The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Wild West
  • Given we are a good distance from launch I don't think there was anything too spoiler there but tagged mine as well.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    [For me, I really do think the reward is the content of the world.

IMO, the world was far too large for the content. Were the world a fifth of the size with the same amount of unique locations, I may see your point.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Without that distance its just another sandbox crammed with stuff so tightly congested you bore of it in a few hours. Counter to that are those who don't want to trek five minutes. Can't please everyone.
  • I think it would be a perfect game with dungeons secreted about the world. It's almost like that was the plan but it got shelved. The game excels at vistas and varied areas but the stuff you actually end up doing in them can get a little samey and dull.

Really hope they add some dungeons or a Hookshot with the DLC. And a dodge roll.
  • I read a bit about dungeons.
    Apparently a key factor that were designing to was the idea you could quickly leave any area by heading upwards then gliding away.

It doesn't stick 100% to this but does explain why there aren't more dungeons.

I agree though, I would have liked to have disappeared into a few underground labyrinths.
  • I thought the final dungeon was great in that
    Spoiler:
  • There's a spot on a river somewhere where there is a giant stone door and structures all around it that makes it look like an entrance to a typical Zelda dungeon, but it's all bricked up.

There's a few spots on the map like that. The lack of internal areas and caves did start to bother me towards the end. When you see that familiar broken rock in most Zelda games it's exciting, in BotW it's invariably some collectible you've already had thousands of and the adventure ceases there.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Try and remember the system its running on, the draw distance is like 15 feet. Bang it on a PS4 or a good PC and no doubt the world would have loads of 'em.
  • I don't mind a loading screen for a dungeon. I'd have preferred the shrines to be taken out the game and replaced with dungeons.

80% of the shrines were rubbish and too many were tests of strength. Even the best shrines brought an idea in, but it was over just as it got interesting.

I suppose they could have incorporated several shrines together and made dungeons out of them...
  • I thought that it would’ve been a good idea to have a few shrines have a similar theme and puzzles. Once you’ve done them all in a theme, a bigger shrine/dungeon emerges with a boss and better reward etc. This is in addition to the DBs. 

Also, no reason why they couldn’t have done environmental ‘dingeons’? Like have an open ruin that is scalable and has different parts to it and stuff.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Yeah diffirent themed shrines would've been nice. That same design and music really grated.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Without that distance its just another sandbox crammed with stuff so tightly congested you bore of it in a few hours. Counter to that are those who don't want to trek five minutes. Can't please everyone.

I did bore of it in a few hours.

And I don’t mind a 5 minute trek, but when I put in several hours into a session and find nothing of interest, it grates.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    And that's fine.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Proper dungeons were undoubtedly conspicuous by absence, but I liked the new stuff. Especially the memories which, while unoriginal, were a very memorable challenge.

But the content... Fuck...

So many leads left to follow...

Everyone of us must have found at least one unusual set piece that no one else has.
    And if we haven't, it's very possible to go though the game and find one.

The game is wedged, yo'.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Unless you're a Destiny 2 fan, in which case your brain is addled by any game that has no guns or ranking system.
  • Gambled on a pop in, looks like there's still spoilering going on in here so maybe it's safer than I thought.  Just had a couple of good focused sessions on this, on my way to the NE Divine Beast, which will be my third.  I'm learning to love it, but I've had to push through barriers - I'm closer to Yoss than most on this one, sitting down to a game and achieving fuck all in a session is never gonna sit well with me.

Still, I can see why it's a 10 for some.  As a concerted effort to mix things up they've done a fantastic job.  BotW2, with all its proper dungeons, will probably be an 11.
  • In a way it may be that proper dungeons distract from the world. If you have 10 focus points perhaps all of the smaller ones where you pootle around become nothing.
  • How much time you have per session is definitely going to be a factor.
    I think I only loaded it up eight or nine times but they were pretty much all monster sessions, double digits each time.
  • 6 divine beasts, with full 90min dungeons, and a touch of variety to the aesthetic of the shrines depending on area would be ideal.  I guess there's only so much they can cram on a cart though, it's mighty impressive as is.
  • The dungeons may need a fixed look so it’s clear it’s unclimbable.

• It's a problem in the game anyway. The majority of things to discover in the game whilst you're pootling about are Korok seeds. They're about as exciting as it gets - not very. I'd love to have seen more rewards relating to your special abilities in the world and some real challenges.

The DLC does go some way to alleviate the repetition, but it's all combat related sadly.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Unless you're a Destiny 2 fan.

Not me then. I’m pretty sure I spent more time in Zelda than D2.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message

I didn't like how much of a cornershop Hyrule Castle became by the end of my playthrough. I journeyed to the four corners of the kingdom, but in the end, everything I needed was in the Post Office.

Hard to get around, 'cause if you put HC at the end of a map you're bottlenecking the player's progress with mandatory corridors. And if you have to go and get a key or something to get inside, well that's just the removal of agency through busywork. Perhaps if the Castle had been on the other side of a small ocean or something (or up high in the sky), and though it was possible to reach early on, the means for doing so would be far more challenging.

It doesn't feel epic, and the encounters involved do nothing to help. As for the ending...

Spoiler:
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I went in with OP skills (that dodge and parry on a dubs level) so it felt cool to walk in there with pure swagger. Did not mind the way it was set up at all. Felt refreshing compared to the constant openness of the 70 hours preceding.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I'll be buying a switch for mario at some point because I'm 50% escape but I'll at least try the product before doommonging
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I'm 50% escape

DS am ape, confirmed.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Never go full.
  • Third divine brown done (NE), following Escape's order of service.  Excellent section.
  • I’m on the way to my second one. Started SE, going anti clockwise.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    I’m on the way to my second one. Started SE, going anti clockwise.

Interesting. Not sure if it was covered in the BotW design post that Tempy made in the Switch thread, but I'm guessing plenty of people started out there, even though it didn't appear to be the easiest.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!