52 Games Challenge: 2019 Edition
  • Earthworm Jim was a big regret. I played the first level or so quite a bit when I worked in EB at the time, thought it was great fun and funny, and bought it off the back of that. But by the time you get to that underwater level (level 3?) it's already getting rotten. I rarely even got through that glass bubble bit. In the end I think I used an invincibility cheat to see half the game, and it was barely worth that. Totally conned by the opening level and a few daft jokes.
  • I played it twice on SNES, each time getting past water level and giving up.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    You're smashing through the games of my childhood. Amazing soundtrack to The Terminator. Shocking for £45 though. Mean Machines gave it 47% iirc, looked and sounded great, played quite well but maaaassively fell down on those lastability points. I had it on MS before I got a MD. That one had 5 stages as it cheekily counted Tech Noir as a whole one.

Weirdly, T2 on the gameboy came out a year before and is almost the same setup as The Teminator. 4 levels, 0 lives, even touch an enemy and it's insta-death. First level infiltrate Skynet in the future, 2 is some T-800 reprogramming puzzle thing, 3 is the bike chase then 4 is shoot the T-1000 into the molten steel. That can probably be done in 10 minutes.
  • A mate had the MD Terminator back in the day.  Remember it being atmospheric, and way too unfair!  Think my mate used to get me to play it, just to laugh at how quickly i'd hit the game over screen.

He also had Robocop V Terminator, which was gold.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • Another game I rented the fuck out of.  Brutally hard by the late game, I genuinely struggled to beat (lol) Skynet even with save states when I played it again a couple of years ago.  One of the best of its type on the 16-bitters though, underrated.
  • 10. Crackdown 3 Xbox One - 8/10
    This game rocked. Tight little world with plenty to do in a fun, silly 8 hour campaign. Jumping, thrusting, Running, shooting, smashing and exploding my way through this was just the type of fun and nonsense I wanted, was sad to see it end. May do a little more orb hunting but got so much else to play that I may never come back. If not, you were Rad Crackdown 3, thank you agent!
  • I think I have The Terminator on MS. Might have to give it a go.
  • 8. Bonanza Bros (Megadrive)
    Another quick romp, this time on a game I'd finished before. 
    10 levels, 3 minute time limit on each. A few restarts on the last handful though. It's ok. I played this down the arcade a fair bit before getting it on the MD and always liked it. It's pretty simple until towards the end where there's only one route through the building that can get you the loot and out onto the roof in time, and it takes a few goes to sort it out. 

Mechanically it holds up well and controls fluidly enough. It pulls off the 3D-esque sliding between two 2D planes more seamlessly than a lot of titles around this time. The enemy AI is dumber than I remember. I thought the guards chased you around a fair bit more than they do but you just need to leave the screen and they reset back to their positions. This might be a megadrive memory issue with the porting from the arcade. Or it might be a monkey memory issue and they were always this dumb. 

It's not a stealth game by any stretch but I think this is the earliest game I've played with anything like noise or lines of sight mechanics. It needs two players to really come alive, you go up here, I'll go down there, all against the clock, one distract the guard, another goes for the loot. Works well enough on your tod though. One thumb up.
  • I loved that on MS. Played it for probably hundreds of hours.
  • Real games played without cheating will follow, promise. In the meantime
    9. Quackshot (Megadrive)
    I think I played this once on a demo stand in a shop and thought it seemed pretty good. It's entirely mediocre now. Back in 1991, not long into the MD's life, it was probably better, and compares well to other titles out around that time. The graphics are still very passable. The animations are patchy. Those that are there are good, but enemy sprites just wobble about a bit when you hit them. Or the sprites freeze and they fall off the screen. Donald Duck is a fat, clumsy waddling fuck and parts of the game really need someone quick and nimble. Getting that bastard into the tight spaces between traps that the game often requires is a real pain in the arse. And some enemies need a head shot that involves a jump then quick fire, which he seems to really not want to pull off. That sort of contrast is the only bit that provides any challenge. 

Some bits feel like a hangover from 8-bit design, other bits are the purest 16-bit tropes around. Ice level check, water level check, desert level check. Donald, a bird, eats roast chicken to recover health. Which is like if the characters in Streets of Rage ate Roast Chimps to keep themselves fit and healthy. Although he doesn't like water very much for a duck. Any water hazard and it's instadeath. I noticed a couple of times I got a bit too close to the edge of a platform near water and he died then too. 

You need to complete bits of one level to get equipment or clues to then unlock further bits of other levels. And generally hunt around a bit and solve a few puzzles to get through. It works pretty well and better than just having a straightforward linear platformer. Some of the music and levels create a nice atmosphere. I didn't buy it that day in the shop but if I had, I'd have enjoyed it. If you're hankering for some cartoon duck-oriented, retro fun you'd be better served by Duck Tales but I did that last year. It's a fun adventure game, easily finishable with a bit of practice. One thumb up.
  • A  new Bonanza Bros could turn out pretty well imo.  Two player co-op, tight design, bright retro block visuals, aim for the £12.99-15.99 price range.  Obviously I'd request other Sega updates ahead of it (probably a dozen), but there could be a good game in it for modern audiences.
  • I thought Quackshot was pretty mediocre when I played it a bit back then. Never bought it, thankfully.
  • Bonanza Bros is pretty bare bones as it stands. The old one is short so gets away with it. It would need a whole load of different traps, weapons and enemies to stop the rot setting in. More chaos, everything going to shit. But the framework is there.
  • Two finished off this weekend (Gardens started and finished today actually), as I prepare for Trials to engulf me. 

10. Horizon Chase Turbo - Switch

Lovely looking bright 'n chunky retro inspired racer.  Very old fashioned in the way it plays, but that's clearly the point.  Simplistic pedal to the metal twists and turns, rubber banding as front and centre as the rubber burning and passable HERE WE GO race choons.  You'll need to brake occasionally but it's mostly gunning the gas, letting up a smidge for corners and looking for straights to bust out the finite nitros.  It's not without faults, notably the campaign length (10hrs for me - far too long) and the need to mostly finish 1st or 2nd in every sodding race in order to progress at the final stages, but overall I enjoyed this.  Not exceptional by any means, just a solid mission accomplished/medium-firm back pats for the designers.  Also has pretty good split screen multiplayer performance and two players can tackle the world tour together, which is always welcome.  [7]

11. The Gardens Between - Switch

I really liked this.  Delightful, delicate puzzler that nails the charm offensive from the opening moments to the credits.  You're in charge of two characters at once in meticulously designed dreamstate islands.  The view sweeps and rotates around the duo as you push the stick forwards or backwards to control the flow of time - intrinsic to all solutions.  They'll stay the necessary distance apart for you to solve the puzzles correctly.  It's gentle rather than brain busting, with set-ups often being clever rather than ingenious, but as mentioned it ticked tons of boxes for me.  I don't like to be puzzled by puzzlers for too long, I tend to get fed up, and it'd be fair to say this one's on the easy side.  There's not much to it in terms of ways and means with the brain-teasing - you're mostly trying to light a lantern and progress to the correct section while holding it, which requires fiddling with the forwards/backwards mechanic by freezing certain items in time and so on.  It doesn't take long to find your feet, and therein lies the rub as the whole shebang only lasts two hours anyway.  This is something that should be known by any badgers tempted to go in as that'd be a deal breaker for many.  I paid £8.99 at 50% off and it's one of the best gaming experiences I've had this year, but it's absolutely not worth £17.99 until the world's officially gone mad.  Once again though: I loved it. [8]
  • 12. A Hole New World - Switch

Could well be the turdliest Moot/Muzzy game of the generation.  Not only has it been given possibly the worst videogame title of all time, it's also one of the least fun 8-bit indie bandwagon platformers I've ever encountered.  Ninja Senki EX pisses on this.  The Messenger and Shovel Knight do unspeakable things to it.  Rotten.  I'm actually offended by it, and the fact that it's received some fairly decent reviews.  Nope, this is not how you do it - you don't make an 8-bit game in 2018 with all the problems that might plague an average 8-bit game in 1988 and just add kinder checkpointing.  It even has performance issues on Switch, and the last boss is one of the most hideous I've ever encountered.  Turgid filth, and the worst game I've finished in three years of doing these lists.  Even the core conceit of normal/upside down screens is shit - build a game around something interesting morans, and if you can't do that at least do interesting things with the idea you had. [2]

zrFH0hF.gif
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Yoiks. Keep me out of this, I said Ninja Senki sucked too!
  • lol.  Oh well, at least that made for an entertaining review

Just finished Super Mario World.  No question this will remain my favourite 2D platform game.  Can't say much that hasn't been said before.  Only that in many ways it's exactly as I remember it.  Still looks, sounds and controls so nicely.  It's just as clever and laid back (and occasionally tricky).  Only difference; I remember it being a leviathon of a game that took dozens of hours to complete... but it only took 6 hours 30 minutes to see the credits.  Still have about 25 exits to find though, and I did remember how to find the coloured switches, so that helped.  Bugger it I give it a 10/10.

Also not really relevant but I think baby yoshi looks a bit like 90's australian funnyman trevor marmalaide

200px-BluebabyyoshiNSMBU.png041Trevor-Marmalade-2010-Foxtel.jpg
  • Ha.  He's got a Sandy Tokswig!
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Updated with
    04 - Horizon Zero Dawn Just Completed

Think it's onto the Octo Expansion now, see where I left that. Should probably also take Isaac, Slay the Spire and MHGU out of the list as there is no real end game for me there. Just like to pick up and play those when I need comfort gaming. Same reason as why I'm not gonna put Trials Rising in.
  • 13. Super Inefficient Golf - Switch

Another blind purchase in a sale.  The idea is solid - place detonators on a golf ball and guide it around 18 holes using impact explosions - but the execution is lacking.  It's the spin on the ball that ruins it, you can't really set up your shots with multiple detonations in a controlled way.  Inefficient, geddit? It's a shame, but what you get is still quite entertaining.  I mostly played it with straight ahead propulsion.  I suppose there's replayability in there with perfecting the holes, getting angles right for hole in ones etc, but it's not really skill based (although I suppose that's the sub-genre, if we're putting this alongside the likes of Zany Golf).  The closest thing I can compare it to is Monkey Golf in SMB; definitely fun while it lasts but a bit of a one-and-done.  [5].  Average, but I don't regret spending £3.49 on it.

c677e373-giphy%20(1).gif
  • CrossCode (PC) 9/10
    Cross Code is a bit like Secret of Mana with fast paced combat and also twin stick shooting.  It's about a girl who is playing a real life MMO (a bit like Westworld, except it's in a JRPG type setting, and you have your own fabricated avatars).  She's lost her memory in the game and is trying to find out why.  There's more to it than that.

It's a bit subversive in that you are playing a pretty standard JRPG story but with characters who are playing along with that.  It doesn't wink at the camera too much and works pretty well. Combat's really fun and challenging too, and it has zelda style dungeons.  Only done a couple but they're pushing me.  

It's a neat little game, and the only issues I have with it so far are the side quests (which are pretty dull and unfortunately necessary, if you want to be sufficiently levelled up) and platforming (the angle of the camera is such that it's hard to tell what layer of scenery you're supposed to be leaping too.  Frustrating stuff and adds little to the game). Well worth a look if you enjoy action rpgs, pretty cheap too.

My issues with the platforming never changed; but they ended up being my only genuine gripe on the game.  You can get around the grind and ignore the dull side quests but tinkering with the difficulty sliders.  Not an ideal situation but really not a big deal given I was otherwise loving the game.

The later puzzle dungeons, I found REALLY tricky.  Not just in solving the puzzles; a lot of them require precise twin stick shooting skills (under pressure)  on top of that.  I'm not particularly great at puzzles, and rubbish at twin stick shooting.  It was a bit outside my threshold of challenge at times.  Very humbling when I'm looking up a solution on youtube and still struggling to execute it in the game.

Story is quite good, though it probably peaks about halfway through with some great twists and turns.  I imagine one stretch in particular will stay in my mind for years as a great RPG moment.  And although I was indifferent to most of the party characters, I thought Emilie (the most prominent of the party characters) was fantastic, and her friendship with the main character was very touching in places.

So yeah, loved it, well worth a look if you like your action role playing games.  Coming to switch later this year and will probably double dip.
  • There's enough in that to make me keep an eye out. I used to love the action RPG genre as it was back then (Landstalker, Soleil, Story of Thor), maybe a twin stick shooter hybrid is what I need.
  • I'd somehow never heard of Soleil, that looks great.  Will have to fire up a rom.  

We just had a SNES back then, so it was all about Secret of Mana and Zelda 3 for that stuff.

Have been hankering for the PS2 Baldur's Gate games recently.  unfortunately it's one of those games where you need a $5000 computer to emulate it in a playable state.  Thought about buying an second hand PS2, but fear that would take me down an ebay rabbit hole of old games i always wanted... I spend too much on games as it is, haha
  • It was rather good, but on the other side of the fence there was a certain element of making do with the Zelda imitators.  The animal buddy thing worked quite well, I reckon it'd stand up to a first time retro playthrough pretty well.  Don't expect Zelda III but do expect a well executed substitute. 

I'm 80% sure I saw a PS2 in the loft recently if you want it?
  • Cheers for the offer mate, had better pass on it though.
  • 10. Zelda - Breath of the Wild (Switch)
    Mainly gameplay talk but spoilered because I don't want to say something that ruins a bit for someone.
    Spoiler:
  • So is that, like, 2/10 or something?
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • It depends on how many thumbs you’ve got.
  • Hoping to add BotW to this thread next week. I've gone back to it and played it quite a lot this weekend. Done the Divine Beasts, over 50 shrines and now just completed the map and found the Lost Woods.

It's the sort of thing I could play for dozens more hours - I can't help climbing all the mountains I see - but it's been 2 months on and off and I want to start playing some other stuff.
  • All the sonics
    While I'm knocking through Megadrive games, I thought I should have a blast on these one last time before the movie tarnishes precious childhood memories for ever more. I haven't played any of them in 20 years. I've played through 1 and 2 countless times but 3 + Knuckles, despite definitely owning both I could barely remember them. I think the snes was owned by then so started moving away from the MD anyway.

11. Sonic The Hedgehog
    First stage great, then gets mostly bogged down in slow-paced corridors until right near the end where it opens up again briefly. Best all around soundtrack. Graphics still impress. Ground spin was missed. Best bonus stages.

12. Sonic The Hedgehog 2
    Solves the slow-pace of the original. First 3/4 of the game is great, then loses it a bit but gets over the line in decent shape overall. Apart from maybe Lttp's Overworld theme, this has my favourite 16-bit era track in it - Chemical Plant Zone. The strengths of the first two became more evident to me once I started on...

13. & 14. Sonic 3 & Knuckles
    Given the pain this inflicted I'm definitely counting this as two. The Be Here Now of Sonic games. The levels are sprawling chaos. The first two games are chopped up nice and short so you can keep burning through even the lesser zones. Here, so many elements are repeated in near-identical configurations then you're chucked back through a pipe halfway around the level and you're back somewhere very familiar. Is it the same place? Sometimes. 
    It's crazy and very shit. I lost quite a few lives by hitting the 10 minute counter. Then restarting back at the checkpoint, you're lost. Is it left now? Up? Down? Was this the thing from before? I'd had enough of the game by the end of the first zone but pushed through to the end through 11 or so more of the fucking things. I never quite got lost but spent a lot of time wondering if I was even going where I needed to so I could get the fuck out of this never ending nightmare level and onto the next. 
    There isn't a single hard boss in these games but these ones are painfully slow to take down (especially when you're nearing the 10 minute mark and you're just standing around waiting for your attack window to open up). I don't know what's going on with the bonus stages. There's about 30 different ones - all of them lick bums. Tails is broken. There's a few physics bits, seesaws and stuff where you have to build up momentum. Unfortunately, your rhythm is completely screwed by having a little shadow copying your movements on half a second delay and fucking with the physics. He attacks bosses, and when they get hit you pass through them for a second or so, which means the precise attack I'm in the middle of executing has now been fucked, I sail through the boss and into his spikes / death ball / swirly blobs. That happened about a dozen times. 

Music ok. Sonic's movement has been played around with - he's got less heft and accelerates quicker, which improves it imo. His animation is the best here as well. The different shield types are a good idea but then there isn't any room given to let you play around with them. It could have added a lot of variety to have sections that needed the high jumps of the bubble shield or forward charging of the fire one. But that needs a bit of care and attention in the level design. Whittle this down to one game, keep the format and level size of Sonic 2, build some bits around the shield powers and they might have made the best one here.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!