Misogyny and other gender issues.
  • That's the CEO of okayplayer metooed then. Roots right on to immediate severing of ties.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • I must admit, as much as I want to be open minded I still don't get the gender debate fully. I don't understand how gender is both a social construct and yet people can feel born on the wrong body, or need feel gender mis aligned. And yet I know at least one person close to me who has a relation who from a very early age had issues that maybe puberty blocking might have helped. That child's teenage years have been hell.

I think its very hard to say but as a parent my feeling is that it is too early to do anything that will have a permanent lasting effect to a child based on what they are telling you. That may sound incredibly harsh but teenage years are by nature a mess. The concept that someone of 14 years of age can make such a life altering decision doesn't sound right. And yet, I would well believe there are exceptional cases. Ultimately I guess it must fall on the parents for such a decision but while I would support my daughter in any aspect you might take in relation to this I would draw to line at something so permanent so soon.
    SFV - reddave360
  • I dunno that I am smart enough to navigate it all, or that I have enough time to read everything around it. From what I've gleaned, the waiting time for treatments and therapy around this stuff is very long, 2 years or so, and then Puberty Blockers will likely be prescribed. They're seen of as a sort of "pause" button but there are arguments that the long term effects are not well known., though they have as far as I know been used outside trans medication since the early 90s. Happy to be corrected here.

I've seen suggestions that the link between Puberty Blockers and Hormonal treatments is painted in like that suggest  the former is a fast track to the latter, rather than people, after a few years of taking the former, choosing to take the latter. There have also been concerns raised about this being an attack Gillick Competency by Anti-Abortion rights. I have not dug into this completely, but I saw Jo Maugham had linked Bell's lawyer to the conservative Christian right* That's perhaps all besides the point, it's there.

I think reactions, debate, and discussions about this will be coming for a long time. I feel (hasten to stress, I feel, not claim to know the stone cold facts) the idea that it's one side drinking Kool Aid in the face of facts and logic and science betrays the partisan nature of it all. Trans voices and reactions to this stuff are ignored, not published. What happens to individuals like Bell cannot be mapped onto all trans people, just as the experiences of people like Paris Lees can't be mapped the other way. 

Trans people exist, they're not simply an aberration to be solved. The conversation is incredibly fraught and angry. Most health organisations seem to agree that a way to help trans people who are at risk from suicide because of the long amount of time it takes to access help and medication is... swifter access to help and medication. It seems like a circular argument that will continue to eat itself. I think better research and education is needed all around. 

Since Trans people exist and are currently living now, and many of them do not feel they have made a poor decision, they need to be considered in these discussions, their rights need to be contemplated too. They seem to be thrown under the bus too often. 

Perhaps I am completely wrong. I try to remain as open as possible. When I am not knee deep in Uni Work and writing, I try my best to keep up to date with all of this stuff, but I find it tough to navigate. Also not as well equipped at scanning legal documentation as you, but I will take some time to read the full judgement.

If this post is just an invitation for you to gloat go for it.

*I haven't seen any claims to the opposite as of yet, but I have also been working pretty solidly the last three days.
  • If treatments were properly understood and if proper care was taken to ensure treatments are applicable to an individual kids and their understanding of their circumstances then this wouldn't have happened?

I'm not going to go bat unconditionally for hormone blockers as a treatment for kids going through dysphoria, but there are examples where they have worked, and helped kids reach a decision before moving onto transitional treatments. Saving them the mental trauma of having to stay in a body they don't fit into and then undergo more extensive treatments that are required when transitioning post puberty.

Also it seems that what's going to happen is that kids are going to be properly assessed at the correct age where they have the intelligence required to understand the process, which should have been what was done from the start. So I don't get why you're in here celebrating like kids aren't getting hormone blocking treatment anymore, the article states that nothing has changed on child consent laws, they're just going to need to be properly followed, before kids are given puberty blockers. Which is what should always have been happening in the first place!

Also who the fuck comes in here to gloat about getting their viewpoint confirmed by a court for something like this months down the line, when it's the slimmest possible "victory" they could have achieved, to have a judge say "Umm, you need to follow the existing consent laws like all other treatments for kids?"
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Thank u Tempu, I am gloating indeed. Feels gud man.

I don't really want to argue, really, but the judgment is there if you wanna read it. It is actually very accessible, and as usual, cuts out all the shit. The only missing piece for you may be this "trans ppl exist" angle of yours. I mean, firstly, because that is just a given, and is not up for debate. But as I think you mean to direct your interlocutor to "how trans ppl will perceive policy" as an angle, well, In legal terms, when you are considering the interests of a child (which should be the only question here, when considering whether to take medical hormonal intervention to delay biological changes), you do not consider the interest of a third party, a totally unrelated adult trans person who might consider what happens to this child, or the policy that applies to this child, to be a statement or reflection on them.

Which is a polite way to say, this angle is totally irrelevant. And it is. It might be relevant emotionally for a trans person who is happy with their choice, which one imagines is virtually all of them, but that is because that person lives in a society that until recently (and arguably still) viewed them as freaks/ deviants/aberrations. It's a question of messaging and reassurance: making sure the child has the opportunity to shape their future is not a judgement on anyone's decision on their identity. But the question first and foremost is the interest of the child itself, not other people.

It's simpl to me but then I am a lawyer who thinks doctrinally, I am male who knows 0 trans people and actually on reflection has 0 gay friends. I am cis to the max, so mayb I underestimate the messaging part of all this.

• I'm glad that you're delighting in the misery of trans kids Gonz. 

What we really needed in trans healthcare is more gatekeeping. Sure, you, your parents, and your doctor might all agree that puberty blockers are in your best interest, but I suppose that having to go in front of a judge will prepare you for every other roadblock you'll face at every step of treatment, so why not. And if you kill yourself in the meantime, who cares, it's not like you were a real person.
  • [.
  • Thank u Tempu, I am gloating indeed. Feels gud man. I don't really want to argue, really, but the judgment is there if you wanna read it. It is actually very accessible, and as usual, cuts out all the shit. The only missing piece for you may be this "trans ppl exist" angle of yours. In legal terms, when you are considering the interests of a child (which should be the only question here, when considering whether to take medical hormonal intervention to delay biological changes), you do not consider the interest of a third party, a totally unrelated adult trans person who might consider what happens to this child, or the policy that applies to this child, to be a statement or reflection on them. Which is a polite way to say, this angle is totally irrelevant. And it is. It might be relevant emotionally for a trans person who is happy with their choice, which one imagines is virtually all of them, but that is because that person lives in a society that until recently (and arguably still) viewed them as freaks/ deviants/aberrations. It's a question of messaging and reassurance: making sure the child has the opportunity to shape their future is not a judgement on anyone's decision on their identity. But the question first and foremost is the interest of the child itself, not other people. It's simpl to me but then I am a lawyer who thinks doctrinally, I am male who knows 0 trans people and actually on reflection has 0 gay friends. I am cis to the max, so mayb I underestimate the messaging part of all this.

Ok, I understand that trans people existing does not legally relate to this specific case because it is about children who are not yet trans, but is this landmark case not potentially further emboldening a movement* that disagrees with the rights that trans people are fighting for? I feel considering this entirely in isolation is possible, but not really engaging with the complex reality of it? 

What about the concerns that this may set precedent that opens up access to abortion rights? Is that entirely scaremongering from people pushing a harmful trans ideology* or is it being ignored by people battling against that constructed ideology because it weakens their position? This might just be incredibly naïve of me, but part of my frustration with this stuff is the partisan nature of it from both sides. Better medical procedures, checks and failsafe's are needed to guide children and young adults through this psychologically and perhaps eventually medically,  but I am not sure that the people celebrating this ruling care about that at all?

I'm not trying to score a gotcha, these are just my concerns and questions.

*Movement, ideology, I don't know what to call them. There are clear sides that have been drawn, and each clearly have elements that do not operate in good faith, but the disparity in how those views are reported on and discussed seems too swing heavily in favour of the ant-trans way in the mainstream media.

That's a shitty thing to say, to be honest.

Agreed. Way out of line.

So was your post.
  • Got nothing to say about the ruling that existing legislation needs to be followed before puberty blockers can be prescribed then and that kids are still going to be prescribed them then?

Or was initial argument that kids at 10 getting them was wrong but kids who are older getting them is okay? I can't remember because unlike you my fee fees weren't hurt so badly in the original debate that I held a grudge for months on a forum then ran to post a court ruling to own the kool aid drinkers as soon as I could.

That's glinner level mate.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • If you want me to take you seriously on this, you need to stop treating it like an abstract debate where you can 'win'.

So was your post.

Nah mate, I was "gloaty" shitty, bit tongue in cheek. You done brung a machete to an open palm fist fight though. Can't you see that? "Delighting in the misery of trans kids?"

Hmm. Maybe don't start the fist fight without knowing the other side is happier to whip out the machete. Dantes response may be a bit harsh (although I actually see where he is coming from which I'll get to below) but your personal jabs were only ever going to provoke one kind of response. You did name check him in two posts.

I'm glad that you're delighting in the misery of trans kids Gonz. 

What we really needed in trans healthcare is more gatekeeping. Sure, you, your parents, and your doctor might all agree that puberty blockers are in your best interest, but I suppose that having to go in front of a judge will prepare you for every other roadblock you'll face at every step of treatment, so why not. And if you kill yourself in the meantime, who cares, it's not like you were a real person.

This is a very valid point which only can be shut down if every parent is right and always coming from the best intentions. And we know that's not the case. I still stand by my stance - I still think it is too soon to start messing with a child's body before 18 to this extent, that doesn't mean I'm right if that makes sense. I clearly don't know enough about it from the other end of the debate which may change if my personal situation was to change in that way.

Being honest i would question how any teenagers would be the best judges in this situation based on my own messed up teenage experienc of life... and yet I wouldn't question a teenager deciding their sexuality. I think the physical aspect and the potential permanent is the issue I have with it.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Read the observer thing. Knew there'd be some strongly worded counters...

https://thepsychologist.bps.org.uk/blow-rights-transgender-children

Seems worth a read to me.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • I recall Dante claiming that PBs were not a hormonal intervention, they just stop hormones, for example. Well this judgment I think puts paid to that.

It doesn't though. It says children have to take account of future treatments, that they can't have until 16/18 anyway. It doesn't say puberty blockers aren't a hormonal intervention.
  • If you want me to take you seriously on this, you need to stop treating it like an abstract debate where you can 'win'.

Well, tbf, I thought I was being "ozno" in character, I win you lose etc. It was, in retrospect, a cack handed attempt at making this more.lighthearted than it's been in the past, and I can see it had the opposite effect, for which I sincerely apologise - I was, trust me, trying to de-escalate in advance. I absolutely do not think there is a win here, just a question of which is the "least bad" choice until kids are mature enough to be confident what they want.
  • I accept your apology in that case and extend mine also.
  • I think they put it succinctly that if something is described as experimental and innovative how can a child provide informed consent?

I saw an interesting analogy about how people will be up in arms about hormones in beef but also have no problem with readily giving kids these kinds of therapies.

Personally I really dislike this “in the wrong body” chat. It’s really dangerous rhetoric to hear from welcoming people when most kids bodies are awkward and weird about their bodies and especially when those kids are in and of themselves uncomfortable for a variety of other reasons. This language needs to be far more carefully used imo.
  • I've had a read through the ruling.  

It's interesting stuff, though I found myself feeling concerned by some of the arguments taken.

First things first, I guess I should declare some interests.  I have a member of my extended family who took puberty blockers for a while, then ultimately opted to revert back to her original sex (not in the UK). Equally, obviously, I have in my time referred a number of young people to GIDS.  It's probably worth saying that, thanks to the insane waiting times, not one of those people has actually managed to see them to date.

I suppose, broadly, I have some sympathy with the ruling. The argument that you can't really give informed consent to an experimental treatment about which the evidence remains somewhat unclear is a fair one, and I think if this was the entirety of the argument I would be at peace with it.  (Though, you know, every treatment is experimental at some point...)

However the two bits that most had me raising my eyebrows were:

(a) The assumption that consenting to Treatment A meant that you are by extension consenting to Treatment B purely because the vast majority of people did so. (Despite the fact that Treatment B also gets consented when and if they make that transition, but also the personal experience of knowing someone who chose not to have Treatment B, at part thanks to having had A.  Anecdote, for sure, but not irrelevant.)  

(b) The notion that children can't consent for something if they don't yet have the lived experience necessary to understand the consequences of it.

(Both of the above are paraphrased, and may well miss some fundamental bit of law that I haven't understood.)

The judge was fairly careful with their wording, but none the less this seemingly opens up all sorts of issues, particularly the latter section.

Firstly, there are loads of things for which we consent children and adults alike for which they don't have lived experience yet. One of the fundamental problems with gaining consent is that humans are pretty lacking in their ability to imagine things, combined with our ability to tell ourselves "that won't happen to me". I understand the argument that a 14 year old might not yet comprehend how unhappy they would be if they lost fertility, or their sexual experiences were changed - but would counter that that's also true of many adults (even those who are sexually active).  If lived experience is to become the cornerstone of consent, then I'm not really sure how we consent for anything. At the extreme - if you believe that you're going to heaven when you die, can I meaningfully consent you for anything with a risk of death?

Or to put it the other way round, does this mean an adult can only consent to gender reassignment if they've had sex, and sufficient life experience to truly know that they would definitely never, ever, want a child? 

It's a particularly pressing concern given why we have Gillick competence in the first place - a case that arose to settle the question of whether contraception can be given to under sixteens.  Essentially it states that where a child has sufficient intelligence and understanding to comprehend what is proposed, then you no longer require parental consent.  

What this ruling appears to add to the mix, that wasn't there before, is the suggestion that for some issues, there is a default presumption that under 16s are unable to give consent to some treatments.  This feels like a retrograde step, as it appears to crack open the door for people to make further appeals that other things are "too complex" for children to comprehend.  Can any child really understand the long term effects of having an abortion on their psychological well being?  Can any child truly comprehend the long term health risks of taking contraception?  (After all, we've already established they're not mature enough to make decisions about other hormonal "treatments" that improve happiness, but have no physical benefit.) etc etc.

Gillick is incredibly helpful from a GP perspective in allowing kids to make their own decisions when their parents may be pressurising them into entirely different ones. This makes it feel significantly less water tight than it was (and it was already looking a little leaky).  

Notions of consent and capacity in medicine have, until now, rested largely on the idea that such issues must be judged case by case, person by person.  This ruling introduces - carefully and cautiously, but none the less - the idea of absolutes around capacity and consent for medical treatment that make me slightly nervous.  

My other observation about the case is that, certainly in the case of Bell, the decisions that were taken that rendered the greatest irreversible effect upon her - taking testosterone, and having mastectomy, were both decisions taken when she was over the age of 16.  (She was 20 when she had the mastectomy.)  I appreciate the suggestion that these decisions were made as a consequence of already having stepped down this path by taking puberty blockers, but none the less. It's evident that nothing magical happens on your 16th, or even 18th birthday, that makes you immune from regretting these decisions.

Sigh, sorry.  Waffled on for ages, and not sure I've added anything much. It's clear that GIDS haven't exactly covered themselves in glory, and their singular failure to produce fairly basic evidence is damning if not wholly surprising to those of us who've been in the NHS.  I wonder whether a more competent service, would have achieved a different result.  

One last comment though. The Observer editorial suggests that children who find this judgement distressing should "receive the professional support they need".  Conveniently, they don't say what they think that support is.  Right now, other than GIDS, there really isn't any. Meanwhile people are buying hormones on the internet, and experimenting with breast binders.  Whatever your view on the legal decision, or even on the question of gender dysphoria as a whole, it's clear that we're absolutely failing to support these individuals.  It doesn't feel like this has helped.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Indeed, by the logic of informed consent we should all stop treating all kids regardless even when we know they're ill as they cannot consent

At the end of the day puberty blockers don't harm anyone and can be stopped allowing the chemistry to take place

I didn't need puberty blockers due to having developmental issues but I spent years being monitored by a specialist at alder hey until I was adolescent but then we weren't as informed in the 80s

I don't know if I'd have asked for them if I was armed with the knowledge those of my age then are now, perhaps I'd have figured myself out tho but the option would've been welcomed while that happened

This judgement is heavily misinformed to the point it lacks any evidence and the arguement that it's correct is absurd, as such that's why the medical community who focus individual health first are appalled and cis men are celebrating their ignorance and hubris
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Wasn’t it down to the offerers of the medication to provide evidence that it’s okay?
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    The evidence isn't about that we know what that is. That's not what I'm talking about. I'm mearly making a statement. I'm not going to labour further. There is much work out there already done by allies and trans people which can be studied. It's easy to find if you're genuinely disinterested. You can start by just following trans people and activists on your socials. Just don't expect to understand overnight or understand completely ever, it's impossible to generalise.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!