Just given up on...
  • Yeah fucking terrible game that. Deleted it within a week.
  • I thought the controls were pretty good with some practice. The level design is a touch on the lame side in places, but it's doing something different, and pretty well imo. I enjoyed it.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    Wolfenstein: The New Order
    I was really enjoying the game overall but the shitty fetch quest nature of the resistance HQ and parts of subsequent missions has worn me down. There was a point in the game where Blazkowicz makes a comment along the lines of 'I'm not your errand boy' and I whole heartedly agree.

Not sure how much self awareness there was from the devs when putting that in but either way, those parts seemed designed purely to increase the play time. And annoy the shit out of me.
  • Circuits [Switch]
    It’s a music puzzler, where you place components of a track on a circuit-style layout, in order to replicate a given audio clip. The gameplay isn’t engaging enough to make you want to hear the music, and the music isn’t good enough to put up with the gameplay.
  • I really didn't want to, but Superhot VR on PSVR. I love other PSVR shooters like Blood and Truth, but they're far more forgiving of the janky controllers.
    PSN : time_on_my_hands
  • Darksiders 3. For every step forward it would take 3 back. Dodge ruleset in a dark souls clone is vital, and it made some cardinal sins.

Final straw was a required ability just disappearing so I was stuck.

Glad it was gamepass.

Bright memory. weird indie fps done in unreal engine by a single dev. Impressive for what it is, and the single vision makes for some daring and disastrous design choices.

Glad I tried it, and glad I gave the dude some money, but again, also glad it was cheap.

I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Animal Crossing.  

It’s charming and lovely and all that but i don’t always have the chance to check in every fucking day and I’m tired of the consequences of this.  I know its always been like this and i thought that perhaps the Switch being as flexible as it is might enable me to get the time here and there but nah.  It’s just one big stress for me - especially when i read the thread or visit other islands - and frankly the rewards aren’t really rewards for me.  It’s just one massive treadmill of a few small and similar interactions day after day after day just so i can build another table or make some more pretend money to spend on more pretend furniture/clothes/tools.

I really love it and i really want to be able to enjoy it but it’s just not for me.
  • I still don't really know what's going on with it tbh, was enjoying watching Tilly and Andy bop each other on the head with butterfly nets yesterday though.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Animal Crossing.  

It’s charming and lovely and all that but i don’t always have the chance to check in every fucking day and I’m tired of the consequences of this.  I know its always been like this and i thought that perhaps the Switch being as flexible as it is might enable me to get the time here and there but nah.  It’s just one big stress for me - especially when i read the thread or visit other islands - and frankly the rewards aren’t really rewards for me.  It’s just one massive treadmill of a few small and similar interactions day after day after day just so i can build another table or make some more pretend money to spend on more pretend furniture/clothes/tools.

I really love it and i really want to be able to enjoy it but it’s just not for me.

I've not played it all week, and Nate lost interest way before that. I've not gone online with it, so don't have the "keeping up with the Joneses" pressure, but maybe that's a bad thing in terms of giving me an incentive to trudge through the frankly boring daily grind of the thing.

Lots wrong with it to be fair, the crafting sucks because of no option to craft multiples and the way your storage doesn't work properly, the endless repetition of lines from the main vendors and the constant item swapping just to get about the island. I know someone will be along to say you can build bridges etc but it's too expensive for the occasional dabbler, and there's no reason why the pole and ladder can't be used by pressing A at a river/cliff when you're not holding an item. Just little quality of life changes to make the thing less of a ball ache.

It's very cute, and I hope Nate gets the bug back and pulls me along with him, but I've given up on it without even realising it was happening. Now when we go back the place will be full of weeds. Great.
  • I must've seen 100s of tweets and I don't know how much coverage of Animal Crossing recently. I've yet to read anything that makes it sound the least bit interesting. One of those where I'm just never going to see the appeal.
  • AC is one of the games you know if its for you (assuming youve tried it once before) and even then its a matter of timing.

I bought New Leaf and didnt play it for a year. Then I started and played it almost daily for 3 years.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I think it's a game of daily drop in, do a few chores, buy some stuff, slowly improve your house and island. I think a lot of us, myself included, have been racing to "get stuff done", which is why things like the repetitive dialogue is even more of an issue. Short bursts, every day, is really enough. I'm just trying to unlock the terraforming, so I can iron out some of the issues with dodgy bridge placement etc.
  • Yeah, people have really gunned through it at a crazy rate. It’s not going anywhere so i’ve been taking a few days off here and there. When i’m stirred to play it I hope on. Didn’t bother with turnips this week, treating it like a rat race seems against the point.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I think there's a sweet spot regarding pace. Me and Unc are not playing enough to get the best out of it. Others are burning out.
  • There probably is, yeah. I also think it requires a mindset that doesn’t mind missing out on stuff. Like the fishing tourney - lotta people made that it’s on during Egg Fest, but y’know, there will be many more fishing tournaments? I find it easy enough to just ignore this stuff, safe in the knowledge Animal Crossing just carries on regardless. My museum here is more full of stuff in a few weeks than it ever was in the same time period in other AC games, it’s actually a bit sad that I might run out of fossils soon.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    It’s also nice to keep playing through the year and experience the seasons too.
  • Yeah,t here's definitely ways to min max stuff, and people have their preferences, but min maxing never really appeals to me in AC
  • Playing it to "win" is not the way to go. It's the ultimate in causal gaming. Switch it on, smash some rocks, pick some fruit, sell some stuff and spend a casual half hour calmly fishing then go do other stuff.
    It's meant to be played a little every day with no real set goals other than sorting out your little house and making your island a nice place to be.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • I definitely have some of the issues with the game itself that Sparky mentions but I also think I put myself off by reading the thread and seeing how everyone was going gang busters at getting everything and it just made me wonder what the point was if I couldn’t play at that pace. I quite like it overall so I may just dip in and out when I can rather than forcing the issue just because some internet men can put 40 hours a week in. I’m gonna keep away from the thread and just take an approach to the game that suits me.
  • The thing is if you go gangbusters and rake in millions of bells on Turnips then you just run out of stuff to do faster.

Contrast the use of tools for example: some people will just craft lots of flimsy tools and let them break, because if you do it enough you get something for it. Other people will use the customise tool option to make it so their tools never break (cos customising resets the used status). My middle ground is: I buy flimsy tools and upgrade them. I am in no rush to get the special thing for breaking something a lot, and I have no issue with my tools breaking here and there.

Other people will obviously feel different, but I'd drive myself mad doing it the other way. AC has always been a very different beast to other games, but as Daily Grind Games have started to transpose onto all types of games, and things like WoW lead the way for Destiny, it's very easy to get into the mentality that everything in AC is a checkbox to be done right there and then, and if you don't then you've missed it sucker, and that's it you idiot! What do you mean you haven't already done all of the House Extensions by the end of April? But unlike those games, if you miss stuff in AC, it carries on. You don't lose, you don't stop being able to play or contribute, you can't "fall behind". If you miss a bug/fish competition, you can just do it next month. Prizes will probably be the same, and in the end they're just items to customise with. There's no incentive beyond it. 

The way everything has been incetivised in other days sort of bleeds into Animal Crossing, but it's not a 1:1 match up. Stuff like the Nook Terminal rewards brings to mind login bonuses for lots of games... but at the end of the day who cares if you haven't got 20,000 Nook Miles? I have 11 Dodo Tickets and i've never used them. Who cares if you're not out their farming 300,000 Bells worth of Tarantulas from them? If people want to do that, and have everything finished, then that's cool. But don't let that put you off playing it how you want to.
  • I love that iv just read half a page here thinking AC was assassins creed.
    Even checked thread title twice.
    Damn I'm old.
  • The last two posts are brilliant.
  • Rake in Millions of Turnips

Assassin's Creed: Scotland
  • Outer Wilds. 
    Quite polished Fallout in space but it's so Fallout, which in turn is so RPG. 
    The same tasks you've done a million times before, the same mission creep after you talk to the first character in EVERY given quest. 
    At one point I did actually have a hope it would be different when my character said "Dont tell me, you want me to do something for you first..." But, no, they did want me to do something for them first. 
    It's only clever when you subvert the trope, just recognising it doesn't count.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Outer Worlds?
  • Yeh, that one. But I also gave up on Outer Wilds.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Same tbf
  • noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Tempy wrote:
    The thing is if you go gangbusters and rake in millions of bells on Turnips then you just run out of stuff to do faster.

Contrast the use of tools for example: some people will just craft lots of flimsy tools and let them break, because if you do it enough you get something for it. Other people will use the customise tool option to make it so their tools never break (cos customising resets the used status). My middle ground is: I buy flimsy tools and upgrade them. I am in no rush to get the special thing for breaking something a lot, and I have no issue with my tools breaking here and there.

Other people will obviously feel different, but I'd drive myself mad doing it the other way. AC has always been a very different beast to other games, but as Daily Grind Games have started to transpose onto all types of games, and things like WoW lead the way for Destiny, it's very easy to get into the mentality that everything in AC is a checkbox to be done right there and then, and if you don't then you've missed it sucker, and that's it you idiot! What do you mean you haven't already done all of the House Extensions by the end of April? But unlike those games, if you miss stuff in AC, it carries on. You don't lose, you don't stop being able to play or contribute, you can't "fall behind". If you miss a bug/fish competition, you can just do it next month. Prizes will probably be the same, and in the end they're just items to customise with. There's no incentive beyond it. 

The way everything has been incetivised in other days sort of bleeds into Animal Crossing, but it's not a 1:1 match up. Stuff like the Nook Terminal rewards brings to mind login bonuses for lots of games... but at the end of the day who cares if you haven't got 20,000 Nook Miles? I have 11 Dodo Tickets and i've never used them. Who cares if you're not out their farming 300,000 Bells worth of Tarantulas from them? If people want to do that, and have everything finished, then that's cool. But don't let that put you off playing it how you want to.

Couldn’t agree more with this.

Playing most days on my commute and lunch - just doddering along. I’m way “behind” some people but I’m just chilling and taking my time.

Didn’t bother with the fishing tourney yesterday and there was no FOMO.

Just take your time and play as and when you want.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!