The Apple Thread
  • b0r1s wrote:
    SB3 starting from £1600?? Lol
    Oh my heart!
  • Wife popped to apple shop, who said there isnt a new ipad air coming his year. But the guy in apple shop could be wrong.
  • Yeah, the guy in the shop that sells them would totally tell you.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • True that. She really wants one. I dont know much about apple stuff. Dont think she will wait till September
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Obviously it’s her choice, but with about 2 months to go I’d wait. New chipset just future proofs it for another year.
  • Apple kit doesn’t end up obsolete until about a decade down the line. Would your wife care about not having the latest model?
  • The IPad Air has a A12 Bionic chip in it, which is essentially the same as the Pro (but that version is enhanced). The standard iPad is an A10.

Given that the new Pro was only released a few weeks back. There’s not going to be a chip upgrade in the Air this year. The most you could expect is a form factor change to remove the button and bring in FaceID.

If the latest version isn’t the be all for Mrs Dino, I’d say go for it.

Ps. @Dino I’m expecting Doom Eternal back on Monday.
  • Surfaces - depending on how you use them - can swell and their battery pushes the screen out.

I think they might be okay as occasional use but I don’t like the one I have.

I’d get an iPad.
  • Surfaces - depending on how you use them - can swell and their battery pushes the screen out. I think they might be okay as occasional use but I don’t like the one I have. I’d get an iPad.

The battery issue was on the Surface 4, I think the later models avoid that. But that said, if you want an ipad a surface is not the right fit. Very different beasties.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Yeah, not at all the same beasts.
  • So Apple are almost about to release a new phone but I saw this thing on YouTube

(Okay this is an android but this was the first tech thread I saw) but I really want Apple to make an effort. They’re so lazy now.

This phone - the LG wing feels like my dream phone in form-handle to grip the phone vertically but full size picture for the video.
  • That’s about as un-Apple looking as you can get.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    It’s a fucking monstrosity.

Apple are all about refining the user experience. Mixing up their phones visual language for shits n giggles is a great way to kill their user base.

People don’t want to relearn how to use a phone every two years.

Companies like LG need to innovate in that space as they are getting spanked by Samsung etc. So let’s dream up some weird edge case where watching a video while holding my phone vertically is a great idea. It will die a death guaranteed.
  • I would argue: the iPhone was as unapple as you could get too! Or the watch or the iPod!

It might die a death but I think it would be better for anyone who watches YouTube videos holding the phone vertically.
  • Battery life must be non existant on that.

Which is quite Apple I suppose.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    You do realise you just cited three examples where Apple literally set the design language for the categories and dominated?

iPod - changed the way music was played at the time
    iPhone - literally changed the phone and made AppStore’s mass market
    Apple Watch - the only mainstream, successful wearable tech... even Android bloggers admit the competition doesn’t come close.

And yes there were devices out before that, but none of them managed to make them a success.

And is it really easier than just turning your phone? And it’s moving parts on a phone, which is never good.
  • “Setting the design language” does sound a lot like “doing something they haven’t tried before” to me. Apple can do new and cool things - Face ID, Apple Pay and so on. If Apple did it it could easily be the normal form of a phone within a year or two.

Yeah the moving parts are a bear. To be honest this is really a fudge of my ideal phone which is really a phone with a TShapr oled but this one has pocket fitting advantages.
  • I think the LG wing looks alright. Reminds me of those years when Nokia came out with unusual handsets.

Anyone know when the new iPhone is due?

Also I love my new iPad Air thing (has it a few months now) but annoyed they’re being out a 5g version soon.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • The iPhone is slightly delayed this year. I think consensus is November.
  • Anyone here know about ipad keyboards? I'm after something that I can type with on my lap. All of these keyboards look pretty precarious, like they might work on a desk, propped up, but I'm not at a desk very often. The magic keyboard looks so finely balanced that it will start tipping around at the slightest inclination in the surface. Are they usable on the sofa?
  • Can’t help with that question, but I can say that standard Bluetooth keyboards work fine if you could make that work - prop the iPad up somewhere and just hold the keyboard?
  • Yeah that’s the sort of faff I don’t want to get into. I’m used to placing it on my lap and have it gently roast my gonads.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    I have the magic keyboard and it’s by far the best keyboard for an iPad, I’ve tried loads of em. But even with all the weight in it on your lap if you lower your legs it can tip back because the iPad is just so heavy in comparison.

Having said that I’ve found that If it’s just on my lap and I’m sitting up it’s fine. If I’m slobbing then I can prop it between my legs to stop it tipping too.

One thing to bear in mind is it changes how you use your iPad. So a lot of people who reviewed it said you can’t flap the keyboard around the back and use it like that. But it doubles the weight of the iPad so why would you. The way you use it is to just pop the iPad off if you want to read a book or play a game etc. It actually works really well once you realise that’s how it’s meant to be used.

Oh it’s also a good stand in bed for watching films.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    And not pairing faff, pop it on and it connects. Keyboard is better than my old MacBook Pro too.
  • I don't think that's compatible with my iPad (standard one, 2019 model). 

Which is just as well really because its £300 and I'd inevitably end up buying it.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Ahh ok so I think Logitech do one that has been getting good reviews. It’s a bit similar in form factor to the folio keyboard from Apple but better keyboard.

Then if you want the straight laptop look alike, which is probably better for your lap, have a look at Brydge.

Btw, the trackpad stuff works very well on iPad.
  • Yeah I've been digging around and Logitech and Brydge so seem like the brands that do something decent for the £100 mark. Weighting still looks a bit of a problem on some of them. If you have space below the keyboard to rest your hands, like a conventional Macbook, you can keep it in place a bit. But a lot of them just stop dead after the space bar. I'll carry on googling.
  • Phew, what a not very fun afternoon and evening yesterday's were. Do not install the security update for Mojave from a couple of days ago. I did. It appears to be bad. Linky-loo.

I ought to start doing the Time Machine thing. And the Catalina thing.
  • Ooof!
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    AirPods update for fast switching and spacial audio is bloody amazing. Both in iOS / iPad OS 14

The switching stuff just works really quickly between devices. You can be watching a film on iPad pick up phone to make a call or play music etc and it just instantly switches.

Spacial audio effectively mimics Dolby Atmos in the AirPods and works very well. Have to say I rarely watch stuff on my iPad with AirPods in unless I’m on a plane or train but it works so well I might start popping in the AirPods when watching stuff in bed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!