ball and he's very watchable. The rest of the cast are just ok. Don't think I can bring myself to watch the episodes again. In fact, I just watched the theory video.
  • Personally I think Hopkins has been the best I've seen him in a long time.

https://youtu.be/4kSGkGKwp9U
  • Good watch that Gonz, cheers.

Thought Hopkins vs Man in black was a good scene this week too.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I did enjoy that, also him taking a darker turn discussing stuff with the board member lady

I'll need to check the logo thing, I watched a few together to catch up the other day and I thoupght I saw a logo that didn't sit right, but didn't think too much of it, I wasn't really analysing it, just enjoying it
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • When I can be arsed I'm gonna start arguing about VR
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    legaldinho wrote:
    Personally I think Hopkins has been the best I've seen him in a long time. https://youtu.be/4kSGkGKwp9U

I liked that. And just reinforces how little I've been paying attention to the show. I may spend a bit of time re-watching and actually watch the bloody thing.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I was well in on this after the first episode, and the two timelines thing makes sense, but it just feels like an absolute mess. Its the whole problem with 'mystery' style shows, half the stuff feels like they're just flinging it at the screen and hoping some of it sticks.

Like Lost, essentially. And that shit bores me to tears sadly. Hopkins and Harris are great as expected, every other character I give no fucks about. I'll stick with it though, hoping it changes my opinion.
  • Yep, that’s pretty much exactly how I feel about it too.

Throwing so many mysteries at the viewer inevitably means some will be forgotten about, ignored, or glossed over once the main big reveal arrives.

I’m gonna stick with the first season and see how satisfying or not the big reveal is. I’m expecting one big reveal and A-HA! moment and then a resulting dramatic mystery for a cliffhanger.

Taking bets now on the season finale scene being a host shooting a human for realsies.
  • This week its finally going somewhere. Good episode.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Thought it was complete trash myself.
  • I've changed my mind.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Newton was great, there was some pay off to that repetition, the whole sequence of her going through the building was really well done. It did seem like a diversion though, another spun off sub plot. As was the MiB and Teddy bit, that was an expensive action sequence and the actors are great, but I want to get on with the story not watch clips of a very well made TV western.

Bernard and the whole corporate espionage  is just meh. They haven't established any rules for how this stuff will play, so it's hard to be invested. Much like the tech guys actually, they can be manipulated by a robot because the writers want them to be. The abandoned sub level seems a bit odd for a firm that can move valleys as well.

Background Yul Bryner was nice.
  • I thought maybe sections totally ruined the whole episode. The whole time it seemed implausible. Why would the butchers do as she said. Why did they not simply do the opposite and reduce her perception. Why was she shown around the place. Why did no one notice at all what was going on. Terrible, awful episode that established basically that there are no rules, anything can happen, and only morons are going to enjoy watching this tripe. I'm close to done with this series. Some people asked the same questions. Nolan said wait for ep 8. Wtf? This is episode 6. Awful, awful show. Not even the satisfaction of Arnold = Bernard being closer to established saved it for me. Fucking shite episode, worse than the last, which was the worst so far. Smells like a fuck up to me.
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    Agree on the butchers not taking control over her, just seemed to be plain dumb they wouldn't try that first. If that then didn't work then there's your dramatic moment. I'd let Thandie order me about however.
    Things can only get better.
  • tumblr_nsvgnuhfzk1s3y9slo2_500.gif
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    Oh Thandie...
    Things can only get better.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    How the fuck have they got clearance to alter her behavior then? It seems like a pretty major thing to have access to.

Why didn't anyone notice them talking to her? Or her holding a scalpel to ginger dick's throat? The walls are fucking transparent, presumably so security can keep tabs on them to stop this kind of bullishit.

Presumably whoever is dicking around with their behavior is allowing this to happen (the head security guy? Dunno his name) to help with the data stealing? Anything else and it's just plain silly. Maybe it's still silly.

I still enjoyed it despite all that bollocks, Thandie's tour was a great watch no matter how much my brain was calling bullshit on it.
  • Her having a look around was great, but it's hard to let them have a pass for how dumb it was when they've got people comparing logos in different scenes.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I was pondering if the Asian butcher could be a robbit too, placed in the labs to help others gain sentience as part of Arnold's plan. The 'We feel the same.' and 'How do you know?' bits stuck in my head, but I'm probably just making excuses for some shitty writing, and I'm not even sure what Arnold wanted/plans so I'll stop now before the nurse comes back and finds me rambling.
  • I don't care if there is an explanation in three episodes, it has to be plausible to believe now.

This was totally implausible, and hammy.

They had better pull a good episode out of the bag next
  • The slight incredulity of Thandie's walkabout didn't spoil it as a scene for me. Just elevated the sense of horror of the chop shop and pieces of meat laid bare. You guys over analyse stuff too much. Just sit back and enjoy the ride.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Nah. If one of the cleaners at my work walked through the office with a coil of cable and a drill under her arm I'd notice it as odd and wonder what the fuck was going on.

I have been over analysing, speculating and talking general nonsense up in here as I think that's what this thread is for, but all of the butcher/Thandie stuff in that episode whiffed a fair bit while I was watching it.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    ^
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!