I Wanna Get It On With Jahbulon : The Shmups/STG Thread
  • davyK wrote:
    Followed RType Final with my other PS2 purchase reason. Gradius V

This (to me) still looks absolutely gorgeous. Still one tough game too. Absolutely glorious stuff and I would love to see what Treasure would do with Parodius in a modern machine.

Man a Treasure Parodius on a modern console would have me dripping like a fucked fridge. I loved Parodius, so crazy, couldn't help but smile.

I'm just waiting for my middle age gaming recovery, I have little appetite to play anything these days :/
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    shmups are the only thing I play at the minute. That has been the case for some time now. The odd Mario Kart session with the kids but nowt else.  Even Tetris has taken a back seat for now.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    JP PS2 arrived today.

A silver slim.  Some scratches on top but I couldn't care less about that as long as it works. Apart from that it's in a nice clean condition.

So all being well get this going tonight.

DDP DOJ is on the slow boat from Japan so won't be here for a week or two.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    JP PS2 up and running. Image was green until I changed the display setting from component to RGB.:)

PS2 Fantasy Zone is a splendid rendition.  Along with a flawless looking arcade mode , there's a remix mode with enhanced graphics and into-the-screen bonus post boss section in which you pick up the dropped coins. There also challenge mode which seems to task you with defeating individual levels with 1 life.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    It's a disgrace that something as classy as Gradius Gaiden on PS1 didn't get a Western release. It's a pretty mainstream series and its omission from EU/US libraries is hard to fathom - apart from the blind love affair with 3D at the time.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    DDP DOJ has arrived. Far sooner than I expected.

Just had a quick blast - nice port with plenty of features. I've only ever played it on MAME up until now. The collector in me is pleased with this though.  It is in immaculate condition as per the usual when buying from JP sellers.

I'll get this one hooked up to my rotated CRT next.

Espgaluda seems to be the next obvious choice.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Nice, also rotated screen, win
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Back to samurai aces.

I've been caning each level in practice mode but this game puts up a fight when it comes to a run. The bullet speed is the main problem. Leaving the 3rd power up keeps the speed down a bit but still tough. If can 1-all this I'll be happy. The 2nd loop looks insane.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Sturmwind coming to Steam and modern consoles.

I have this for the Dreamcast and it's a lovely game. It's quite old fashioned and it's a hori Euro-shmup - but it's one of the few games I've played in the last few years where I've wanted to see what the next level looks like.

The design is great. It's a bit "set piece" in nature and initially suffers from "what hit me?" syndrome but it's still really enjoyable. Some of the controls for the weapons require handling skills and are satisfying.

The is an EX version. The original had one or two places were you could sit and milk enemies breaking the score attack nature of the game (you get a code in the DC version for submitting to a website). So maybe that is fixed.

Lots of levels in the DC game - 20 odd if I remember right - with progress saving. And there's a 7 level arcade mode with no continues which acts as a taster menu. We can probably expect more in this.

Level 7 of the arcade mode.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asSlvRd8Dtk
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Payday - so have ordered a copy of Espgaluda for my JPN PS2 while prices aren't silly.

Firing on with Samurai Aces in the meantime. Can get to level 5 consistently but usually with only 1 life left. No real blockage - just still too many silly mistakes. Need to bomb a bit more.

Sampled the 2nd loop via the practice mode for a laugh last night. Bit of a step up in rank. :)
  • I played Shikhondo for first time on my PS4 the other day. It’s very meh.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • https://twitter.com/gosokkyu/status/1177901628856262657?s=09

29 year old cheat code only found out now because the developer shared it.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Have a repro cart of Musha given its bonkers price. Don't see me trying to activate that code...
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Had a quick few credits on Asteroids Deluxe today. Haven't been near it in a fortnight. Posted my high score - 57K.

I swear the cabinet is in a different mood each time I power it up. Sometimes it's an unforgiving bugger and today it just felt right.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Arrived a bit earlier than anticipated. PS2 Espgaluda. In immaculate condition.

ZVH7E3E.jpg

HkBDYc9.jpg
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    This is a lovely port. Arika have done the same job they did with DOJ. Tate, Arrange, good practice mode and replay support. Has a superplay bonus DVD too. Nice.

I'd love to complete the set by getting Ibara but that is crazy money. Will continue to slum it with MuchiMuchi Pork & Pink Sweets on 360. :)

Funny old game this. It flatters to deceive. It feels it should be easy but it isn't. Didn't manage to beat the level 2 boss first session.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    Sturmwind coming to Steam and modern consoles. I have this for the Dreamcast and it's a lovely game. It's quite old fashioned and it's a hori Euro-shmup - but it's one of the few games I've played in the last few years where I've wanted to see what the next level looks like. The design is great. It's a bit "set piece" in nature and initially suffers from "what hit me?" syndrome but it's still really enjoyable. Some of the controls for the weapons require handling skills and are satisfying. The is an EX version. The original had one or two places were you could sit and milk enemies breaking the score attack nature of the game (you get a code in the DC version for submitting to a website). So maybe that is fixed. Lots of levels in the DC game - 20 odd if I remember right - with progress saving. And there's a 7 level arcade mode with no continues which acts as a taster menu. We can probably expect more in this. Level 7 of the arcade mode. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asSlvRd8Dtk

Out on steam now.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I'm currently bouncing between Raiden III and Samurai Aces.

Using score attack on Raiden to practice levels individually. I've had to swallow my pride and dial it back to easy difficulty. The bullet speed and slow ship movement is simply too much for me. I can no death levels 1 and 2 and deal with level 3 quite well and I can consistently get the 1UP by taking out all of the cranes. I've even tackled the higher levels and only lost 1 or 2 lives at most in them. So I may be able to assemble a run that way. Whether I will be able to 1CC it at normal mode is hard to say - even on easy the bullet speed at 6 and 7 starts to get manic. A nightmare mix of patterns and cleverly aimed shots which is the Raiden hallmark. They seem to aim at where you are moving to - at least it feels that way. Depressingly, the default normal level is one notch below arcade level. But life is too short.

Samurai Aces runs are getting to level 5 - so the end is in sight. But again that bullet speed and ship speed doesn't suit my style. But will keep at it. The key to this game is not to move around too much - as too often I move into a bullet - staying still would have saved me. Both these games have a similar style so maybe I can tick these off my list with some focus.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Making progress with Raiden III.

Have been practicing individual levels using the score attack mode. Up until this week my score was around 6m with a 1 credit run usually ending in level 3 or 4 at best.

Broke 10m today - got to the level 6 boss.

The game has an expert playthough to watch but it's set at the arcade level which is nightmarish - requiring deep memorisation of paths and point blanking large enemies because of the bullet speed. However it has given me a tip to beat the 1st phase of the level 6 boss which I haven't been able to implement myself yet but a 1CC on easy now feels doable. The 1st phase of the boss features sets of slow moving indestructable orbs fired at you which act as a barrier against your fire so you are forced to sit at the side - which is bad - or go around them which has its own risks. It's important to dispatch that phase as quickly as possible. The expert run bombs the 2nd phase but I can manage that at the easy level without resorting to bombs - although me losing a life during that 1st phase does lower the rank.

btw - looking around the web this game is generally accepted as a tough bitch simply because of that bullet speed and ship speed. Even easy is considered a decent achievement for intermediate level players like myself.

The Raiden series is also guilty of little bastard popcorn snipers that come on the screen at the low corners and fire off a few bullets. A great many lives are lost to them so you have to memorise them at the higher levels and some of the boss fights where the wee buggers appear too.  Holding onto the homing missiles if you can helps too - but a big part of the skill requirement of this game is making sure you don't pick up the wrong weapon token which can screw up a run really easily.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    More Raiden III.

Beat my high score again last night. Copped out at level 6 again with 10.7m

Practicing levels 6 and 7 now.

Level 6 is a real sniper fest - is going to require proper route planning - and feels harder than level 7 - though 7 has a mental boss fight. I know I will have to bomb spam it to get a first 1CC.
  • I wish you could stream this stuff, Davy. I'd definitely tune in.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Heh. I'd need to buy some equipment for that.

The PS2 port supports replays and I have a couple of level runs recorded - I can ghetto record those and YT them. Have done that a few times before and was considering doing this with them. Replays are stored for each level so they can make for nice an snappy little videos.

I suppose me cursing as I stream would add some amusement factor.  :)

Have an amusing level 4 and 5 run - a bit bomb spammy - but might be of interest.

Bullet visibility is another feature of this game; or rather is another difficulty with it. Some of the explosions are large and have a smearing filter which makes the yellow bullets hard to see sometimes.

No 2nd loop with this game so I'm near to getting this. There's a little voice that is berating me for playing this on Easy but I'm not sure a Normal level run would be feasible for me without a lot of focussed level learning.

There's an arcade level and 2 above that which are ridiculous and for savants.
  • What are you playing on?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    PS2
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Is there such a thing as a video capture card that works with RGB SCART?

An OSSC is the obvious solution I suppose and use HDMI capture.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Was looking at the OSSC - it might be a better bet as it would cover most consoles I have, and could be used to work with a modern TV should CRT not be an option in the future. It isn't prohibitively expensive.

Would still need to get a capture card of course.

Ghetto in the meantime. :)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Has anyone tried out Mushihimesama on Steam?

It was a bit of a shit show when it was first released but there were several patches. The devs had a rep over at the shmups.com forums who was interacting and gathering feedback but it went a bit dead after a while and there are some vocal elitist arseholes in that community who complain about the slightest thing which can skew the overall view of a release.

I can't imagine a modern shmup ever getting an accurate port to a console or PC unless it is running on hyper accurate emulation of the arcade hardware so I'll always accept a different experience.

Was wondering how good Mushi is then. I was thinking of getting the PS2 port but it's not well thought off as it uses interlaced graphics for some reason and I haven't been able to get it running in shmupMAME.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    A wee snippet of me playing.

A replay of Raiden III level 5 in score attack mode. Just miss breaking 1.5m.

I balls up the boss on the first pattern which is annoying as its pedestrian after that. Me losing a life will have dropped the rank too.

This game is infuriating. It looks easy but drop concentration for half a second and you are screwed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pvy25NntUI0
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Carrying on with Raiden III. I've still do a no miss run of level 6 but improving all the time. Level 7 is quite managable up to the final boss which has one phase in particular which is nightmarish and isn't something that can be bombed through - at least I don't think so.

Sunk £18 on Steam and got Mushahimesama and the 1.5 DLC. Lovely game. I'm not convinced my old PC is entirely up to the task as it feels just a teeny bit off in places - I can't quite put my finger on it but I'm finding it very playable so no real complaint. Has a nice full screen TATE mode that I'm using my rotatable monitor stand with. Nice.

It's also indicating to me how much better I am at shmups now as I got to the level 3 boss on 1 credit on my 2nd attempt but level 3 does seem to be cliff with Cave games so will see how it goes. I don't want to lose my Raiden III momentum but this could be a nice palate cleanser.

3 shot types on offer and I seem to like the more focussed S type but early days as I've played a few credits worth. Its soundtrack betrays Futari origins and it's splendid and different enough to be equally enjoyable.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!