Same room multi-player - a call to arms.
  • Only tried the demo, but from what I played Quarrel had plenty of potential with 4 players.  I bought it in a sale a while ago, I think it was 200 points.
  • Roujin wrote:
    DID SOMEONE SAY SAME ROOM MULTIPLAYER!? THERE IS NO GREATER SPECTACLE FOR ONLOOKERS AND PARTICIPANTS ALIKE THAN TO ENGAGE IN PUNCHING EACH OTHER IN THE VIRTUAL FUCK. Source:  
    JUST LOOK AT THAT GRIN.
  • I do a similar thing once a month at mine. Bit of retro Powerstone 1 & 2, Chu Chu Rocket and Track and Field and Virtua Tennis all on the Dreamcast are all well received along with Micromachines on the Megadrive and MK on the SNES.

If you can hook a laptop up and have some fight pads the Streets of Rage Remake is great too (I think Beats of Rage is available for the Dreamcast via Senile Team if you just want the console version).

Sonic Racing Transformed is a great X360 4 player game if you want currentish.

EDIT: Sonic Green Hill Speed Runs are good too if people don't mind taking turns.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Cheers. Sonic Racing is a definite - noticed Worms collection and Rayman Legends too.

Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • The battle mode thing on Sperlunky is good for some same room action. Reminded me of old Bomberman sessions.
  • I miss single-player multi-player. It was fairly popular back in the day. It generally involved persuading someone to buy an SNES at launch, and then everyone taking turns at SMW until it was done in one sitting.

I actually prefer playing single player games like this. One of the things I miss most about being in houseshares with mates.
  • Eric wrote:
    Sonic Green Hill Speed Runs are good too if people don't mind taking turns.

You talking Sonic 1 on the MD?

I did that back in the day with a few friends. Best time was 26 seconds.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Yep Sonic 1 and that's quick! I could only get 28's. Looking at YouTube you're only a second off the fastest:

Something I'll target for tomorrow night
  • Was great fun, its the jumps near the begining that are the toughest part, once you hit the loop your golden.

Might have to boot that up myself tonight, although resetting on the PS3 probably isn't as quick/easy to do.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Was that PAL or NTSC? The PAL version is treacle slow on the Megadrive. That video looks to be close to full speed - hard to tell with youtube in the way. I suppose the XBL/PSN versions run at full speed.

Sonic Jam on the Saturn has a TT mode for all the levels.

Anyhow....for all your tournament organising needs....draws out those double elimination formats that are good for repechage systems and odd numbers of contestants..

http://www.printyourbrackets.com/

• I always thought I had a decent time on Emerald Hill Zone act 1 (Sonic 2), because I'd found a way to bounce off multiple enemies with the speedy boots (ha! Sounds childish now - speed sneakers?).  My PB was 23 seconds, but this guy destroys it:

• Couldn't agree more with whoever said multiplayer games being designed for online play has resulted in things being dumbed down.
    GT: Knight640
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Anarchy Reigns not having local multiplayer is a reason someone at Platinum Games has to die.

Power Stone 2 remains the best local brawler. Depressing that Capcom have forgotten the franchise.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I have both Powerstones for my DC but haven't really spent a lot of time with them.
  • Had some locals last night. Megadrive micro machines, DC Bomberman, Track and field & Wacky Racers.
    All well received except Wacky Racers 4 player windows don't really give you a good view of the track.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I was deeply disappointed by Wacky Races. You can barely tell where you need to go in 1 player. It just didn't play that well and it seemed pretty tough in a frustrating way.

Didn't know there was DC Bomberman game though.

Which version of MM did you play on the Megadrive? The OCD person in me has made sure I have the complete set - MM1, MM2, MM96 and MM Military... I would like to use an MM game in my office gaming league but even though it is a great multi-player game it is really for those of equal skill level - the game can be frustrating for those who don't know the tracks. Falling off at every bend gets old pretty fast. I suppose if I pick tracks that have run-off areas mostly instead of drops it may be suitable.

I'm thinking of using Pacman Vs on Gamecube this year in the office league. Might go the whole hog and use a 2nd GC with its own screen and the GBA player instead of using a GBA. Would be cool to try it that way. This is one game that really needs Wavebirds - wouldn't fancy trying it with wired controllers - all that swapping would produce an almighty tangle.
  • This visual style is great as is the Looney tunes game but you do need to learn the tracks.
    The bomberman game is a US import 'Bomberman Online' nice cell shaded graphics!
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    checked that Bomberman game out on youtube - looks quite like Bomberman Generations on Gamecube.

The king for me is still Saturn Bomberman though..

• davyK wrote:
    I would like to use an MM game in my office gaming league but even though it is a great multi-player game it is really for those of equal skill level - the game can be frustrating for those who don't know the tracks.

The barmy 8-players on 4 pads pool table level from MM2 would be a riot though, regardless of skill level.  It really worked well too (permanent forward motion, simply left and right inputs iirc).
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Need to give MM the once over.

Just emailed the guys in work with this proposed schedule:

Mid Feb (Winter Olympics): 1080 snowboarding (Gamecube) TT or versus race TBA. I have the gear for playing this in LAN mode - will depend on availabilty of suitable displays.
    Mid April : Pacman Vs.(Gamecube)
    Early June (Wimbledon): Mario Power Tennis (Gamecube again - last year was a big Dreamcast year with Virtual Tennis and Typing of the Dead)
    End Oct : Bishi Bashi Special (PS1)
    mid Dec : Tetris (version TBA)

Might squeeze Micro Machines or Bomberman in - but it's hard to get numbers together over the summer.
  • Last night was MM96, and all but me were newbs to it. Once they got used to the steering flipping when you go down the track it was a riot. Its pretty tactical especially when you have to queue up for the sponge ferry!
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Micro Machines was aces. Why can't I buy it on XBLA, dammit?
  • I'd actually play that online.  Ferry Fiasco is one of the great examples of videogame design - three players trying to smash each other off the sponge, while a fourth player attempts to sneak around by the taps, only for all three sponge battlers to realise what's happening, stop fighting, team up and edge towards the bottom of the moving sponge to force the shortcut taker off the top of the screen.  Absolute genius - I've only seen that happen once, but it was one of those moments of sheer joy (even though it was me sneaking slowly along the rim of the sink).
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Although, Mashed was an excellent update on the formula. I was quite up for checking out the 360 game from the Mashed team (who were the original MM team) but I couldn't get any Badgers interested. Sadface.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Rush Rush Rally Racing is a modern take on MM - it was released on WiiWare. Think it got a Dreamcast disc release for some reason too. Did it get a release on XBL/PSN?

MM96 is the slickest of the series - good choice.
  • nidhogg out on steam today.  still £9.59 like even with a 20% launch discount...
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Nidhogg is great. No exploration though.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!