Let's make a gaming PC
  • You don't need a Windows licence. I don't have one.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Also, as we've mentioned before, you get what you pay for. Everyone looks at the GPU and CPU and thses builds tend to have low quality parts for the rest.

Building a PC with the kids is worthwhile imo, not that I've done it. When the Charlie is old enough we'll build his first PC, it's like a Jedi lightsaber thing.
  • Why wouldn't you need a windows license?
    (in a "they won't want to use linux or be illegal" sense)
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Make a USB that'll install Windows but after that don't activate it. There'll be a watermark at the bottom of the screen to remind you to activate but you can get rid of this fairly easily.

I think you can't personalise the desktop with photos but apart from that you'll have full Windows functionality.

https://www.howtogeek.com/244678/you-dont-need-a-product-key-to-install-and-use-windows-10/
  • i think Gurt's 'budget' build is still a bit high cost. my mate had sent this earlier: https://www.cyberpowersystem.co.uk/system/Ultra-5-Gaming-PC the 'shop' is also close enough to home to go shout at them if something went wrong. i tried to build the same spec on partpicker and got to about £450 and that was without a Windows 10 license apparently it's mainly to play fortnite, even though they all play on xbox anyway, someone must have decided PC is the way to go and now all his mates are doing that, so thinks he needs a PC for Fear Of Missing Out.

There's a free upgrade option to 3000MHz RAM available there, and 3200MHz 16GB for just £14 extra, which I would strongly recommend taking as there's something like a 20% difference in performance between slow and fast RAM with an APU.

That is an APU system, so it can play like Fortnite at low settings at over 60FPS, but beyond that it's not the most capable thing. It will get them going though.

There's a bunch of small upgrades I would recommend from that list, mobo, PSU, that would make a big difference when it comes to expanding and upgrading. But if they're that budget limited then I guess it's not worth mentioning. For really low budgets I would suggest getting a solid enough platform of B450 mobo, Ryzen APU, decent PSU, then keeping an eye on the used market for a GPU at a good price. Almost all of my GPUs have been used, my current one is, and you can get excellent deals if you look locally.
  • Cheers Gurt, will bear that (and others recommendations) in mind.
    To be honest, i'm pushing them away from PC if it's not what the kid really wants, so they're gonna chat with him and check...£500+ is still a huge amount for a kids chrimbo pressie, especially if ultimately no better or useful to them than the xbox they've already got, or if this time next year they want project scarlet etc.
    If he does really want one then i'll prob be back tomorrow! ;) Though might then focus on a solid base platform like you say, something that can then be built up over years rather than a relatively closed box with limited lifespan.
  • Here's my minimum price recommendation for a build without a GPU -

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor  (£112.14 @ More Computers)
    Motherboard: MSI B450M MORTAR MAX Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  (£92.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  (£63.18 @ Aria PC)
    Storage: Crucial MX500 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (£56.22 @ Aria PC)
    Case: Fractal Design Focus G Mini MicroATX Mini Tower Case  (£39.97 @ Amazon UK)
    Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 (EU) 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (£78.06 @ Amazon UK)
    Total: £442.56
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-12-02 16:01 GMT+0000

That would need a GPU to work, you can spend £50-100 for a decent used GPU on gumtree if you know what to look for, a lot of people list things waay overpriced, but you can generally haggle them down. If anyone wants advice on used GPU buying give me a shout.

Alternatively you can put an APU in there, the 2200G, 2400G, 3200G, 3400G, with the x400G chips being the ones with multithreading for 8 threads which I would strongly recommend. They are only suitable for very light gaming, older or graphically simple stuff. Newer fancy AAA games will be a struggle, but if you know you just want to do basic computer stuff and lightweight games then it's a solid budget option. You can add a proper GPU to it later for much improved performance, so you can consider it a good stopgap, the CPU can then be upgraded later too if needed.

The problem is that the Ryzen 5 2600 six core is just over £100 and offers so much more CPU performance that it makes almost all other CPUs a bit pointless. It really is the place to start IMO. The 2200G is £80 and is only 4 cores with 4 threads, the first gen of Ryzen and generally much slower. Then there's the 3400G which is basically like the classic 8 thread i7 but with decent integrated graphics, but is £120 which makes it hard to justify vs the 2600 and putting that small saving towards a used GPU.

There's ways you can scrimp and shave down on the above build, but at that point I would say just don't bother, save the pennies for later or get a console. That or look at other used bits and pieces like a CPU + mobo etc, plenty of which will be floating around as people upgrade. You do need the time to search about and a little expertise in getting worthwhile deals though, so not for everyone.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Just wanted to say hats off to Gurt for his sterling work in here.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • Yeah. Thanks Gurt, you've gone above and beyond. Tempted to tell my mate to buy that build anyway, just to show some appreciation! :)
  • No problem :)

Like I said keep in mind that if they use that list as it is above they will need to add a GPU for the build to work. Or go with an APU keeping the limitations in mind.

You can cut a wee sliver off of the build cost by going with 8GB (2x 4GB sticks) of RAM and a 256GB SSD, but it really wouldn't be a lot and it means more of a hassle later on when you need to get a matching set of RAM or more storage once you inevitably run out on the boot drive.

Actually if you really wanted to save money and get going with a PC you would probably skip a proper case and just chuck everything in a cardboard box. Not ideal with pets and small children obviously.

maxresdefault.jpg
  • If like an open build but there are too many glasses of wine within knocking distance.
  • Where's my mobo you Parcel Force mofos. Should've arrived this morning.
  • Mobo arrived and is in. Stock Ryzen cooler is so quiet I'll probably just leave it as is.
  • Got rid of the old watercooling, stupid loud thing. Now I have a near silent PC and it's something I should have done ages ago.
  • Yep, watercooling is highly overrated and over promoted, it can have some uses for those with very high TDP chips or in certain small form factor scenarios, but for most people a cooler with a a shelf life of five years is not that great an option to a less expensive big air cooler that will last decades and is often cooler and quieter. The Noctua D15s is what I have been using for a while now, a real beast.

• An utterly damning summary of all the bullshit Intel has pulled over the last year. AMD and any big tech company are just as capable of such nonsense of course, and they often have done so, but Intel has had a looong track record of this sort of thing. Hopefully they get their act together soon, and just focus on improving performance, next year is going to be spicy.

Just thought I'd share it as this is the sort of crap you need to watch out for from any company.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    It's new pc day. I'm gonna post the chillblast build I'm going for, please advise.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Right -

This would be £45 a month over 3 years. What do people think... Have I fucked it in one area etc

PROCESSOR: Intel Core i7-9700 CPU, 8 Cores / 8 Threads, 3.0GHz - 4.7Ghz
    Power Supply: Fractal Design 80 PLUS 600W PSU
    GRAPHICS CARD: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 6GB Graphics Card
    CASE: Fractal Design Focus G Case with Window- Red
    CHILLBLAST ME - BESPOKE WRAPPING: Not selected
    MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X Motherboard
    COOLER: Arctic Freezer 7 Pro V2 CPU Cooler
    Thermal Paste: Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Paste
    Memory: 16GB DDR4 3000MHz Memory (2 x 8GB Sticks)
    Case Cooling: Corsair ML120 Magnetic Levitation Fan - Twin Pack (Replaces 2 existing case fans)
    M.2 PCIe SSD: 512GB Seagate Barracuda 510 M.2 PCIe Solid State Drive
    Solid State Drives: Not selected
    Hard Drives: Seagate 1TB BarraCuda 7200RPM Hard Disk, Seagate 2TB BarraCuda 7200RPM Hard Disk
    Optical Drive: Not selected
    Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster Audigy FX Sound Card
    VR Headsets: Not selected
    Case Lighting: Not selected
    PSU Silencing: Not selected
    Networking Upgrades: Not selected
    Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit
    Anti Virus Software: Not selected
    Office Software: Not selected
    Other Software: Not selected
    Enhanced Internal Packaging: Not selected
    Monitors: Not selected
    Dead Pixel Checking Service: Not selected
    Keyboard & Mouse: Chillblast Avenger LED Keyboard and Mouse
    Gaming Mice: Not selected
    Gaming Keyboards: Not selected
    Gaming Surfaces: Asus Cerberus Mini Mouse Mat - Red
    Monitor Cables: Not selected
    Power Cables: Chillblast Power Cable
    Speakers: Not selected
    Headsets: Not selected
    Game Controller: Not selected
    USB Storage Devices: Not selected
    Printers: Not selected
    Surge Protection: Not selected
    Webcams: Not selected
    Accessories: Not selected
    Cable Management: Standard Chillblast Cable Management
    Speed Up Build Time: Estimated 7 - 10 Working Day Build Service
    Warranty: 5 Year Warranty, 2 Years Collect and Return UK only*
  • This is what I would pick if I were making a Chillblast build at that sort of spec, works out a few quid cheaper per month I think (£1202.51  full price) -

vsFjXRI.jpg

Unless you have some specific reason to go with Intel, the Ryzen 6 core 12 thread chip there is a better option for the long term, will perform equally well as the 9700 when paired with a GPU like that and has more overall oomph for the next gen of big games coming. I upgraded the PSU a bit there, that's a goodun and will stay silent nearly all the time, should last you over a decade. I matched your choice of the 1TB + additional 2TB 7200RPM hard drives, but if you already have some drives that are working fine I would consider just re using them, deselecting the HDDs and saving the money for a good size SATA HDD to run games off of. The Samsung 970 Evo is only £20 or so more than the one you picked and performs better, a strong boot drive is a good idea. It looks like you chose an audio card there, which you don't need if you just use the motherboard audio which should be more than fine. I would recommend a desktop USB DAC over an internal sound card these days anyway. Looks like you chose two extra fans there, just use what comes with the case - the mid range hardware should be easy to cool and you can always add a few more fans if needed.

Hope that helps.
  • Do what Gurt says.
  • Also, go 2070 over 2060. For the sake of £50 it's worth it.
  • TBF the 2070 Super which is the only 2070 they have is like another £210 more than the 2060. They have the 2060 Super for another £50ish, the difference isn't that great but check reviews to see how different games perform.

I would possibly recommend the 5700 over the 2060 but I'm guessing Chillblast just use the reference versions, and the AMD reference coolers are a bit naff.
  • TBF the 2070 Super which is the only 2070 they have is like another £210 more than the 2060. They have the 2060 Super for another £50ish, the difference isn't that great but check reviews to see how different games perform. I would possibly recommend the 5700 over the 2060 but I'm guessing Chillblast just use the reference versions, and the AMD reference coolers are a bit naff.

I bought my 2070 Super for £380.
  • If a 2080ti super comes out I might buy it just to spite DS and his silly pc.
  • My dad works at Nvidia and I've got two 2080ti supers in SLI in my PC.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    voices wrote:
    If a 2080ti super comes out I might buy it just to spite DS and his silly pc.

Its been a long reign as THE BIG DADDY but I'm happy to cede it. So much pressure.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Thanks for the updates. Will respex.
  • is the answer 'spend money on new hardware'? ;)
  • Yer but nuance innit.

It's basically just "get an SSD, and a new low end GPU if needed". SSDs can be really cheap now, though I would avoid some of the very low end ones as they lack cache and thus will slow the fuck down once they get a bit full. This is where I would start, though the 512GB version is better value if you can stretch to it.

I think mostly everyone here is on to SSDs by now, just thought it might be useful to show to relatives or for those thinking of getting back into PCs.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!