I Wanna Get It On With Jahbulon : The Shmups/STG Thread
  • I was playing 1943 again recently, but it's just too repetitive to be worthwhile. Would prefer fewer levels but with distinct enemies.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Aye. I find the sequels to be pretty mindless. For some reason I find the original game quite compulsive. I can't quite say why as I find most shooters that popped up around that era to be pretty boring.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Thinking of shmups I'd love to play, I am hoping that one day Crimzon Clover will come to console. 

No sign of Battle Garegga and Dangun Feveron coming to the west on PS4. :(
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Limited edition of Ghost Blade HD ordered for PS4. Starting to build up a bit of a collection of shmups for PS4. It's this gen's 360. 

Raiden V Director's Edition or whatever is coming to PS4 later this year. Anyone see it going up for preorder, please let me know.
  • What else is available on PS4? I don't keep up with it at all nowadays, but I still wouldn't mind an old school shooter now and again.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I've kind of given up and look toward what I have on Saturn, DC and 360 when it comes to console shmups.

MAME is my friend for stuff I don't have. I haven't bought into Steam too much as I don't like the digital only side of things. My PC is pretty old now and I'd be dubious about the results.

There's the dream of a cabinet and real PCBs but I'm not really sure how practical that is.
  • Dubs
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodfeller
    PSN
    DandyDavid
    Steam
    Woodfeller

Send message
    Jamestown is the only one I have but I'd definitely recommend it.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    What's Jamestown like in single player? I thought it was designed for multi-player.
  • Dubs
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodfeller
    PSN
    DandyDavid
    Steam
    Woodfeller

Send message
    The only thing that indicates a focus on multiplayer are some minor branching paths on the final stage. That and the imbalance in the ship types, I suppose. I only ever played single player and really enjoyed it. Very accessible but if you crank it up to the highest difficulty you have something approaching the difficulty of Cave's games.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Will give it a look. Cheers.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Game Tengoku coming to PS4 and Steam

http://gameparadise2017.com/en/index.html

Odd little game that I have for the Saturn and was a diamond among the dross that Jaleco usually published. I've only really spent time with the Caravan modes but from what I saw of the main game it was entertaining. The Saturn game has arcade and original modes with a few extras. Tate mode too.

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Insane 2-ALL of DDP DaiouJou performed live. Point blanking the TLB. The commentary is entertaining.

• Anyone been playing the PS Plus title this month?

Sky Force: Anniversary Edition

It seems decent, but I really hate the progression system.

You can't play the next level until you've got enough medals from previous levels.

You essentially have to 100% the levels to progress in the game, but to do that, you need to purchase better equipment, which you only get by beating levels.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Sounds like a bit of a grind.
  • Yeah, I was playing it earlier this year (see a couple of pages back). The grind is just a little on the slow side, but repeating levels to do all the challenges or on higher difficulties is still quite fun and the later levels are pretty hectic.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I don't mind repeating levels to get better or to focus on side quests etc - actually I like that - but grinding just to get powerups seems a bit excessive.
  • Grinding should be banned from video games forever.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Even in Hot Coffee mod??
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Nah, more of that please.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    When was the last time anyone here did a 1CC?

I know there are a few highly skilled players here - @Dubs and Ikaruga for one - pretty sure there are folk who have 1CC-ed other stuff too.

I'm tired of getting so far and I really want to 1CC something.

i haven't 1-CCed anything post 16bit era. Have done Super Aleste and Super SWIV on SNES - but nothing since. I've done Raiden III and Gunbird 2 but not at  the default levels so they don't count.

Current status :

Gigawing - can get to level 5 - sometimes with a couple of lives. This is the game I'm probably closest to doing. I'm playing the DC version which is supposed to be a bit tricker as it has less slowdown. Level 5 requires memorisation so I need to get stuck in with score attack mode which lets me play levels in isolation or get into the MAME version and use save states to practice that level.

DoDonPachi - level 5 on the Saturn version. I dabble with the MAME version too but haven't spent enough of time on this one recently. I suspect this could be a possible if I focus on survival and forget about chaining given how generous this game is with bombs.

Mushi Futari - went back to this yesterday and dear oh dear my skills have degraded. Best performance has been mid boss of level 4 and bit past that. Could only get to level 3 yesterday after several attempts. But really can't get consistency with level 3 to get past it and have sufficient lives to make an assault on level 4. I know I should hang tough and get into the practice mode.
  • Does Nex Machina count? Got 1CC on standard difficulty on that and got the trophy. 

I’m not good enough to 1CC. Can get to final boss on Deathsmiles and that’s about the best I’ve ever done on a shmup. I never give them too long though before playing something else otherwise maybe I could do it.
  • 1CC on Arrange on Mushi probably shouldn’t count cos it’s essentially easy mode.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    1CC on Arrange on Mushi probably shouldn’t count cos it’s essentially easy mode.

Aye - I've done that too - and Novice mode - but as you say - don't really count.

I reckon I could do better if I played more regularly and stuck to one game but where's the fun in that?  :)
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I like to recall Elf of my Resogun 1CC, in the hope it still irks him that he didn't manage it (and is hence one trophy short of his platinum).

Was a while ago now then, and my leetness as dropped off somewhat I suspect...
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Right.

Have decided to go for a 1CC on Gigawing (again). My last "assault" on this had me consistently getting to level 5 on the Dreamcast version.

That's the last "proper" level in the game as it is followed by a final boss and a TLB if on 1 credit. The level 5 boss and the final boss (which the game calls level 6) look manageable but the TLB looks ridiculous.

Still. I'll have a go.

Video of a level 5 run I recorded. I've improved upon my high score since posting this (8 months ago now) but didn't get any further into level 5 than I do here.

I'm considering a parallel attack on on MAME as I can use save states to grind level 5. The Dreamcast versions' score attack mode lets me attack level 5 in isolation but it starts at a higher rank with me powered down. Maybe I should persevere with that mode as if I beat it that way then playing it in the main game should be a bit easier.

I will be cleansing my palate with Sega Rally on Saturn - into a groove in that game on TT mode. I'm hoping this will prevent me from getting stale and giving up.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Just played a few credits on both the DC port and in MAME. Using an arcade stick with both setups. The original version is definitely a bit easier. The level 3 boss for example has less HP. It's a bit slower too. That might be my PC but I've read that the DC port is quicker / has less slowdown.

Might grind it a bit on MAME. I created a save state today when I no missed onto level 4.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    What's a TLB?
  • True Last Boss

Usually have to meet certain conditions to fight them. Like get to end level without losing any lives or using bomb etc.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Most famous TLB is probably the giant bee at the end of the 2nd loop of DonDonPachi. Not sure but maybe that's the first example of one?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Off work today. Gigawing on MAME. Have figured out a way to put the level 4 boss away relatively easily. Can get through level 5 with 3 lives too - just need to figure how with one.  :)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!