Wii and Wii U
  • Booted this up yesterday to delete my Bayonetta data as its now Switch bound.

Is it me or is it a lot slower since the update that's disabled Miiverse?

I'm also surprised that the icon for it and WaraWara Plaza still exist, I thought they'd have gone completely.

I also disconnected the 320GB HDD I set up for it, turns out I never actually used it despite setting it up on the day of release. I never went over the on board memory.

Quite sad in a way.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I believe the slowness is in fact a thing since they took it out, saw people having issues on Mario maker too with slowdown and disconnects.

Think it’s still trying to connect all the time, which it obviously can’t, and nintendo didn’t bother removing the features tied to it... so my guess is it’s trying to always ping it but not getting a response.
  • WiiU has always been slow for me. Takes aaaaaaages between menus.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    WiiU has always been slow for me. Takes aaaaaaages between menus.

Mine was slow until that update they released a few months after it came out. Now its as bad as its ever been.

Aside from Champions Road on 3D World I'm done with it anyway. I'm down to 8 games on it now, a few more re-releases on Switch and I'll probably sell it.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I believe the slowness is in fact a thing since they took it out, saw people having issues on Mario maker too with slowdown and disconnects. Think it’s still trying to connect all the time, which it obviously can’t, and nintendo didn’t bother removing the features tied to it... so my guess is it’s trying to always ping it but not getting a response.

That's interesting, and very poor on Nintendo's part. Surely its possible to wipe all traces of it from the system?

I was expecting it to be quicker and cleaner after the removal of it tbh.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Mine was slow until that update they released a few months after it came out. Now its as bad as its ever been. Aside from Champions Road on 3D World I'm done with it anyway. I'm down to 8 games on it now, a few more re-releases on Switch and I'll probably sell it.

I’d still like to finish Yoshi and have another go at Champions Road. Plus I’d happily play the 2 Zelda HD remakes again in a few years but they’ll probably rerelease on Switch anyway!

I think that’s about it. Maybe give Xenoblade X a go.
  • Wind Waker HD is a good shout actually, I never got around to that but did TPHD.

I'm at work atm and am trying to think of all the games I have for it:

Assassins Creed 3
    Captain Toad
    DKC Tropical Freeze
    NSMBU + Luigi DLC
    Super Mario 3D World
    Yoshi's Woolly World
    Zelda HD x2
    Zombi U

I'm pretty sure that's it now.

Only four of those are exclusive, that falls below my 5 game rule of exclusives that saw me cull the GCN and Dreamcast amongst others in my huge clear out a few years back.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I really hope Nintendo are a bit more generous and do what Sony done with their PS3 re-releases and package them together.

DKC R/TF Double Pack
    3D Land/World Double Pack
    Galaxy Double Pack
    NSMB All-Stars with all Four
    Zelda HD Double pack

I'd be all over those.

They won't though, for one its Nintendo and secondly Sony was doing that to claw market share back, Nintendo aren't in that position atm.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Ah, NSMBU is a keeper. Loved that.
  • I would put money on them releasing Smash Bros Deluxe at some point next year, probably first half of the year depending on Metroid Prime.

I don't see them doing the Zeldas, not much love for Wind Waker. TPHD was a bridge to get people to BotW, I feel like they will be keen to stick to the BotW style gameplay for big 3D Zeldas for a while as well.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Ah, NSMBU is a keeper. Loved that.

Same, great game.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • hylian_elf wrote:

Mine was slow until that update they released a few months after it came out. Now its as bad as its ever been.

Every Sunday I sit down with the kids after tea & we vote on a multi to play. Smash has won the last 2 weeks & I was shocked at how slow it was to boot up. The system has never been lighting fast, but fuck, it took bloody ages to get going. Was extra painful as last weeks vote was tied with ARMS-winner stays on, which me & my daughter voted for, only for us to lose out of best of 3 rock, paper, scissors decider to the glee of the Smash fiends/sweats in my yard.

• I rarely replay 3D games, not entirely sure why.  I can't think of any off the top of my head, not for many years anyway (I did play through Halo CE on two difficulties at the time), but I'd definitely give Captain Toad another go.
  • I must've played at least one remaster, but I'm drawing a blank.
  • Aha!  Tomb Raider and Jet Set Radio on Vita.

Edit: Neither were remasters though.
  • @cindemon it really is slow now isn't it. I was wondering if it was just me.

Hopefully they put a bit more effort into a future system update, completely deleting the existence of Miiverse.

It's a long shot though, I wouldn't be surprised if there's never another update.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I think both HD Zeldas are well worth revisiting.
    WW relaxes the triforce quest and provides the fast sail which solves it's biggest failings. (rumour has it the fast sail was supposed to be in the original, which would have helped the triforce quest, but the hardware couldn't handle the draw distances required)
    It is short but tight.
    TP really benefits visually, the original was muddy and blurred, HD is crisp and I'm sure more vibrant. Also much better without motion controls so if you only played the Wii version that is a plus.
  • I agree completely regarding TP, really enjoyed my playthrough of the HD version. It's a fantastic Zelda game imo, would possibly be my favourite if it wasn't for the slow start.

I never got around to playing WWHD, despite picking it up on release. I'll probably play it in 2018/19, BotW is an amazing game but I'm already yearning for more proper Zelda.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Yeh i need to get hold of TP for my collection.
  • @Retro
    I think WW will scratch that itch without being too much of a commitment.
  • I'm thinking that too.

It's always been my least favourite of the main 3D installments, I'm interested to see how it holds up on a second playthrough.

On a side note my Metal Gear Solid preferences changed a fair bit after replaying them all in anticipation for MGSV. Maybe I'll appreciate WW more next time out.

The Switch has really clicked with me though, I'm secretly hoping for all these great Wii U games to get re-released so I can sell the Wii U and forget it existed.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I was randomly looking at wii u threads on reddit etc and kept seeing the subject 'disc rot'. Apparently, according to some, the wii u discs develop disc rot fairly quickly and some claim to even have BOTW discs starting to show it.

You just hold the disc up to the light, and if you see tiny pinholes through the label, it's a sign it's already deteriorating.

Maybe I'll sell my Wii u stuff soon after I get a switch...
  • Just had a look through a selection of mine, from hardly played to played a lot, second hand and owned from new.

I don't have any pin holes at all on the reflective part of any discs checked. A few had pin holes on the inner most part of the disc where you can see the artwork from the rear side. This was most common in games I have played more of. Gonna chalked it up to that particular part of those particular games spending the most time in contact with skin.

I'm certainly not going to panic.
  • This weeks eshop sale:

Wii U

•Mario Kart 8 (Nintendo) now €29,99 / £24.99 until Thu 11th Jan, normally €59,99 / £49.99*
    •The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD (Nintendo) now €17,49 / £13.99 until Thu 11th Jan, normally €24,99 / £19.99*
    •Mario Party 10 (Nintendo) now €17,49 / £13.99 until Thu 11th Jan, normally €24,99 / £19.99*
    •Super Mario Maker (Nintendo) now €19.99 / £17.49 until Thu 11th Jan, normally €39,99 / £34.99*
    •Super Mario 64 (Nintendo) now €4,99 / £4.49 until Thu 11th Jan, normally €9,99 / £8.99*
    •Spy Chameleon (EnjoyUp Games) now €2,49 / £2.24 until Thu 1st Feb, normally €4,99 / £4.49
    •Kirby's Adventure Wii (Nintendo) now €13,99 / £12.59 until Thu 11th Jan, normally €19,99 / £17.99*
    •Super Mario Galaxy (Nintendo) - €9,99 / £8.99 until Thu 11th Jan, normally €19,99 / £17.99*

* My Nintendo members only
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    I also disconnected the 320GB HDD I set up for it, turns out I never actually used it despite setting it up on the day of release.

With a hacked U, that'd hold almost every game released for it.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    With a coathanger, you can get almost any car
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Breath of the Wild was 13GB at launch. Highly impressive, but not without its problems.
  • I was randomly looking at wii u threads on reddit etc and kept seeing the subject 'disc rot'. Apparently, according to some, the wii u discs develop disc rot fairly quickly and some claim to even have BOTW discs starting to show it. You just hold the disc up to the light, and if you see tiny pinholes through the label, it's a sign it's already deteriorating. Maybe I'll sell my Wii u stuff soon after I get a switch...

Weird. Assumption being they stop working after a while? Mine all seem fine. Must be the epic amount of dust humidity and mould in my house keeping them safe.
  • Mine are all mostly fine.
    It's probably yanks rubbing cum and mountain dew into them.
  • Say I decide to buy a Wii U today (not 100% as there's only about 4 games I'm interested in, 2 of which are on Switch anyway) which of these bundles would people recommend? I doubt there'll be much, if any multiplayer.

Mario Kart 8 and Twighlight Princess
    Yoshis Wolly World and Kirby the Rainbow Paintbrush
    Super Mario Bros. U and Super Smash Bros.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!