Coffee and Tea
  • Yeah, all Illy is good and Illy Red is my go to coffee for general use.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Lavazza is also good but it's not quite as good as Illy imo.
  • Yup.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Dinostar77 wrote:
    Chaps any recommendations for high street ground coffee other than the Taylor's brand? I've tried all the different roasts and so called Taylor's flavours of coffee. Light-Medium roast is more my thing than a dark roast.

Union Coffee is really nice. I'm not sure how available it is, but I know you can get it from Waitrose and Ocado.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Lavazza is also good but it's not quite as good as Illy imo.

I bulk buy the lavazza gold when Tesco do it for silly prices.
  • Cool will try llly and union coffee
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Facewon wrote:
    The advice I got was its actually ok to boil quick, what you don't want is to let it boil for ages after. I would actually boik water first. Poor in then quickly get on the hotplate. It'll perk almost immediately, turn off and away you go.

Makes sense. Will give that a go.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • And this.

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Excellent info there.

Frothing the milk with a press? Cool. My Nespresso has the milk frother and heater attachment though.

But I like my coffee black - however I'll give that a try too.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK wrote:
    Frothing the milk with a press?

Witchcraft! I’m in.
  • Got an electric bean grinder and beans from my fave Glasgow spot for my bday. Yay! But I'm not 100% with how stuff tastes from my French press. What's a good alternative? Mako? Aeropress?
  • Ayo gav, how you grinding the beans for the French press? Usually you want to do coarsest grind possible and then give the coffee 5-6 mins to brew.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Aeropress is the future
  • Before today I just got the beans already ground. The instructions for this new doohickey says grind for about 10-12 secs.
  • poprock wrote:
    davyK wrote:
    Frothing the milk with a press?

Witchcraft! I’m in.

I’ve got a milk frother which is basically an all-metal press, so you can heat it up on the stove, directly. It’s great for doing hot chocolate, too.
  • Before today I just got the beans already ground. The instructions for this new doohickey says grind for about 10-12 secs.

Cool cool, I guess if the coffee you're getting out the french press is too bitter or overly strong tasting, you could try grinding for 5-6 seconds and brew that for 5-6 seconds in the french press, and if that's too weak try grinding it for like 7-8 seconds. Maybe you can find a combo that works. 

Or even try the 10-12 second grind and then brew for like 3-4 minutes instead would get a similar result. 

Or join them new fangled aeropress kids like wot Tempy dun.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Aeropress is good, it doesn't have the added bitterness you get from a French press. I would recommend (it does use a bit more coffee per cup though)
  • That's fine by me, it's the bitterness I'm trying to get rid of (make ur own rangers fan joke about that one lol)

Cheers rouj and sons.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I think (but have no idea if true) that French presses make more bitter coffee because the grinds sit in the water longer, and whatever causes that acidc/bitter taste has time to infuse. With an aeropress or espresso machine the coffee's made much quicker so the bitter flavour doesn't have time to develop.
  • If you're getting bitterness in a french press it's cos the coffee has been brewing too long, you can make a perfectly smooth cuppa out of them, just need to use either a longer brewing time with a coarse grind, or if you're using regular ground coffee then reduce the brewing time so you don't extract all the astringent stuff.
  • Aeropress for me. I’m also partial to Waitrose coffee beans - they do French and Italian packs
  • As far as supermarket stuff goes I’ve now found a passable one and it’s the Union stuff mentioned earlier. Seems to be having a bit of a marketing push at the mo and so is pretty easy source. Illy and Lavazza is not for me and kinda straddles costa level. IMHO etc etc.
  • Much success on the coffee front recently.

Started with a couple of minor setbacks:

Aeropress is sticky around the rubber bit that pushes through. Can't seem to lube it. Ooh err etc.

Got some coffee machine cleaner from local roasters. It didn't help that, and I nearly burned Ara with boiling water, but, I then cleaned my machine and my 2 stove top jobbies. They all came up a treat.

Did the milk frothing thing with a French press. It's OK. Handy in a pinch.

Speaking of my local roasters though.

Rumble coffee. In my hood (Kensington.) you can go direct to them and they grind it better than cafes do. And they're a little cheaper.

Their haymaker brand is awesome, but their other blends which they cycle through are all solid too.

(shabby hello.)

Having said all that, second success was discovering that Mocopan, which is an old Australian brand out of Preston, with a strong Italian heritage, appear to have some new ranges in small supermarkets. Trying to work out if it's iga only.

Anyhoo, picked up 200g on the weekend because we ran out and I was out and about and had to grab what I could find.

And it's freakin delicious.

Grabbed the Plenty Rd blend. Awesome coffee.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • The biggest home coffee making problem I have is beans going stale. We don’t drink enough coffee, basically. I already buy the smallest bags of beans I can from local roasters, but we still only get a third of the way through a bag before they’re heading way past their best.

Not really sure I can do anything about it, other than accepting that we waste coffee beans and throw them away.
  • You can freeze coffee beans if you have an air tight container.
    A small kilner jar would be ideal.
  • Age some pirate treasure maps.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    You can freeze coffee beans if you have an air tight container.

Yeah, but it’s hard to avoid condensation when defrosting, which can fuck with the beans. And after freezing and defrosting, beans go stale super-quickly. So you’d need to be planning ahead and defrosting slowly (in the fridge) one day (at most) before using … I dunno, it’s not an ideal solution when ‘planning ahead’ is not something we really do when it’s more about suddenly wanting a coffee.
  • Fair enough.
    Pirate maps it is.

If you compost or know someone who does coffee beans are really good for this. Probably need grinding first.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!