Coffee and Tea
  • Dan_Dare wrote:
    It's been at least three days since my last coffee and I feel like ass biscuits. Payday on thursday is going to be glorious.
    Don't you get free coffee at work?
  • adkm1979 wrote:
    The popular face of drug addiction.

Heh, I fucking love coffee but I've not made a pot since last week. I never got this addiction to it that other people seem to get.

I won't stoop to drinking the machine based stuff that pretends it is coffee at work though, rather have a nice instant.
  • Even in the succession of shitty jobs that I've had in the past, I've always had access to a kettle and some free and vaguely palatable instant coffee, if nothing else.  Machine coffee (especially in workplaces) is almost invariably rank though, unless you're high enough up the food chain to have access to one of those poncy fresh-coffee-dispensing machines.
  • We aren't allowed kettles here, gosh knows why.

Getting a flask at the weekend to bring in stuff.
  • There's no H&S thing with kettles (other than them being PAT-tested obviously) that I'm aware of, unlike toasters e.g. so I can't think why not.
  • I work for bastards then, pure and simple.
  • Still want one of these proper machines. I love my stove top and for £20, you can't get a better coffee maker, plus I grind my beans every morning too OO-ERR etc. BUT....... there's still nowhere near enough pressure to get the crema forced out the coffee and that's the best bit.
    "Our music's strong enough to stop a bomb...putting pressure on you kids like I'm a soccer mom"
  • @Turtle: If the grind is fine enough and you tamp it down slightly (ignore the instruction manual), you should get some crema, nothing like an espresso machine though.

When you do decide to get an espresso machine I can recommend both the De'Longhi EC330S, and the Gagia Cubica Plus, as fine entry level machines.

The De'Longhi has quite a cheap looking plastic body, and rattles a lot when the pump's in action, but the espresso it produces more than makes up for this. Lots of lovely crema. I had mine about four years before the pump died, it really should have lasted longer.

The Gagia is what I'm using now, and it's a belter. The whole thing is made to a much higher quality that the De'Longhi, and while the pump is still noisy, the sturdy metal body stops any vibration. The coffee is superb.

Oh, and again, make sure the grind is fine enough for an espresso machine, otherwise you won't get that sweet crema, and you'll just be making expensive filter coffee.
  • I set my grinder to the finest possible setting, but the last time I pressed it down in the holder thingy, the safety valve blew when it was on the stove from the extra pressure and I literally shat myself.
    "Our music's strong enough to stop a bomb...putting pressure on you kids like I'm a soccer mom"
  • Heh, that must have been too heavily tamped. Just try compressing the coffee slightly, it'll take a bit of practice but it works.

An espresso machine would be better though :).
  • The one thing that stops me from buying a stove top and using it often is cleaning the things. Either I can't get all the coffee out or I get coffee all over my kitchen. Any top tips?
  • I leave my stove top to fully cool before I remove the coffee holder for cleaning, the coffee goes hard and comes out in one go with a good whack, or you could just stick the holder under the tap. Remember, just rinse to clean, no washing up liquid.
  • I leave my stove top to fully cool before I remove the coffee holder for cleaning, the coffee goes hard and comes out in one go with a good whack, or you could just stick the holder under the tap. Remember, just rinse to clean, no washing up liquid.

Yeah, I wait a bit, and then just blast it under the tap. Every week or so I put water in it with no coffee and boil it to give it an extra clean.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Mocha from Starbucks in Bristol. They did not ask my name.

Bristol is winning

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • da559a41.jpg
  • He's not Spartacus? Who's Spartacus then?
  • Hahahaha

gold

g.man
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Coopers Green wins the thread. Next thread. Everyone GTFO.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Heh, that must have been too heavily tamped. Just try compressing the coffee slightly, it'll take a bit of practice but it works. An espresso machine would be better though :).

Right, clear something else up for me. For this crema-oozing tamped method to work in a stove top, I'm assuming that the coffee has to be level with the top of the holder thingy after you tamp it down, so there is no air gap when you screw it together? I'd imagine that tamping does does nothing if the holder is half full of coffee as the pressure would just lift up the tamped coffee and loosten it all as the steam came through, thus creating no "extra" pressure to get the crema out?

If that's the case, you'd have to make a seriously strong cup each time or make it for two people. I have the smallest Bialetti stove top you can get, but absolutely packed in, it would do 2 strong cups.
  • Dan_Dare wrote:
    It's been at least three days since my last coffee and I feel like ass biscuits. Payday on thursday is going to be glorious.
    Don't you get free coffee at work?

I do, but the whole office seems to have been engaged in a caffeine arms race long before I was hired. Coffee rounds here produce  the most violent and sour coffee I think I've ever tasted. Sticking to tea from now on. 

My home supply is from a fucking wicked new indie that opened up a few months ago (run by a kiwi, obviously) that sells absolutely delicious beans. There's no going back, which is kind of a shame when it's £3.50 for 100g of the stuff.
  • Even in the succession of shitty jobs that I've had in the past, I've always had access to a kettle and some free and vaguely palatable instant coffee, if nothing else.  Machine coffee (especially in workplaces) is almost invariably rank though, unless you're high enough up the food chain to have access to one of those poncy fresh-coffee-dispensing machines.

Our Pro VC has a sweet espresso machine in his office. We've been known to abuse our access to it when he's not around...
  • Blue Swirl wrote:
    Coopers Green wins the thread. Next thread. Everyone GTFO.

Er...
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Every so often the internet creeps in here.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • It should know better.
  • @Turtle: The coffee doesn't have to be level with the top of the basket, just put the same amount in as usual and gently tamp. You'll get some crema, but I stress, it'll be nothing like the quantity or quality you get from an espresso machine.

So buy an espresso machine :D
  • I'll try it, but if it explodes and sprays my lean, muscular body with boiling water I'm suing the internet.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    I'm sure it will come off looking like a Norsca ad or something.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Hey, I know that bridge g. Starbucks was just to your right there. Keep walking and that's where I work (right by Temple Meads).

Have requested a stove top from the wife for fathers day.
  • IMAG0023.jpg

The grinder. It's a little on the large side. I might find a new top bit for it, because really, when am I gonna fill that at home? Was having trouble getting the grind fine enough the other day, and then today I just twisted once and boom. Espresso machine next on the list.
    I'm still great and you still love it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!